PDA

View Full Version : Slipped skewer = Broken bone

Geoff
12-21-2006, 03:44 PM
I was finishing the group ride this morning and no sooner did i complement my DT 240s wheel set to a riding companion, did the skewer slip at a green light and i went right over the bars to recieve a broken radius head in my left elbow.

I have never had any problems with the DT skewers before but will be replacing them now.

Looks like 2-3 off the bike for me... Merry Christams

G

btw it took me 10 minutes to type this

dave thompson
12-21-2006, 03:50 PM
I was finishing the group ride this morning and no sooner did i complement my DT 240s wheel set to a riding companion, did the skewer slip at a green light and i went right over the bars to recieve a broken radius head in my left elbow.

I have never had any problems with the DT skewers before but will be replacing them now.

Looks like 2-3 off the bike for me... Merry Christams

G

btw it took me 10 minutes to type this
...teach you patience Grasshopper!

Seriously though, glad to hear that it wasn't worse.

gt6267a
12-21-2006, 03:58 PM
geoff, first, sorry to hear about your accident. no doubt the first few days of figuring out how to do things after breaking a hand is a real pita. i broke the right one in high school and know how much that sucks. i'll second the "glad that is all you broke"

second, i have dt skewers on my mtn bike and they seem fine. i am wondering if you have more details about the accident. how tight was the skewer? anyone else have problems with the dt skewers? is this something i need to be concerned about?

Geoff
12-21-2006, 04:15 PM
I generally ha e them as tight as I can ge them the guy that was with me put the wheel back on and did say that it was a little loose. We were ridding on some pretty rough roads so it may have vibrated loose? All just theory at this point.

Geoff

chuckred
12-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Not that I like them or have them on my road bike...

catulle
12-21-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm very sorry to hear of your accident. I think I've posted here several times that I ended up once under the front fender of a running car in the middle of the street as a result of an American Classics rear skewer slipping on me. I think Campagnolo are the skewers to have if you want to be safe in that respect. I hope you heel fast. Shoulder injuries are a pita.

mike p
12-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Sorry to hear of your accident. It's pretty hard to beat DA or Campy QR. I have tried a few aftermarket QR's and some save a little weight but I haven't found any as secure as the big two.

Mike

ergott
12-21-2006, 06:52 PM
That's a shame to hear. I hope you recover soon.

I second Catulle. Campy skewers on my bikes no matter what the wheels are. Dura Ace are good too, but I like the feel of Campagnolos better.

CNY rider
12-21-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm sorry you had an accident, and I wish you a quick recovery. I will take advantage of your post as a good "heads-up" and go check my DT skewers before riding on them again.
For those asking about problems with DT skewers I will say I have ridden on them for several years, and never had a problem. YMMV.

cadence231
12-21-2006, 07:16 PM
But what about the irony. That should be the thread topic!
Glad you oh k.