PDA

View Full Version : There is a first time for everything - tire install fail

fa63
09-06-2019, 05:10 PM
I have always prided myself in my ability to mount clinchers. I thought I had the technique down. My buddies have brought me tires they couldn't install themselves, and I would do it for them. Sometimes it wouldn't be easy, but I always got it done.

Well, today I went to install a pair of Vittoria Corsa 2.0 tires on my carbon disc clinchers. The Schwalbe One tires that are on there right now had gone on fairly easily, and I haven't had any issues with the Vittorias on other rims. But I just could not get these tires on there, no matter what I tried. As a last resort, I pulled out the Koolstop Beadjack and even that didn't work. Now I have two torn up thumbs and a deflated ego (I will get over it).

Hope my buddy's shop has an old rim lying around that I can use to throw these on and get them stretched out...

Cicli
09-06-2019, 05:28 PM
I have only failed once as well. Trying to install a Tubeless tire on a non tubeless rim. I might have got it but didn't want to have to do it out on the road.
I wont ride a tire rim combo I cant dismount by hand.

OtayBW
09-06-2019, 05:33 PM
I hate to admit this, but once some years ago, I had to use a couple of small vice grips, shielded with thick towels, to put a couple of tires onto my ex-GF's rims. This is worse than mounting your ride in the workstand by the top tube (:eek:), but it was the only way I could see to do it. ;)

Spaghetti Legs
09-06-2019, 05:39 PM
I find that using a baseball bat on something breakable but inexpensive helps.

echappist
09-06-2019, 05:49 PM
I have always prided myself in my ability to mount clinchers. I thought I had the technique down. My buddies have brought me tires they couldn't install themselves, and I would do it for them. Sometimes it wouldn't be easy, but I always got it done.

Well, today I went to install a pair of Vittoria Corsa 2.0 tires on my carbon disc clinchers. The Schwalbe One tires that are on there right now had gone on fairly easily, and I haven't had any issues with the Vittorias on other rims. But I just could not get these tires on there, no matter what I tried. As a last resort, I pulled out the Koolstop Beadjack and even that didn't work. Now I have two torn up thumbs and a deflated ego (I will get over it).

Hope my buddy's shop has an old rim lying around that I can use to throw these on and get them stretched out...

2 words: soapy water

Seriously. I had a helluva time mounting tires onto tubeless-ready rims. Broke a few tire levers, pinch-punctured a few tubes, and swore like a drunken sailor. The Beadjack was utterly useless.

My coach recommended soapy water previously, but I wasn't quite convinced. I tried it as a last resort, and lo and behold, it worked.

Soapy water on the rim was all that was needed.

As mentioned elsewhere, I carry a spritzer bottle of the thing with me on my rides these days. 1 part dish detergent/liquid soap to 10 parts water. Give it a try

Btw, that's not a tire install fail. Install fail implies something much worse...

mtechnica
09-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Soapy water is a good idea, that’s what you use to mount tubeless MTB tires.