PDA

View Full Version : 12x142 centerlock hub with steel freehub for touring - recommendations please

donevwil
09-18-2019, 12:05 PM
Shimano freehub can be 10 or 11 spd, planning on 32h. ~300-320# 650b rig all suited up. Will be paired with a SON dyno front.

XT (FH-M8010), Ultegra (FH-RS770)? Bitex? DT comes with aluminum freehub, correct? Have to buy steel separate ($50+)?

Chris King and WI are not on my list, I have experience.

More money typically means lighter weight (Onyx excepted), maybe ceramic bearings and blingier, but not necessarily better, right?

hokoman
09-18-2019, 12:15 PM
If cost is not a factor, I would get a Phil hub.

donevwil
09-18-2019, 12:22 PM
If cost is not a factor, I would get a Phil hub.

Wow, hadn't even thought of PW and had no idea they made TA hubs (although it appears no centerlock). This bike will have a PW BB.

quehill
09-18-2019, 12:24 PM
I've switched over to just using Hope hubs on my mountain bikes after terrible experiences with SLX hubs (freehubs made of cheese) and middling at best experiences with DT, WI, and the Taiwanese stuff. I'm pretty big/strong and I'm not a particularly elegant trail rider, so my rear hubs see hard use and the Hopes have held up amazingly well. Like never once needed service well.

For on-road I continue to use and to be very happy with DT and White Industries stuff.

hokoman
09-18-2019, 12:26 PM
Website doesn't show CL, but pretty sure they make it now...

https://www.avt.bike/phil-wood-centerlock-disc-mountain-bike-hub-11-speed.html

donevwil
09-18-2019, 12:30 PM
I've switched over to just using Hope hubs on my mountain bikes after terrible experiences with SLX hubs (freehubs made of cheese) and middling at best experiences with DT, WI, and the Taiwanese stuff. I'm pretty big/strong and I'm not a particularly elegant trail rider, so my rear hubs see hard use and the Hopes have held up amazingly well. Like never once needed service well.

For on-road I continue to use and to be very happy with DT and White Industries stuff.

My experience is almost exclusively Campy & WI on the road and XT, XTR off. Friends have had horrid experience off road with CK and WI. Good to hear about your experience with Hope.

Website doesn't show CL, but pretty sure they make it now...

https://www.avt.bike/phil-wood-centerlock-disc-mountain-bike-hub-11-speed.html

Very nice, thanks for this.

Gummee
09-18-2019, 02:38 PM
You could do an RS770 hub.

Ultegra level goodness w TAs

M

CMiller
09-18-2019, 02:40 PM
DT 350 hybrid with oversized hubshell sounds perfect. I've heard bad things about the XT free hubs.

bicycletricycle
09-18-2019, 02:52 PM
I would avoid aluminum freehub bodies.

DT 350/240 with a steel freehub body. I think the older 18 point star ratchet is more durable than the smaller teeth on the higher count ones. I had some DT flanges crack on some customer bikes a long time ago and they would not take care of them so I do not run them anymore however many people seem to like them.

Hope Pro 4 with a steel freehub. I just recently got a hope with a steel freehub and it looks really nice, I have no long term experience with these though.

Phil with steel freehub. Phil hubs seem to be the most durable and if weight or price is not a consideration than go with Phil.

donevwil
09-18-2019, 03:03 PM
I do have the RS770 on a light weight TA wheelset for the same bike, but haven't ridden them yet (frameset still in fab).

I've also heard and read stories re. XT and XTR issues, wonder if RS770 shares these.

DT350 Hybrid appears to be Boost only, no 142 that I can find.

Hope is promising and yes, steel freehub body (regardless of hub brand) is a very good idea. What about the Bitex Anti-Bite system?

PW is likely the proper hub for this wheelset, unless the dollar commitment required has me opting for an Onyx.

p nut
09-18-2019, 03:45 PM
I have DT240 hubs from 2010, run on a MTB that I am not gentle on. The thing still spins like day 1. I clean it every other year, which is super easy to do. I should probably clean it more often.

I also have a Hope Evo rear hub that I've had for 5 years. Somehow, broke the axle, but now replaced with a steel axle and it's been solid. Not as easy to service as the DT, though.

I would go DT240 or DT350, personally.

tony_mm
09-18-2019, 03:56 PM
Also in favor of the DT 350/240!
Swiss quality and the maintenance is so easy! And you can have 36T if you want. Swap is also super easy.

d_douglas
09-18-2019, 04:22 PM
I like Hopes as well, but I can’t say much bad about DT 350 - they’re my commuter hubs and they’re bombproof

donevwil
09-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Can one buy a new DT 350 (12x142 CL) with steel freehub body or is it only a swap after purchase deal?

bicycletricycle
09-19-2019, 07:43 PM
Can one buy a new DT 350 (12x142 CL) with steel freehub body or is it only a swap after purchase deal?

looking around before I could not find any for sale in that configuration. It might be possible to special order it through. A large online dealer might swap one out for you.

ergott
09-19-2019, 08:30 PM
You can order Industry Nine hub with steel freehub body.

oldpotatoe
09-20-2019, 06:17 AM
Shimano freehub can be 10 or 11 spd, planning on 32h. ~300-320# 650b rig all suited up. Will be paired with a SON dyno front.

XT (FH-M8010), Ultegra (FH-RS770)? Bitex? DT comes with aluminum freehub, correct? Have to buy steel separate ($50+)?

Chris King and WI are not on my list, I have experience.

More money typically means lighter weight (Onyx excepted), maybe ceramic bearings and blingier, but not necessarily better, right?

Tandem, 320 POUNDS?? 32h?? Hmm..not my first choice...

donevwil
09-20-2019, 09:52 AM
Tandem, 320 POUNDS?? 32h?? Hmm..not my first choice...No, not a tandem. Just me and my touring bike all loaded (maybe overloaded) up. 280 is probably more realistic. I started this wheel path before doing the weight math and I see your point, but 36h 650b rims are painfully hard to come by outside Velocity.

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk

ergott
09-20-2019, 11:47 AM
but 36h 650b rims are painfully hard to come by outside Velocity.

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk

True. If it were me I'd consider a carbon mtb rim like Nox Teocalli/Farlow or similar. You get a very strong rim that is suitable in 32h for your needs. Any impact that will crack that rim under touring conditions will do a lot worse to the rest of the bike.

I have their Skyline in 32h for my gravel bike and have ridden over some crazy roads at high speeds. Very confidence inspiring.

donevwil
09-20-2019, 12:04 PM
True. If it were me I'd consider a carbon mtb rim like Nox Teocalli/Farlow or similar. You get a very strong rim that is suitable in 32h for your needs. Any impact that will crack that rim under touring conditions will do a lot worse to the rest of the bike.

I have their Skyline in 32h for my gravel bike and have ridden over some crazy roads at high speeds. Very confidence inspiring.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm such a Luddite rim brake guy I hadn't considered carbon fiber. There are quite a few nice options out there.

ergott
09-20-2019, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm such a Luddite rim brake guy I hadn't considered carbon fiber. There are quite a few nice options out there.A strong enough alloy rim in 32h will be a boat anchor in comparison

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

timsmcm
09-21-2019, 11:25 PM
Nox rims with hope pro evo 2 hubs with steel fh body. Been going for many years bomb proof. And hope street hubs are fairly cheap. Whats not to like about that?

marciero
06-29-2020, 04:50 AM
Resurrecting this thread as I am in the same boat as the OP. Pulling the gravel/bikepacking bike down from the hook I noticed the Deore XT FH 8010 hub (which the OP was considering) is completely trashed. The grinding is so bad you can feel it through the pedals while riding, whether coasting or pedaling. Clean and grease of the cups, cones, bearings did not help the roughness. There is also a lot of roughness in the freehub-like sand in there, which I did not remove. There is significant side-to-side play in the wheel, etc. etc.

So am rethinking my "value" choice in rear hubs, at least for this application. The bike has seen some pretty extreme conditions, but still, my experience with road Shimano is that the lower-tiered components are pretty good. True, I had not serviced the bearings in the two years, but that would not have addressed the freehub issue which is where the side-to-side play is coming from. I refuse to do freehub service, at least on Shimano.

Not wanting to spend $0.5k on a hub I am down to Hope pro 4 and DT 350 as discussed above. I am intrigued by the various non-pawl engagement systems- DT, Onyx, I-nine, etc. I came across the new Shimano XTR 9100 series. I am ruling this out because it is limited to micro spline and I have 10 speed HG shimano (though it is confusing that several websites-CC, Backcountry, etc- seem to picture the old 9000 series hub which is clearly HG). Still curious though. Does anyone have details on this design? It is described on CC web site as "two ratcheting driver plates" that "glide across each other while coasting but engage rapidly when force is applied to the pedals". This sounds a little like the DT system, though it is not clear how the plates engage with each other.

In any case, looks like I will be ordering the Hope or the DT. I'm thinking either will be fine. Curious about new Shimano system though.

Smitty2k1
06-29-2020, 07:50 AM
I've been considering building up a wheelset and very much looking at the Shimano RS770 hubs. Front and rear pair can be had on eBay for $200 and they are just a touch heavier than the DT Swiss 350 for ~$300.

Very happy with my Shimano R7000 hubs on my 650b wheelset so I'm sure I'd be just as happy with the RS770 hubs.

Maybe worth a look in comparison to the DT Swiss 350.

marciero
06-29-2020, 08:15 AM
I've been considering building up a wheelset and very much looking at the Shimano RS770 hubs. Front and rear pair can be had on eBay for $200 and they are just a touch heavier than the DT Swiss 350 for ~$300.

Very happy with my Shimano R7000 hubs on my 650b wheelset so I'm sure I'd be just as happy with the RS770 hubs.

Maybe worth a look in comparison to the DT Swiss 350.

Huh. Had not considered. Still a Shimano fan and the price is right. Plus they are CL and probably same dimensions as my XT 8081 so could use the same rotor and same spokes. Not sure where these are positioned in the market. Seem to be road and E-bike, but the "GRX" suggests gravel. For me this only matters from a durability standpoint. Another plus for me is the quiet. There is little information on these regarding engagement system. After my last experience though I am leaning toward the beefier side of things.

Smitty2k1
06-29-2020, 11:17 PM
Huh. Had not considered. Still a Shimano fan and the price is right. Plus they are CL and probably same dimensions as my XT 8081 so could use the same rotor and same spokes. Not sure where these are positioned in the market. Seem to be road and E-bike, but the "GRX" suggests gravel. For me this only matters from a durability standpoint. Another plus for me is the quiet. There is little information on these regarding engagement system. After my last experience though I am leaning toward the beefier side of things.

Velomine has them built up with some Mavic open pro disc rims, so maybe they could give you some extra info:
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=235_242&products_id=4881