PDA

View Full Version : Torn achilles, considering selling bike

reconstyle
09-11-2019, 02:10 PM
Unfortunately I tore my achilles and will be off the bike for at least 4 months, so I'm thinking about selling my bike to help pay for some medical expenses.

I know Trek's aren't popular around here, but I'm wondering how much I can realistically get for it.

I purchased the frame used, but all of the other components are brand new. The bike has less than 500 miles on it as built.

Specs:

2018 Trek Domane Disc SL8 frame

DuraAce Di2 9170 shifters

Ultegra r8000 Di2 front and rear derailleurs

Ultegra r8000 dual leg Pioneer power meter (50/34 172.5)

DuraAce calipers and rotors

Enve 5.6 wheelset (tubeless ready, but currently setup with 700x28c GP5000 tires and tubes)

3T Superergo Team Stealth handlebars with bar end Di2 junction (42cm)

Trek Blndr stem system with a combo garmin/go pro out front mount

https://i.imgur.com/vnhz4Xk.jpg

DaveS
09-11-2019, 03:11 PM
I just tore my Achilles a few weeks ago, so I can commiserate.

That being said, I was able to do some easy pedaling on the trainer at about 3 weeks post op while wearing a boot/ Vacocast - in fact, it's actually encouraged as part of the rehab protocol I'm on.

I know that's not the question you asked...but I guess I'm voting for don't sell the bike if possible

DaveS

Blue Jays
09-11-2019, 03:33 PM
Any modest proceeds made would barely impact medical expenses.
You will probably wish to return to cycling as part of rehabilitation.
Only sell it as a true last resort since the bicycle is part of the cure.

cmg
09-11-2019, 04:17 PM
don't sell. it's lost will remind of the injury.

merlinmurph
09-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Ugh, been there with the achilles 2 years ago. No surgery, just a boot for awhile. Atrophy sucks, my right calf still isn't back to where it was.

You're going to need a bike in a few months for rehab - why sell it? Only you know what you can do money-wise, but count me in on not selling the bike and finding another way.

Good luck with the recovery.

joosttx
09-11-2019, 08:36 PM
Which one of you is an easymoneysniper burner account?

19wisconsin64
09-11-2019, 08:51 PM
Hi, your bicycle has all of the modern updated items-DI2, disc brakes, and Dura-Ace. That along with the Enve wheelset, I've got to believe you are looking at $5,000 or more.
Personally selling my Domane, but it's 2012, no disc brakes, lower components, lower wheelset, and it's only worth a fraction of what was put into it, no matter how good it still is. Purchased it on this forum too.
Maybe sell the wheelset separately from the bicycle, and put the original wheels back on for the sale? Just thinking about how you can maximize your dollars in your sale.
It seems so dialed in, and so perfect, and the other folk's advice on keeping it makes sense.
Hope your recovery goes quickly and well.

TomNY
09-13-2019, 12:21 PM
Nice Bike! Don't sell anything because you will be challenged to gain an equal bike in the future. Body heals and the doctors sends the bills. Good luck with your PT and be patient!

TR

msl819
09-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Having torn my achilles, I can relate. If you need the cash for medical expenses that is one thing -sell the bike and pay your bills. Other bikes can always be had.

That said, my experience was similar to what you mention. 3-4 month out I could ride. My lower leg tired quickly and my fitness was gone. I needed more than just the bike to rehab well, but getting back on the bike was a major goal. Six month post-op I was "released." But it was another six month before I began to feel at all normal. Expect tightness... that seemed to linger for some time.

I am closing in one ten years and for the most part, it does not factor in much at all to how i live and play. I have a smaller left calf as is normal. I would say if you don't need the money, don't sell the bike. It is doubtful you will get your invest out of it and it is a great carrot to dangle out in front of you as you rehab.

With Winter just around the corner, how much riding with you be doing anyway?

chiasticon
09-13-2019, 12:53 PM
sorry about your injury! lots of people have said they did the same... how does one tear an achilles cycling? please tell me so I can try to avoid it!

I think more people around here own Treks than you might think. they're fine bikes in general, and yours definitely is. only you know whether/not you must sell it to pay for the health care costs. but if you must, I would recommend parting it out, or at least allowing the option to do so as well as complete. that way you're likely to get more cash for it, or even sell it at all.

msl819
09-13-2019, 01:08 PM
I tore mine playing basketball in my early 30s. According to my surgeon I was a textbook case.

saab2000
09-13-2019, 01:12 PM
Don't sell. You will only recoup a fraction of what you paid for it and it'll still be a nice bike when you are able to ride it again.

Try to cover these medical costs another way. Used bikes of all sorts depreciate incredibly quickly. That's not to say they're not nice, but it's a buyer's market.

Before you do this, check out comparable stuff on eBay. It's eye-watering.....

merlinmurph
09-13-2019, 03:54 PM
how does one tear an achilles cycling? please tell me so I can try to avoid it!.

I did mine playing platform tennis, AKA paddle.

joosttx
09-13-2019, 03:56 PM
sorry about your injury! lots of people have said they did the same... how does one tear an achilles cycling? please tell me so I can try to avoid it!

I think more people around here own Treks than you might think. they're fine bikes in general, and yours definitely is. only you know whether/not you must sell it to pay for the health care costs. but if you must, I would recommend parting it out, or at least allowing the option to do so as well as complete. that way you're likely to get more cash for it, or even sell it at all.

My buddy in grade school severed his jumping a creek and having a jagged metal pedal almost slice through his tendon.

benb
09-13-2019, 03:57 PM
Figure out if there's something else that will lose you less money.

Bikes depreciate like crazy.. you might lose less money if you took money out of a 401k or something and paid the penalties assuming you're like the rest of us and would be seriously messed up in the head without a bike once you healed.

Medical bills/insurance suck.. you already have this bike, so I'd keep it, but before you go buying any more bikes work on a safety cushion savings account or something to prevent being in this situation again.. achilles tendon surgery sounds mild in the realm of what medical bills can hit you with. :eek:

Bikes are so hard to get perfect too.. I'd go sell my camera gear or any other stuff around the house before I'd sell my bike. I have guitar stuff too. I would not sell a guitar cause they are personalized/setup like a bike but all the other guitar stuff would go before the bike(s), everything that was an off the shelf product. Stuff like a camera you can just go get another identical one really easily when finances are good again.

eak12
09-13-2019, 04:10 PM
I tore mine playing basketball in my early 30s. According to my surgeon I was a textbook case.

Same here. Early thirties playing basketball.

Lots of good advise in this thread. It will take a while to feel comfortable doing the same things as before. I was "recovered" after 11 months according to my doc and physiotherapist, but didn't feel stable or comfortable playing basketball for almost another year.

If you can keep the bike, it can be a great tool in recovering cardio without putting weight on your Achilles.

And any "explosiveness" that I had at the time of injury is now just a memory. But I'm also now over 40 and a little bit heavier ;)

It's a tough injury and recovery process, but it won't impact your life much after you get through it. Best of luck.

Dekonick
09-13-2019, 05:14 PM
You can make arrangements to pay for medical expenses. Keep the bike.