PDA

View Full Version : Corroded Nipples on Wheel

bikser
09-23-2019, 09:31 AM
I received a bike in partial trade this weekend. Obviously, well used-care questionable. I'm going to strip it down, clean up, etc.

I noticed a number of the nipples (black I assume) on the front wheel are what I would call corroded. Kind of a white crustiness on them, doesn't rub off easily. It's a carbon rim, standard build. My first thought is to rebuild the wheel with new nipples. While I am willing to do that I would rather not due to time availability. Any other solutions e.g. to clean nipples? Wheels seem solid otherwise, true.

Thanks

Mark McM
09-23-2019, 10:44 AM
White layers of corrosion sounds like these may be aluminum nipples. Aluminum/carbon joints are highly prone to galvanic corrosion. Normally, aluminum/carbon joints include some type of insulating layer to prevent a galvanic reaction, but if the spoke holes in the carbon rim are just drilled holes, then the aluminum can be exposed directly to the carbon. If corrosion is showing on the nipples, then it just a matter of time before they start breaking. I'd recommend rebuilding with brass nipples.

bikser
09-23-2019, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I was definitely going to rebuild with brass.

ChainNoise
09-23-2019, 01:00 PM
Yup, been there done that. Honestly not even worth it to salvage or try to. Buy all new brass nips and spokes. I learned the hard way and boy was that frustrating!!!