PDA

View Full Version : A good read on budget carbon wheelsets

cuda
09-08-2019, 06:16 AM
I came across this blogger while obsessing over wheelsets for my new 3T
In The Know Cycling
What cycling gear to get next and where to get it

https://intheknowcycling.com/2019/03/31/best-carbon-wheelset-for-the-money/

The reviews are very thorough and the writing is top tear. I havent begun to look through the site beyond my initial read but I expect more of the same in depth and for the most part unopinionated reviews.

What is more the author actively participates in the comments section.

Anyhow, I may be late to the party on this resource but I consider it well worth checking out if you havent done so already.

oldpotatoe
09-08-2019, 06:32 AM
I came across this blogger while obsessing over wheelsets for my new 3T
In The Know Cycling
What cycling gear to get next and where to get it

https://intheknowcycling.com/2019/03/31/best-carbon-wheelset-for-the-money/

The reviews are very thorough and the writing is top tear. I havent begun to look through the site beyond my initial read but I expect more of the same in depth and for the most part unopinionated reviews.

What is more the author actively participates in the comments section.

Anyhow, I may be late to the party on this resource but I consider it well worth checking out if you havent done so already.

Link isn't working..for me(?)..

cuda
09-08-2019, 06:47 AM
just tried it too. same - sorry. The whole site seems to be unresponsive.
maybe down for updating? Hopefully back up soon. the article was from last July.

cuda
09-08-2019, 08:10 AM
the site is back online

Clancy
09-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Link is working now. In depth article that looks well thought out and detailed. I’ll check it out more in depth when I have more time.

Thanks for the link

Malinois
09-08-2019, 09:43 AM
Nice article, thanks for sharing.

I haven’t had my ear to the ground regarding businesses going up for sale but I’m a little surprised that Williams Cycling is effectively shutting the doors. I’ve always held the wheels in high regard and had positive experiences with Keith Williams. I hope he does well moving forward.

dem
09-08-2019, 12:24 PM
Looks like a lot of words for a lot of subjective opinion.

Certainly the reviews of actually wheels are pure nonsense, given the wildly different depths, disc vs. rim brake, etc.

The whole section on "stiffness" seems like nonsense too, and a whole new definition of the word "quality."

Still comes down to "you spend your money you take your chances" - or more specifically for carbon hoops: buy disc, buy as wide as you can fit, buy as tall as you can tolerate for cross winds, avoid proprietary components and you're pretty much going to be fine.

Or buy super high $$$ name brand that will back them up.

GregL
09-08-2019, 01:46 PM
Looks like a lot of words for a lot of subjective opinion.

Certainly the reviews of actually wheels are pure nonsense, given the wildly different depths, disc vs. rim brake, etc.

The whole section on "stiffness" seems like nonsense too, and a whole new definition of the word "quality."

Still comes down to "you spend your money you take your chances" - or more specifically for carbon hoops: buy disc, buy as wide as you can fit, buy as tall as you can tolerate for cross winds, avoid proprietary components and you're pretty much going to be fine.

Or buy super high $$$ name brand that will back them up.
Good summary. Both parts 1 and 2 of the linked article are nothing but opinion pieces. Part 1 reads like a freshman year business text. Part 2 is nothing but opinion. Without objective data, I found them nearly useless. If I’m going to spend any money on a carbon wheelset, I want data-driven analysis showing my choice of wheels will help me go faster. Otherwise, I’m sticking with my reliable, light, hand-built aluminum wheels.

Greg

Spoker
09-08-2019, 02:02 PM
Here's an objective: been thrashing my cheap Chinese MTB rims for 2 years without even truing the wheels once. Thrashing that is...

tbike4
09-08-2019, 02:17 PM
That is a LOT of words and I think I will skip them. I have some REALLY cheap Chinese 50mm carbon wheels. 1 year on them, so far so good and I guess I need to find a riding buddy with some $1500 wheels to compare.

rides2slow
09-08-2019, 11:48 PM
Here's an objective: been thrashing my cheap Chinese MTB rims for 2 years without even truing the wheels once. Thrashing that is...

👍

fogrider
09-09-2019, 12:17 AM
I've been riding Reyonlds tubulars and have a Prime wheelset on my gravel bike. First I want to say that Reyonlds builds great lightweight wheels and it's really hard to beat the ride of lightweight tubulars! But the Prime wheels have been solid and I've been riding them for 2 years. They came with spare spokes, taped for tubeless, tubeless valves, and adapters for thru axles and quick releases.