PDA

View Full Version : Shoe suggestions

Jmaxwel8
09-22-2019, 08:21 AM
When I got into road riding years ago I spent as much money on the bike as I possibly could and had little left over for a decent pair of shoes. Fast forward several year and I now realize this was a mistake.

So I’m on the hunt for 2 pairs of shoes. A fully dedicated road shoe and a shoe for mixed surfaces so this will be more of a gravel/MTB shoe.

I would love to go and try out shoes but honestly at the local stores they seem to only carry a couple road shoes and a couple MTB shoes so selection is really really low when you compare it to everything out there.

I was hoping I could use ya’ll experience to help guid my decision. I’m not a racer but I do spend a lot of time on a bike so I need comfort and being in the south something that breaths reasonably well.

Let me know what you think

Bentley
09-22-2019, 08:25 AM
I recommend the Lake CX 237, great shoe with a stiff sole.

Best

Ray

ultraman6970
09-22-2019, 08:26 AM
Lake is good stuff and their prices are all over the place, specially is a brand to go if your feet are wide.

Theres a few of those for sale here, check them out.

MagicHour
09-22-2019, 09:03 AM
For breathability if you don’t mind laces and a little different look, can’t go wrong with Giro Empire knit (road) or Republic R knit (mixed). Excellent shoes. Relatively inexpensive too.

When I need comfort and being in the south something that breaths reasonably well.

Let me know what you think

jpang922
09-22-2019, 10:13 AM
Re: mtb/gravel shoes - see relevant discussion here: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=241287

madsciencenow
09-22-2019, 12:24 PM
Do you have wide or narrow feet, high arches or low and what are you currently riding? It would be good to understand what do you like/dislike about your current shoes? Budget might also be useful to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJosiahK
09-22-2019, 12:51 PM
Can 100% stand behind all my experiences with Lake

quattro
09-22-2019, 01:08 PM
Can 100% stand behind all my experiences with Lake

Ditto.
I have a pair of Lake CX241 wide shoes, they saved my feet. Highly recommend Lake.

Alaska Mike
09-22-2019, 03:23 PM
I exclusively rode certain models of Specialized shoes for years, eventually buying whatever NOS or lightly used examples popped up on the secondary market. When you find something that works, you stick with it. Occasionally I would try models from other brands as the opportunity presented itself, but always went back to my old faithful shoes. However, the supply has pretty much dried up for me.

Right now I have four pairs, ranging from almost falling apart to brand new. The oldest sees the trainer exclusively, the second oldest is for rainy days, the next is for normal riding, and the newest is for race days.

Recently I tried a pair of Lakes, and they very well could be my next go-to manufacturer. It's really between them and Bont, because they are the only ones that make true wide lasts. I have a pair of Bont Vaypor S shoes on the way. Spendy, but I'm investing in my contact points. How the BOA system is mounted and integrated into the shoe seems to be the sticking point for me. Once I find my new brand/model, I may squirrel away a couple pairs for the future.

I have a wide, rounded forefoot (Morton's foot) with a relatively narrow ankle. I also pronate and require a moderate amount of arch support. After years of cramming my feet into alpine skiing race boots and working with multiple professional bootfitters, I know where my hot spots are.

tbike4
09-22-2019, 03:57 PM
Giro Factor Techlace. Giro fits my feet nicely. I tried the all laces version and too much work to stop and adjust. These can be found for about 50% of MSRP.

https://www.giro.com/p/factor-techlace-road-cycling-shoes

K3RRY
09-22-2019, 04:45 PM
Pearl Izumi Elite Road v5

My bro and I just bought a pair. Very comfy and stiff Carbon sole with boa
Hard to beat at this price with its features
50% off here

https://www.sierra.com/pearl-izumi-elite-road-v5-cycling-shoes-for-men~p~816dd/?filterString=s~pearl-izumi-elite-road%2F&merch=prod-rec-prod-prod816DD

owly
09-22-2019, 05:33 PM
Lake MX241 has good airflow through it for a gravel shoe.

Veloo
09-22-2019, 05:40 PM
Agree. You gotta lay this out first.

Do you have wide or narrow feet, high arches or low and what are you currently riding? It would be good to understand what do you like/dislike about your current shoes? Budget might also be useful to know.

TDot
09-22-2019, 06:12 PM
Agree with Lake and can speak to their winter shoes too. Also have had two pairs of Bonts that are super stiff and you can get a deal once in a while

cinema
09-22-2019, 06:13 PM
don't take any advice. spend a couple grand with a credit card at competitive cyclist or back country or whoever and order all the ones you want to try in all the sizes you want to demo. put them on in a carpeted room and send the rest back once you've found the one. personal experience is needed.

Dekonick
09-22-2019, 07:06 PM
One more option: Custom.

I fractured and dislocated my right ankle. Ever since the injury, I have had difficulty with most cycling shoes. I forked out the money (and used my flex spending account - not sure if you can still do this) and had Don when he was with D2 shoes make me 2 pair. They have outlasted SIDI's and others. Expensive, but in the end they are bomb proof.

Not sure if he still makes shoes. Worth looking and asking around. I will need another pair eventually...

madsciencenow
09-22-2019, 07:44 PM
don't take any advice. spend a couple grand with a credit card at competitive cyclist or back country or whoever and order all the ones you want to try in all the sizes you want to demo. put them on in a carpeted room and send the rest back once you've found the one. personal experience is needed.

Pursuant to my earlier comment, this is solid advice. The best we can do is help you narrow it down.

Dekonick
09-22-2019, 07:54 PM
One more option: Custom.

I fractured and dislocated my right ankle. Ever since the injury, I have had difficulty with most cycling shoes. I forked out the money (and used my flex spending account - not sure if you can still do this) and had Don when he was with D2 shoes make me 2 pair. They have outlasted SIDI's and others. Expensive, but in the end they are bomb proof.

Not sure if he still makes shoes. Worth looking and asking around. I will need another pair eventually...

Information on Don Lamson shoes. https://lamsoncycling.com/home
These are his new style - they are different from what I own and more expensive... but then again, I have had mine for a decade... NOT BAD for a shoe... https://lamsoncycling.com/fitting-1

citycyclist247
09-22-2019, 08:25 PM
Giro Privateers are very comfortable for me. Those could be good for mtb I suppose.

I have a few pairs of throwback shoes such as Mavic Furys and shimano xc90s. The Shimanos have a carbon soleplate which can be uncomfortable after a while. Furys are awesome. I would imagine that the more recent products from the two companies have kept the good features and improved on the less favorable ones.

Veloo
09-22-2019, 08:58 PM
But how much would return shipping end up costing?

Pursuant to my earlier comment, this is solid advice. The best we can do is help you narrow it down.

cinema
09-22-2019, 09:02 PM
But how much would return shipping end up costing?

the key is to find a place with free/flat rate returns. lots of places do this, at least when I did it. cc has free shipping with orders over 50 bucks and flat rate returns for 6.99. you can return them all in the one box they came in, for 6.99. I think that's what I did about 3 or 4 years ago.

Veloo
09-22-2019, 09:52 PM
Wow, really? Other than Amazon, I can't think of anyone that takes care of return shipping up here. Unless it's their mistake.