PDA

View Full Version : Riding bikes IN the airport?

Irishgirl
09-22-2019, 10:06 AM
In my travels this week down in Atlanta and sprinting through ATL to get to my gate I suddenly stopped mid stride to notice a bike with a helmet resting on the handlebars. I looked around to see if I could identify the rider and with minimal time to investigate further i was back to my sprint and conference call (sometimes this is just how it is).

When I finally settled in getting the last standby seat next to the window, sitting next to a 6’4” linebacker build in the middle seat and a little old lady truly she was tiny. I briefly have thought to wondering if a 6’4” person would be more comfortable in a window vs middle seat... definitely if I had the isle I would have offered a trade.

I got back to my thoughts about the bike and wondered how does that work ? - riding a bike in an airport...why would you walk a bike in an airport and there was a helmet? It didn’t look like a display? Was the airport going green and this is for people that urgently need transportation between gates? Or maybe the airport has a currier service? I guess it could be some random passenger that is going to attempt to convince the gate agent surely this will fit in the overhead compartment (those are some of the funniest conversations and somehow I won the lotto to be behind “that guy”. or maybe we are going to set up photo ops similar to the one I saw at the airport in Bali with the president of Indonesia Joko Widodo (https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/long-reads/article/3005593/appeal-joko-widodo-indonesian-president-hard)

Does anyone have some light to shed on my curiosity and amusement?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190922/04a942bf94442e4a91dd793e70152903.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prototoast
09-22-2019, 10:35 AM
Looks like the kind of bike that some sort of security personnel might use.

XXtwindad
09-22-2019, 10:41 AM
Maybe a new Strava segment 😉

Mark McM
09-22-2019, 10:46 AM
What makes you sure that the bike belongs to a passenger? There are many people that work at airports, and some may need to get around between buildings that are far apart. Large commercial airports cover hundreds of acres, and buildings may be a mile or more apart from each other.

There are a number of work places that cover large areas that are simply easier to get around by bicycle than by foot or by automobile. These include warehouses, factories, state and national parks, and even cargo ships.

OtayBW
09-22-2019, 11:03 AM
Bike 'Mounties' are common in ATL.

Jaybee
09-22-2019, 11:07 AM
Looks like the Trek “police” model to me.

Spaghetti Legs
09-22-2019, 11:53 AM
Has to be security personnel. Otherwise those dangerous disc brakes wouldn't make it through security.

slowpoke
09-22-2019, 01:29 PM
Looks like the Trek “police” model to me.

Yup.

In Frankfurt airport, I've seen airport staff get around on smaller bikes with 24" wheels.

Irishgirl
09-22-2019, 01:58 PM
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity...I was thinking it was security and it was fun to think of other possibilities.

riceburner
09-23-2019, 07:17 AM
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity...I was thinking it was security and it was fun to think of other possibilities.

More fun maybe to think about someone stealing that bike and then trying to get it out of the airport

rwsaunders
09-23-2019, 07:15 PM
Unmarked cop bike...non-electric version. Was there a Dunkin’ Donuts nearby?

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/police/f/F325/