PDA

View Full Version : garmin advice

dasein
09-13-2019, 12:11 PM
I have a Garmin 500, a 935 triathlon watch, and 2 sets of Vector 3s pedals 1 on a TT bike and 1 on a road bike. I use the 935 to send data to today's plan. I can't see the data on the watch easy enough during rides, so I put the edge 500 on my stem to track time and power. My 500 seems to only want to pick up one set of Vectors, whereas the 935 watch easily picks up both sets of pedals when I ride either bike. It seems as if the edge can only link with one power meter at a time. I'm guessing there is a newer edge model that will link to either set of pedals/bike when I switch out. I have paired both sets of Vectors with my edge, and it will read both, but only wants to read the last one I used without re pairing the other set.

Am I correct in assuming there is a new edge version that will do what my 935 does- picks up either vector once paired despite alternating pedals across rides? If so, which is recommended?

shoota
09-13-2019, 12:40 PM
Yeah there's a new model, it's called the Elemnt Roam. Best Garmin ever made :)

joosttx
09-13-2019, 12:46 PM
Yeah there's a new model, it's called the Elemnt Roam. Best Garmin ever made :)

Man, I just bought a Garmin 530 to check it out. It sucks.

FlashUNC
09-13-2019, 12:56 PM
Wahoo.

Big Dan
09-13-2019, 01:02 PM
Anything but Garmin.

kramnnim
09-13-2019, 01:18 PM
For the 500, you would set up a profile for each bike, and associate each set of ANT+ devices with each bike. (Newer Garmin units don't work like this.)

In other words, you would set up your road bike as Bike 1 and pairs that set of Vectors. And then set up the TT bike as Bike 2 and pair the other set of Vectors. Pick the appropriate profile when you start your ride.

Or if you buy into the Wahoo hype, I have a Bolt available, used it for a week and there's no way I'd switch from my Garmin.

simonov
09-13-2019, 01:22 PM
The Garmin 520 Plus is great and it'll do what you need. Mapping of the 820 but with buttons, so you don't have to fiddle with a touchscreen. Mine is paired with a dozen or so sensors across different bikes and they all connect perfectly. I wasn't a fan of the Wahoo either.

crownjewelwl
09-13-2019, 02:22 PM
i have a gently used edge 520 for sale

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=242005&highlight=edge+520

R3awak3n
09-13-2019, 02:44 PM
lol at the garmin hate....

the new garmins are great. They do what they suppose to do, battery life is great, touch screen is great, faster processor really makes a difference.

You can pair both vector pedals and depending which you are ridding, it will show you those pedals.

SpeedyChix
09-13-2019, 03:54 PM
Man, I just bought a Garmin 530 to check it out. It sucks.

I had one for a couple of days and went back and swapped it for the 830. The touch screen works and it's not 27 button pushes to do something.

joosttx
09-13-2019, 04:02 PM
I had one for a couple of days and went back and swapped it for the 830. The touch screen works and it's not 27 button pushes to do something.

It is like trying to perfect the button pattern for a nollie, kick flip, manual, impossible, darkslide, smith grind, casper, toe flip in Tony Hawk's skateboard video game.

dasein
09-13-2019, 04:06 PM
The Garmin 520 Plus is great and it'll do what you need. Mapping of the 820 but with buttons, so you don't have to fiddle with a touchscreen. Mine is paired with a dozen or so sensors across different bikes and they all connect perfectly. I wasn't a fan of the Wahoo either.

So, no need on the 520 to pair it with Bike1, Bike 2, etc.? It will just pick up whichever bike/pedal system I am using at the time?

kramnnim
09-13-2019, 04:08 PM
So, no need on the 520 to pair it with Bike1, Bike 2, etc.? It will just pick up whichever bike/pedal system I am using at the time?

It will pair with the first sensor it detects, if you wake the second set of pedals, it will ask if you want to switch to them.

Gummee
09-13-2019, 07:36 PM
I have a 130 that actually has a display function for my 935 built in. Don't use it, but it's there.

It picks up all 3 of my power meters, all 3 of my HR straps, and would pair with my phone if I turned that one too

The only thing I miss about my 520 is the ability to load workouts into the computer. The 130 is a little more basic than that

M

SpeedyChix
09-13-2019, 10:27 PM
It is like trying to perfect the button pattern for a nollie, kick flip, manual, impossible, darkslide, smith grind, casper, toe flip in Tony Hawk's skateboard video game.

That's an apt description of the 530.

kmla320
09-16-2019, 11:44 AM
I must be lucky, have used Garmins for twenty years and never had issues.
Had issue with crash on bike yesterday, no broken collar bones but ligament issues.Having surgery in October.I hate getting Old!

simonov
09-16-2019, 02:46 PM

When you first set it up you'll need to pair with any of the sensors you have around. It's a simple process. After that, the Garmin will detect whichever sensors are awake. I usually turn my garmin on after I've rolled my bike into the garage and away from the other bikes. It picks up all the sensors I want and none that I don't. Easy peasy.

benb
09-16-2019, 02:52 PM
Heh.. you know what I was thinking riding today..

Best thing you can do with your new Garmin (or a Wahoo or whatever!) is to turn off the bluetooth connection to the phone while riding.

Then you don't get notifications when the phone signal drops in and out and no one bothers you!

The best ride experience requires muting the phone too!

ernmony
09-21-2019, 07:22 PM
I must be lucky, have used Garmins for twenty years and never had issues.
Had issue with crash on bike yesterday, no broken collar bones but ligament issues.Having surgery in October.I hate getting Old!.

Hope you are okay! What bike did you ride?