PDA

View Full Version : Onyx road hubs - anyone use them?

d_douglas
09-06-2019, 04:54 PM
I am a huge fan of my Onyx MTB wheels. So much so that I was think that it’d be cool to have a set for my rim-brakes road bike.

Has anyone used these (esp for campagnolo) and if so, what do you think? I assume that the feeling is like the disc wheels, but just wanted some feedback.

I would be selling some King R45s on HED Belgiums to fund these. They’re gorgeous too, but the Onyx is my favourite.

ewwhite
09-06-2019, 07:06 PM
I use them on a rim-braked road bike. Shimano freehub.
Not much to say other than the coasting is silent, the engagement is wonderful and everything *feels* more efficient.

Veloo
09-06-2019, 07:26 PM
Wonder if those Helix models are a pain to keep clean.

FlashUNC
09-06-2019, 07:29 PM
Was going to get a set, but they've not sorted out their XDR freehub for the road hubs quite yet.

Look great though.

Veloo
09-06-2019, 07:30 PM
Not too bad from the looks of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMNpbtQ2zTw

93KgBike
09-06-2019, 10:49 PM
Put may thousands of miles on a set of their mtb hubs. Good cartridge bearings and durable hub shells.

d_douglas
09-07-2019, 12:03 AM
I use them on a rim-braked road bike. Shimano freehub.
Not much to say other than the coasting is silent, the engagement is wonderful and everything *feels* more efficient.

Thanks - I can’t imagine the abuse is worse on road than off-road. My mtb ones are great. I am just trying to muster the courage to sell off the Kings. I swore I wouldn’t do it, but Onyx is calling my name :)

Toddykins
09-07-2019, 03:35 AM
I have a set on my gravel bike and road bike. I like the quick engagement and I have encountered no issues in thousands of km, which is more than I can say for some of the other popular boutique brands.