PDA

View Full Version : Campy 50th Price?

tuscanyswe
09-15-2019, 04:59 AM
Looking to buy a nos groupset.

What is a reasonable price to pay for one of these new in the box these days? Complete group etc.

Would rather not spend 3k$+ but perhaps one has to? At least according to ebay. Yes i checked ebay completed listings but only so much material there and i figured there are a lot of campyphiles here who perhaps have been following these groups far longer than i..

19wisconsin64
09-15-2019, 06:25 AM
Is this for a show bicycle to be displayed, to be kept as an investment in the box, or on a bicycle to be ridden?
Once an affluent bicycle rider sold me his custom Serotta with original full 50th-anniversary groupset for $1,500 cash. The groupset was in excellent condition too. This was about 8-9 years ago. Prices go up and down, so if you are looking for a good deal and don't need to keep the parts in a box, maybe consider buying used in good condition.
A few years later I sold the bicycle, complete as I purchased it, on eBay, and netted back the same price that was paid.
Good luck in your hunt...maybe post a WTB in the classified ads here, lots of great collectors here.

duff_duffy
09-15-2019, 06:28 AM
I’d plan on $3k plus for one of these in excellent condition. If complete in unopened box probably more. Tough to know as not many around to be had. Good luck!

tuscanyswe
09-15-2019, 06:32 AM
Thx

It would mostly be just because i always wanted one and have a vague idea of what i may want to do with it some point in time. Im bit of a campy nerd i guess. And the older i become the more i like vintage looking bicycles. I still like to ride modern but i prefer the look of older bikes and campy 50th is just something im thinking about every now and then

And now a group became available near me and as much as id like to buy it (its nos in box with papers etc) its also rather expensive but if i think i can get my money back down the line i may take a chance on it.

Its also a bit bad timing as im also kinda trying to accumulate some cash for a move to a bigger flat but they do not come around often NOS here..
I guess it would be kept in box until i realize i can actually afford to mount it on a frame haha. Considering the interest rates these days maybe campy 50th is better value than the vault at my bank tho.

oldpotatoe
09-15-2019, 06:36 AM
It would mostly be just because i always wanted one and have a vague idea of what i may want to do with it some point in time. Im bit of a campy nerd i guess. And the older i become the more i like vintage looking bicycles. I still like to ride modern but i prefer the look of older bikes and campy 50th is just something im thinking about every now and then

And now a group became available near me and as much as id like to buy it (its nos in box with papers etc) its also rather expensive but if i think i can get my money back down the line i may take a chance on it.

Its also a bit bad timing as im also kinda trying to accumulate some cash for a move to a bigger flat big they do not come around often NOS here..

Make sure all the papaerwork matches the group..it'll have hub drilling, etc, on the sheet inside. Also the number on the crank.

I think one in the case for about $3k is reasonable. I bought one(7088) in about 1997/8 for $2200..I kept in a case until I put it on a Merckx Corsa..now hanging in Vecchio's. The value will plummet as soon as you put it on a bike.

Ochsner in Chicago had a couple of low digit ones, 2 digit ones for $12K plus..doubt they ever sold them tho..

tuscanyswe
09-15-2019, 06:39 AM
Make sure all the papaerwork matches the group..it'll have hub drilling, etc, on the sheet inside. Also the number on the crank.

I think one in the case for about $3k is reasonable. I bought one(7088) in about 1997/8 for $2200..I kept in a case until I put it on a Merckx Corsa..now hanging in Vecchio's. The value will plummet as soon as you put it on a bike.

Ochsner in Chicago had a couple of low digit ones, 2 digit ones for $12K plus..doubt they ever sold them tho..

Oh thanks Peter thats good to know dident occur to me to match the paper to the actual items. I think its legit tho so likely nothing but how it was bought.

Yeah thats the thing. I have to keep it boxed till i know its worth it to me to actually bolt it to a frame.

Yeah 12k dont c that happening with me as a customer at least .)

bart998
09-15-2019, 08:56 AM
I was going to list the whole bike soon (1984 Masi GC). But if you want a group for riding, I have would sell my complete group that's been used and has some cosmetic use and age markings... a few scratches and discolored chrome. Everything is usable and decent looking. I bought it used about 12 years ago and don't have any papers... not for collectors.

ntb1001
09-15-2019, 09:25 AM
I was going to list the whole bike soon (1984 Masi GC). But if you want a group for riding, I have would sell my complete group that's been used and has some cosmetic use and age markings... a few scratches and discolored chrome. Everything is usable and decent looking. I bought it used about 12 years ago and don't have any papers... not for collectors.

This sounds like something that has to be seen!!

A Masi GC... with 50th anniversary???? [emoji51] [emoji51] [emoji51]

Size?
Price??
Pics????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happycampyer
09-15-2019, 09:28 AM
I was going to suggest that, if you thought that you would ever install the groupset on a bike, you should by the parts used. Otherwise, you’ll be taking a hit on the collector value of the groupset, such as it is. Too bad the groupset isn’t hydraulic disc...

SPOKE
09-15-2019, 10:48 AM
The 50th Anniversary groups are really nice. I bought one from a local shop here in Raleigh when they first became available. I think I paid $850 for it. It sat in the box till about 1995 when I finally found an NOS Paramount 50th Anniversary. Since then I’ve managed to put together most of a second complete group that looks pretty good on a second Paramount 50th Anniversary that I use as a “rider”.
I’ve seen NOS groups ranging from the low $3k up on eBay to the $12k from Oschner as described by Old Spud above. If I ever find another group for the low $3k range I’ll buy it. It will be nice to have it displayed along with the 80th Anniversary Group I have.

oldpotatoe
09-15-2019, 11:14 AM
The 50th Anniversary groups are really nice. I bought one from a local shop here in Raleigh when they first became available. I think I paid $850 for it. It sat in the box till about 1995 when I finally found an NOS Paramount 50th Anniversary. Since then I’ve managed to put together most of a second complete group that looks pretty good on a second Paramount 50th Anniversary that I use as a “rider”.
I’ve seen NOS groups ranging from the low $3k up on eBay to the $12k from Oschner as described by Old Spud above. If I ever find another group for the low $3k range I’ll buy it. It will be nice to have it displayed along with the 80th Anniversary Group I have.

My 80th group is on a Moots, also in Vecchio's..:)

bart998
09-15-2019, 01:07 PM
56cm

This sounds like something that has to be seen!!

A Masi GC... with 50th anniversary???? [emoji51] [emoji51] [emoji51]

Size?
Price??
Pics????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPOKE
09-15-2019, 07:13 PM
56cm

What size is this? Almost looks like a 55-56cm frame

tuscanyswe
09-19-2019, 10:42 AM
Is the seatpost binder bolt the regular campagnolo one that isent all that hard to find and available usually on ebay or similar or is it labeled 50th or different in any other way for this groupset vs the "regular" one?

Found a nos group with missing bolt and hoods..

Thanks