PDA

View Full Version : Sell or reuse a rim?

kevinvc
09-06-2019, 11:13 AM
I have a 2.5 year old Salsa Fargo with the stock wheelset: Salsa hub laced to WTB SX19 rims. I've put about 3,000 miles on them. They're in excellent condition with no damage or scratches. The bike has disc brakes so there's no wear from pads. I use the bike for daily commuting and occasional gravel riding and loaded touring.

I'm going to build a dyno wheelset and am trying to decide whether to buy a new rim or just cut up the existing wheel and reuse the WTB. I don't really have any use for an extra front wheel and I doubt I would get much money for it. If I reuse it I would just donate the hub to a local co-op.

The WTB rim isn't anything special, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it either. I could spend $100 and get something that's slightly "better" but I doubt I would notice any difference. The aesthetics of different front and back rims on the bike would also bother me somewhat.

Is there a compelling reason for investing in a new rim for this project?

saab2000
09-06-2019, 11:26 AM
I'd rebuild with the new hub. That way you'll have matching rims and the necessary symmetry to keep the universe happy.

DRZRM
09-06-2019, 11:29 AM
There is no wrong answer.The rim would be fine for re-use and you are right it will have almost no resale value. It is easy enough to build lighter, wider, and/or stronger without spending too much, but why? I'd likely re-lace the rim to the new hub, one less thing to wait for. But if I came across a nice rim on sale, I could easily go the other way. You will loosen the spokes before you cut them out, right?

unterhausen
09-06-2019, 12:20 PM
I have a fairly extensive front wheel collection, because every bike now has a dynohub on it. Even the fatbike. The only rim I think about reusing is a dt swiss, but my lbs advises I shouldn't do it.

Spaghetti Legs
09-06-2019, 03:31 PM
Go with matching rims. Mismatched wheels is one of those things that takes just a tiny bit of the pleasure out of an otherwise cool bike.

marciero
09-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Go with matching rims. Mismatched wheels is one of those things that takes just a tiny bit of the pleasure out of an otherwise cool bike.

Right. Possible exception is if it's a commuter, beater, or some bike where part of the cool factor is that it was parts on hand. "What-this old thing??"

Another thing is that if you found another rim that was better or better-suited in some way, would you not want it on both wheels?

kevinvc
09-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Thanks for affirming the direction I was leaning. It would be nice to invest in a new nicer matching wheelset, but that's not in the cards right now. I'll use the money I save by re-using the old rim to upgrade the USB charger I buy from The Plug to a Sinewave Reactor.

And as petty as it may be, having a mis-matched set would make me cringe every time I got on the bike.

oldpotatoe
09-07-2019, 07:07 AM
Thanks for affirming the direction I was leaning. It would be nice to invest in a new nicer matching wheelset, but that's not in the cards right now. I'll use the money I save by re-using the old rim to upgrade the USB charger I buy from The Plug to a Sinewave Reactor.

And as petty as it may be, having a mis-matched set would make me cringe every time I got on the bike.

Sounds good..if you need spokes or a build, let me know..Sapim Race.