PDA

View Full Version : What does MIPS mean?

foggypeake
09-15-2019, 12:48 PM
I think it stands for Massive Insertion Point on your Skull, because look at my forehead after my ride today. No wonder I had a headache!

For the record, I'm using a Bell Gage MIPS. I guess it's time for something new.

JPS123
09-15-2019, 02:11 PM
Multidirectional Impact Protection System - I wasn't a fan either but have heard they are much safer statistically speaking.

choke
09-15-2019, 02:30 PM
but have heard they are much safer statistically speaking.Well....maybe. Or maybe not. https://helmets.org/mips.htm

Peter P.
09-15-2019, 06:17 PM
To help everyone understand it better, I'll use MIPS in a conversation:

Me: MIPS?

You: Covfefe!

TimD
09-15-2019, 06:30 PM
Million Instructions Per Second
Meaningless Indicator of Performance

Tickdoc
09-15-2019, 07:27 PM
Worked for me! Am a fan after falling on the back of my head and cracking my helmet in half. Dazed for a bit, but I was able to ride home and tell the tale.

cmbicycles
09-15-2019, 07:58 PM
Maybe It Protects Something

ultraman6970
09-15-2019, 10:34 PM
Mayor Injury Protrusion in your Skull!

Blue Jays
09-15-2019, 10:40 PM
Dial the adjuster for a little less pressure.

cetuximab
09-15-2019, 10:52 PM

Maximum
Intensity
Projection

oldpotatoe
09-16-2019, 06:14 AM

My Ingenious Payme Scheme
:)

mcteague
09-16-2019, 07:00 AM
Worked for me! Am a fan after falling on the back of my head and cracking my helmet in half. Dazed for a bit, but I was able to ride home and tell the tale.

I cracked the first Giro Prolight in half back in the day well before MIPS and rode home. Just saying.

Tim

Black Dog
09-16-2019, 07:02 AM
Marginal Improvements Per $

eippo1
09-16-2019, 11:24 AM
Well I know that the customer was unimpressed after I took my shirt off in response to them asking me to "show them some MIPS." They did recommend a waxing place after I showed them some helmets, though.

That said, some helmets integrate MIPS better than others. For instance, the Bell Falcon does it a bit better than the comparable Giro (even though I think they are still technically the same company).

oldpotatoe
09-16-2019, 12:31 PM
Well I know that the customer was unimpressed after I took my shirt off in response to them asking me to "show them some MIPS." They did recommend a waxing place after I showed them some helmets, though.

That said, some helmets integrate MIPS better than others. For instance, the Bell Falcon does it a bit better than the comparable Giro (even though I think they are still technically the same company).

Shades of Seinfeld, Xmas card episode... “ it’s just a MIPple, everybody has them”, as Cramer lifts his shirt. :)

KidWok
09-16-2019, 03:55 PM
I always have to wear a cycling cap with my MIPS commuter helmet because the plastic edges dig into my skin. That said...does a cycling cap effectively provide a slip layer? Maybe I'm double MIP'ing?

Tai

giverdada
09-16-2019, 05:49 PM
i've been thinking about these things lately. lots of factors go into head injury stats, and far too many variables, but when i was a couple years younger and about the same outfit on the same bike at the same speed and in a collision, i got a separated shoulder, a dent in my helmet, and nothing else major in my Giro Air Attack Shield. a year ago, in my bright orange Smith MIPS helmet, my shoulder was fine, the outfit was the same and fine, the bike was the same and fine, and i sustained a concussion that took me out of work for 2.5 weeks and had residual effects for months after. only concussion i've ever had. in a MIPS helmet. YMMV, and i hope it does.

Dekonick
09-16-2019, 06:46 PM
I think it stands for Massive Insertion Point on your Skull, because look at my forehead after my ride today. No wonder I had a headache!

For the record, I'm using a Bell Gage MIPS. I guess it's time for something new.

Beats this: https://assets.ossur.com/library/19645/proc/6

oldpotatoe
09-17-2019, 07:46 AM
i've been thinking about these things lately. lots of factors go into head injury stats, and far too many variables, but when i was a couple years younger and about the same outfit on the same bike at the same speed and in a collision, i got a separated shoulder, a dent in my helmet, and nothing else major in my Giro Air Attack Shield. a year ago, in my bright orange Smith MIPS helmet, my shoulder was fine, the outfit was the same and fine, the bike was the same and fine, and i sustained a concussion that took me out of work for 2.5 weeks and had residual effects for months after. only concussion i've ever had. in a MIPS helmet. YMMV, and i hope it does.

Goes to show that that styrofoam Yarmulke is not a panacea to head injury..won't hurt, may help..

K3RRY
09-17-2019, 07:58 AM
Might Injure or Protect Someone