PDA

View Full Version : Paging Lewis Moon

azrider
09-14-2019, 09:58 PM
What’s this white chemical, sticky substance they sprayed on Scottsdale canal between Indian Bend and Camelback??

Any guesses? Smells pretty nasty and pretty sticky.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190915/85af1f1694f40cc15af80809a21e89e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unterhausen
09-14-2019, 10:09 PM
looks like latex

Blue Jays
09-14-2019, 10:39 PM
Might simply be white paint that accidentally spilled out of a contractor's truck.

SlowPokePete
09-15-2019, 03:10 AM
tubeless mishap

SPP

tuscanyswe
09-15-2019, 04:03 AM
tubeless mishap

SPP

Yup. Its the new wider tire trends with low preasure burping.

azrider
09-15-2019, 09:04 PM
Might simply be white paint that accidentally spilled out of a contractor's truck.

Definitely nope. Car/trucks are restricted on canals and this was just the end or beginning of where the spray truck had laid this down ......

Lewis Moon
09-16-2019, 06:53 AM
Is it on the canal road? If so, it may be a soil stabilizer to keep the dust down. I'll check what it is.

Black Dog
09-16-2019, 06:58 AM
What does it taste like? ;)

zmudshark
09-16-2019, 07:02 AM
Dust suppression. Likely a Calcium chloride solution.

Lewis Moon
09-16-2019, 08:13 AM
That was my take....that or magnesium chloride with another binding agent. There are a myriad of formulas out there. For a long time I thought SRP was using soil cement to stabilize the canal roads, but I wondered about the almost wet sheen on the surface....not typical of soil cement.
A lot of PHX area canals now have roads that are functionally "paved" because of this stuff.

joosttx
09-16-2019, 08:37 AM
That was my take....that or magnesium chloride with another binding agent. There are a myriad of formulas out there. For a long time I thought SRP was using soil cement to stabilize the canal roads, but I wondered about the almost wet sheen on the surface....not typical of soil cement.
A lot of PHX area canals now have roads that are functionally "paved" because of this stuff.

Did it smell like a pesticide?

azrider
09-16-2019, 10:06 AM
Is it on the canal road? If so, it may be a soil stabilizer to keep the dust down. I'll check what it is.

Yeah it was on the South side of canal (North side has concrete MUP now :mad:) and definitely creates a sheen over the surface....when I rode it on Saturday it still seemed somewhat tacky

Dust suppression makes sense......but man, whats worse, a little dust or this sticky nasty gooo on your tires :rolleyes:

Did it smell like a pesticide?

OH it's definitely got an odor to it :butt:

Jaybee
09-16-2019, 10:32 AM
ADEQ has fairly rigorous dust control standards, and they would be all over the SRP if they had dust complaints.

Whenever I have an environmental construction project in AZ, managing dust is always one of the primary concerns.

There are any number of dust suppressants that would meet the white/sticky description. Any further description of the odor beyond "nasty"?

Lewis Moon
09-16-2019, 10:52 AM
ADEQ has fairly rigorous dust control standards, and they would be all over the SRP if they had dust complaints.

Whenever I have an environmental construction project in AZ, managing dust is always one of the primary concerns.

There are any number of dust suppressants that would meet the white/sticky description. Any further description of the odor beyond "nasty"?

Jaybee is correct....ask me how I know...

azrider
09-16-2019, 11:15 AM

Makes sense. It's always easy to tell when a new building or project is going up in Arizona because the first thing that shows up is the elevated water tank in the corner of the lot.

But I've seen this stuff in the past and it didn't seem as ......thick?? Maybe they're trying a new concoction but the odor was pungent and not sure why i immediately thought it smelled like a binding agent but it was enough for to move across the canal and ride on (gasp) CONCRETE..........ugh :p:p:p

Buzz Killington
09-16-2019, 01:49 PM
well, if this was by me I'd say PCBs

https://poststar.com/news/local/pcb-laden-spraying-may-be-widespread/article_9ee5ad6b-2fe5-5645-a4b1-2197fdf473c1.html

Jaybee
09-16-2019, 02:10 PM

https://poststar.com/news/local/pcb-laden-spraying-may-be-widespread/article_9ee5ad6b-2fe5-5645-a4b1-2197fdf473c1.html

What a mess.

Thankfully those have been banned in the US for 40 years. Doesn’t mean you won’t get a release from an older source, of course. They are a nightmare to clean up - persistent against all manner of existing remediation technologies. At least when they are in the upper few feet of soil you can dig and haul. If they get to water-bearing strata you may never get them out.

oliver1850
09-16-2019, 02:24 PM
If it turns out to be calcium chloride I'd avoid riding through it. It's highly corrosive as it's a salt that's generally equal to NaCl in its effect on metals. There are some corrosion inhibiting CaCl2 mixtures out there, but I'd still avoid getting it on my bike.

azrider
09-16-2019, 02:30 PM

Welp........that was enough for me to find SRP Canal phone number and call to ask.

Learned it's a substance called Soil Sement (with an S) and is applied every two years. Gal on the phone said "it's safe enough to drink but we don't recommend it".........gotcha........I'm sure it's one of those things that we'll learn 30 years from now that causes cancer or forearms to grow out of foreheads

Proven Dust Control and Erosion Control Solutions

Midwest’s Soil-Sement family of polymer emulsions for dust control, erosion control and soil stabilization boasts more certifications and verifications for environmental safety and performance effectiveness than any other polymer emulsion.

Jaybee
09-16-2019, 02:58 PM
I've used a similar polymer-based tackifying agent to limit wind loss off a mine tailings pile. This is probably safe, as we understand that term today.

It sucks that they won't tell you exactly what polymers are in the emulsion, but that's life in Corporate America.

azrider
09-16-2019, 03:07 PM
It sucks that they won't tell you exactly what polymers are in the emulsion, but that's life in Corporate America.

Nailed that one my internet bike forum friend.

Lewis Moon
09-16-2019, 03:08 PM
This is probably safe, as we understand that term today.

Ha! As a guy who does HH risk assessments for a living, this is SO spot on.

azrider
09-16-2019, 03:53 PM
Ha! As a guy who does HH risk assessments for a living, this is SO spot on.

Well that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

HA :p:p

seanile
09-16-2019, 05:04 PM
Well that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

HA :p:poh, that's just your cells mutating. totally normal.