PDA

View Full Version : 100-mile endurance run and double century in same weekend

fiamme red
09-11-2019, 06:47 PM
https://www.deseret.com/sports/2019/9/11/20859064/utah-runner-cyclist-ian-farris-competes-in-the-wasatch-100-mile-and-lotoja-in-the-same-weekend

...Two of Utah’s biggest endurance events took place last weekend: The Wasatch 100 Mile Endurance Run — a grueling slog up and down the mountains from Kaysville to Midway that gains 24,000 feet in cumulative elevation — began early Friday morning, and finished early Saturday morning, just a few hours before the start of the LoToJa cycling race — a gut-checking, 201.5-mile ride from Logan to Jackson, Wyoming, with an elevation gain of 9,373 feet.

Just one of those events is considered a major feat of endurance, one that few attempt. Both have earned national respect for their difficulty.

Farris completed both in one weekend.

He began the Wasatch 100 at 5 a.m. Friday morning and finished at 3:48 a.m. the next morning. Three and a half hours later, which included a drive to Logan, he was pedaling a bike toward Jackson Hole. He arrived at the finish at 8 p.m...Amazing! :hello:

godfrey1112000
09-11-2019, 07:00 PM
But get inline behind the guy, 50 full Ironmans, in 50 days across 50 states

tv_vt
09-11-2019, 07:52 PM
Whatever.

I just don't get it.

charliedid
09-11-2019, 08:59 PM
Weirdos all.

redir
09-11-2019, 09:11 PM
Truly amazing indeed. I have a few friends who are into the ultra marathons and that is crazy enough. I guess as long as you keep feeding the beast it will perform.

muz
09-11-2019, 10:39 PM
But get inline behind the guy, 50 full Ironmans, in 50 days across 50 states

Really? I call BS on this one. I know two guys who have done 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days, and that was already hard.

CunegoFan
09-11-2019, 10:40 PM
https://www.deseret.com/sports/2019/9/11/20859064/utah-runner-cyclist-ian-farris-competes-in-the-wasatch-100-mile-and-lotoja-in-the-same-weekend

Amazing! :hello:

That is amazing he would even sign up for Lotoja with the expectation he could make the start. The Wasatch 100 course is super difficult. I found Leadville 100 to be a cakewalk compared to it. Going under 24 hours is a dream lots of Utah ultrarunners have but never make. Traditionally going under 24 would put you in the top 5% or so. Going under 23 is flying. Temperatures on the course last Friday were unexpectedly nice. Two days earlier and they would have been twenty degrees hotter. With those higher temperatures he probably would not have gone under 24 and would not have been able to make the drive up to Logan in time for Lotoja's start.

p nut
09-11-2019, 10:55 PM
Not only is running the Wasatch 100 under 23hrs amazing, but the article says he only rode 100 miles leading up to Lotoja. That’s 100 miles total with the longest ride being 15 miles. Still finished in a respectable 12hrs.

Clean39T
09-12-2019, 12:35 AM
Really? I call BS on this one. I know two guys who have done 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days, and that was already hard.There's a Netflix documentary. It happened. Wasn't pretty. Wasn't clean. But it happened.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Louis
09-12-2019, 12:42 AM
There's a Netflix documentary. It happened. Wasn't pretty. Wasn't clean. But it happened.

Just traveling to all 50 states in 50 days would be tiring, let alone having to also find the time, energy and stamina to do an Ironman in each one, that's truly nuts.

You obviously have to sleep while traveling, and I suppose you'd be so exhausted it wouldn't be hard to do that, but after a week or so I bet the athlete was still close to hallucinating.

marciero
09-12-2019, 04:21 AM
There's a Netflix documentary. It happened. Wasn't pretty. Wasn't clean. But it happened.

Exactly- pretty ugly. with all the asterisks-ellipticals, indoor trainers, treadmills... saline injections-whether it happened depends on your definition of what "it" is.

For me, in order for these "events" to be appealing there has to be an aesthetic, and simplicity is part of it. self support is part of that. So for example RAAM has less of an appeal than Trans Am or Tour Divide.

I will say that I am impressed with what this guy did. Would increase the aesthetic factor if he rode to the bike race. Also, he apparently finished fresh as a daisy, rather than completely destroying himself.

godfrey1112000
09-12-2019, 05:22 AM
Really? I call BS on this one. I know two guys who have done 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days, and that was already hard.

In 50 straight days
https://www.orderofman.com/50-ironmans-50-states-50-days-james-lawrence/

CunegoFan
09-12-2019, 06:24 AM
Exactly- pretty ugly. with all the asterisks-ellipticals, indoor trainers, treadmills... saline injections-whether it happened depends on your definition of what "it" is.

For me, in order for these "events" to be appealing there has to be an aesthetic, and simplicity is part of it. self support is part of that. So for example RAAM has less of an appeal than Trans Am or Tour Divide.

I will say that I am impressed with what this guy did. Would increase the aesthetic factor if he rode to the bike race. Also, he apparently finished fresh as a daisy, rather than completely destroying himself.

I am much more impressed by someone like Scott Jurek doing the Appalachian trail. Similar number of days, all on his feet, which is much more punishing than doing most of the distance on a bike. Also an objective goal instead of an RV pulling into a flat park, walking circles for six hours, and calling it an Ironman.

The Iron Cowboy is a POS. Who loses their job and then instead of getting another one, moves his family into a parent's house and puts them on welfare so he can pursue fame by doing Ironmans. Not to mention the sketchy charity he was running at the time.

marciero
09-12-2019, 07:04 AM
I am much more impressed by someone like Scott Jurek doing the Appalachian trail. Similar number of days, all on his feet, which is much more punishing than doing most of the distance on a bike. Also an objective goal instead of an RV pulling into a flat park, walking circles for six hours, and calling it an Ironman.

The Iron Cowboy is a POS. Who loses their job and then instead of getting another one, moves his family into a parent's house and puts them on welfare so he can pursue fame by doing Ironmans. Not to mention the sketchy charity he was running at the time.

The Jurek thing ranks high on the aesthetic scale. Run the AT. Simple and beautiful. Had controversy too. Cracking open a bottle of champagne on Katahdin. Scandalous!

oldpotatoe
09-12-2019, 08:02 AM
Truly amazing indeed. I have a few friends who are into the ultra marathons and that is crazy enough. I guess as long as you keep feeding the beast it will perform.

I bumped into a friend of mine during a Marine Corps Marathon..he was using this race as 'training' for an ultra he was doing in 2 weeks..I saw his back for about 2 minutes..then away he went...

wc1934
09-12-2019, 08:32 AM
The Jurek thing ranks high on the aesthetic scale. Run the AT. Simple and beautiful. Had controversy too. Cracking open a bottle of champagne on Katahdin. Scandalous!

He is a beast. Won all the best known/major ultras. But he did have support for the AT.
His books and McDougall's book (Born to Run) are good reads.

jemdet
09-12-2019, 08:36 AM
The run sounds so much worse than the ride. Kudos.

redir
09-12-2019, 09:33 AM
That 50.50.50 feet is truly unbelievable. That guy is a beast. Who cares if he ran circles in a parking lot a feet like that is insurmountable. It will be interesting to see if anyone ever even challenges it.

redir
09-12-2019, 09:35 AM
I bumped into a friend of mine during a Marine Corps Marathon..he was using this race as 'training' for an ultra he was doing in 2 weeks..I saw his back for about 2 minutes..then away he went...

I hear ya. Last year a friend of mine did a marathon on a Saturday and there was a mountain bike race on Sunday and he passed me like I was standing still and just kept going. I know it's two different muscle groups but still.

adub
09-12-2019, 09:40 AM
The actions of privileged middle aged type A males can be weird at times..