PDA

View Full Version : Short saddle recommendation

kgreene10
09-15-2019, 11:40 AM
I would like to try a short saddle for road. There are so many options that I’m wondering if anyone has already done the research and can tell me which ones have

a) the narrowest nose, and
b) the quickest taper from the back of the saddle to the nose (i.e. not V-shaped)?

For reference, I currently use a Selle Italia SLR Superflow that has a pretty good shape for me.

The Specialized Power tapers too slowly (too much of a v-shape) so I hit my thigh/hamstring when I pedal. Maybe I don’t roll the hips enough, but whatever the cause the shape doesn’t quite work for me.

corky
09-15-2019, 01:49 PM
Long term SI SLR user here, just bought the SLR boost..... it’s the same but shorter(oh and I went the cutout route). So if you’re an SLR fan and want to try a shorter saddle you won’t be disappointed with the boost version.

kgreene10
09-15-2019, 02:48 PM
Long term SI SLR user here, just bought the SLR boost..... it’s the same but shorter(oh and I went the cutout route). So if you’re an SLR fan and want to try a shorter saddle you won’t be disappointed with the boost version.

Ooh, excellent! Is it working out for you?

One problem with the SLR superflow is that the large cutout makes it flex enough that I have distorted three of them beyond use in a surprisingly short period of time. I’m only 160 lbs but have some asymmetry that shows up in the saddle after a bit. Is the boost structure any more durable, or seemingly more durable?

Climb01742
09-15-2019, 06:32 PM
I had the same issue with the standard Power saddle, it rubbed the top of my hamstring. Apparently we weren’t alone with that problem. The Power Arc fixed that issue for me. Still not sure I’m a fan of the one place to sit aspect of any Power saddle (I like to move around) but the Arc doesn’t bug my hammy. FWIW.

m_moses
09-15-2019, 07:04 PM
I was at my lbs on Friday and saw that Bontrager has a new line of short saddles called Aeolus (like the wheels). They were described to me as having less material on the sides, compared to the Spesh Power, for less interference while pedaling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

djg21
09-15-2019, 07:11 PM
I used one on my TT bike, then decided I needed a longer saddle. If you are interested, send me a PM.

dbnm
09-15-2019, 07:33 PM
I've been using the S-Works Arc for a couple of years and love it. I switched from the SLR superflow.

Sojodave
09-15-2019, 09:11 PM
If you like the Superflow, you must like flat saddles. One saddle you should try is the Pro Stealth. It is flatter than the Power Saddle, but does have a slight kick in the tail. It has firm padding and a huge cut-out.

I like a curvier saddle and I am currently on a Specialized Romin Evo which is only 1cm longer than the Power.

robertbb
09-15-2019, 10:05 PM
I was at my lbs on Friday and saw that Bontrager has a new line of short saddles called Aeolus (like the wheels). They were described to me as having less material on the sides, compared to the Spesh Power, for less interference while pedaling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If they made a "normal" length version of this, I'd be all over it. Looks like the Specialized Romin Evo, but with a longer and slightly wider cutout plus a more pronounced kick up at the back (provides a better platform for climbing)

K3RRY
09-16-2019, 02:08 AM
If anyone’s interested I have a Selle Italia SLR Flow with titanium rails, brand new. Just posted it on eBay but will let it go for cheaper for members

uber
09-16-2019, 03:59 AM
I had a similar experience with the Superflow distorting over time. I liked the Si
Flite Carbonio for a while, but switched over to the Selle San Marco Shortfit about one year ago. I like it a lot and if weight is a factor, they are pretty light. I was not w fan of the Power. I just could never find the sweet spot.

C50
09-16-2019, 08:10 AM
I will admit that I am biased but I would recommend looking at the Selle SMP F30C based off the two characteristics listed in the OP, narrowest nose and quickest taper from the back to the nose. One of the issues with short saddles can be hamstring/back of the leg interference. I would describe the F30C as wide where it needs to be wide and narrow where it needs to be narrow. Feel free to send a PM if you need more info or to arrange a demo if needed.

Dave

Dave
09-16-2019, 09:06 AM
Be sure to look carefully at SMP fitting info. I got the right width based on waist size (narrow for me), but minimal padding of the blaster I chose just didn't work for me. Changing to a model with the same narrow width, but standard padding did the trick - the stratos model.

I notice that the f30-c has minimal padding.

kgreene10
09-16-2019, 10:07 AM
Thanks everyone! This is really helpful info. I have a list of saddles to try now.

One of these days, I do think we should start a saddle rental collective. The idea would be to donate saddles in good shape to a forumite who can administer logistics. We would rent via eBay and profits would help fund the forum while also providing a much needed service to the cycling community. How much coin have we all dropped on saddles now piling up in the garage?

Climb01742
09-16-2019, 10:32 AM
I will admit that I am biased but I would recommend looking at the Selle SMP F30C based off the two characteristics listed in the OP, narrowest nose and quickest taper from the back to the nose. One of the issues with short saddles can be hamstring/back of the leg interference. I would describe the F30C as wide where it needs to be wide and narrow where it needs to be narrow. Feel free to send a PM if you need more info or to arrange a demo if needed.

Dave

I can attest to how incredibly helpful C50 Dave is. He’s a champ for customer service. SMP is lucky to have him on their team.

kgreene10
09-18-2019, 07:14 PM
I mounted a Power Arc 143. I set it up as specified on the packaging (3cm further back than a standard length saddle) and with rails parallel to the ground. That angle means the rear is much higher than the front. I feel as though I slide down to the middle of the saddle and then feel hunched over. To compensate, I ended up pushing myself further back than I would normally sit. One or both of those positions created a lot of perineal pressure.

So, advice on how to set it up? Should I raise the nose some? Lower it more? Anyone else have these results from the Power Arc?

metalheart
09-18-2019, 10:19 PM
I have a couple of Berk Dila saddles on my bikes and they have proved to be comfortable for short to longer rides.

m_moses
09-19-2019, 09:43 AM
I mounted a Power Arc 143. I set it up as specified on the packaging

This is interesting. The majority of the saddles I’ve owned I purchased second-hand or they came on a bike. I didn’t realize there were instructions.

I did recently purchase a new saddle (a Pro Stealth) so I went to look at the packaging and instructions but found nothing useful.

When I install a saddle, I find the right setback position and then level it with a torpedo level across the top surface. Am I doing it wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uber
09-19-2019, 12:54 PM
Many people choose level or a very slight nose down. The Power saddle were suggested to have the front half level with the ground allowing the rear of the saddle to slope upward. SMP saddles have a range of acceptable angles dependent on user preference. I think starting level and making very small adjustments to comfort is a reasonable approach.