PDA

View Full Version : Confused...buy/build gravel/touring

buddybikes
09-15-2019, 12:01 PM
My situation, I have few bikes that just don't fit right after my back fusion and other arthritic issues. I bought this from paceliner https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=173761&highlight=mudville
in 2015, and has served me well for sloppy weather. Also have at home a Fat Chance TI 26'er.

My needs - low BB, like my Firefly is built. Rack mounts for shopping. Relaxed or somewhat relaxed geo that would be easier late season.

I live in RI and just ride with my wife. I don't need disc, but yes they feel nice. 1x would also be ok, again don't need massive wide range gears.

Preference would be ti, but not 100% need

So options thus far.
1. Habanero has some canti frames still. The bb height appears good as well as stack height. I am bit concerned about HT length being too short. I could just switch the stuff off the Geekhouse (mostly) and sell a beatiful frame that nobody wants.
2. Get a Lynskey Backroads built or frame (disc only). Fit appear great on 56. Then have to sell whole geekhouse.
3. As above but go custom and use my FF as a geo base. This I could do swap as in 1.

Ideas welcome

Charles M
09-15-2019, 12:08 PM
With your back issues, I would grab a Trek Domane SLR.

In the case the geometry can be made to work (as they have a couple of Geo types), this is, I think, the best all round bike available that will handle Gravel and road riding and offer genuine relief.

semdoug
09-15-2019, 12:37 PM
In case you haven't seen Lynskey has Backroad frames on ebay now with $795 opening bid. You might also consider the Lynskey Viale, no longer in production.

I have owned a Habanero cross/touring. You are correct with your concern for the short head tube. Not a bad bike though.

NHAero
09-15-2019, 12:44 PM
Would a riser stem on the Geekhouse solve your issue?

buddybikes
09-15-2019, 12:51 PM
I have enough stem height, ideally want a bike with 80mm drop (10.25" height), not feeling like I am on a pogo stick.

Ken Robb
09-15-2019, 01:24 PM
some offerings from Rivendell might fit the bill in steel. What size do you ride?

buddybikes
09-15-2019, 02:25 PM
55.5TT, 75.5BB to top of saddle

Ken Robb
09-15-2019, 03:20 PM
Rambouillet or Romulus maybe? Allrounder or Atlantis for more carrying capacity.