PDA

View Full Version : OT: Washing your car

Elefantino
09-07-2019, 02:49 PM
There is a great deal of serenity and satisfaction in squeezing soap into a bucket, filling it with water, dumping in a sponge and washing a car.

Careful drying is fulfilling, too. And it's always fun to see the water bead and roll off, letting you know your wax is still at work.

Always an hour well spent.

:)

dgauthier
09-07-2019, 03:07 PM
There is a great deal of serenity and satisfaction in squeezing soap into a bucket, filling it with water, dumping in a sponge and washing a car.

Careful drying is fulfilling, too. And it's always fun to see the water bead and roll off, letting you know your wax is still at work.

Always an hour well spent.

:)

Pfah! An hour! Luxury... ;)

It always takes me 5 hours to wash a car properly. One should always wash in the shade, so I start at 10 pm and finish at 3 am. I used to use only the softest cotton diapers, but now that our daughter is grown I use recycled high quality terrycloth bath towels. To ensure I don't drag grit over the finish, I constantly change the water, soap, and cloths with each section: roof and windows, hood and trunk, left side top half and front grill, right side top half and rear, sides bottom half, wheels, then finally tires and wheel wells. Dry while wiping the interior with the damp towels, and then all the exterior top surfaces get a gentle polish to remove those little bumps that stick to the finish.

Car looks great. It's less serene, though...

Plum Hill
09-07-2019, 03:12 PM
I park it outside when it rains.

Likes2ridefar
09-07-2019, 03:13 PM
I’ll stick with the 5 dollar drive thru :)

enr1co
09-07-2019, 03:14 PM
Have it down to less than an hour and nearly touchless for a black car with help from my pressure washer, foam cannon and leaf blower for drying :)

After blow drying, use Griots Garage quick detail spray and super thick micro fiber cloths for a quick shine.

mtechnica
09-07-2019, 03:18 PM
PSA: look up a product called ONR it’s a game changer.

pjm
09-07-2019, 03:25 PM
PSA: look up a product called ONR it’s a game changer.

I use Optimum No Rinse all the time. The metallic paint on my Mazda really seems to pop when I clean the car with it. But it has its place, its not for a super dirty car.

jlwdm
09-07-2019, 03:51 PM
Foam cannon.
Multiple Chemical Guys mitts. Never put a dirty mitt in water. Use a new one.
Hose off with no nozzle.
Griots Garage microfiber towel that holds 5 gallons of water. I have a blow dryer but never use it.

Jeff

Seramount
09-07-2019, 03:58 PM
apparently some people don't see the need to wash their cars (or bikes, but that's a different thread)...

often see rides that have mildew on the paint.

if I remember my biology correctly, mildew (and most other types of mold) produce organic chemicals (some are solvents) as part of their metabolic processes.

can't imagine those are good for paint.

Ken Robb
09-07-2019, 04:17 PM
I take it to a car wash. I HATE washing cars. OTOH my "rich" uncle found it very satisfying to work 1/2 day on Saturday, pick up some excellent hot baked ham and rye bread on his way home, have a yummy lunch then wash his very nice car while listening to college football on the radio. He could definitely afford to have it done but he LOVED doing it himself. :)

witcombusa
09-07-2019, 04:32 PM
Cars take 20 minutes, that is enjoyable usually. Street/ADV motos, 45 minutes, satisfying.
Dirt bikes coming home after a Spring mud race.... maybe 3 hours of pain :eek:

p nut
09-07-2019, 05:08 PM
I used to take my time washing and waxing. No time any more. 8 quarters at the local car wash. Soapy spray gun. Rinse. High-pressure “wax” (I’m sure it does nothing), then get in the car and hit the blow dry button next to the brake pedal.

mcteague
09-07-2019, 05:17 PM

It always takes me 5 hours to wash a car properly. One should always wash in the shade, so I start at 10 pm and finish at 3 am. I used to use only the softest cotton diapers, but now that our daughter is grown I use recycled high quality terrycloth bath towels. To ensure I don't drag grit over the finish, I constantly change the water, soap, and cloths with each section: roof and windows, hood and trunk, left side top half and front grill, right side top half and rear, sides bottom half, wheels, then finally tires and wheel wells. Dry while wiping the interior with the damp towels, and then all the exterior top surfaces get a gentle polish to remove those little bumps that stick to the finish.

No car is worth that much time IMO. :confused:

Tim

zmudshark
09-07-2019, 05:37 PM
This is a rabbit hole I recently went down, having bought a new car for the first time in 18 years. Mine came with the DISO - dealer installed swirl option, so I delved into the world of paint correction and proper washing.

ONR and microfibers are your friend. Two buckets and grid guards. There’s Reddit forum dedicated to detailing.

It is a deep rabbit hole, know when to say ‘enough’.

I bought a Mazda, if you bought a Ferrari, I’d spend 2 weeks making it blindingly smooth.

zmudshark
09-07-2019, 05:39 PM

You’ve never been to a car detailing forum.

Peter P.
09-07-2019, 05:46 PM
This is a rabbit hole...if you bought a Ferrari, I’d spend 2 weeks making it blindingly smooth.

I had been thinking about this recently.

If you own an expensive and/or exotic car, it's expected to look mint any time you drive it. But the simple act of owning and driving a car will subject it to inevitable cosmetic damage. You will never win this contest.

Trying to maintain a car that's driven, in pristine condition, is a futile activity.
Sure; wash it whenever (30 minutes or less!) and wax it a couple times a year (maybe!), otherwise it's a Sisyphean effort.

bigbill
09-07-2019, 06:02 PM
I live in the desert. Drive through car wash but it's usually a waste of time. About once a week a big thunderstorm will blow up, it'll rain for five minutes, then high winds that blow sand and dirt all over your wet car. It's a continuous cycle.

zmudshark
09-07-2019, 06:04 PM
I had been thinking about this recently.

If you own an expensive and/or exotic car, it's expected to look mint any time you drive it. But the simple act of owning and driving a car will subject it to inevitable cosmetic damage. You will never win this contest.

Trying to maintain a car that's driven, in pristine condition, is a futile activity.
Sure; wash it whenever (30 minutes or less!) and wax it a couple times a year (maybe!), otherwise it's a Sisyphean effort.
Not so. This is the future, my friend.

zmudshark
09-07-2019, 06:06 PM
I live in the desert. Drive through car wash but it's usually a waste of time. About once a week a big thunderstorm will blow up, it'll rain for five minutes, then high winds that blow sand and dirt all over your wet car. It's a continuous cycle.
You have a truck. I too, have a truck. I don’t wash it.

Seriously, my pickup in MI has not been washed since sometime in 2018, maybe.

commandcomm
09-07-2019, 07:02 PM
Washed my two cars today. Didn’t spend $12 at the car wash. I think washing your own car is doing stuff on your own like cutting own grass, changing the brakes, doing own bike maintenance, figuring things out. There is some self satisfaction with doing things yourself.

avalonracing
09-07-2019, 07:18 PM
I don't like washing my car and do it less often than I should but when I do it is pretty much exactly your system.

duff_duffy
09-07-2019, 07:22 PM
My tip of the day....buy a silver car and let the rain “wash” it. My celica that I sold with 240,000 miles a few years ago was washed maybe three times. While it never looked showroom new, it never looked dirty. Silver just does not show dirt that much. Leaves much more time to obsess over bikes!

Ken Robb
09-07-2019, 07:41 PM
My tip of the day....buy a silver car and let the rain “wash” it. My celica that I sold with 240,000 miles a few years ago was washed maybe three times. While it never looked showroom new, it never looked dirty. Silver just does not show dirt that much. Leaves much more time to obsess over bikes!
Another good color for hiding dirt is a light gold metallic. My 1985 BMW had a color called Bronzit that was a silvery gold.

Likes2ridefar
09-07-2019, 07:46 PM
Had two grey cars and agree, looked clean most the time. Now have a metallic dark blue and it looks dusty pretty much always even shortly after cleaning.

charliedid
09-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Washing a car is about as much fun as cutting the grass. Which is to say, not at all.

p nut
09-07-2019, 10:10 PM
Washing a car is about as much fun as cutting the grass. Which is to say, not at all.

Ha ha. Was about to post the same. Working on bikes and other hobbies: self satisfaction. Doing chores: yuck. Sounds like some Tom Sawyer scam to me.

gasman
09-07-2019, 11:31 PM
I’d wash my car but the only place for the soap and to go is down the storm drain to the local creek and then the Willamette river. I go to a local car wash that recycles its’ water.
When I get home I wax it in the shade. I like it but not enough to spend 5 hours on it. I don’t see the point of spending that much time on a vehicle that I drive to go camping, hiking ,skiing and climbing. My SUV is a tool.

paredown
09-08-2019, 06:25 AM
You have a truck. I too, have a truck. I don’t wash it.

Seriously, my pickup in MI has not been washed since sometime in 2018, maybe.

Yup--I went crazy and washed the inside of my cab this summer after I finished a long renovation--I may go crazy and wash the outside too, but that will be the first time in at least 5 years...

RFC
09-08-2019, 07:08 AM

Dead on. My last car was a titanium grey BMW. Here in the desert, I could go months (years) without washing it and it was still titanium grey.

OtayBW
09-08-2019, 07:26 AM
When I take my truck to the dealer for service (or, is that when I bring my truck to the dealer for service, with apologies to Click and Clack...), they always warsh it - whether I like it or not! :cool:

zmudshark
09-08-2019, 09:25 AM
Yup--I went crazy and washed the inside of my cab this summer after I finished a long renovation--I may go crazy and wash the outside too, but that will be the first time in at least 5 years...
I did use a leaf blower on the interior this year.

gomango
09-08-2019, 09:33 AM
I did use a leaf blower on the interior this year.

Slightly off topic, but I purchased a 1976 Honda Elsinore CR250 to rebuild two days ago.

Overall, solid bike.

However, I lifted the saddle to find three highly decayed mice.

I solved this by pulling the Stihl leaf blower from the garage and I blasted the remnants into the next county.

Problem solved. :)

Frankwurst
09-08-2019, 09:45 AM
I've always driven a truck. Used to be able to open the doors and hose them out. Now I have to use a vacuum cleaner and I'm suppose to wash it?:confused:

soulspinner
09-08-2019, 09:59 AM
Assumes you have a car worth washing.:bike:

zmudshark
09-08-2019, 11:43 AM
I’d wash my car but the only place for the soap and to go is down the storm drain to the local creek and then the Willamette river. I go to a local car wash that recycles its’ water.
When I get home I wax it in the shade. I like it but not enough to spend 5 hours on it. I don’t see the point of spending that much time on a vehicle that I drive to go camping, hiking ,skiing and climbing. My SUV is a tool.See Optimum No Rinse (https://optimumcarcare.com/product/optimum-no-rinse-wash-shine1).

gasman
09-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Cool !
Thanks for the link . Interesting product, I’m going to order some.

joosttx
09-08-2019, 01:11 PM
I go to the carwash.

zmudshark
09-08-2019, 04:22 PM
I go to the carwash.

You have swirls in your clearcoat/paint. It may not bother you, but some people it does. I guess it depends on how long you keep the car. I keep mine a long time. Last new car was 18 years ago and still have it. It still looks good.

many_styles
09-08-2019, 09:23 PM
I cringe when I see people use the soap brush at coin-op washes. People use that to clean brake dust and it falls on the group all the time!

Swirl mark city!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54ny77
09-08-2019, 09:41 PM
One word: Zaino. Live it. Learn it. Love it.

;)

YesNdeed
09-08-2019, 10:25 PM
I'm surprised to see how many are still using traditional wash and rinse methods. I started a car wash thread a while back, asking about hose mounted wash gadgets, and was scalded by someone for still using a hose at all. They turned me on to no rinse formula, and after trying it, I never went back. Now I use 1/4-1/2 gallon of water total to wash my car, and it takes about 15 minutes for a quick exterior cleaning. My car is black, so frequent cleaning keeps it looking good. My next house will have a garage, keeping it shaded and ready to clean anytime.

I use Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (blue), very happy with it. When that runs out, I'll give their wash and wax (green) (https://optimumcarcare.com/product/optimum-no-rinse-wash-wax1) formula a try. But I don't use the 2 gallons of water method, as outlined in the directions. I do this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vztqP2C44g&t=614s).

many_styles
09-09-2019, 12:02 AM

;)

I bought into the system 9 years ago, but remembered being too complicated to use on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjm
09-09-2019, 07:15 AM

;)
With all of the high tech paint sealants and ceramic coatings available now, Zaino is pretty much an old relic in the detailing world. I guess it still has its fans.

oldpotatoe
09-09-2019, 08:40 AM
Don't like to wash my car..if I do..$5 thru the 'you do it'..then a few minutes at home with a small vac and cloth for glareshield/some parts of interior.

It's a car, afterall.....put it right there with grass cutting...life's too short. :)

I had a Ford Ranger..work truck...3 years, never washed it except for the day before I put it on Craig'sList but the guy that bought it..doubt he cared..

joosttx
09-09-2019, 08:47 AM
If you haven’t check out this guys YouTube page and you love washing cars or just love someone who is totally into what they do you should.

https://youtu.be/1pEU4GMZBxo

jlwdm
09-09-2019, 09:29 AM
Don't like to wash my car..if I do..$5 thru the 'you do it'..then a few minutes at home with a small vac and cloth for glareshield/some parts of interior.

It's a car, afterall.....put it right there with grass cutting...life's too short. :)

I had a Ford Ranger..work truck...3 years, never washed it except for the day before I put it on Craig'sList but the guy that bought it..doubt he cared..

I would say life is too short not to drive a fun car and take care of it.

Jeff

54ny77
09-09-2019, 09:34 AM
yeah it's old school, but still works very well. for about $50 i have at least few years' worth of supplies, and when used properly it takes me 20 minutes to "wax" (or technically apply polish/sealant) the car--that's both apply super thin layer then remove. water beads like clockwork for 4-6 months after.

to ceramic coat my car would run several hundred bucks or so.

plus, i just enjoy the process. :cool:

With all of the high tech paint sealants and ceramic coatings available now, Zaino is pretty much an old relic in the detailing world. I guess it still has its fans.

YesNdeed
09-09-2019, 09:46 AM
If you haven’t check out this guys YouTube page and you love washing cars or just love someone who is totally into what they do you should.

https://youtu.be/1pEU4GMZBxo

I wonder what the detail job on that old Italian "finicky" paint costed.

54ny77
09-09-2019, 06:57 PM
The Ammo guy is, generally, very high end. Hundreds, and even thousands, for a full tilt paint-correcting detail.

He makes terrific videos.

As one poster mentioned above, the amount of product and their sophistication today, as well as tools, is incredible. It's kind of overwhelming to me, much like I might guess bike stuff to be for the novice!

I tried spending awhile on different car sites as well as.Griots to see what else is new, but I got analysis paralysis. Have largely stuck with what I know

For example 15+ years ago specialized polymer coatings/polishes and clay bars were rare, but today....largely commonplace.

CAAD
09-09-2019, 09:04 PM
Power wash rinse, foam cannon, contact wash (pH neutral soap for maintenance washes), dry. Big fan of spray on sealants and ceramic coatings. Front half of my car does have full paint protection film, easy to maintain. Depending on condition then the paint then the car gets iron remover, clay bar, one step correction, sealant or ceramic. I really enjoy the process.

Elefantino
09-10-2019, 07:29 AM
I would say life is too short not to drive a fun car and take care of it.

Jeff
Man after my own heart!:hello:

denapista
09-10-2019, 01:23 PM
I thought I had a pretty good system down with washing my car, but I see swirls here and there on my 2017 BMW M3. I could drop it off for a nice paint correction and ceramic coat, but I'm posting it up for sale.

My next car purchase, I'll get the entire wash at home kit and get better at washing my car. The materials are key. Getting a good system down with proper towels are drying. Having multiple buckets is also a key, but you can also just find someone who can detail it every once in a while.

I cringe when I see people just destroy their cars by never washing them, etc.... I mean you paid upwards to $70,000 for something you're just going to accelerate the depreciation. It's like buying a house and letting the weeds grow and the the paint fall off.. Just killing the value.

I see people with super dirty cars and dark tinted windows. How the hell are you seeing out of that metal death rocket?

tony_mm
09-10-2019, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE=denapista;2592059]...
The materials are key. Getting a good system down with proper towels are drying. Having multiple buckets is also a key...
QUOTE]

Correct!
So many people just wash their car (or glasses) the wrong way and just scratched it with all the dirt coming from it...

avalonracing
09-10-2019, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=denapista;2592059]...
The materials are key. Getting a good system down with proper towels are drying. Having multiple buckets is also a key...
QUOTE]
So many people just wash their car (or glasses) the wrong way and just scratched it with all the dirt coming from it...

So true. Last year I sold my Mercedes which I had owned for 13 years. I was the only person who ever washed it... no dealers, no auto carwashes (although it was often months between washings). Still, after all those years and sometimes months worth of road grime, there weren't ANY swirls in the paint (nor a single door ding). I ended up selling it to a close friend. Ironically, as I write this, the car is currently in the body shop for front end damage. Oh well.

K3RRY
09-11-2019, 06:00 AM
I just purchased a pressure washer. Amazing if you’re a car wash lover.

jlwdm
09-11-2019, 04:32 PM
I just purchased a pressure washer. Amazing if you’re a car wash lover.

I would never use a pressure washer on my cars. Foam gun for soap and water and rinse with a hose with no nozzle.

Just going to pick up a car at dealer. They said in line to be washed - I had it pulled from the hand wash line as I never let the dealer wash my cars.

Jeff

tony_mm
09-11-2019, 11:44 PM
Same here - no pressure washer for me!

K3RRY
09-12-2019, 02:18 AM
I’d recommend trying a pressure washer for various benefits.
-conserve water
-the high pressure and fine mist removes dirt more effectively than a regular hose with nozzle — less dirt, so you won’t rub the dirt around with your sponge which causes more swirls (number one reason for swirl marks is a dirty sponge)
-less elbow grease with sponge to remove those annoying bird poo

The only con is to be careful to not spray too close and you could strip off your wax (2000psi max at a 2-3ft distance).

jlwdm
09-12-2019, 11:41 AM
I would never remove dirt with a hose and nozzle either.

Jeff

Seramount
09-12-2019, 04:09 PM
just bought a nice pressure washer, but would never use it to clean the paint on a car.

wrong tool for the job.

tbike4
09-12-2019, 06:25 PM
but I got analysis paralysis. .

I have that as well. My Mazda CX-5 is now 9 months old and I try to keep it clean. It's the Soul Red and the paint is a bit soft. I drive through the desert from SoCal to AZ which doesn't help but work is where it is. My guess is about 20 paint nicks larger than I would like.

I use a quick detail spray and have just started to use Mothers speed clay to see if that get's the job done instead of real clay. I think it will meet my needs. I am trying not to get too far down the rabbit hole. This looks nice though. :eek:

CAAD
09-12-2019, 06:35 PM
Pressure washer all day. It's the right tool for the job. Not using some gasoline powered monster on the car. Smaller electric ryobi. Enough for a effective rinse and foam.

Hellgate
09-12-2019, 06:39 PM
In the 911 days it was the Griot's process. Today the Passat gets the $30.00 a month subscription at the nice, local drive through.

zmudshark
09-12-2019, 06:53 PM
I have that as well. My Mazda CX-5 is now 9 months old and I try to keep it clean. It's the Soul Red and the paint is a bit soft. I drive through the desert from SoCal to AZ which doesn't help but work is where it is. My guess is about 20 paint nicks larger than I would like.

I use a quick detail spray and have just started to use Mothers speed clay to see if that get's the job done instead of real clay. I think it will meet my needs. I am trying not to get too far down the rabbit hole. This looks nice though. :eek:

I’m on mobile now, but will PM when I have some time. I have same car, just bought that buffer, but used my son’s buffers (Griots and HF) when I did the CX-5.

I like the feel of the Torq better than the Griots, controls suit me better.

Check out https://www.detailingwiki.org/home-page/

54ny77
09-12-2019, 10:50 PM
unless you're a pro, you want a random orbital buffer. you can burn thru paint so fast otherwise.