PDA

View Full Version : Nice gestures while riding today...

William
09-10-2019, 12:50 PM
People on the trail were paying attention, not buried in their phones, and dogs were on leashes kept short and off the trail as I passed...

The proverbial soccer mom driving a big Chevy Suburban stopped and let me cross where the trail I was on crossed the road. Gave me a wave and a smile...

Big lifted Dodge Ram pick-up truck with chrome stacks and an American flag waving gave me a wide berth on the road and didn't coal roll me while passing. Gave them a nice wave and an arm popped out the divers side window and waved back as he continued up the road...

I didn't spot anyone on their phones while driving and the bike lane was clear on the sections I had to ride them....

All in all a nice ride day. Anyone else have a fun ride with some nice gestures thrown in?

William

tony_mm
09-10-2019, 01:16 PM
I do from time to time....and call it a real nice day! .....as it doesn’t happen so many time unfortunately.

It really depends where you live however....

chiasticon
09-10-2019, 01:19 PM
I'd go play the lotto if I were you

zmudshark
09-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Sounds like you may have died and gone to Heaven.

William
09-10-2019, 01:56 PM
365 days a year: I think nice and/or uneventful rides happen way more than rides with incidents. Don't get me wrong, I have had my share of incidents and close calls, but percentage wise those are much lower. I would just rather talk about the good rides and nice gestures.:)

W.

kmac
09-10-2019, 02:02 PM
it's funny... i sometimes think we're as susceptible to confirmation bias as drivers are about us. a huge majority of the interactions i have with folks on foot, folks in cars, etc, are positive. the one or 2 a week that don't go so well, they definitely stick out, and i feel myself getting into the whole "all X are jerks" kinda thing. but i force myself to think about what a tiny tiny percentage they really account for.

today i had a driver "stuck" behind me for a good half-mile (it was unsafe for them to pass, so i took the lane). they waited patiently, and i gave them a wave as they passed -- and they passed with plenty of room.

i encountered a dog walker with the usual "trip-wire" setup across the path. i slowed down a bit, rang my bell and announced on your left. they were a bit startled (not much i was able to do about that), but they consolidated to one side of the trail and said "good morning". i replied with "enjoy your day".

i really feel like that's how most things go. i at least make a small/polite nod to everyone (whether in a car, on foot, with a dog -- if they're a person, i try to help them remember that i'm one too). the interactions are usually positive. i know it only takes one bad one to land you in the hospital, but i just usually feel like people don't really want to hurt other people.

maybe i'm naive/willfully ignorant, but it just never seems that bad out there to me (and i ride in and out of downtown denver and downtown dc all the time). but i'll go out there and say i had some nice gestures today... and i do everyday.

be safe everyone, and enjoy the ride!

tony_mm
09-10-2019, 02:09 PM
Sounds like you may have died and gone to Heaven.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji23][emoji2957][emoji23]

Idris Icabod
09-10-2019, 03:07 PM
People on the trail were paying attention, not buried in their phones, and dogs were on leashes kept short and off the trail as I passed...

The proverbial soccer mom driving a big Chevy Suburban stopped and let me cross where the trail I was on crossed the road. Gave me a wave and a smile...

Big lifted Dodge Ram pick-up truck with chrome stacks and an American flag waving gave me a wide berth on the road and didn't coal roll me while passing. Gave them a nice wave and an arm popped out the divers side window and waved back as he continued up the road...

I didn't spot anyone on their phones while driving and the bike lane was clear on the sections I had to ride them....

All in all a nice ride day. Anyone else have a fun ride with some nice gestures thrown in?

William

This could be the missing final verse from Ice Cube's 'today was a good day'

XXtwindad
09-10-2019, 03:19 PM
365 days a year: I think nice and/or uneventful rides happen way more than rides with incidents. Don't get me wrong, I have had my share of incidents and close calls, but percentage wise those are much lower. I would just rather talk about the good rides and nice gestures.:)

W.

Yeah. This is a nice change of pace(line).

RFC
09-10-2019, 03:20 PM
This is because you are in Washington State and they are all stoned.;)

zero85ZEN
09-10-2019, 03:22 PM
I've noticed that time of day can have a lot to do with the demeanor of folks you come into contact with while riding...I generally avoid riding during commuting hours during the week (for obvious reasons). However, I find weekday mid-mornings to often be one of the best times to ride in relation to the behaviors I observe in, and the reactions I receive from, motorists.

William
09-10-2019, 03:54 PM
This is because you are in Washington State and they are all stoned.;)

Well, judging from the amount of times I smell pot out there you could be onto something.:)

I've noticed that time of day can have a lot to do with the demeanor of folks you come into contact with while riding...I generally avoid riding during commuting hours during the week (for obvious reasons). However, I find weekday mid-mornings to often be one of the best times to ride in relation to the behaviors I observe in, and the reactions I receive from, motorists.

Probably some truth to this, mid-morning rides during the week are generally pretty good.

it's funny... i sometimes think we're as susceptible to confirmation bias as drivers are about us. a huge majority of the interactions i have with folks on foot, folks in cars, etc, are positive. the one or 2 a week that don't go so well, they definitely stick out, and i feel myself getting into the whole "all X are jerks" kinda thing. but i force myself to think about what a tiny tiny percentage they really account for.

today i had a driver "stuck" behind me for a good half-mile (it was unsafe for them to pass, so i took the lane). they waited patiently, and i gave them a wave as they passed -- and they passed with plenty of room.

i encountered a dog walker with the usual "trip-wire" setup across the path. i slowed down a bit, rang my bell and announced on your left. they were a bit startled (not much i was able to do about that), but they consolidated to one side of the trail and said "good morning". i replied with "enjoy your day".

i really feel like that's how most things go. i at least make a small/polite nod to everyone (whether in a car, on foot, with a dog -- if they're a person, i try to help them remember that i'm one too). the interactions are usually positive. i know it only takes one bad one to land you in the hospital, but i just usually feel like people don't really want to hurt other people.

maybe i'm naive/willfully ignorant, but it just never seems that bad out there to me (and i ride in and out of downtown denver and downtown dc all the time). but i'll go out there and say i had some nice gestures today... and i do everyday.

be safe everyone, and enjoy the ride!

If rides were miserable every time you went out then why would you keep doing it? Most rides are uneventful or good, it just the negative ride incidents that seem to get a lot of focus.

Embrace the positive man (It happens way more often)!!!:banana:

William

Burnette
09-10-2019, 04:10 PM

William

On another cycling board we would do ride reports and post pictures, like people do here. In doing so I found myself leaving out a negative incident or two so as not to ruin the rest of the story about the ride.

It gave me perspective and you're right, in a three hour ride that one bad fifteen second or more encounter didn't outweigh the rest of the ride. And those good moments are what got me excited and back out there.

My wife would worry but I told her 99.9% of the drivers gave me plenty of room and like you, sometimes there would even be positive interactions.

I'm fortunate that my work is doing well and I'm busy but my bike riding mostly comprises of riding on my rollers of late. A fellow cyclist asked me last week if I missed it and I told him I really do. I've had some great rides over the years.

kiwisimon
09-10-2019, 05:13 PM
rides are a metaphor for life. anything can happen but you should enjoy it as much as possible and letting go of the negative is never a bad idea.

BobO
09-10-2019, 05:46 PM

William

...and then you woke up. :p

But seriously, there's much more good than bad in the world and it's far too easy to fixate on the bad. More attention to the positives can help you lead a happier life.

charliedid
09-10-2019, 06:26 PM
Sounds like a ride to me!

Nice

dmurphey
09-10-2019, 07:07 PM
I'd go play the lotto if I were you

The way to change others' minds is with affection, and not anger.
Dalai Lama

mbrtool
09-10-2019, 07:15 PM
I ride the Chicago North Branch Trail six times a week....mostly like William's post...just a nice ride in the woods.

Ray

William
09-10-2019, 07:41 PM
The way to change others' minds is with affection, and not anger.
Dalai Lama

If you always focus on the mud, everything will appear dirty.

I think he said that too didn't he?;)

William

Spaghetti Legs
09-10-2019, 07:45 PM
Earlier this week I had one of those epic multi flat days so spent a lot of time on the side of the road; in this case a gravel road. 2 cars and one (only one to pass by) bike stopped to ask if I was OK. Other cars slowed and gave me wide berth.

Yesterday’s long ride had a few stretches while one or two cars were stuck behind me on a windy road until a safe place to pass. When possible I would try to pull off to make room. We all did a good job, I think, sharing the space. One lady in a beater mini van yelled something as she passed, it probably wasn’t friendly, but I ignored her. That was one of maybe 20 cars that passed me in 54 miles. Outweighed by the 2 or 3 friendly beeps and waves as I got passed.

Today, riding around town on errands, a car went past me as I was in the bike lane, then signaled a right turn. I hesitated, expecting a cutoff, but the driver waited for me to go past. I have a wave and we both pressed on with our day.

So yeah it’s been a good one for me too

William
09-10-2019, 07:51 PM
...So yeah it’s been a good one for me too

:beer:

marciero
09-11-2019, 05:23 AM
Have been opting for the bike ped trail for a good portion of my commute lately. It's nice through woods, etc. The other day a pedestrian actually thanked me for using my bell.