PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried oversized pulley wheels / OSPW?

K3RRY
09-11-2019, 10:38 PM
Putting price aside and for those that have tried it β€” any noticeable difference?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1473/2720/files/oversized_pulley_hero_1024x1024.jpg

earlfoss
09-12-2019, 06:55 AM
I used the Ceramicspeed pulley on my BMC Teammachine last season. There was the slightest feeling of less drivetrain friction. I was racing a lot, so to me it was worth the expense even if the gain was small. Some say that there's a tiny reduction in shifting performance but if your drivetrain is well maintained and CLEAN it's not going to be a problem.

K3RRY
09-12-2019, 09:31 PM
I used the Ceramicspeed pulley on my BMC Teammachine last season. There was the slightest feeling of less drivetrain friction. I was racing a lot, so to me it was worth the expense even if the gain was small. Some say that there's a tiny reduction in shifting performance but if your drivetrain is well maintained and CLEAN it's not going to be a problem.

Thanks for your input!

Mark McM
09-13-2019, 09:19 AM
Putting price aside and for those that have tried it β€” any noticeable difference?

It depends on where you are looking for the noticeable difference. CeramicSpeed says they can save 2.4 Watts under a 250 Watt load - that's just under 1%. On a flat road, a 1% power savings can increase speed by about 0.33% - so for the same power to go 25 mph, with the OSPW pulleys you would go 25.08 mph. Is that a difference a rider would notice from the saddle? Probably not. But it could be noticeable on a stop watch, as that speed increase could save 12 seconds per hour.

In short, unless you regularly measure your performance with a stop watch, the performance would probably be under the threshold of just noticeable difference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-noticeable_difference).

Black Dog
09-13-2019, 09:45 AM
It depends on where you are looking for the noticeable difference. CeramicSpeed says they can save 2.4 Watts under a 250 Watt load - that's just under 1%. On a flat road, a 1% power savings can increase speed by about 0.33% - so for the same power to go 25 mph, with the OSPW pulleys you would go 25.08 mph. Is that a difference a rider would notice from the saddle? Probably not. But it could be noticeable on a stop watch, as that speed increase could save 12 seconds per hour.

In short, unless you regularly measure your performance with a stop watch, the performance would probably be under the threshold of just noticeable difference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-noticeable_difference).

This. No one will notice the difference. It is there but too small to perceive.

jc031699
09-13-2019, 05:32 PM
Haha but this may put it beyond the JND threshold

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mental-health/the-power-of-the-placebo-effect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

berserk87
09-13-2019, 05:33 PM
I wonder how much the placebo effect would play into noticing any difference. If you ponied up some decent cash for these, my guess is that it would be easier to perceive a reduction in drivetrain drag.

Post-script - the comment above was posted while typing this. Beat me to the punch.

verbs4us
09-13-2019, 05:45 PM
Does it affect shifting speed or accuracy? Chain wear (less chain rotation per rivet...)?

I put a set on my bike and I have to fight off the line of babes chasing me down. Definitely a magnet.

bikinchris
09-13-2019, 07:40 PM
One cool side effect: Had a customer who wanted to swap his eTap to a Wifli to run lower gears.
Swapping to a Ceramic Speed cage and pulley setup was cheaper. It shifted perfectly fine.

ravdg316
09-13-2019, 11:40 PM
One cool side effect: Had a customer who wanted to swap his eTap to a Wifli to run lower gears.
Swapping to a Ceramic Speed cage and pulley setup was cheaper. It shifted perfectly fine.

β€œHey babe can I get ceramic pulleys for my bike so I can save us some money?”

oldpotatoe
09-14-2019, 06:26 AM

Everything that's old is new again..7703 rear der with big pulleys..I think the top had a ceramic insert(?)..