PDA

View Full Version : OT: Phone or iWatch or...?

William
09-14-2019, 12:15 PM
Well, it's about time to get a new cell and I was starting to consider whether I want to stay with a Samsung or switch to an iPhone? Throw into the mix that my sister has an iWatch that recently notified her that she was going into AFib which was confirmed. That got me to thinking about the watches. A cursor look indicates they can do a lot of things the standard phones can do so maybe that is a viable alternative?

Would anyone like to share their experiences with using an iWatch, Samsung watch, or other equivalent?

Thanks,
William

tbike4
09-14-2019, 12:26 PM
I work in the tech field, indoors and out and have to share a lot of information all day long which does not require a phone call, just a text message. I have an old Apple watch, probably first generation and really the only thing I use it for is to read a text message on the watch and not have to take my phone out. My 2¢ worth.

JAGI410
09-14-2019, 01:26 PM
I had an iphone and and iwatch, and now switched to samsung and a samsung watch. Functionality between the two is essentially the same. I can read and respond to texts, get notifications, do workouts, etc. The big benefit for me is that it allows me to keep my phone in my pocket more. I also love that google map directions show up on the watch and buzz my wrist when I need to turn.

Overall worth having as a package, and if the afib function is what you're after, then iwatch it is!

dbnm
09-14-2019, 01:54 PM
Every since getting an apple watch a couple of years ago, my Rolex sits in a drawer. The iwatch is very useful. And I have an iPhone Xs.

Both also integrate easily with my Wahoo Elemnt.

wc1934
09-14-2019, 03:50 PM
Every since getting an apple watch a couple of years ago, my Rolex sits in a drawer. The iwatch is very useful. And I have an iPhone Xs.

This ^. (but no Rolex - just a Breitling and Omega that are sitting).

I have the 3 which allows me to listen to music via bluetooth when I run, synchs nicely with map my run/ride to announce distance and pace etc., vibrates when google maps wants me to turn when driving, messages and text via the watch etc. They are probably discounting their old line now that the 5 (comes in Ti too) is out. The heart monitor is a nice feature which my 3 does not have - I only get notifications when my heartbeat goes below 40 while I am asleep (probably need to have that checked out as I go below 40 fairly frequently).

livingminimal
09-14-2019, 04:22 PM
ha! I went the opposite as some of yall. I bought an apple watch (they've never called it an iwatch), realized I really only liked it for running, snowboarding, and surfing tracking, and went back to an analog watch (whose brand doesnt matter!) the other 95% of my waking life.

Jeff Weir
09-14-2019, 05:20 PM
You might know this already but, if you get an Apple Watch you will need an iPhone.

Clancy
09-14-2019, 05:23 PM
Apple Watch

I have to charge mine every night. Requires its own unique charger so that has to come along when I travel.
Tells me when I get texts but too clumsy for me to respond with.
Tells me when I have an incoming call, can decline or accept like a Dick Tracy watch but sound garbled.
Tells time.
Has a ton of features that I find rather useless because of the screen size.
I received it as a gift. If I lost it I wouldn’t replace it.

I have an IPhone which I would replace immediately, I’ve gotten very dependent on it.

But Apple Watch.... shrug of shoulders

But do admit, the Afib function is very cool, had no idea it was capable.

I’m getting rather tired of chasing new tech. I’ve been wondering lately what’s the point.

cetuximab
09-14-2019, 10:39 PM
When I am on call, I wear my Apple Watch. It’s waterproof, so I can wear it surfing, swimming and kayaking. The iPhone is waterproof, but it’s easier to just leave it in the car.

I like the EKG functionality on the series 4. I occasionally get a junctional rhythm. It is a satisfying in a nerdy way to see the waveform. The watch plus an app gives you a lead I EKG tracing.

oldpotatoe
09-15-2019, 06:45 AM

HA..the only reason I don't have an iWatch..

My son has an iwatch and just signed up for a iphone11..he's really thrilled with it. Sister in law has(had?) a samsung phone and watch which 'seemed' really glitchy..but she's not really a techie..

csm
09-15-2019, 08:29 AM
Upgrading my iPhone 6 to one of the new ones. It's a first generation when T-mobile decided to join the Apple band wagon.
Not sure if I'll go with the 11 or 11 pro. Or the 10 since they've dropped the price on it.
I've played with the watch but am not sold on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cderalow
09-15-2019, 09:03 AM
iPhone early adopter, haven’t had anything else since they came out. Recently added an Apple Watch series 4. Already done two great things for me.

Has been monitoring and tracking my sporadic bouts of afib which I used to just make note of on my phone.

Also notified my wife when I took a spill playing hockey and hurt my knee.

Day to day used to track workouts, remind me to stand up once a hour and generally show me texts etc while our riding or doing other stuff.

Kind of disappointed I didn’t wait another few months for the 5, but 4 is pretty solid anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djg21
09-15-2019, 09:42 AM
I use an Apple Watch 4 with an iPhone X. I always hated wearing a watch while riding, and use a Garmin Edge 1030 to see time, weather, etc. I started wearing the watch while on my MTB so I don’t need to carry my phone. In a pinch, I can use my watch to make calls, open my garage door, check weather, etc. It’s also nice to get haptic alerts on my wrist. I also like being able to see incoming messages and email on my watch while in business meetings without having to look at my phone.

With AirPods, the watch works great to play music, either from the watch without the phone, or with the phone, in which case I can leave my phone in my pocket and use the watch as a remote. I can also use Siri on my watch to do all sorts of things, like select music, make calls, dictate and reply to messages if the surroundings permit, etc.

There are some other really cool capabilities with 3rd-party apps. My watch gets alerts from my ValentineOne radar detector using an App on my iPhone called V1Driver. I can mute the audio and get haptic and visual notifications on my wrist. I use “one-touch record” to record things occasionally, and have a similar app to record telephone calls.

There are some apps I’d like to see on the watch. For one, I’d like Garmin to create an app so when navigating using my Edge, I could get haptic alerts to upcoming turns. I’d also like to see a SiriusXM app for the watch to be used without the phone.

I really like the Apple Watch.

YesNdeed
09-15-2019, 09:46 AM
I'd like to upgrade to an Xs from my SE, but Apple currently isn't selling them, only the Xr and suggests a reseller. Weird, since they still sell the 8. Maybe they're just sold out for the time being.

djg21
09-15-2019, 10:06 AM
I'd like to upgrade to an Xs from my SE, but Apple currently isn't selling them, only the Xr and suggests a reseller. Weird, since they still sell the 8. Maybe they're just sold out for the time being.

The iPhone 11 and 11 pro were just announced and is being released on 9/20. If you don’t care about a brand new phone, you can probably find a used Xs fairly inexpensively next week. I typically upgrade every other generation of phones and sell my old one. I’m keeping my X until Apple releases a 5g phone, presumably this upcoming spring.

cash05458
09-15-2019, 05:12 PM
honestly dont mean to sound too curmudgeon here...not at all as whatever you dig you dig...and I can appreciate folks needing certain things...but having never owned a smart phone or mobile or otherwise, I don't get the differences as slight as they seem...opening garage doors? seriously?

Jeff Weir
09-15-2019, 07:59 PM
Misplaced. My bad

AngryScientist
09-15-2019, 08:28 PM
Unless I’m misreading Williams original question; I do not believe you can just buy an Apple Watch as a stand alone unit without pairing it with an iPhone

Jeff Weir
09-15-2019, 08:53 PM
Correct

rnhood
09-15-2019, 09:15 PM
The Apple watch is a waste of money and time, imho. The iPhone is decent, as are the equivalent Samsung models. I believe the Samsung, the 9 in particular, has better battery life than the iPhone. In fact much better. But both do a good job.

I have the iPhone 6 which has served me well. Its probably time I upgrade since its a bit long in the tooth.

For a watch, the Garmin watches are very good. I have the 920 XT and love it. If you swim, it has the best swimming function on the market, bar none.

YesNdeed
09-16-2019, 09:33 AM
The iPhone 11 and 11 pro were just announced and is being released on 9/20. If you don’t care about a brand new phone, you can probably find a used Xs fairly inexpensively next week. I typically upgrade every other generation of phones and sell my old one. I’m keeping my X until Apple releases a 5g phone, presumably this upcoming spring.

I don't care about the latest cool kid phone, so the Xs is as future proof as I'll need it to be. It will definitely come down in price, and hopefully Apple restocks it. Otherwise, maybe a retailer will unload some at a good deal.

I bought a 6s refurb years ago from an eBay seller, and the battery life was terrible. Nothing I did improved it, and after looking into the matter, I found that a large amount of 6s phones had defective batteries. Getting it replaced was an option, but I replaced it with an SE. So, refurbs aren't really a direction I want to go.

On topic, Apple watch appeals to me for use in place of a cycle computer, and to use while running - heart rate, Spotify, Strava etc...Has anyone used one for these purposes? To that end, there other options for smart watches, and thus begins the search. Someone was selling a Garmin Fenix on here a while back that I considered.

chiasticon
09-16-2019, 10:37 AM
I've had a series two watch for a couple years now and really like it. biggest complaint is having to charge it almost every day. favorite part is actually that weather is right on the face of it. it is also quite handy on rides to be able to make a quick text via voice without having to dig my phone out of my pocket and waterproof pouch. I use it with Strava for off-road riding when I wouldn't want to look at a computer anyway. it would be cool to take it and not my phone on rides, but I don't have the cellular watch; it's more expensive than the standard one plus you have to pay cellular fees for it too. don't want it that badly. actually to clarify: I could take the watch and not the phone on rides, and use it as a ride tracker via GPS (I do this for cross racing in fact). but I wouldn't have call/text/etc functionality.

as for which smartphone to get... they all basically do the same stuff. some people don't get on well with the iPhone or dislike Apple for some reason, and vice-versa with Android/etc. some people switch and are happy. if you're not in love with your Samsung, no harm in giving iPhone a shot.

madsciencenow
09-16-2019, 10:40 AM
I’m getting rather tired of chasing new tech. I’ve been wondering lately what’s the point.

+1 for this sentiment. Does this make me sound old?

madsciencenow
09-16-2019, 10:44 AM

I wanted an XS as well and went to upgrade my 5se last week at AT&T and they indicated XS is available until they run out and then they are done selling. I ended up with an XR b/c price was significantly less for similar function.

William
09-16-2019, 12:06 PM
When I am on call, I wear my Apple Watch. It’s waterproof, so I can wear it surfing, swimming and kayaking. The iPhone is waterproof, but it’s easier to just leave it in the car.

I like the EKG functionality on the series 4. I occasionally get a junctional rhythm. It is a satisfying in a nerdy way to see the waveform. The watch plus an app gives you a lead I EKG tracing.

At the time I posted I wasn't sure if you could use the Apple watch as a stand alone or if you had to have the iPhone as well to use it.

Honestly that would be the main function I would want to use it for. The rest is just bonus. The Garmin, Samsung, and fitbit all have heart rate monitoring but I don't see anything like the EKG functionality (at least that I can see so far).

W.

Mzilliox
09-16-2019, 12:34 PM
none of the above.

cderalow
09-16-2019, 01:59 PM
At the time I posted I wasn't sure if you could use the Apple watch as a stand alone or if you had to have the iPhone as well to use it.

Honestly that would be the main function I would want to use it for. The rest is just bonus. The Garmin, Samsung, and fitbit all have heart rate monitoring but I don't see anything like the EKG functionality (at least that I can see so far).

W.

you'll need an iphone to setup and update the watch, but do not require a phone for continual function.

livingminimal
09-16-2019, 02:06 PM
you'll need an iphone to setup and update the watch, but do not require a phone for continual function.

You do though, unless you get the wifi version of the watch/plan, to update software, apps, manage faces, etc. In fact you might still need it for those things regardless.

YesNdeed
09-16-2019, 09:13 PM
I wanted an XS as well and went to upgrade my 5se last week at AT&T and they indicated XS is available until they run out and then they are done selling. I ended up with an XR b/c price was significantly less for similar function.

Ah, that's what's going on then. Thanks for the info. Looks like new Xs phones are spoken for, and even the "renewed" ones, Amazon is calling them, are still up there in price. At $649 for the 128g Xr, that might be my phone. Apple says they'll give me $45 for my working SE. If they do, that will pay for tax.

commandcomm
09-16-2019, 09:45 PM
I am still rocking an iPhone SE and working like a champ. It cost $160. I just cannot yet get into a smart watch. It seems to be to be too much connectivity if you know what I mean.

GonaSovereign
09-16-2019, 10:51 PM
This ^. (but no Rolex - just a Breitling and Omega that are sitting).

I have the 3 which allows me to listen to music via bluetooth when I run, synchs nicely with map my run/ride to announce distance and pace etc., vibrates when google maps wants me to turn when driving, messages and text via the watch etc. They are probably discounting their old line now that the 5 (comes in Ti too) is out. The heart monitor is a nice feature which my 3 does not have - I only get notifications when my heartbeat goes below 40 while I am asleep (probably need to have that checked out as I go below 40 fairly frequently).

Anyone who wants to trade their Rolex/Breitling/Omega for Apple Watch should DM me immediately.

saab2000
09-17-2019, 03:32 AM
honestly dont mean to sound too curmudgeon here...not at all as whatever you dig you dig...and I can appreciate folks needing certain things...but having never owned a smart phone or mobile or otherwise, I don't get the differences as slight as they seem...opening garage doors? seriously?

Smartphones have transformed my life in a lot of ways. Not all good to be sure, but some features are amazing.

Opening garage doors may not be your thing, but it’s a feature my cousin uses. He can monitor his garage door. It’s a matter of home security. And my smart thermostat means I can monitor my home temp while I’m away. And change it when I land and warm it up in advance. All from my phone. And the internet phone calls around the world that are fee-free are nice too.

Smart phones can be amazing tools.

eric01
09-17-2019, 06:07 AM
if you’re into the latest tech and especially if you’re already invested in the Apple ecosystem then the Apple Watch is a great complementary piece.

If you’re not, well, an Internet forum certainly isn’t going to change your mind.

I have a watch series 2 and will likely get a series 5. For me, i think the watch is great for running and music. It auto syncs with my playlists. Stick in some Bluetooth earbuds, and I’m literally off and running. During the work day, it’s nice to get instant messages flashing on my watch without having to always have my phone in hand.

I don’t consider the watch as essential as my phone. But it’s a nice complementary piece.

YesNdeed
09-17-2019, 04:38 PM
I am still rocking an iPhone SE and working like a champ. It cost $160. I just cannot yet get into a smart watch. It seems to be to be too much connectivity if you know what I mean.

My SE took a swim during a camping trip a couple of months ago and amazingly still works, but is not all there and has been having various problems.

roydyates
09-17-2019, 08:36 PM
The apple watch has lots of features. I ignore most of them but a few I use regularly. I really like:

- the cycling exercise app gives reliable distance and climb stats, which is nice when i ride a route that doesn’t need a garmin route.

- The pulse monitoring during the ride also works great.

- the volume and fast forward/rewind controls for controlling my podcast app while driving

- text and phone also work pretty ok

All it takes is a few apps that you like.