PDA

View Full Version : Talk about descending in the rain...

bcm119
05-09-2004, 11:56 PM
On my fourth ride around my new area of residence, I found myself in a mildly treacherous situation today. I rode out to Mary's Peak, a 4000 ft mountain about 20 miles southwest of Corvallis. The mountain has a beautifully paved, curvy road that ascends the entire 3000 feet of local elevation gain in 9.5 miles. About half way up, it started pouring- and I mean big fat stinging drops, not the misty drizzle I thought Oregon is known for. Of course, being a silly Californian (of 6 years at least) I didn't bring any rain gear, just a long sleeve and knee warmers. Descending was hairy, to say the least, but certainly alot of fun. It became a bit more dangerous when I got chilled and stiff, and my fingers numbed up. I locked up the rear wheel a few times as I had to brake hard before going into each turn, and they were steep. And to top off a ride already full of surprises (I also saw a girl on a motorcycle lay her bike down in a corner) I was stung by a bee that flew into my helmet vent. Eventful day... but spent some quality time with my bike cleaning 'er up afterwards. Days like these bring bike and rider a little closer...