PDA

View Full Version : Battenkill riders

Mr. Pink
09-17-2019, 06:31 PM
What's your preferred setup? What size tire?

Just wonderin'. Did a long good to be alive early fall day today there. I lived here a decade ago. Awesome place. Just wondering what a good combo unpaved/paved bike choice is?

For the pavement fans, no worry, surfaces are great. Thanks, Mario! (When I lived here in 05ish, turned a corner with some local riders, to see a ribbon of fresh paved in nowhere, and one guy said, thanks, Joe Bruno. If you know NY politics., You'll know.........)

Davist
09-18-2019, 04:31 AM
I did it a few years ago on wider (archetype 23mm) rims and 25C continental gp4ks2s on my CAAD 10, so probably an "actual" 27. No issues as the gravel / dirt sections were not technical at all compared to "down here" (Hell of Hunterdon/Fool's Classic/Gravel Grape Crusher). Paved roads are incredibly good. Warm day, dry and clear, I think it was the first time they ran it later in the year (May?)

Johnnysmooth
09-18-2019, 08:04 AM
Rode Battenkill on my Look595 with ambrosia rims and Vittoria Paves. Perfect set-up for me

ergott
09-18-2019, 09:30 AM
Cervelo S2, alloy wheels (I9 hubs and Astral Radiant rims), Schwalbe Pro One tubeless 23mm tires. Basically the same bike I ride all the time. I just didn't go with tubular because I know some of the rocks can be sharp and didn't want to cut a Vittoria tire and end my race.

Brian Smith
09-18-2019, 11:11 AM
Conti GP4000SII in 700x25 for me on rim brake wheels. You don't need much tire out there. It's a great course, but the old "Battenkill Roubaix" moniker became less applicable as the event date moved later into spring and the weather and roads became more urbanite-racer friendly.