PDA

View Full Version : BB90 - Dust sleeve necessary??

oldguy00
08-31-2019, 08:59 AM
Hi all, just ordered a replacement BB90 bearing set from BBinfinite, their standard ABEC 7 set, not ceramic.
I notice the pics on their website do not show a center dust sleeve, like the one you'd get when ordering the BB set from trek.
Is it not really necessary?

And somewhat related - for folks using bb90, what do you find the typical lifespan is if not ridden in bad weather? I have a new Speed Concept frame coming, and I do all my riding indoors during the off season, so pretty much October to May, about 6-7 hours per week on the trainer... Wondering if I should put some cheaper bearings in for the winter, and put the bbinfinite set in when May rolls around...

Thx!!

Tony
08-31-2019, 10:41 AM
Hi all, just ordered a replacement BB90 bearing set from BBinfinite, their standard ABEC 7 set, not ceramic.
I notice the pics on their website do not show a center dust sleeve, like the one you'd get when ordering the BB set from trek.
Is it not really necessary?

And somewhat related - for folks using bb90, what do you find the typical lifespan is if not ridden in bad wether? I have a new Speed Concept frame coming, and I do all my riding indoors during the off season, so pretty much October to May, about 6-7 hours per week on the trainer... Wondering if I should put some cheaper bearings in for the winter, and put the bbinfinite set in when May rolls around...

Thx!!

No, it's not.

CAAD
08-31-2019, 01:56 PM
I never use the sleeve. I have had nothing but great luck with Hawk full stainless bearings. On the emonda and domane the frames seems to funnel water and sweat directly into the BB. I always recommend the Hawk full stainless and never see that customer again for BB related issues.

oldguy00
08-31-2019, 01:57 PM
I never use the sleeve. I have had nothing but great luck with Hawk full stainless bearings. On the emonda and domane the frames seems to funnel water and sweat directly into the BB. I always recommend the Hawk full stainless and never see that customer again for BB related issues.

Cool, thanks. I've ordered the bbinfinite already, but will keep Hawk in mind for next round.