One of the best pop songsters ever. RIP

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/eddie-money-dead-obit-884000/

Big Dan
09-13-2019, 10:11 AM
Sad to hear.
Saw him back in the day, great show.

GOTHBROOKS
09-13-2019, 10:11 AM
i saw him with my parents in 97(?) at the strawberry festival in camarillo. he lived in westlake at the time, so theres maybe a 20 mile difference between the two towns. when he got on stage at 2pm he was visibly drunk and continuously mispronounced the towns name thought the entire set. total rockstar move yet decades since he had a hit. my parents loved it.

Blue Jays
09-13-2019, 10:14 AM
Very unfortunate news.
He seemed like a pleasant, friendly, and upbeat performer.

Matthew
09-13-2019, 03:20 PM
Saw him in 1984 in Saginaw, Michigan. Great show. Trinidad was always one of my favorite songs. Will miss him for sure. RIP Eddie.

EDS
09-13-2019, 03:57 PM
I hope he has at least one ticket to paradise left. RIP.

m4rk540
09-13-2019, 05:40 PM
Paceline, the kind of place you would hear about Eddie Money passing.

RIP

Did he sing Keep On Rocking Me, Baby? I'm my way to YouTube now.

scottcw2
09-13-2019, 05:49 PM
Paceline, the kind of place you would hear about Eddie Money passing.

RIP

Did he sing Keep On Rocking Me, Baby? I'm my way to YouTube now.

That was Steve Miller. But they are interchangeable except that one is still alive.

Too soon?

SlowPokePete
09-13-2019, 05:57 PM
Bringin' me back to high school days.

Just saw this on the news before reading it here.

Lotsa good songs...RIP

SPP

m4rk540
09-13-2019, 06:00 PM
That was Steve Miller. But they are interchangeable except that one is still alive.

Too soon?

My unemployed friends really like Loggins and Messina and James Taylor. I'm sure it's the result of having parents who were teenagers in the 70s. Eddie Money is still to be discovered in my peer group. Time to hit up the used record shop.

Who was the guy with the giant pig who was featured on The Simpsons? Frampton?

charliedid
09-13-2019, 06:12 PM

Too soon?

Never too soon but you couldn’t be more wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOTHBROOKS
09-13-2019, 06:21 PM
steve miller was taught by les paul or something as a child and frampton was the one who bought the pig from pink floyd during lollapalloza.

clap everytime you mention a town in texas.

m4rk540
09-13-2019, 06:21 PM
Is Eddie Money in the league of Lindsey Buckingham, Jeff Lynne and the guys in Steely Dan. In terms of song craft? I dont want to become an Eddie Money fan so I'm hoping for a definitive answer here instead of Spotify.

charliedid
09-13-2019, 06:23 PM
Is Eddie Money in the league of Lindsey Buckingham, Jeff Lynne and the guys in Steely Dan. In terms of song craft? I dont want to become an Eddie Money fan so I'm hoping for a definitive answer here instead of Spotify.

Yes

m4rk540
09-13-2019, 06:24 PM
My mind is blown.

GOTHBROOKS
09-13-2019, 06:27 PM
if that blows your mind you should check of an lp by a little band called POCO.

beeatnik
09-13-2019, 06:30 PM
One of my buddies who showers about once a month is big into Poco. We say he takes Poco showers. :p

William
09-13-2019, 06:32 PM
In the early days of MTV, when they actually played music, this was heavily in rotation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tcD_dVcXE4

Along with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJbBSIFN36k

RIP Mr. Money.

W.

charliedid
09-13-2019, 06:35 PM
My mind is blown.

Boom

m4rk540
09-13-2019, 06:35 PM
I'm glad I wasn't exposed to MTV until the 90s. Wocka wocka.

GOTHBROOKS
09-13-2019, 06:43 PM
the first time i saw the video for dire straights money for nothing i thought it was an actual cartoon. i was too young to understand music videos.

William
09-13-2019, 06:45 PM
the first time i saw the video for dire straights money for nothing i thought it was an actual cartoon. i was too young to understand music videos.

...and your chips for free!!!:)

W.

beeatnik
09-13-2019, 06:47 PM
I was listening to Linda Ronstadt all day because she's Mexican (kinda) and Three Dog Night just came on (algorithms and sheet). Never Been To Spain, that's a good jam. First time I listen to it voluntarily! There's a whole world of good bad music out there.

William
09-13-2019, 06:48 PM
I'm glad I wasn't exposed to MTV until the 90s. Wocka wocka.

That was the beginning of the end! I blame Puck for what opened the gates for "Reality TV"!!!:fight:

:D
W.

Peter P.
09-13-2019, 07:12 PM

No.

One of them is not like the others, and it's not Eddie Money.

Jaybee
09-13-2019, 07:37 PM
I hope he has at least one ticket to paradise left. RIP.

Came for this, not disappointed

m4rk540
09-13-2019, 07:52 PM
No.

So, Lindsey Buckingham, Jeff Lynne and Steely Dan, all in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. Eddie Money, only money, no Hall of Fame?

charliedid
09-13-2019, 07:55 PM
So, Lindsey Buckingham, Jeff Lynne and Steely Dan, all in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. Eddie Money, only money, no Hall of Fame?

Really?

That's the benchmark metric? Please....

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/12/the-20-worst-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-snubs/

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/10/a-running-list-of-rock-n-roll-hall-of-fame-omissions/

Frankwurst
09-13-2019, 08:06 PM
No.

I agree. Not even close. :beer:

charliedid
09-13-2019, 08:09 PM
Chew on the Not in Hall of Fame list as well

http://www.notinhalloffame.com/

pjm
09-13-2019, 08:10 PM
I agree. Not even close. :beer:
Yeah, I’m sorry Eddie is gone, but to compare him to Donald Fagan and Walter Becker? C’mon:rolleyes:

Louis
09-13-2019, 08:15 PM
https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/10/a-running-list-of-rock-n-roll-hall-of-fame-omissions/

If that's a list representing those they think should be in the R&R HOF, why even bother to have one? Someone somewhere in Cleveland could just post a list of anyone who ever did anything remotely similar to "Rock," whatever that is, and call it a day.

a complete list of names for you below:

— A Tribe Called Quest
— Afrika Bambaataa
— Alice In Chains
— The B-52’s
— Bad Brains
— Bad Company
— Barry White
— Bauhaus
— Beck
— Big Star
— Björk
— Black Flag
— Blur
— Brian Eno
— The Buzzcocks
— Can
— Captain Beefheart
— Carole King
— The Carpenters
— Chic
— The Commodores
— Connie Francis
— Dave Matthews Band
— De La Soul
— The Dead Kennedys
— Def Leppard
— Depeche Mode
— Devo
— Dick Dale
— The Doobie Brothers
— Duran Duran
— Emerson, Lake and Palmer
— Eric B. and Rakim
— Eurythmics
— Faith No More
— The Flaming Lips
— Fugazi 5
— George Michael
— Gram Parsons
— The Guess Who
— Harry Nilsson
— Hüsker Dü
— INXS
— Iron Maiden
— The Jam
— Jan and Dean
— Jane’s Addiction
— Jeff Buckley
— The Jesus and Mary Chain
— Jethro Tull
— Jim Croce
— Johnny Burnette and the Rock N Roll Trio
— Joy Division
— Judas Priest
— Kate Bush
— King Crimson
— Link Wray
— Love
— Mariah Carey
— The Marvelettes
— Mary Wells
— Massive Attack
— MC5
— Megadeth
— The Monkees
— Mötley Crüe
— Motörhead
— My Bloody Valentine
— Neu!
— New Order
— New York Dolls
— Nick Cave
— Nick Drake
— Nine Inch Nails
— The Offspring
— OutKast
— Ozzy Osbourne
— Pantera
— Pat Benatar
— Pavement
— Peter, Paul and Mary
— Pixies
— PJ Harvey
— Procol Harum
— The Replacements
— The Roots
— The Runaways
— Scott Walker
— Silver Apples
— Siouxsie and the Banshees
— Slayer
— The Smashing Pumpkins
— The Smiths
— Snoop Dogg
— Sonic Youth
— Soundgarden
— Sparks
— The Specials
— The Spinners
— Steppenwolf
— Stone Roses
— Stone Temple Pilots
— Suicide
— T. Rex
— Television
— Thin Lizzy
— Three Dog Night
— Tommy James and the Shondells
— Tool
— Toots and the Maytals
— Tori Amos
— War
— Warren Zevon
— “Weird Al” Yankovic
— Whitney Houston
— Wu-Tang Clan
— X
— XTC

charliedid
09-13-2019, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I’m sorry Eddie is gone, but to compare him to Donald Fagan and Walter Becker? C’mon:rolleyes:

Why?

sfo1
09-13-2019, 08:27 PM
College buddy of mine went to high school in Lafayette and had great stories of Eddie Money cruising the high school for girls all liquored up in a convertible Cadillac. I’d place that circa early 80’s.

charliedid
09-13-2019, 08:27 PM
If that's a list representing those they think should be in the R&R HOF, why even bother to have one? Someone somewhere in Cleveland could just post a list of anyone who ever did anything remotely similar to "Rock," whatever that is, and call it a day.

I didn't bring it up and don't (obviously) have much use for it but in context that's a pretty damning list. Tell me you can't at least pull a couple dozen of those as candidates for HOF....whatever that is:-)

Louis
09-13-2019, 08:32 PM
Tell me you can't at least pull a couple dozen of those as candidates for HOF....whatever that is:-)

True, a few, but the list of those on there who have no business being in the sentence as "Hall of Fame" is even longer. ( IMHO, of course )

Frankwurst
09-13-2019, 08:35 PM
I didn't bring it up and don't (obviously) have much use for it but in context that's a pretty damning list. Tell me you can't at least pull a couple dozen of those as candidates for HOF....whatever that is:-)

Pretty interesting list and I couldn't agree with you more. Hell I came up with a few just off of the first page.:beer:

scottcw2
09-13-2019, 10:08 PM

As has been said, not even close. If there were a league, Eddie would be playing winter ball while the others are in the show.

XXtwindad
09-13-2019, 10:39 PM
Pop in the 8 Track and crack a beer for the best NYPD-cop-turned-pop-star ever.

marciero
09-14-2019, 05:28 AM
The issue with the Hall is not omissions, it's inclusions, stemming from the apparent need to induct people every year. They really need to skip a few years now and then.

Other thoughts:
Let's just respectfully say RIP EM- nice goin with a few pop/bubble gum hits- and not try to pretend there is any comparison in terms of ouvre to the likes of, say, Steely Dan.

Linda Ronstadt was mentioned... I just saw "LR, The Sound of My Voice" last night and it was awesome. Much better than similar recent offerings on SoCal 60's and 70's music scene: "Echo in the Canyon"-pretty lame. "Remember my Name", the David Crosby thing- a little better.

charliedid
09-14-2019, 08:36 AM
What is with all the comparisons? And why belittle EM for just playing "bubble gum pop" songs? And let's be clear we are not talking about sports here we are talking about performing art. People may not favor a guy like Eddie Money or Greg Kihn, or Huey Lewis and on and on, because it doesn't appeal, but stop seeing these acts for what they are not and try and see them for what they are.

You may (or may not) be surprised after giving a deeper look and a longer listen.

Anyway, I always liked they guy and his music and if there were a league, Eddie Money would have had at least a couple Golden Gloves.

XXtwindad
09-14-2019, 10:37 AM
What is with all the comparisons? And why belittle EM for just playing "bubble gum pop" songs? And let's be clear we are not talking about sports here we are talking about performing art. People may not favor a guy like Eddie Money or Greg Kihn, or Huey Lewis and on and on, because it doesn't appeal, but stop seeing these acts for what they are not and try and see them for what they are.

You may (or may not) be surprised after giving a deeper look and a longer listen.

Anyway, I always liked they guy and his music and if there were a league, Eddie Money would have had at least a couple Golden Gloves.

My thinking has "evolved" on this. I never liked Huey Lewis. But I have a former client and good friend who's a long-time musician and serious musicologist. Played in a ska/punk band for many years. My buddy Phil said that if Huey Lewis is ever playing in the area, he'll buy ticket, no questions asked. He told me that I should try to appreciate HL&TN for what it is: perfectly crafted pop and bubblegum blues.

GOTHBROOKS
09-14-2019, 11:16 AM
Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.
In '87, Huey released this; Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself.

2metalhips
09-14-2019, 12:36 PM
The issue with the Hall is not omissions, it's inclusions, stemming from the apparent need to induct people every year. They really need to skip a few years now and then.

Other thoughts:
Let's just respectfully say RIP EM- nice goin with a few pop/bubble gum hits- and not try to pretend there is any comparison in terms of ouvre to the likes of, say, Steely Dan.

Linda Ronstadt was mentioned... I just saw "LR, The Sound of My Voice" last night and it was awesome. Much better than similar recent offerings on SoCal 60's and 70's music scene: "Echo in the Canyon"-pretty lame. "Remember my Name", the David Crosby thing- a little better.

I saw "LR, The Sound of My Voice" yesterday in Providence. I agree it was excellent, really brought back memories of those great tunes. A voice for the ages, so sad to see her now with Parkinsons. I wanted to see "Echo in the Canyon" but missed it, I guess I didn't miss much after all.

marciero
09-14-2019, 02:14 PM
I saw "LR, The Sound of My Voice" yesterday in Providence. I agree it was excellent, really brought back memories of those great tunes. A voice for the ages, so sad to see her now with Parkinsons. I wanted to see "Echo in the Canyon" but missed it, I guess I didn't miss much after all.

I suppose Echo was worth seeing for some of the footage and some, not all, of the reminiscences. Outsize focus on Jakob Dylan interviews and concert footage of tribute versions of tunes-performances were good, just didnt quite inform the rest of the film. Also complete omission of Joni Mitchell, and roundtable discussion of musi-cultural context by people who were not even born yet.

scottcw2
09-14-2019, 05:07 PM
He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

This is adorbs.

beeatnik
09-14-2019, 05:43 PM
Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.
In '87, Huey released this; Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself.

Best Murder Song Ever.

Hi, Burnette!

saab2000
09-14-2019, 06:19 PM
Why bother comparing Eddie Money? His music is fine and fun and stands in its own.

It’s just rock and roll and overthinking it is overthinking it. I enjoyed his music and once heard him promoting his stuff on a Twin Cities radio station around 1990 and he was a natural. He would have made a great radio personality in addition to making good tunes of his own.

beeatnik
09-14-2019, 06:32 PM
Why bother comparing Eddie Money? His music is fine and fun and stands in its own.

It’s just rock and roll and overthinking it is overthinking it. I enjoyed his music and once heard him promoting his stuff on a Twin Cities radio station around 1990 and he was a natural. He would have made a great radio personality in addition to making good tunes of his own.

That's all fine but maybe the younger Paceliners (Under 50, 40, 30?) need a bit of context? The RIPs here tend to be for cycling legends and historical figures. I mean every death deserves remembrance but....

Duende
09-14-2019, 07:20 PM
I was listening to Linda Ronstadt all day because she's Mexican (kinda) and Three Dog Night just came on (algorithms and sheet). Never Been To Spain, that's a good jam. First time I listen to it voluntarily! There's a whole world of good bad music out there.

Dude, Linda Ronstadt is 100% Mexican from Tucson. Our families have known each other for years. Big fan... she’s an amazing musician and rare talent... as well as a huge philanthropist.

Eddie Money?? Meh... whatever. Nice enough dude with some mediocre hits. I can’t believe he’s being compared to Steve Miller. Not even remotely in the same league.

charliedid
09-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Best Murder Song Ever.

Hi, Burnette!

Best song to murder to...

Matthew
09-14-2019, 08:44 PM
Wow, some of you are dicks. If not a fan why even post on the thread? The guy died for crying out loud. Can you at least wait a while before the comparisons and criticisms?

GOTHBROOKS
09-14-2019, 10:00 PM
no.

gasman
09-14-2019, 10:12 PM
Okay enough.

A musician who many members liked has passed away. If you didn’t care for him fine. Just leave the man in peace.

I think we’re done here.