PDA

View Full Version : Gates belt curious.

d_douglas
09-13-2019, 12:10 PM
Hi all,

Amongst the bikes that I have owned over the years, I have never owned a belt-drive bike and have always been curious. I think they look so nice and obviously, they have the benefits of simplicity of the SS.

I am not 100% sold on SS, but willing to try (again). With this in mind, I am not prepared to pay tons of money on any project.

I have been offered a cool, belt drive compatible frameset and am considering my options for installing used Shimano 10spd parts or investing in a Gates system.

For those who have done this, what do I need and what does it cost?

a belt
a cog
a chainring

Can I use a conventional geared rear wheel and install a Gates cog on the FHB? Or do I need to have a dedicated SS rear wheel?

I assume that as long as I have the correct bolt pattern, any crankset will be suitable? it'll all be simple - square taper, Avid BB7, etc.

Any thoughts on what I am up against? Should I just use 10spd 105 parts :)??

572cv
09-13-2019, 12:39 PM
No experience, but these guys local to me have been selling a gates belt system with a geared hub for a few years now. Maybe some useful info on their site:

https://budnitzbicycles.com/bicycles/view/no1-titanium-city-bicycle

Veloo
09-13-2019, 12:52 PM
I've used it. I still have the drive train but took it off my bike. I was riding it on a set of Mavic Speed City wheels.

Gates has the center track model that keeps the belt from drifting. The model before that can drift if your cog isn't aligned just right.
You can get some cassette spacers that give you a bit more precision in lining up the cog. Basically the set comes with thinner spacers. I got these:
http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopsingle.html

As you prob know, you'll need a frame that is split in the stay to allow the one piece belt in. Unless you get that Veer split belt system.

You'll need a way to tension the belt with either horizontal dropouts or an eccentric BB. My frame had the BB.

I wasn't crazy about the system with the eccentric BB.
Since the Gates belt is one piece, you have to find the right size belt that will fit your choice of chainring and cog tooth combination. If it's too short then it just won't fit. Too long and you won't get the proper tension on the belt to avoid slipping/ ratcheting.
Maybe it's easier with a bike with appropriate horizontal dropouts.

My frame has vertical dropouts. I got the tool that checks for proper belt tension. It's actually quite high. So high that when properly tensioned, I had a hard time removing and replacing the rear wheel and it could even slip out of not clamped down properly. I was also concerned about too much tension and stress on the drive side BB bearings.

I decided I like riding with gears so I took it down and went back to chain and RD.

p nut
09-13-2019, 12:55 PM
You can use a regular freehub, but will most likely need spacers. Gotta experiment with the tension as well. Too tight=drag. Too loose=drop.

Not worth spending any money on it, in my opinion. No real benefits. Hence why you typically don't see them at races, rides, or really anywhere. Gear ratio change can get expensive as well.

I'm sticking with a chain.

chiasticon
09-13-2019, 01:07 PM
Since the Gates belt is one piece, you have to find the right size belt that will fit your choice of chainring and cog tooth combination. If it's too short then it just won't fit. Too long and you won't get the proper tension on the belt to avoid slipping/ ratcheting.I've seen people say this before, and I get it. but isn't the same true for a single speed setup with a chain? if you make a change of more than maybe one tooth either direction, you need to alter your chain.

true, you can alter chain lengths, versus belts...

cp43
09-13-2019, 01:35 PM
I've seen people say this before, and I get it. but isn't the same true for a single speed setup with a chain? if you make a change of more than maybe one tooth either direction, you need to alter your chain.

How much change you can get away with for a given chain partly depends on how you tension it. If the frame has horizontal "track" dropouts, you can make changes bigger than 1 tooth on the same chain. The axle just sits farther forward/rearward, depending on the change.

But, you are correct, there are limits to the changes you can make without changing the length of the chain.

Veloo
09-13-2019, 01:37 PM
Been a few years but from what I recall, the combination of cogs, belt size and chainrings Gates had to offer was much more limited compared to a chain system. You also have to take into account the chainstay length.
With a chain you have more flexibility in sizing it and with a horizontal dropout you can fiddle with tension.
Also, the "teeth" profiles of the Gates system are shallow, thus the easier slipping. Chains have a bit deeper profile and again more flexibility because of it. At least I think so.

Oh and support wasn't great. When I did find some Gates website, they forwarded me over to some bike brand. Think it was Spot.

I've seen people say this before, and I get it. but isn't the same true for a single speed setup with a chain? if you make a change of more than maybe one tooth either direction, you need to alter your chain.

SPOKE
09-13-2019, 04:09 PM
I have a new Santana travel tandem that has the Gates belt for timing the two crank sets. LOVE IT!!

donevwil
09-13-2019, 05:07 PM
Put a Gates system on my wife's commuter which uses an Alfine 11. The reduction in required maintenance over a chain drive for year-round riding is significant. It is expensive (relative to chain drive) and, as already shared, proper chainline (sq taper BB req'd for me) and tension (frame has Paragon rockers which are perfect for this) are critical, but it's ride and forget after that.

Worthwhile for a belt-curious single speed? That's up to you.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697983948&d=1566591944

d_douglas
09-13-2019, 06:48 PM
Yes, the frame is compatible. It uses a PF30 BB, so I would need one of those $$$ Beer Components BBs to tension it.

They jus look sooo purdy and simple :) - but I’ve got perfectly functioning 10spd Shimano parts :)

William
09-13-2019, 06:50 PM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=100978&highlight=Belt+drive

W.