PDA

View Full Version : OT : anyone here switched to Linux OS from Windows or Apple?

velotel
09-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Gotten fed up with Microsoft intrusiveness with their new system, and apparently Apple isn't much better. I was going to go Apple since I like my Macbook I've had since 08 but maybe I'll go Linux. What did you install and how did it go? Thanks

stephenmarklay
09-09-2019, 01:14 PM
I used to use it a lot for work. I mostly used it for Unix style command line interfaces for manipulating a lot of data to include coding scripts etc.

In that environment I really liked it. Now I just use a MacBook as well.

MattTuck
09-09-2019, 01:19 PM
Not a user. but I recently came across this company, pur.ism that makes computers and phones that are highly secure. It uses a special distribution of linux, as I understand it.

papa bless
09-09-2019, 01:21 PM
I got fed up with Windows about 2 years ago, switched to Linux, and haven't looked back. Currently I'm running elementary OS and it's wonderful. It's easy to install and intuitive once you start using it. I use my laptop mainly for Spotify in the house, web, email, movies, etc, and I've installed Darktable for photo editing. I've never been held back by Linux, and if you're curious I highly recommend trying it out.

ryker
09-09-2019, 01:22 PM
I switched to Mac with my 2014 Macbook Pro. Waiting for it to die and then switching back to Linux.

fmradio516
09-09-2019, 01:35 PM
IMO you can get the best bang for your buck if you go Linux.

Its pretty much a Mac for the price of a PC. You just need to be somewhat savvy to get certain things to work, but you'd get used to it.

palincss
09-09-2019, 01:44 PM
I've been using Linux at home since the 1990s. My laptop is running the latest Ubuntu LTS and my desktop is running Mint. The laptop is new, purchased from Dell with Linux installed.

I haven't had Windows in the house in 7 or 8 years, and that was a dual boot I only ever used to download audio books from the Library.

I do a lot of photo editing with GIMP, which is native to Linux. Browsers, of course, you'll notice no difference regardless of what OS. For the little I use them, Libre Office spreadsheet and writer provide all the functionality I need and can read and write MS Office-compatible files. I create many cue sheets from RWGPS and use a Perl script to do the heavy manipulation, and Perl is native to Linux as well.

Literally the only thing I don't have that I could possibly want is the ability to download audio books from the Library -- and it's definitely not worth it to me to run a Windows environment just for that.

pasadena
09-09-2019, 01:51 PM
Can someone provide links or info on how to setup a Linux system?

I'm done with Mac and was thinking of getting a Razer Blade PC but if there is an option with Linux, I would love to hear more.
Will this allow me to run my mac software, for example.

MikeD
09-09-2019, 01:55 PM
I've tried using Linux over many years. Can't get around the inferiority of the apps and good luck getting peripherals like a printer and scanner to work. Lack of drivers is a major limitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ScottW
09-09-2019, 02:13 PM
Dabbled in Linux a bit over the past 15-20 years (not so much lately though) and Ubuntu is a pretty good distribution for first-timers. There is a small learning curve but not too bad if you are minimally computer literate, and there's a large user base with an active forum should you run into issues.

unterhausen
09-09-2019, 02:43 PM
I used to use linux on my desktop and never had any trouble with drivers. The apps are adequate. I only switched back to windows because of a couple of apps for work, but otherwise I would still be using it. I have a computer in the basement that is getting linux any day now.

I always used ubuntu. They have the most online support for non-technical people. I used linux since fairly early days, but I don't want to have to figure out how to fix things, i just want them fixed.

Rada
09-09-2019, 03:08 PM
I switched from Windows about fifteen years ago. First with Ubuntu, but have been a long time user of Mint on my home computer and Kali on my lap top. No way I'd go back to Windows or Apple.

papa bless
09-09-2019, 03:53 PM
Can someone provide links or info on how to setup a Linux system?

I'm done with Mac and was thinking of getting a Razer Blade PC but if there is an option with Linux, I would love to hear more.
Will this allow me to run my mac software, for example.

After a few evenings of research you could be testing out a Linux distribution confidently. My suggestion is to first create a bootable USB drive with a Debian based distribution, like Ubuntu or Mint. Essentially, you install Linux on a USB drive, and then boot from the USB drive and test out Linux without even installing anything. If you like it, Ubuntu gives you the option to install straight from the desktop with their recommended settings, which will wipe your harddrive (if you wish) or allow you to dual boot.

From here, it's a matter of learning the new OS. The file system is different, some of the navigation is different, and installing new programs is different. But soon you get the hang of it and start to appreciate how much the OS stays out of your way. The best way to try it out is to just dive in.

A lot of Mac software has a Linux counterpart that's free. It may not be as robust as the Mac specific software, but I've never felt like it has limited me. But to answer your question, no you can't install Mac software on a Linux machine.

pasadena
09-09-2019, 04:07 PM
thanks for the quick synopsis
I guess my advantage is that no matter what I move to, Windows or Linux, it's all new for me.
I wish I could stay with Mac but their hardware is just stupid now, and there really is no "pro" grade laptop anymore.

After a few evenings of research you could be testing out a Linux distribution confidently. My suggestion is to first create a bootable USB drive with a Debian based distribution, like Ubuntu or Mint. Essentially, you install Linux on a USB drive, and then boot from the USB drive and test out Linux without even installing anything. If you like it, Ubuntu gives you the option to install straight from the desktop with their recommended settings, which will wipe your harddrive (if you wish) or allow you to dual boot.

From here, it's a matter of learning the new OS. The file system is different, some of the navigation is different, and installing new programs is different. But soon you get the hang of it and start to appreciate how much the OS stays out of your way. The best way to try it out is to just dive in.

A lot of Mac software has a Linux counterpart that's free. It may not be as robust as the Mac specific software, but I've never felt like it has limited me. But to answer your question, no you can't install Mac software on a Linux machine.

Ken Robb
09-09-2019, 05:06 PM
How should one pronounce "Linux"?

CunegoFan
09-09-2019, 05:17 PM
https://img1.looper.com/img/gallery/what-the-cast-of-revenge-of-the-nerds-looks-like-today/intro-1507658461.jpg

Spoker
09-09-2019, 06:56 PM
Put Linux on the laptop when windows failed me and I could not download a windows back.
I'm amazed what Mint brings. I use torrents and VLC for bike stuff. Worked out of the box. Stable and very little spam and other stuff.
Refreshing.

Gummee
09-09-2019, 08:25 PM
IMO you can get the best bang for your buck if you go Linux.

Its pretty much a Mac for the price of a PC. You just need to be somewhat savvy to get certain things to work, but you'd get used to it.

I haven't gotten quite that far with my formerly Linux, now Ubuntu laptop.

Overall, it works like a windows machine except when you get to certain web pages or trying to install programs.

M

papa bless
09-09-2019, 09:23 PM
Honestly, Macbook trackpads are the best ones out there, and their displays are pretty good too. You could drop a little money and upgrade the memory in your current Mac, upgrade to a SSD, and install Linux and you'll be shocked at how fast and capable your Mac just became.

thanks for the quick synopsis
I guess my advantage is that no matter what I move to, Windows or Linux, it's all new for me.
I wish I could stay with Mac but their hardware is just stupid now, and there really is no "pro" grade laptop anymore.

hummus_aquinas
09-09-2019, 10:54 PM
I just want to chime in that I'm posting from Mint running off a 2GB usb drive! This old Lenovo x61 running Windows 7 started to slow down on me pretty bad and reading this thread inspired me to get cracking on it!
I've got a little bit of experience running early versions of Red Hat, eventually up to Ubuntu but after getting a Macbook in 2008ish I haven't touched Linux since.

I thought there were going to be compatibility issues with little thinkpad stuff like the red nub or this corny little LED keyboard light but it all works even the little hardware "volume up and down" buttons. I'm seriously considering switching over, but since I bought this laptop used I don't have a way to put Windows 7 back on it (no disc drive, don't know how to install an image without it).

This Thinkpad isn't a main computer and I can't think of any Windows-specific functions I need out of it; I bought it years ago, already out-dated to learn Python on. I think I am going for it and moving forward with it- given that the hardware is so outdated using a stripped down GUI like XFCE would really help in usability. No bloat!

I'm excited to see what it's like nowadays. I definitely remember feeling like some sort of hackerman back in the day for getting a gen two ipod to work with Amorak :cool:

paredown
09-10-2019, 06:33 AM
I positively hate Windows 10, and I am not a big fan of OS X (although I'm a few generations out). I probably would have switched last rebuild, but I got a release of Win 10 for free. (to be fair, it is stable--but I loathe the interface, especially the extra 'app'/screen that ensures it will take three clicks instead of one to get to where I want to go...)

They have announced the end of Windows 7--and they may not be willing to drag it out as they did for XP--and that is probably the end of Windows for me--I have threatened for years to go Linux, and my bluff has been called...

My biggest complaint (based on playing with a few distros including Ubuntu) is that there is no controlling intelligence in that world--complain as we might, Gates (& successors) had a vision, Wozniak/Jobs had a vision. We may not agree with it, but it essentially meant the install process was 'stick the disk in and let it rip'--while in the Linux world you may have 11 choices for desktop, or 33 choices for a simple calculator app, and unless you (a) wrote one of them, or (b) grew up with Linux--you can drown in a sea of choices.

The one load distros like Ubuntu were pretty good--but you can still lose a lot of time just weighing decisions--as people say, I don't want to build the house, I just want to live in it..

palincss
09-10-2019, 06:53 AM
I've tried using Linux over many years. Can't get around the inferiority of the apps and good luck getting peripherals like a printer and scanner to work. Lack of drivers is a major limitation.

I just ran my printer and am running my scanner even as I write. Not a problem from where I sit.

As for app inferiority: I haven't seen it. On the other hand, I don't use but maybe 5% of the capability of an office suite -- just like most people -- and if Libre Office falls short of MS Office, it must be in areas I don't use. Browsers - no difference. Email reader - no difference. I like GIMP, learned on it and have no Photoshop experience to compare.

palincss
09-10-2019, 06:56 AM

Lin rhymes with pin
ux sounds like tux

MikeD
09-10-2019, 09:46 AM
I just ran my printer and am running my scanner even as I write. Not a problem from where I sit.

As for app inferiority: I haven't seen it. On the other hand, I don't use but maybe 5% of the capability of an office suite -- just like most people -- and if Libre Office falls short of MS Office, it must be in areas I don't use. Browsers - no difference. Email reader - no difference. I like GIMP, learned on it and have no Photoshop experience to compare.

I have a Canon printer/scanner. Could not get it to work with Linux. Have a 5 button mouse. Could not get all buttons to work. Have a Logitech multimedia keyboard. Only basic keyboard functions work. I have an Nvidia graphics card. The open source driver works but is slow. Everytime the OS updated, I lost my Nvidia proprietary driver and had to reinstall. While Libre Office strives for compatibility with Microsoft Office, you will run into compatibility problems if you use or work with other people that use MS office. Can your Garmin sync with Linux? Linux lacks an easy to use database program like Filemaker Pro. As I remember, dealing with Java updates and Adobe Flash was always a pain.

I guess if your standards are low or you are a basic user that only does web browsing, email, and other rudimentary things with your computer, and are lucky if your printer works (most won't), Linux is OK, as it probably is for power users. As for me, I've got better things to do with my time than troubleshooting Linux trying to get everything to work. In fact, I don't use my desktop much anymore, as my iPad is a lot more convenient, and my printer works with it.

YesNdeed
09-10-2019, 10:16 AM
I used Ubuntu on my old desktop around 08-13, but now I just use my MacBook Pro and I like it just fine. When it dies, I'll probably get a laptop and go back to Linux of some kind.

I'm not too adept at writing commands, so when it went haywire I'd have a bit of trouble and usually have to hit up my open source programmer friend and he'd tell me what to do. Next time around I'd like to spend more time understanding how to deal with it, or maybe there's a better Linux OS for me now. The first thing I did was install Netflix and watched all of Breaking Bad when I got my MacBook. I was unable to use it with Ubuntu at the time, maybe that's now possible.

Looks like Ubuntu is on their 19th edition now. I'll be keeping track of OS recommendations on this thread for my own reference.

wallymann
09-10-2019, 10:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IfHm6R5le0

pasadena
09-10-2019, 11:07 AM
Honestly, Macbook trackpads are the best ones out there, and their displays are pretty good too. You could drop a little money and upgrade the memory in your current Mac, upgrade to a SSD, and install Linux and you'll be shocked at how fast and capable your Mac just became.

You can't upgrade anything. They solder everything in and have started glueing in the batteries. the only reason is so you can't upgrade or get more life out of it.
no usb ports, no sd card reader, no hdmi ports

I didn't know about running linux on mac, maybe i'll try that since i have a few macs laying around.

Bostic
09-10-2019, 02:55 PM
I have a Canon printer/scanner. Could not get it to work with Linux. Have a 5 button mouse. Could not get all buttons to work. Have a Logitech multimedia keyboard. Only basic keyboard functions work. I have an Nvidia graphics card. The open source driver works but is slow. Everytime the OS updated, I lost my Nvidia proprietary driver and had to reinstall. While Libre Office strives for compatibility with Microsoft Office, you will run into compatibility problems if you use or work with other people that use MS office. Can your Garmin sync with Linux? Linux lacks an easy to use database program like Filemaker Pro. As I remember, dealing with Java updates and Adobe Flash was always a pain.

I guess if your standards are low or you are a basic user that only does web browsing, email, and other rudimentary things with your computer, and are lucky if your printer works (most won't), Linux is OK, as it probably is for power users. As for me, I've got better things to do with my time than troubleshooting Linux trying to get everything to work. In fact, I don't use my desktop much anymore, as my iPad is a lot more convenient, and my printer works with it.

This is a good representation of the frustrations that come up with Linux. Drivers that we take for granted under Windows (and usually Mac) don't exist under Linux. Some functionality will be present but then it's up to you to hunt and peck or reverse-engineer to get the rest. It's like wrenching on a bike or washing your car. What is your time worth? Do you want that middle scroll button to work on the mouse or are you happy with the very basic mouse preferences under the system preferences?

Some Dell laptops have Ubuntu spec'd out with drivers they will support. However you still run the good chance of being that person in the conference room with the fans blowing at 6500 rpm on your laptop during a call.

The current MacBook Pro laptops with the now 4th generation butterfly keyboards are great machines, if you don't have to buy them

ftf
09-10-2019, 02:59 PM
I dual booted windows 10 and Elementary OS for a couple of years, and the OS is good, however the lack of Microsoft Office, and other software packages that I need made it so I just just windows now.

palincss
09-10-2019, 03:50 PM

I get that it doesn't work for you, and that's fine. Nobody's saying you have to use it. I think you're wrong about most printers not working with Linux. Never heard of a 5 button mouse. As for "basic user" and "rudimentary things" unless you're deliberately trying to come off as condescending and irritating, perhaps you might want to brush up on your diplomatic skills. After all, what's more "rudimentary" than an iPad?

ftf
09-10-2019, 03:56 PM
I get that it doesn't work for you, and that's fine. Nobody's saying you have to use it. I think you're wrong about most printers not working with Linux. Never heard of a 5 button mouse. As for "basic user" and "rudimentary things" unless you're deliberately trying to come off as condescending and irritating, perhaps you might want to brush up on your diplomatic skills. After all, what's more "rudimentary" than an iPad?

He did say it was good for "power users" as well......

MikeD
09-10-2019, 04:09 PM
You can't upgrade anything. They solder everything in and have started glueing in the batteries. the only reason is so you can't upgrade or get more life out of it.

no usb ports, no sd card reader, no hdmi ports

I didn't know about running linux on mac, maybe i'll try that since i have a few macs laying around.

That's not quite right. Just looked at the latest tech specs for the MacBook Pro. It has a USB-3 port. Adapter cables are available for the other USB-C ports. I'd be very surprised if one couldnʼt change the memory, hard drive, or battery too. That said, I'm not a fan of taking away ports, DVD writer, headphone jacks, user replaceable battery, etc. (thinking cell phones and tablets too). I wish Mac laptops had a touch screen as well.

pasadena
09-10-2019, 04:26 PM
apple did away with usb ports
I have the last gen w/ usb, sd reader and hdmi

now it's 'thunderbolt' which is usb-c
no memory upgrade, no hd upgrade and no battery replacement

That's not quite right. Just looked at the latest tech specs for the MacBook Pro. It has a USB-3 port. Adapter cables are available for the other USB-C ports. I'd be very surprised if one couldnʼt change the memory, hard drive, or battery too. That said, I'm not a fan of taking away ports, DVD writer, headphone jacks, user replaceable battery, etc. (thinking cell phones and tablets too). I wish Mac laptops had a touch screen as well.

MikeD
09-10-2019, 06:08 PM
apple did away with usb ports

I have the last gen w/ usb, sd reader and hdmi

now it's 'thunderbolt' which is usb-c

no memory upgrade, no hd upgrade and no battery replacement

Wow, you're right! That's disappointing.

Dekonick
09-10-2019, 11:41 PM
Install one of the easy linux installs on a thumb drive and give it a test.

Here: https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0

sonicCows
09-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Newer Windows 10 systems can natively support a Linux VM now. Look up the Linux Subsystem for Windows. Great if you need a good CLI.

Rada
09-11-2019, 01:24 AM
This is a good representation of the frustrations that come up with Linux. Drivers that we take for granted under Windows (and usually Mac) don't exist under Linux. Some functionality will be present but then it's up to you to hunt and peck or reverse-engineer to get the rest. It's like wrenching on a bike or washing your car. What is your time worth? Do you want that middle scroll button to work on the mouse or are you happy with the very basic mouse preferences under the system preferences?

This was the norm at one time, but with some of the newer user friendly Linux distros like Mint, Ubuntu, and Manjaro to name a few, I just don't find this to be true. As for MS Office, browser-based versions don't care what OS you are using.

martl
09-11-2019, 04:01 AM
Gotten fed up with Microsoft intrusiveness with their new system, and apparently Apple isn't much better. I was going to go Apple since I like my Macbook I've had since 08 but maybe I'll go Linux. What did you install and how did it go? Thanks

I love Linux to bits (doing Unix since '92 or so..) but its not for everyone. People who want their computers to just work are better served with Windows or a Mac.

Running Linux as a desktop OS still today requires the willingness to do some research *before* buying the hardware, and the willingness to do your own research for running issues and no fear of a (possibly very cryptic) commandline input.

Driver support is still an issue sadly. You may not get all the computer can do out of a Linux installation - power saving modes, dock in/out-behavior, multible monitor support, graphics acceleration etc.

Continues with Applications for bike GPS systems or indoor trainers. Some do support Linux, some won't.

velotel
09-11-2019, 08:10 AM
I don't want to build the house, I just want to live in it..
People who want their computers to just work are better served with Windows or a Mac.
Thanks all for the info and opinions, which of course pretty well cover the waterfront, kind of as expected. I was hoping Linux was easier than is apparently the case. Like the two quotes above, at this point in life I don't want to learn how to make it work, I just want to use it. My uses are crazy simple, writing, sometimes spreadsheets, designing with sketchup, photography, and the net. Never play games, no training programs hooked up with a bike trainer I don't have, just writing and stuff. Friggin pain in the butt that these people have to be so greedy and screw things up just so they can capture more money at the cost of everyone who uses their systems. Apparently buying the systems isn't enough for their egos. Really a drag on the mental peace of the world in my opinion.

oldpotatoe
09-11-2019, 09:03 AM

oh wait a minute...:)

unterhausen
09-11-2019, 09:04 AM
my ubuntu desktop just worked. Previous versions did take a little work occasionally. I'm not sure what distro/version people that say differently are running. I was thinking about switching my wife's computer over to linux for security reasons, but then she bought a chromebook. That would have been a real test.

As people have said, get a thumb drive, put ubuntu on it and check for yourself. I'm pretty sure that you'll find that everything works. You don't have to install it, you can run it from the thumb drive.

MikeD
09-11-2019, 09:16 AM
Thanks all for the info and opinions, which of course pretty well cover the waterfront, kind of as expected. I was hoping Linux was easier than is apparently the case. Like the two quotes above, at this point in life I don't want to learn how to make it work, I just want to use it. My uses are crazy simple, writing, sometimes spreadsheets, designing with sketchup, photography, and the net. Never play games, no training programs hooked up with a bike trainer I don't have, just writing and stuff. Friggin pain in the butt that these people have to be so greedy and screw things up just so they can capture more money at the cost of everyone who uses their systems. Apparently buying the systems isn't enough for their egos. Really a drag on the mental peace of the world in my opinion.

I'm not sure I agree. During a walk through Fry's, Best Buy, and Costco recently, I was struck at how cheap computer systems are today. TVs amazingly so. Compare that to the price of bicycles.

redir
09-11-2019, 09:19 AM
What problems with Windows are you having? I rather like Win10 but then that was coming from Vista too.

At work I use Linux on various servers, mostly for web servers, but a few other things too. I also have a home theatre PC that runs a version of Ubuntu. Been using Debian mostly ever since it came out.

But Linux can be a real PIA for a lot of home use applications as someone mentioned earlier you can have problems trying to get certain hardware to run on it smoothly. And if you like to play games then Windows is the way to go. Wine is terrible on Linux.

Personally I like Windows for home use and Linux for the workhorse that it is.

If all you want to do is surf the internet then Ubuntu is a reasonably good option. It's come a long way for sure and in fact Win10 from what I understand will soon ship with a Linux Kernel to optimize file storage performance... Imagine that!

Rada
09-11-2019, 10:00 AM
I agree that if your a gamer then Linux is not the way to go. If you are just an occasional gamer such as myself, Steam is doing a nice job and continues to improve and add titles. Personally I have no issues running Plex, Netflix, Hulu, MS Office, etc. I built my computer about six years ago using nicely speced components and it still hums along nicely. If the need be, I am confident it will still be performing well on Linux six years from now. I'm sure I would not be so confident if I was to buy a new MS or iOS computer today.

redir
09-11-2019, 10:17 AM
Lin rhymes with pin
ux sounds like tux

Linus Torvalds pronounced it "Lee - Nooks."

palincss
09-11-2019, 11:55 AM
Yes, but he's not an American speaking English in the US. How do you pronounce "derailleur"? Probably not the same way a Frenchman in France would.

tony_mm
09-11-2019, 12:28 PM
Is there a Linux for tablet instead of Android?

sonicCows
09-11-2019, 12:35 PM

Have you considered a Chromebook? It's Linux-based but a more closed environment so there's less hacking for hardware support. Google should have taken care of most of that for you.