PDA

View Full Version : Hub rebuild - grease or no grease?

Cinci Jim
09-01-2019, 11:59 AM
I'm replacing the bearings in a White Industries CLD rear hub. I'm the first person to open up the hub, they have about 1000 miles on them and it turns out one of the bearings was getting crunchy.

I open it up and everything is coated in grease. I found this funny as overhaul instructions from White Ind don't hardly mention using grease. Actually they say don't grease. They say clean off any grease and then don't grease.

Just a drop or 2 of oil on the pawls.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Hindmost
09-01-2019, 12:10 PM
I don't have experience with White hubs. Many manufacturers recommend no grease because the stickiness interferes with a spring and pawl action. So, oil instead.

You're going to get a lot of answers: oil / heavy weight oil / special, secret grease.

dave thompson
09-01-2019, 12:20 PM
I use a dab of NFS on each pawl when I service/overhaul my hubs.

BdaGhisallo
09-01-2019, 12:32 PM
I asked this question of the folks at WI a while back after getting my T11 rear hub open and finding copious quantities of grease that WI say should not be used.

They told me that they were concerned that people might use the wrong type of grease and hinder the proper operation of the hub.

I guess it hasn't occurred to them to then specify what type of grease to use or, and I know this is crazy talk, sell to users the type of grease they put in the hubs when they assemble them for sale and initial use.

Cinci Jim
09-01-2019, 02:17 PM
I asked this question of the folks at WI a while back after getting my T11 rear hub open and finding copious quantities of grease that WI say should not be used.

They told me that they were concerned that people might use the wrong type of grease and hinder the proper operation of the hub.

I guess it hasn't occurred to them to then specify what type of grease to use or, and I know this is crazy talk, sell to users the type of grease they put in the hubs when they assemble them for sale and initial use.

I was thinking something like that. The pawls seem to be louder now with out the grease on them.

Thanks for the info!

OtayBW
09-01-2019, 04:18 PM
On a sort of off-, but related topic, I always wondered about this pair of HED Ardennes that I have. They are dead silent compared to 2 other wheelsets that I have and most everyone I ride with. I can sneak up on anyone!

AngryScientist
09-01-2019, 04:35 PM
no grease in the freehub of pawl type hubs. for WI hubs, i like a heavier weight oil, particularly i use hypoid gear oil, which is literally made for sliding contact metal surfaces, but almost any liquid lube is fine, just not super lightweigth stuff.

incidentally, unless these were severe duty wet weather hubs, 1000 miles is pretty early to kill a bearing!

Tony T
09-01-2019, 05:34 PM
No grease.
I also asked WI awilu back and the said ok on grease. So I used some synth grease (same that I use on my Royce Hubs) and I saw that the pawls were sticking, so I cleaned out the grease and now only use oil (which is what the WI manuals say)
No grease, oil

http://0104.nccdn.net/1_5/30d/138/249/REAR_HUB_ADJUSTMENT.pdf

6. Clean out the ratchet ring area in the hub shell so that it is free of grease. Replace pawls and spring as needed and coat pawl and spring pockets with a light oil or dry lube (Fig.9). DO NOT GREASE. Check the function of each pawl by gently depressing each pawl (Fig.10). The pawls should easily spring back into place.

Tony T
09-01-2019, 05:38 PM
no grease in the freehub of pawl type hubs. for WI hubs, i like a heavier weight oil, particularly i use hypoid gear oil, which is literally made for sliding contact metal surfaces, but almost any liquid lube is fine, just not super lightweigth stuff.

incidentally, unless these were severe duty wet weather hubs, 1000 miles is pretty early to kill a bearing!

ROYCE, not only says use grease (Super Lube 21030 Synthetic Grease), they sell a grease injection tool
Royce doesn't use a spring type pawl. They use a pawl that engages with tiny springs.

...but most Hubs -- no grease.