PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running tubulars for all-road/mixed terrain?

RobJ
09-08-2019, 09:05 PM
With a lot of the companies rolling out their CX tubulars and more wider, gravelish type ones this seems to be more realistic. Plus you still have the low pressure riding ability and the prices on the tubular wheels are in many cases lower than their tubeless counterparts. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andy sti
09-08-2019, 09:48 PM
Waiting to see what the new Challenge gravel tubulars look like.

djg21
09-08-2019, 10:09 PM
I’d have to ask why? IMO, Tubeless makes much more sense for gravel riding. I’ve had tubeless on my MTB for 12 years, and on my road bike for the past season. I’ve never flatted on either, and its much easier to carry a couple spare tubes and tire boots should the sealant not work, than it is to carry multiple tubulars.

john903
09-08-2019, 10:32 PM
Sure, I do. As to why run tubulars off road I guess it is just a matter of that is all I have right now. I do have a clinchers on my fixed gear but I am looking to fix that this winter. I don't ride any crazy nasty ugly rough gravel, but we do have some good forest service roads and logging roads. I run Veloflex 25 or Schwalbe one 30 and they are just fine. Someday I may go ahead and try some fat tubless wheel and tire combo they obviously do have some advantages for the rougher gravel.

Gummee
09-09-2019, 07:51 AM
I’d have to ask why? IMO, Tubeless makes much more sense for gravel riding. I’ve had tubeless on my MTB for 12 years, and on my road bike for the past season. I’ve never flatted on either, and its much easier to carry a couple spare tubes and tire boots should the sealant not work, than it is to carry multiple tubulars.

Actually, it doesn't. Tubulars still ride better than the best tubeless tires.

I flat so infrequently on my tubular gravel wheels that it's a non-event. I started riding tubulars because I got so many flats riding with tubes.

Yeah, tubeless is a somewhat close second, but oh my! the ride of the tubular...

M

edited to add: I did my first 3-4 Hilly Billy Roubaix-es on tubulars. Zero flats.

p nut
09-09-2019, 08:10 AM
Actually, it doesn't. Tubulars still ride better than the best tubeless tires.

I flat so infrequently on my tubular gravel wheels that it's a non-event. I started riding tubulars because I got so many flats riding with tubes.

Yeah, tubeless is a somewhat close second, but oh my! the ride of the tubular...

M

edited to add: I did my first 3-4 Hilly Billy Roubaix-es on tubulars. Zero flats.

Do you carry spare tire(s) during races? If not, bottle of Stans?

Imaking20
09-11-2019, 12:02 AM
My gravel setup is tubular. I'm experimenting with tubeless again (after a pretty terrible experience with them a few years back) on the road but they've got to earn my confidence. That's not an issue for me rolling tubulars and carrying a bottle of Orange Seal.

kohagen
09-11-2019, 06:33 AM
My gravel setup is tubular. I'm experimenting with tubeless again (after a pretty terrible experience with them a few years back) on the road but they've got to earn my confidence. That's not an issue for me rolling tubulars and carrying a bottle of Orange Seal.

What tubulars do you use for gravel? I'm thinking of going that route. Any issues with sidewall slashes?

Lionel
09-11-2019, 06:58 AM
I would not mind going tubular on the gravel. I run it with tubes and 38mm compass right now as I found tubeless a PIA.

Gummee
09-11-2019, 07:44 AM
Do you carry spare tire(s) during races? If not, bottle of Stans?

yes to both. I have a seat bag that's set up specifically for tubulars and tubeless with the valve core remover, bottle of sealant, etc

Actually lost my spare at one HBR at about the 1/3rd mark. Noticed it well after I'd left that section of 'road.'

M

redir
09-11-2019, 07:59 AM
I like tufo tubulars for such terrain. They are different then standard tubulars. They are sort of like tubeless tubulars if ya know what I mean. If ya don't then in short the tube is in there but it's sort of glued to the inside of the tire. You can put Stans in them and it works really well for punctures. Tufo's are the tuffest tubular tires out there imho but you don't have the plush ride of an FMB. But it's a good trade off for sharp and jagged gravel.

Lionel
09-11-2019, 08:47 AM
I like tufo tubulars for such terrain. They are different then standard tubulars. They are sort of like tubeless tubulars if ya know what I mean. If ya don't then in short the tube is in there but it's sort of glued to the inside of the tire. You can put Stans in them and it works really well for punctures. Tufo's are the tuffest tubular tires out there imho but you don't have the plush ride of an FMB. But it's a good trade off for sharp and jagged gravel.

Yeah, if the tubular option for Gravel is Tufo then I am out. Not riding on garden hoses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redir
09-11-2019, 08:57 AM
Yeah, if the tubular option for Gravel is Tufo then I am out. Not riding on garden hoses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahahaah! They aren't that bad but that's funny LOL

merckx
09-11-2019, 09:05 AM
Are Donnelly cross tubs made by Tufo? IIRC, they are also sans tubes.

Andy sti
09-11-2019, 11:54 AM
Yep, Donnelly tires are (or at least used to be) made by tufo. They are very popular for cross in the US and I’ve had great luck with them.

The new Challenge Gravel tubulars announces at Eurobike are the same style - tubeless tubular. Not sure if Tufo is involved with those.

Clean39T
09-11-2019, 12:49 PM
If anyone wants to try a pair of 33c Challenge Limus 300tpi cross tubbies, I have a pair in decent used condition I need to get rid of...

redir
09-11-2019, 03:25 PM
^PM sent