PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite factory-built wheelset

tv_vt
09-07-2019, 11:02 AM
For summer road riding, which wheels stand out as the best/most ridden/favorites in your collection?

Is it worth differentiating between aero and climbing wheels, or is that really not a factor? Would you choose different sets between solo rides and group rides? Or put another way, would you choose one set more for comfort and another for speed?

Thanks. Just trying to get some reference points.

GOTHBROOKS
09-07-2019, 11:05 AM
zipp 101s

dbnm
09-07-2019, 11:07 AM
I have one set of wheels. I've been riding them for 18 months and have had zero issues.

Light strong and fast.

https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/ksyrium-pro-ust-rr0928.html#1028=3283

Shop around and you can find them for about $800 with tires, sealant and skewers.

Tommasini53
09-07-2019, 11:12 AM
Campy Eurus. Steel spokes, set up with tubeless tires. These are probably 14 years old, still round and true.

zmalwo
09-07-2019, 11:21 AM
Shimano Ultegra wheelset. I used to like Zondas until I had a pair of Ultegra wheels. Every aspect of those wheels are built to last.

zmalwo
09-07-2019, 11:23 AM
Campy Eurus. Steel spokes, set up with tubeless tires. These are probably 14 years old, still round and true.

It always amazes me that Zonda + Campy alloy wheels never need truing.

shinomaster
09-07-2019, 11:26 AM
1) shamals

2) zondas

bigbill
09-07-2019, 11:27 AM
Zondas, old Cosmic Carbones that I got from Dufus. They just won't die.

tv_vt
09-07-2019, 11:51 AM
A few surprises so far. But also amazing that a cheap set of wheels like the Zondas are so highly regarded. I have a few sets, too, and they are pretty flawless.

Blue Jays
09-07-2019, 11:57 AM
Campagnolo Shamal, Campagnolo Bullet, Campagnolo Bora.
Great stock QR. They only require occasional maintenance.

dave thompson
09-07-2019, 11:58 AM
I've been riding Hed Belgiums and Ardennes for years and love 'em. Zero issues.

Toddykins
09-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Not terribly sexy but its hard to go wrong with dura ace or ultegra

FlashUNC
09-07-2019, 01:23 PM
Mavic Cosmic Pro SL tubulars.

Just outstanding wheels.

Malinois
09-07-2019, 01:27 PM
zipp 101s

Great wheels. These and Dura Ace C24’s are my picks for quality factory builds.

Ttx1
09-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Campy Bora Ultra 35 tubs with Veloflex Ravens.

Neutron Ultra clinchers with Veloflex Corsas, also great.

Agree that Zondas are excellent all around.

I've also been enjoying the Enve-built G23s w/DT 240s in places where the Campy wheelsets have never been...

Spoker
09-07-2019, 01:45 PM
Ksyriums SL. Can't break them. Never needed truing in 10 years.

zero85ZEN
09-07-2019, 01:48 PM
HED Ardennes Plus Black. Decently light, wide, aero enough and built like tanks! Great all round wheels.

jamesdak
09-07-2019, 01:48 PM
Yep, Zonda/Fulcrum Racing 3's are my standard.

To be honest all my Campy/Fulcrum wheels have been trouble-free. Everytime I get a new (old steel) bike I consider Mavics,and Ultegra/Dura Ace, handbuilts, etc. But I almost always go with a Campy Fulcrum set in the end. I guess because they work great and have never caused me any problems.

jamesdak
09-07-2019, 01:49 PM
Ksyriums SL. Can't break them. Never needed truing in 10 years.

My worse wheels. Got them used on a Scott CR1 Pro and never could keep them true. Go figure...

ntb1001
09-07-2019, 02:07 PM
Zipp 303 FC clinchers, also another vote for Campy Eurus tubeless..bought in 2010 and still straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryker
09-07-2019, 02:08 PM
This is a funny topic. Hard to even answer without understanding the perceived advantage of factory-built wheels.

john903
09-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Humm, what are my favorite factory built wheels. Lately I have been acquiring several wheel sets and it has been fun to fit a wheel set to the season.

Summer
Campy Hyperon's

Fall
Campy Neculeon's

Winter
Fixed gear White industries eno hub to basic Mavic open pro

Spring Classics
(hand built) White industry hubs to Ambrosio Nemesis

GregL
09-07-2019, 02:41 PM
Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL (generation 2, 2010 vintage). Rugged, reliable, and fast. The aluminum brake track meant no need for special brake pads and solid braking wet or dry. If Mavic made a modern version of these wheels (e.g., wider, U-shaped rim, tubeless compatible, etc...), I’d buy a pair in a heartbeat.

Greg

93KgBike
09-07-2019, 04:04 PM
My worse wheels. Got them used on a Scott CR1 Pro and never could keep them true. Go figure...

The spoke-nipples on those are righty-loosey lefty-tighty.

I've never trued the 2-3 sets I've run but I built a set from hubs this year and it was kind of a PIA. Easier to just buy them.

tv_vt
09-07-2019, 04:09 PM
Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL (generation 2, 2010 vintage). Rugged, reliable, and fast. The aluminum brake track meant no need for special brake pads and solid braking wet or dry. If Mavic made a modern version of these wheels (e.g., wider, U-shaped rim, tubeless compatible, etc...), I’d buy a pair in a heartbeat.

Greg

Mavic does make a newer version of these: Cosmic Pro Carbon, 45mm deep, rounded rim shape, wider, too. About $800-$900 at various outlets. They've tempted me many times.

Gummee
09-07-2019, 09:48 PM
Favorites? Mavic Heliums. The original red ones

Right after that are my C24s that I recently sold in a fit of madness

Then 101s

Then 404s, but I tend to change out the rear hubs for DT Swiss and/or White Industries T11

M

weiwentg
09-07-2019, 10:10 PM
I'd probably vote for Boyd's Altamont wheels, which are available in disc (https://boydcycling.com/collections/alloy-gravel-cx/products/altamont-alloy-clincher-front-disc-wheel), standard rim brake (https://boydcycling.com/collections/alloy/products/altamont-alloy-front-wheel), or ceramic coated (https://boydcycling.com/collections/alloy/products/altamont-ceramic-coated-front-wheel) rim brake. I hesitate only because I have no personal experience with their hubs. I have a pair of Altamont ceramics laced to White Industries hubs, but those aren't factory built.

Mike V
09-07-2019, 10:28 PM
Driel and Obermeyer Gen 1 Lightweight Wheels

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SSC tubulars

mtechnica
09-07-2019, 10:47 PM
Really like my zonda c17 and even my scirocco c17. My girlfriend has fulcrum racing 5 on two bikes and they are solid.

Skenry
09-08-2019, 07:33 AM
Favorites? Mavic Heliums. The original red ones

Exactly what I was going to say, past those I still like it build them myself. They were a thing of beauty.

Bob Ross
09-08-2019, 07:33 AM
I guess the DT Swiss Mon Chasserol 1450, because they were the closest thing to the DT Swiss handbuilt wheels that I now have on most of my bikes.

OtayBW
09-08-2019, 07:35 AM
I've been riding Hed Belgiums and Ardennes for years and love 'em. Zero issues.
Me, too. Set'em and forget'em...:cool:

GregL
09-08-2019, 07:58 AM
Mavic does make a newer version of these: Cosmic Pro Carbon, 45mm deep, rounded rim shape, wider, too. About $800-$900 at various outlets. They've tempted me many times.
Unfortunately, it appears that Mavic has dropped the Cosmic Pro Carbon from their product line. I did look at them, but they were never updated to be tubeless compatible and they tested poorly in the infamous Hambini aero wheel test.

Greg

Clancy
09-08-2019, 08:02 AM
Shimano c-24 and c-35.

These two sets are my only road wheels. I’ve ridden them for for maybe 4-5 years. Still as perfectly true as they day they were purchased.

Beautiful hubs with cup and cone bearings.

For factory wheels, pretty hard to beat.

Elefantino
09-08-2019, 08:11 AM
+1 for Shamals.

Dino Suegiù
09-08-2019, 11:19 PM
Campagnolo Shamal; almost any/all generations.

Lionel
09-08-2019, 11:29 PM
Top3: bora, Hyperon, meilenstein.

Tubulars of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjg
09-09-2019, 01:39 PM
Any experience or opinions on the Mavic All Road Elite 700c wheelset ? (Not the tires just wheels)

Tickdoc
09-09-2019, 01:52 PM
campy wto 45. stellar.

campy shamal mille c17. stop like a freight train and built as tough.

campy neutron. old failthful.

Non stock? anything laced by our very own Old Spudster.

cmg
09-09-2019, 02:05 PM
Reynolds MV32ul. I have 2 sets, bought used, no problems.

9tubes
09-09-2019, 06:51 PM
For summer road riding, which wheels stand out as the best/most ridden/favorites in your collection?

I recently got a set of Bora WTO 45 and love them.

Is it worth differentiating between aero and climbing wheels, or is that really not a factor?

Not for me. There is nearly no aero difference between say the WTO 45 and 60. Like maybe 1 watt at 30mph at normal yaw angles. The deeper wheels are just heavier, which some people seem to like (more inertia) but more inertia doesn't make you faster. As for "climbing wheels" I guess it depends on easily you spend a few thousand, but for example, a Zipp 202 is not much lighter than a WTO 45 and for me it's not worth it. The Bora WTO 45s are lighter than most wheels, such as a typical HED Belgium setup.

Would you choose different sets between solo rides and group rides? Or put another way, would you choose one set more for comfort and another for speed?

I wouldn't. I don't think I could tell the difference. With modern tires (i.e., 25mm or 28mm using low-ish pressures) there is far more cushion in the tires than the wheels.

arimajol
09-09-2019, 07:22 PM
I'd probably vote for Boyd's Altamont wheels, which are available in disc (https://boydcycling.com/collections/alloy-gravel-cx/products/altamont-alloy-clincher-front-disc-wheel), standard rim brake (https://boydcycling.com/collections/alloy/products/altamont-alloy-front-wheel), or ceramic coated (https://boydcycling.com/collections/alloy/products/altamont-ceramic-coated-front-wheel) rim brake. I hesitate only because I have no personal experience with their hubs. I have a pair of Altamont ceramics laced to White Industries hubs, but those aren't factory built.

I was wondering if anyone would say Boyds. I've been curious about these for a while and they might be my next wheel buy, maybe in a year or so.

Ronsonic
09-09-2019, 09:45 PM
A few surprises so far. But also amazing that a cheap set of wheels like the Zondas are so highly regarded. I have a few sets, too, and they are pretty flawless.

The Zondas are stupid good for the price. Don't ride as nicely as good hand-build stuff but more aero and no weight penalty.

AngryScientist
09-09-2019, 09:57 PM
I have had great service from wheels of all levels in the campy/fulcrum lineup.

Honarable mention goes to some ancient ksyriums on my travel bike that I can’t kill despite some serious abuse.

robertbb
09-10-2019, 12:47 AM
campy wto 45. stellar.

campy shamal mille c17. stop like a freight train and built as tough.

So that is to say they don't stop well? :eek:

I've got:
Zonda C17's
Bora 35 Ultra Clinchers
Bora 35 Ultra tubulars

I've had Shamal C17's (non mille).

The only one of those wheels I've moved on are the Shamals. Those spokes are stupid, they catch the cross wind and they seem to "top out" speed wise.

Zondas are far better (and according to Tour magazine testing, are measurably stiffer and more aerodynamic) than Shamals. About the only advantage the Shamal has is in the hubs/bearings.

If Campy brought out a Zonda C17 with the Shamal hub (or, put another way, a Shamal with steel spokes) I'd be in heaven.

marciero
09-10-2019, 04:25 AM
Another nod to Nucleon tubulars. All my other wheels are handbuilts.

Hilltopperny
09-10-2019, 05:42 AM
I really like my Reynolds, Campagnolo and Mavic. The Ksyrium SLR with exalith are the best braking rim I have ever used. They spin up and climb great, but are a little flex under my weight.

The Reynolds carbon line have been great. They are high quality wheels and start out quite a bit cheaper than most of there competitors without losing any of the performance.

Campagnolo wheelsets are also top notch. They are well built and stay true. My only gripe was trying to mount tires on my Neutron Ultras!

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk

Tickdoc
09-10-2019, 05:42 AM
So that is to say they don't stop well? :eek:

A really bad analogy. They are the best stopping wheels I have ( may be the blue pads provided, but they stop really well in all conditions.)

El Chaba
09-10-2019, 07:06 AM
The single favorite: Mavic Cosmic Carbone SSC tubulars....my set is from about 2004..(the ones with the alloy rim/brake surface and carbon fairing). They are borderline magical. Sadly, Mavic was in the process of losing their mind shortly after this and quit making every awesome product that was in their catalog at the time.

oldpotatoe
09-10-2019, 07:10 AM
Do wheels built in my 'factory' count? :)

19wisconsin64
09-10-2019, 07:11 AM
For all-around, the HED Ardennes Plus SL Wheelset has been the fastest, best braking, most comfortable I've ever ridden. They even climb quickly! This is the rim brake version.

They are a game-changer.

Yesterday I ordered a disc-brake bike, with carbon aero wheels that are also clincher, and also have a wide internal rim width of 21 mm. I'm sure these will be even faster due to their more aerodynamic rim profile.

Elefantino
09-10-2019, 07:17 AM
Forgot to add carbon: Reynolds Assault. The made-for-Performance (RIP) model was called the R Four. They generally sold for around $1K.

I have a de-stickered pair on my Serotta. Very responsive and smooth.

(A customer returned them under the old PBS no-questions-asked policy. They were never resold and I picked them up for a donation to the store pizza fund.)

El Chaba
09-10-2019, 07:37 AM
Do wheels built in my 'factory' count? :)

Possibly. To qualify, though, they have to include at least one component thatis either proprietary or discontinued*….

*See also Mavic Ksyrium Zicral spokes...

oldpotatoe
09-10-2019, 09:25 AM
Possibly. To qualify, though, they have to include at least one component that is either proprietary or discontinued*….

*See also Mavic Ksyrium Zicral spokes...

That's me..well, not discontinued yet..:eek:
Yup, a real shame to delegate a really nice hubset to pen holder status cuz either the rim or spokes are no longer available.

Whatdayamean, no 27h rims??:eek:

Redbasso2
09-10-2019, 01:19 PM
I've always rode on hand-built wheelsets with high end rims, hubs and spokes. This time around I got these Pacenti Forza rim brake wheelset for just $400. I didn't want to go for an $800 handbuilt set.
I have to say for the money these wheels are absolutely incredible! They are really wide (24mm), hubs spin super smooth, the latest aluminum rim technology. I swear I am faster and more stable on these wheels than any other set I've had previously. I just did a hilly 106mile Gran Fondo on them 2 days ago and they were rock solid!

I also like that I've seen good comments on this thread for Campy Zonda wheels. I just got a new set in last week that I'm building up with a Potenza build for my newly acquired Vonhof steel frame. I can't wait to get that build finalized to try out on the road.

Jeff N.
09-10-2019, 01:24 PM
FULCRUM RAZING ZERO's. As one reviewer once said, "They're what Ksyriums want to be when they grow up.". For an all-around wheelset, nothing else comes close, IMO.

tony_mm
09-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Campagnolo Bora 50 Ultra and Bora 50 One. Insanely good and fast.

And

Many DT Swiss wheelsets (ARC 1100 Dicut 48, ERC 1100 Dicut 47, PRC 1400 Spline 35, GRC 1400 Spline 42, etc...). The ratchet technology is so good and so easy for maintenance. And wheelsets with an all swiss quality.

tv_vt
09-10-2019, 03:51 PM
FULCRUM RAZING ZERO's. As one reviewer once said, "They're what Ksyriums want to be when they grow up.". For an all-around wheelset, nothing else comes close, IMO.

Are the Racing Zeros essentially Shamals with a slightly different spoke pattern in the rear wheel?

Clean39T
09-10-2019, 04:14 PM
Are the Racing Zeros essentially Shamals with a slightly different spoke pattern in the rear wheel?

Available here (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=239600) cheap from yours truly... C17 version too, w Campy FHB that is easily swapped by the new owner to a Shimano FHB if so desired.

Jeff N.
09-10-2019, 04:20 PM
Are the Racing Zeros essentially Shamals with a slightly different spoke pattern in the rear wheel?...but a bit more spread out...