PDA

View Full Version : What frameset will you build up next?

Frank
12-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Which frameset will you build up next?

H.Frank Beshear
12-22-2006, 03:54 PM
It's not pretty, well it's not bad just been ridden. Campy of course, tubulars, round deep drop bars. Should be a fun ride.

SPOKE
12-22-2006, 04:37 PM
my Kirk.......when ever JB finishes the paint. will most likely use a campy kit.

Serotta PETE
12-22-2006, 04:43 PM
What Kirk???????? I hear the fellow from Fed Ex wanted it.. :)

my Kirk.......when ever JB finishes the paint. will most likely use a campy kit.

Len J
12-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Old Cinelli round bars (66-44)
All alloy Campy Chorus

I'm watiing for delivery of the Front Der and the bike will be done.

Len

landshark_98
12-22-2006, 04:59 PM
My Kirk. Spoke to JB last week on paint details. The Honjo fenders are anxiously awaiting, they can't wait to experience Oregon weather.

Greg

spiderman
12-22-2006, 05:07 PM
has his john deere road bike
sitting out in the yard
leaned up against a tree.
it's just my size
and closer to my house than his...
...i'm thinking that would be a fun little project.

fishbolish
12-22-2006, 05:17 PM
butted deda ti/carbon custom Quiring road frame(my job this winter is to paint it) & a Q-ball 29er single speed

Elefantino
12-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Now that I've got a DeBernardi SLX frame just sitting here, with an Easton threaded carbon fork, maybe I'll ....

No. Boss says no. No way. I have two; that's the limit. I can have as many as I can fit in the bike closet. And that's two.

Sniff.

Elefantino
12-22-2006, 05:22 PM
It's not pretty, well it's not bad just been ridden. Campy of course, tubulars, round deep drop bars. Should be a fun ride.

What type of garage door is that?

Marron
12-22-2006, 05:43 PM

It even looks like my size, 61CM. Mine looks even more "ridden". It serves as my commuter and sometime fixie.

dave thompson
12-22-2006, 05:50 PM
..of carbon.

ergott
12-22-2006, 05:54 PM
My Zank.

Frankwurst
12-22-2006, 05:58 PM
An old Univega Range Rover frame I bought on Ebay for $28, Stripped, respaced the rear end, will repaint in our truck shop and transfer the parts and pieces I can use off of my 1990 Cannondale "Red Shred". It should be a thing of ugly beauty,kinda like something only a Mother could love. :beer:

39cross
12-22-2006, 06:00 PM
1980 Mercian KOM. Simplex shifters via SteveP. TA triple. Undecided on derailleurs & brakes. Nitto stem & bars.

GoJavs
12-22-2006, 06:07 PM
1. Gotta finish building my '89 RB1 with the parts off the now-gone Jackson.
2. Turning the ol' Falcon to a touring/randonee SS special.
3. Turning my ol' Tesch/Howard into some sort of Scorcher.

Happy Holidays everyone. :)

don'TreadOnMe
12-22-2006, 06:27 PM
'91 Fat City Yo Eddy! w/Big One Inch fork.
Recently got new bb bearings from the barn in Vermont.

My good pal's gonna ride it country (dirt)road commuter-style.

don'TreadOnMe

SoCalSteve
12-22-2006, 06:37 PM
I still have my CSI hanging in the garage ( I know Jeff Weir still wants it too). I have a D/A kit for it, just need to build it up.

I also have an OCLV Trek from about 2001 that needs to have the fork restored back to the USPS paint scheme. Waiting on JB to tell me if he can do it or not. I have a D/A- Ultegra mix group waiting on that one too.

Would so love to replace my Ottrott.....If I got a new one, that would be the first one I would build up...With D/A Triple gear.

Steve

steelrider
12-22-2006, 06:44 PM
It even looks like my size, 61CM. Mine looks even more "ridden". It serves as my commuter and sometime fixie.

That is a good looking frame. Looks like it has a head tube extension as well--very nice.

Dan Le foot
12-22-2006, 06:50 PM
A new used Ottrott under the tree.
Going to take Record components and other stuff off my wife's Seven ti and move em over to the Ottrott. But my wife doesn't trust me to do the build. I will be assisting an experieced wrench friend.
Dan

gasman
12-22-2006, 06:58 PM
A Co-Motion Demon-due for completion around the middle of Jan. !!!!

sailorboy
12-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Since my Vanilla road frame will likely be a few more months, the Spectrum Ti Super that I recently picked up on the 'bay will probably go up next. Its a frame from about year '00 or '01, but it will get a treatment of full '07 chorus ultra torque, ksyrium wheels. When the nilla arrives, it will get '06 record with a handbuilt set of white ind/DT spoked wheels. I'm thinking of a paint scheme with primarily a gold color, but I will be asking Sacha for a lot of help in the aesthetics. Don't see a lot of gold bikes out there.

55/Rad
12-22-2006, 07:21 PM
I'll be restoring a 35th anniversary DeRosa for a friend. It's got a lot of miles under her and just needs some TLC in order to be ready for a lot more.

55/Rad

Serotta PETE
12-22-2006, 07:37 PM
84 Murray - if it can be stolen from SPOKE's clutches - - - but then he would be doing to rebuild to 50th anniversaty campy (that was on it years ago). The problem is that he no longer lets me near it......... :confused:

oh well.....maybe he will get me a got bottle of red for New Years

Chris
12-22-2006, 07:44 PM
I am going to build up the NOS $113 Basso Viper that I bought last month.

It is a steel frame with a matching unicrown steel fork, but I am going to replace the factory fork with a threaded carbon fiber fork. I have a build kit of Shimano Ultegra 9 speed STI components, Thomson seatpost, Specialized saddle, and either Mavic OP or XERO XR3 wheels to put on it.

Probably won't get to it until January, but when it is finished it will be the Italian and carbon fiber fork riding alternative to my American and steel fork Schwinn Paramount.

Where did you get a deal like that?! Those are GREAT frames. You will love it. Are there any more?

Big Dan
12-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Something with no carbon fibre in it........... :cool:

FATBOY
12-22-2006, 08:10 PM
Co-Motion Espresso, brazed, sloping, dark metallic orange w/panels, Chorus.... :)

slowgoing
12-22-2006, 08:37 PM
two used Merckx corsa extras one size apart that I bought two years ago. Need to see which, if any, I like enough to keep. One is going on the blocks for sure.

H.Frank Beshear
12-22-2006, 09:37 PM
62x59, I figure about a 3cm head tube extension that can get shaved if needed, :D . Looking forward to the build I've wanted one for a while now and this ones real close to the Kirk in size. I'll have it next week, better pics will follow. :beer: Happy Hollidays all. Frank

physasst
12-22-2006, 09:41 PM
have to build up two...still in the midst of this....and then the Merckx came along too....so I have to build up both of these....

Frank
12-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Where did you get a deal like that?! Those are GREAT frames. You will love it. Are there any more?

There were only three bids on it and my $115 bid won out. There are some great buys on older steel frames on eBay sometimes. The very nice condition 50th Anniversary model Schwinn Paramount Columbus SLX frame and flat crown fork (not the gold plated fork edition) I built up and currently ride was $300 shipped.

Matt Barkley
12-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Next frame to build.... I have had three framesets for over a year now that I want to build. The next one to be built....

Well the 3 are:

1: custom orange and blue tig/fillet Eisentraut. - will build as a road bike - Campy chorus/Centaur
2: Duende (orange in color w/numeri paint scheme) - will build as a down tube shifter long distance bike with small rack / Mizuno front fork / Campy Build 9 speed
3: Scapin EPTA - will build as a fixed gear road bike. Have custom anodized Phil hubs...

:beer: -Matt

alancw3
12-23-2006, 01:31 AM
There were only three bids on it and my $115 bid won out. There are some great buys on older steel frames on eBay sometimes. The very nice condition 50th Anniversary model Schwinn Paramount Columbus SLX frameset (not the gold plated fork edition) I built up and currently ride was $300 shipped.

with the demand for vintage parts, particularly campy, it seems a lot of people are stripping the parts off of nice vintage bikes and then selling the frames. i hae actually seen some cases where complete bikes have sold for much less than the individual parts. i set of nuovo record high flange wheels now goes for like $300 plus, if you can find them. just unbelievable.

Gothard
12-23-2006, 02:09 AM
:)

victoryfactory
12-23-2006, 06:33 AM
I've been planning to build up my old Jeff Lyon Excursion (touring) frame for a
winter bike for a while now. I've collected some 28 tires, etc but it's been so warm
here in NY that we've been able to stay on the Serotta so far.

I'll post some dramatic, compelling, desperately interesting pics as soon as it's ready

VF

stevep
12-23-2006, 06:41 AM
have to build up two...still in the midst of this....and then the Merckx came along too....so I have to build up both of these....

that merckx is a nice bike... i had a few of those in the day.
very solid.

Climb01742
12-23-2006, 06:47 AM
+1 that merckx is a beaut. great paint. what size is it?

stevep
12-23-2006, 06:56 AM
climb,
remember lincoln guide service ( a shop in lincoln, ma ).
he had a pristine version hanging in his shop w/ nos dura ace 7 spd when he closed. it was my size but i turned it over to crackpot mo who wants more bikes than he can ride for his collection...he bought it for $400. the day may come when i steal it back from him. did like the faema colors though i liked the molteni orange even better.

trophyoftexas
12-23-2006, 07:17 AM
I'm close to having a 1982 Mercian done....great original paint of dark candy apple red with gold trim, it's getting a used but nice set of 50th Campy stuff. I put a set of Roly Poly's on a pair of highly polished Wolber 58 rims that really look cool on this frame...actually a Roly Poly on the front and a Ruffy Tuffy on the rear, figured the R-T on the back having Kevlar would make sense. I've got a nice set of Campy rims that came with the 50th stuff that also look nice on this frame but the shine of the Wolbers is just too cool to pass them up....in fact, I'd like to find more of these rims if anyone out there has some or a source. I'll post photographs when done, sometime in late January.

Then I'm turning my attention to the Kirk I picked up off the forum....it's Dave T's old, original Terraplane. It's still painted in the white/burgundy that Dave had done and I'm going to put antique brown Brooks tape and saddle on it....may dye the tape to burgundy to match another Brooks I have, will decide later. Going to ride this one to work everyday, about 10 miles round trip so I'm probably going to do something along the lines of a tour/commuter-type build with the bars and components....probably won't finish it until late Feb. or so and then will photograph and post.....then, on to the McLean! I'm picking up wheels for this one when I go to Fredericksburg on January 4th but will not do much else until after the others are rolling. Still have my 30th Kellogg to work on but I'm SLOWLY gathering the NOS Nouvo Record stuff I need for it, NOT going to rush it by putting crap on it!

DRZRM
12-23-2006, 07:27 AM
I have a used Legend Ti, and I'm switching over from Shimano-10 to Campy-10, bike should be to be in early January, and I hope to build it up pretty quickly.

physasst
12-23-2006, 07:29 AM
that merckx is a nice bike... i had a few of those in the day.
very solid.

and for the price I got it for.......350...I couldn't say no... I mean, I've seen these go for twice that on Ebay.....

physasst
12-23-2006, 07:30 AM
+1 that merckx is a beaut. great paint. what size is it?

a 57.....I'm giddy...it is making it's way through the giant shipping companies to me as we speak.....

dash
12-23-2006, 07:48 AM
a 1980 J.P. Weigle that is being refinished by the man. being delivered with a new fork, new fenders and signature JPW rear light between the seat stays. i'm planning a build that is intended to be a "modern (with all current production components) interpretation of a classic design" - not too dissimilar from the 1950 Rene Herse fixed gear training bike profiled in the current issue of Bicycle Quarterly:

http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/images/Hersefixed.jpg

thanks to all of you, i have found lots of inspiration in this forum and am very excited...

jemoryl
12-23-2006, 08:14 AM
There were only three bids on it and my $115 bid won out. There are some great buys on older steel frames on eBay sometimes. The very nice condition 50th Anniversary model Schwinn Paramount Columbus SLX frame and flat crown fork (not the gold plated fork edition) I built up and currently ride was $300 shipped.

I hope you like your Viper as much as I do mine. If yours has a steel fork it must be somwhat older than the one I have, which has an aluminum (!) fork with steel steerer (the latest ones have a carbon fork). Mine dates from around 2000 and was bought last year as NOS. Do you have any idea what type of tubing was used on yours? Mine is 'Basso Custom Tubing', which is apparently Deda Zero and takes a 30.0 mm seatpost.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m318/jemoryl/th_brazing.jpg (http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m318/jemoryl/brazing.jpg)
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m318/jemoryl/th_FullBike.jpg (http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m318/jemoryl/FullBike.jpg)

ChrisK
12-23-2006, 09:10 AM
This is the frame I'm building up:
http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7618/732/1600/790780/vo11.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7618/732/1600/633483/v03.jpg

There are more photos on my blog (http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/) .

zap
12-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Our 14 year old CoMo fillet brazed DE needs to be taken apart, prepped and new parts installed. Does this count?

It's taken me some time to figure out what to get to replace the Mavic crankset. External bb carbon crank kit just doesn't seem right for a number of reasons. I also refuse to put a triple on the tandem, so I hope the "supplier" can accommodate my needs.

The steel stem also developed a crack so I don't know if I'll have CoMo braze a new 140 quill or threadless stem. It needs to be stiffer so I'll be specing stiffer tubing. Alpha Q has a sweet tandem fork now and I'm thinking an m5 front brake would be pretty cool.

Anyhow, that's my cycling winter project. Something old, something new.

Frank
12-23-2006, 10:56 AM
I hope you like your Viper as much as I do mine. If yours has a steel fork it must be somwhat older than the one I have, which has an aluminum (!) fork with steel steerer (the latest ones have a carbon fork). Mine dates from around 2000 and was bought last year as NOS. Do you have any idea what type of tubing was used on yours? Mine is 'Basso Custom Tubing', which is apparently Deda Zero and takes a 30.0 mm seatpost.

I thought it was going to have an oversize seattube also, because the ones I had seen posted were all the newer models taking 30.0 seatposts. It turned out to be a 27.2, which is great for me since that is the size Thomson seatpost I have for it.

The tubing decals on mine show "Basso Concept Tubing" and "Ultra Light", but no name brand. A long-time Basso dealer told me that in the early 90's or so Columbus had trouble filling all of their many huge tubing orders, so Basso started using a blend of Columbus and Dedacciai tubing. They didn't label bikes that used this blend with either tubing name, but instead called it Basso Concept Tubing and added Super Light or Ultra Light decals.

jemoryl
12-26-2006, 11:48 AM
I thought it was going to have an oversize seattube also, because the ones I had seen posted were all the newer models taking 30.0 seatposts. It turned out to be a 27.2, which is great for me since that is the size Thomson seatpost I have for it.

The tubing decals on mine show "Basso Concept Tubing" and "Ultra Light", but no name brand. A long-time Basso dealer told me that in the early 90's or so Columbus had trouble filling all of their many huge tubing orders, so Basso started using a blend of Columbus and Dedacciai tubing. They didn't label bikes that used this blend with either tubing name, but instead called it Basso Concept Tubing and added Super Light or Ultra Light decals.

Yeah, my Viper has only the "Basso Concept Tubing" sticker; I asked Basso what the tubing was when I did the warranty registration and Rosanna e-mailed me back and said it was "18 MCDV6 H.T." made by Deda, which would be Zero or SAT 14.5, I believe (talk about a company with confusing product naming...).

Basso is very keen on mixing tubesets. I also have a Reef frame which has an "Easton Ultralight Race" sticker, but I have been told the top and downtube are Easton Scandium.