PDA

View Full Version : Surviving no riding due to injury

Slappy
09-10-2019, 09:43 AM
I’m new to the forum since I’m a “keyboard cyclist” for the time being...

I had a little crash during my weekly MTB ride with my son and broke my pinky (it looked like a chicken claw... yuck). Doc has me going for surgery on Friday, and says no outdoor cycling (obviously) but also no trainer or running since sweat will cause problems with the stitches and running will jostle things around. She suggested walking and I’m struggling to get excited to stroll around the block at a leisurely pace versus something that gets the heart pounding.

I’ve been a “fat guy” for a good 70% of my life, and finally got my stuff together about 12 years ago through ruining and cycling, so it’s hitting pretty hard that I’m off the wagon for the next 3-6 weeks. Anyone deal with injury and kept some level of physical health and also stayed mentally “healthy” without frequent doses of a good hard ride?

mktng
09-10-2019, 09:47 AM
set a goal. pick up a new hobby.
not as bad as an injury. but winter really hits hard. thats usually when i stress eat and gain weight.

however. besides picking up other hobbies to keep my mind busy. i set personal goals to maintain healthy eating. no longer will i binge eat what i would normally do when it was peak season for cycling.

FlashUNC
09-10-2019, 09:50 AM
I watched a lot of Netflix.

Enjoy the break. Er....you know what I mean.

Lewis Moon
09-10-2019, 09:52 AM
Having gone through a broken shoulder, broken collar bone, a splenectomy, hip replacement, concussion, navicular surgery and a herniated disc, all while in "training mode" I'll tell you, they are (mostly) just blips. The longest I spent down for any of those was 2 months. As long as you pay attention to diet (just be moderate) and use the time off the bike to develop other good exercise habits, you'll be golden. Life is a long ride, not a sprint.

GregL
09-10-2019, 10:16 AM
Doc has me going for surgery on Friday, and says no outdoor cycling (obviously) but also no trainer or running since sweat will cause problems with the stitches and running will jostle things around. She suggested walking and I’m struggling to get excited to stroll around the block at a leisurely pace versus something that gets the heart pounding.
I've had to deal with two significant orthopedic surgeries and recoveries over the past 13 years. In both cases, I was back on the trainer (with doctor's approval) within 3-7 days and never had any issues with sweat and stitches. Perhaps your doc is a bit conservative, or isn't used to treating athletes? I concur with the walking recommendation. After both of my surgeries, I walked as much as possible (first surgery was to my right knee, so cycling was easier than walking). My poor dog was pretty worn out after the second surgery (rotator cuff rebuild), as our nightly walks had a higher pace!

Greg

chiasticon
09-10-2019, 10:21 AM
sorry to hear about your crash. did something similar on one of my first MTB outings: shouldered a tree, which then threw me into a boulder. it was either land on my face or throw my hand out. did the latter, heard a crack. d'oh! six weeks off the bike. and it was all during the summer.

try to keep busy with another hobby, if possible. I'm guessing you'll be able to run once the surgery is done and healed a bit. don't get depressed and eat/drink a bunch, or eat like you could when you were riding frequently. I actually went low-carb when I was off the bike (and have done this again, for other injuries), because I just didn't need the energy from the carbs. definitely helped.

heal up and welcome!

mtechnica
09-10-2019, 10:26 AM
If it’s just the pinky I say ignore the doctor and ride the trainer anyways. Caveat: advice from the internet is worth what you pay for it.

cash05458
09-10-2019, 10:31 AM
Sorry for the crash...and not to go against medical advice... but you can go for a walk to "get the heart pounding"...but getting on the trainer to do a not overly strenuous workout is a problem? That doesn't seem to make sense logically...seems to me some sorta thing could be used to work to make sure no sweat goes into that pinky wound?

eippo1
09-10-2019, 10:47 AM
I have a dog with lots of energy, so long walks are part of my training. Between my job at the hospital and dog walks, I end up doing about 8-10 miles a day and it does make a huge difference when in deep offseason or recovering from something (abcess currently kept me sidelined for a few weeks).

Obviously, the dog keeps me somewhat entertained, but I also often listen to music or books on tape. You should get an audible subscription and get a few good books to listen to and an hour will fly by. In an hour, you can cover a good bit of distance and expend plenty of calories at a brisk pace. I use bone conduction headphones because my dog is reactive so I want to hear my surroundings.

Surfdog98
09-10-2019, 11:38 AM
I would do light spinning, cool room, and maybe wrap finger, just in case.

cash05458
09-10-2019, 11:41 AM
nice...8 to 10 miles a day with the pup? love it! good stuff...

I have a dog with lots of energy, so long walks are part of my training. Between my job at the hospital and dog walks, I end up doing about 8-10 miles a day and it does make a huge difference when in deep offseason or recovering from something (abcess currently kept me sidelined for a few weeks).

Obviously, the dog keeps me somewhat entertained, but I also often listen to music or books on tape. You should get an audible subscription and get a few good books to listen to and an hour will fly by. In an hour, you can cover a good bit of distance and expend plenty of calories at a brisk pace. I use bone conduction headphones because my dog is reactive so I want to hear my surroundings.

MattTuck
09-10-2019, 11:55 AM
Sounds like you're posting more out of the fear of uncertainty, and it doesn't sound like your doc helped relieve your anxiousness about the situation.

I'm sure you can do some core work and body weight exercises without damaging your pinky. Likewise, exercise and listen to your body and use common sense. Some spinning indoors is probably ok. If you have a good (clean) fan pointed at your hand, and clean bar tape (lysol before and after workouts) and you are changing the bandages frequently, I can't imagine why workout sweat would be worse than routine through the day sweat.

That is to assume you'll be able to put your hands on the bars without pain.

Otherwise, do some walking. You'll be ok.

Just focus on nutrition and rest, which will probably help with recovery as an added benefit.

pdonk
09-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Just getting back on the bike after nearly 3 weeks off due to sickness.

My suggestion is to walk and spend quality time with other people.

Since it is only a pinky, a sweatband at your wrist and trainer/easy road rides is what I would do.

azrider
"surviving" ? little dramatic ehh?

we're probably talking two weeks max for those stitches to seal up.

lighten up a bit..............

John H.
You are thinking correctly in that you need to get out and walk- And by this I mean really walk. As much time as you can possibly devote to walking.
As much as 3-4 hours per day if you have time.
Listen to podcasts- It really helps pass the time when walking. Can also gain some knowledge and introspection.

I have seen injured cyclists go both ways.
1.) Cyclist who could lose a few breaks collarbone- does a lot of walking. Loses 20 lb. by the time he gets back on the bike.
2.) Cyclist breaks ribs and collarbone- Feels sorry for himself and wallows in food and wine for 6 weeks- starts back with an extra 20 lb.

Which one do you want to be?

Also- While injured you can experiment with diet in ways that are not practical while riding a lot. This is because walking is quite low intensity.
You can try low carb/keto if interested and/or narrower feeding windows like 16-8 or 18-6.

Ken Robb
09-10-2019, 12:01 PM
I would take your doc's advice and hike the trails you enjoy on your bike. You can check back with the surgeon frequently to see if she might reduce the recommended time off the bike. It's possible her original recommendation had to be very conservative in case your recovery was sub-optimal but she might feel confidant about your rate of recovery after post-op check-ups if she understands how keen you are to become more active.

kmac
09-10-2019, 12:07 PM
i think i understand the situation you're in. i also was a pretty heavy guy for most of my younger life (birth to about 23 years old, topping out at 270 lbs). i finally got my act together and managed to drop down to about 170, predominantly due to biking.

when life would get in the way (extended holiday absences, injuries, etc). it would cause pretty extreme anxiety in me. what if i started regaining the weight? what if when i got back on my bike, i didn't love it anymore? i'd like to say that these kinds of "panic events" happened just those first couple years, but i'd say they literally took the first 15 years into my transformation to calm.

the kind of "mental fatness" you may be suffering from can be really challenging. the best advice i can give you -- given how long you've been on the "right path" -- is to not panic. i've found over these past 23 years now that maybe i do put on a little weight sometimes -- but it comes back off. i get a little burned out on the bike -- but i maybe change my routine, and find the love again.

it takes a long time to see yourself in a different/new way. find ways to take pride in all the progress you've already made. these changes are REALLY hard, and most people don't make it. it sounds like you have, so the same inner strength that got you there will get you through this.

Blue Jays
09-10-2019, 12:07 PM
Walking is terrific exercise. It is good to give the bicycle a nice rest.
How often does one see obese mail carriers that walk their whole route?
You will be fine with walking as your primary workout for a few weeks.

cash05458
09-10-2019, 12:19 PM
Back when I was younger broke my wrist and got a cast...doctor told me no riding...I rode anyhow with a cast...just propped up the arm on the old bar and rode with one hand...did fine! It's a pinky my man...:p

madsciencenow
09-10-2019, 12:28 PM
Lots of good advice already and when I've been injured and could not run or bike I would swim. However, I guess this is not an option here? I would either take a break or walk.

avalonracing
09-10-2019, 01:05 PM
spend quality time with other people.

+1 on that.

rzthomas
09-10-2019, 03:23 PM
Walk a lot and at a 15-16 minute/mile pace and you won't really lose fitness. And besides, over two weeks off the bike, you won't lose much fitness to begin with, even if you didn't walk.

Slappy
09-10-2019, 04:11 PM
Good advice here, thanks. I think part of my sadness at being off the bike is we’re just heading into prime season in the south (I live in SC) where it will finally be getting below 5 billion degrees and 300% humidity, and my 9 year-old was really jamming on his bike when we were out riding. One of my thoughts before I went down was “We’re going to have an awesome fall riding together”... he’s my oldest, so this a big part of the whole “cycling family” dream coming to life but hopefully plenty of years of that left.

In the grand scheme I agree I need to suck it up, go easy on the sauce, and lace up my boots (the ones made for walking of course).