PDA

View Full Version : Wayyyy OT: Oktoberfest Beer recommendations

BobC
08-30-2019, 06:23 PM
My favorite time of the year is here beer-wise.
Looking for recommendations on Oktoberfest Beers that are out.
Last year Sierra Nevada's collaboration was outstanding.

So far I have tried:
Foothills Oktoberfest - pretty good
Highland Clawhammer - very good

Of note, pumpkin beer is forbidden. It is an abomination. Offenders will be flogged. Survivors will be flogged a second time.

What have you tried & what have you liked?

Tickdoc
08-30-2019, 06:26 PM
Gotta say I’m not a fan of most octoberfest brews. Most taste like a slightly maltier lager to me.

Gsinill
08-30-2019, 06:29 PM
Spaten and Paulaner, both are usually sold at Costco.

chuckroast
08-30-2019, 07:13 PM
I'm originally from Kansas City so a little biased but I've enjoyed this since it was first offered back in the 90's sometime:

https://www.boulevard.com/beerinfo/bobs-47-oktoberfest/

gbcoupe
08-30-2019, 07:14 PM
Not exactly Octoberfest, but same season. Both based off a harvesting of sort :). Should be coming out soon.
Great Lakes Nosferatu.

Look585
08-30-2019, 08:30 PM
The only real answer is: go to the source. A few days in the tents with friends, old and new, is unforgettable. Call a buddy you don't see often enough and suggest something crazy. When you do go, spend the €uros on some lederhosen. Worth every penny.

Short of that, the 2019 Sierra Nevada / Bitburger collaboration is very good again this year. I also really enjoy Sudwerk Märzen from Davis, CA.

Sadly my beer tastes run much more towards "malty German" than "piney IPA" so Oktoberfest season is a welcome reprieve from the hopfest that seems to be the norm.

rowebr
08-30-2019, 08:31 PM
My favorite time of the year is here beer-wise.
Looking for recommendations on Oktoberfest Beers that are out.
Last year Sierra Nevada's collaboration was outstanding.

So far I have tried:
Foothills Oktoberfest - pretty good
Highland Clawhammer - very good

Of note, pumpkin beer is forbidden. It is an abomination. Offenders will be flogged. Survivors will be flogged a second time.

What have you tried & what have you liked?

I really liked the Oktoberfest that Port City in Alexandria VA made this year. Wonder if you can find it down in VA beach.

Seamus
08-30-2019, 09:38 PM
Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen. Delicious and classic.

ultraman6970
08-30-2019, 09:56 PM
Guillotine and any delerium.

kohagen
08-31-2019, 05:28 AM
Spaten and Paulaner, both are usually sold at Costco.

+1 on both

martl
08-31-2019, 06:20 AM
As a Munich native, i dare to give my 2ct worth

Oktoberfest beer is a special brew and is different from your normal Munich "Hell"; it used to be a "Märzen", today it resembles mostly the "Export" kind. It has a more distinct taste, contains more alcohol and has more "gravity" (Stammwürze).

Only the big munich breweries (Augustiner, Paulaner, Hofbräu, Hacker-Pschorr, Spaten, Löwenbräu) may supply the beer for the "Wiesn", so these are the real deal; other breweries also offer "Oktoberfest"-style beers to profit from the hype.

The beer's taste can and will vary from year to year. Löwenbräu, for example, made a tour toward a very distinctively bitter note, almost resembling a Pilsener, the last few years.
The exception is Augustiner, who serve their "Edelstoff", an Export available all-season, from wooden casks, and as such will not vary very much. Many consider it to be the finest stuff on the Wiesn, others say it is a headache (literally).

The munich local newspaper "Sueddeutsche" asks a Sommelier each year to rank this yer's beers, and the results vary vastly from year to year.

45K10
08-31-2019, 09:36 AM
I know it isn't a sexy pick, but Sam Adams Octoberfest is pretty darn good. I lived in Bavaria for a few years and had my share of Fest beers. My go to beer tent at the Oktoberfest in Munich was Spaten so I also have a soft spot for that one if I can find it.

herb5998
08-31-2019, 10:20 AM
Left Hand brewing in Longmont, CO makes a kick ass Marzen this time of year for Oktoberfest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdxharth
08-31-2019, 10:54 AM
Oh man, I love this topic!

We are loaded out here in Oregon, with Occidental, Heater-Allen, Zoiglhaus, and others make excellent versions of the style. But they are are local and not widely distributed. Ninkasi makes a very slightly hoppier version - which I had a keg of last fall - but I don’t know how big their distribution area is, either.

I agree Sierra Nevada has a good thing going with their collaborations, and I am looking forward to trying theirs this year.

It has been a few years since I’ve had it, but Great DIvide Brewing, out of Colorado, had an awesome Octoberfest beer that I loved. That may have more national availability.

It is now also fresh hop season here, which is just beginning. Last week I saw the first fresh hop Octoberfest in stores. I can’t imagine that being very traditional, but I bet the marzen style lends itself well to tasting those fresh hops. I should go back and grab a sixer.

Lastly, Deschutes makes an autumn IPA called Hopzeit, using German hops, which is rich and hoppy and delicious!

Great time of year to be a beer lover!

OtayBW
08-31-2019, 11:42 AM

Oktoberfest beer is a special brew and is different from your normal Munich "Hell"; it used to be a "Märzen", today it resembles mostly the "Export" kind. It has a more distinct taste, contains more alcohol and has more "gravity" (Stammwürze).

Only the big munich breweries (Augustiner, Paulaner, Hofbräu, Hacker-Pschorr, Spaten, Löwenbräu) may supply the beer for the "Wiesn", so these are the real deal; other breweries also offer "Oktoberfest"-style beers to profit from the hype.

The beer's taste can and will vary from year to year. Löwenbräu, for example, made a tour toward a very distinctively bitter note, almost resembling a Pilsener, the last few years.
The exception is Augustiner, who serve their "Edelstoff", an Export available all-season, from wooden casks, and as such will not vary very much. Many consider it to be the finest stuff on the Wiesn, others say it is a headache (literally).

The munich local newspaper "Sueddeutsche" asks a Sommelier each year to rank this yer's beers, and the results vary vastly from year to year.
A German friend from Bavaria once brought me a bottle of a beer that he said never finds its way outside of Germany: Hetzelsdorfer. Ring a bell? It was fantastic.

martl
08-31-2019, 01:52 PM
A German friend from Bavaria once brought me a bottle of a beer that he said never finds its way outside of Germany: Hetzelsdorfer. Ring a bell? It was fantastic.

never beard of it :) its from frankonia i see; not my neck of the woods beer-wise, but it is well known for having a gazillion of small breweries, sometimes 2-3 in ome village. Vast majority of them are excellent!
friend of mine did a bike holiday there once and she said it was her first trip of that kind where it wasnt "i,'m too tired to go on today lets look for a place to stay" but instead "i' m too dizzy..."

beaugiful rides to be had there, too!

OtayBW
08-31-2019, 03:14 PM
never beard of it :) its from frankonia i see; not my neck of the woods beer-wise, but it is well known for having a gazillion of small breweries, sometimes 2-3 in ome village. Vast majority of them are excellent!
friend of mine did a bike holiday there once and she said it was her first trip of that kind where it wasnt "i,'m too tired to go on today lets look for a place to stay" but instead "i' m too dizzy..."

beaugiful rides to be had there, too!Haha! Yes - this guy was from Fanconia, and I did some travel in the US with him for work some time ago. Every night, we'd be sitting in a restaurant and I'd suggest some interesting local beer for him to try, and he would taste it and just push it away with a loud groan!...'groan' being the polite word. Oddly enough, the one beer that he consistently liked was Sam Adams lager. Go figure - well, I like it, too, so what the heck?

But anyway, he brought me a bottle of this Hezelsdorfer to try, and it was fantastic - to my taste. More than that, it just tasted fresh, for lack of a better word. I'll probably never see another bottle of it, but I like the idea that it's totally consumed locally.

Cheers.

booglebug
08-31-2019, 03:45 PM
Anyone home brew out there? With a little experimenting you can hone in on the taste you are looking for.

martl
08-31-2019, 04:08 PM
Haha! Yes - this guy was from Fanconia, and I did some travel in the US with him for work some time ago. Every night, we'd be sitting in a restaurant and I'd suggest some interesting local beer for him to try, and he would taste it and just push it away with a loud groan!...'groan' being the polite word. Oddly enough, the one beer that he consistently liked was Sam Adams lager. Go figure - well, I like it, too, so what the heck?

But anyway, he brought me a bottle of this Hezelsdorfer to try, and it was fantastic - to my taste. More than that, it just tasted fresh, for lack of a better word. I'll probably never see another bottle of it, but I like the idea that it's totally consumed locally.

Cheers.

some germans/bavarians like to be prickly about their beer... some with, most without reason. I found some pleasant surprises by being openminded and not expecting every beer worldeide to taste like Tegernseer :)

Hakkalugi
08-31-2019, 04:14 PM
I’ll drink any beer that doesn’t show signs of active resistance.

(Berries in a beer are considered to be resistance)

Gsinill
08-31-2019, 06:31 PM
Haha! Yes - this guy was from Fanconia, and I did some travel in the US with him for work some time ago. Every night, we'd be sitting in a restaurant and I'd suggest some interesting local beer for him to try, and he would taste it and just push it away with a loud groan!...'groan' being the polite word. Oddly enough, the one beer that he consistently liked was Sam Adams lager. Go figure - well, I like it, too, so what the heck?

Cheers.

That would be me.
Will never get into the craft beer thing, "Chocolate...", "Raspberry..." something, no thanks.
Helles, Dunkles, Pils, Weissbier that's it for me.

OtayBW
08-31-2019, 06:44 PM
That would be me.
Will never get into the craft beer thing, "Chocolate...", "Raspberry..." something, no thanks.
Well, FTR, that doesn't work for me either.

martl
08-31-2019, 07:21 PM
That would be me.

i as rhe Paulaner brewmaster recently said: anyone can make a strawberry beer; but creating a good Weißbier consistently - that's an art"

TheseGoTo11
09-02-2019, 06:55 AM
Left Hand brewing in Longmont, CO makes a kick ass Marzen this time of year for Oktoberfest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1!

Another Front Range favorite of mine is Avery’s imperial Oktoberfest, The Kaiser.

gomango
09-02-2019, 08:12 AM
My wife is Bavarian and her family lives near the Chiemsee and Waginger See areas. Oktoberfest is a special time of the year and we would take the train from Trauenstein to Munich for the celebrations. I clearly remember taking the train into Munich, but the train ride home was a hazy mystery. :)

As for local Twin Cities beer, a Surly Oktoberfest is our favorite. Several cases are stowed in our basement for fall bonfires at our cabin. We hide the car keys of course.

Jeff N.
09-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Paulaner. Hofbrauhaus.

Fivethumbs
09-02-2019, 11:42 PM
I bought a case of the Paulaner from Costco and am enjoying it.

martl
09-03-2019, 04:56 AM
always a good choice

https://cdn1.abendzeitung-muenchen.de/media.media.8c259475-7e58-4c4f-9c0f-9ad0ae55260c.16x9_700.jpg

soulspinner
09-03-2019, 07:59 AM
gotta say i’m not a fan of most octoberfest brews. Most taste like a slightly maltier lager to me.

+1

zap
09-03-2019, 08:54 AM
That would be me.

I'm so over the chocolate stouts, over hopped beers etc.. Kinderspiel.

Some craft brewers in NC and elsewhere brew excellent pilsners. I also enjoy a pint of Kolsch from a small local brewery after a hard ride.

I have not purchased imported german beer in years.

benb
09-03-2019, 09:03 AM
I have to say I really like the Sam Adams Oktoberfest as well.

I really like Marzens. The Sam one is just easy to find and very consistent.

I was in Germany this summer, wasn't in a big city, and the beer was very disappointing based on my high expectations. I'm not sure I think that was a country thing though as I was in Paris and Lucerne as well and it was the same story there.

I think American brewers have kind of taken the crown at this point. We are truly in a golden age.

Was the beer bad in Europe? No, I didn't have any bad beer. It was just mostly boring, practically every place I had a beer had the same 2-3 types of beer and the different beers from different brewers tasted about the same.

redir
09-03-2019, 10:12 AM
Agreed, pumpkin spice in beer deserves a kick in the baws. I like Märzen style straight up.

goonster
09-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Most taste like a slightly maltier lager to me.

That's because . . . they are?

it used to be a "Märzen", today it resembles mostly the "Export" kind.

Had a hard time believing this, but apparently it's true. Interesting, and slightly sad.

For me, in Munich, the answer is generally Augustiner, but of course there are exceptions to confirm the rule, depending on location, some of the styles, etc.

I do not generally buy imported lagers in the U.S., because the subtle things that make those beers so wonderful do not survive the voyage.

Lagers have a tough time in the U.S. craft beer scene because they take up at least three times as much time in the equipment, and aren't nearly as profitable in a market where people line up around the block for a chance to pay $20 for four cans of weird ale from a brand new brewery.

Of course, there are outstanding craft breweries whose owners or brewmasters have a commitment to lagers, and often have trained in Europe. Around here, Victory and Sly Fox are good examples.

Look for the brewery closest to you that either has a decoction kettle, or the brewer can explain, in detail, without referring to notes, why they don't need one.

goonster
09-03-2019, 11:37 AM
i as rhe Paulaner brewmaster recently said: anyone can make a strawberry beer; but creating a good Weißbier consistently - that's an art"

He's not wrong, but this is a perfect example of the traditional German way: Quality, consistency, and doing things properly above everything. Innovate . . . only if we absolutely have to.

Actually, he is wrong in a very specific way. There is only a tiny community of people who can make a true Framboise Lambic, but in the Paulaner guy's view, that is probably barely even "beer".

I was in Germany this summer, wasn't in a big city, and the beer was very disappointing based on my high expectations.

I think American brewers have kind of taken the crown at this point. We are truly in a golden age.

There has been a contraction in the market, quite a bit of hand-wringing about the Brauereisterben, so a lot of areas are now dominated by the mega-brewers, and no longer served by small, family-run breweries.

In general, the German beer market is still very traditional. Very few styles are available beyond the standard lager and wheat beers. The biggest innovation in the last 25 years has been the re-emergence of unfiltered lagers (Zwickl, Kellerbier).

American brewers are unparalleled in terms of creativity and innovation, but Germany still leads the world in equipment and technical education.

I think we are in less of a golden age than a baroque phase, and I'd like a little more consistency.

Jeff N.
09-03-2019, 02:29 PM
I believe STONE Brewing (San Diego) now has a brewery in Berlin.

redir
09-03-2019, 02:41 PM
That's because . . . they are?

Had a hard time believing this, but apparently it's true. Interesting, and slightly sad.

For me, in Munich, the answer is generally Augustiner, but of course there are exceptions to confirm the rule, depending on location, some of the styles, etc.

I do not generally buy imported lagers in the U.S., because the subtle things that make those beers so wonderful do not survive the voyage.

Lagers have a tough time in the U.S. craft beer scene because they take up at least three times as much time in the equipment, and aren't nearly as profitable in a market where people line up around the block for a chance to pay $20 for four cans of weird ale from a brand new brewery.

Of course, there are outstanding craft breweries whose owners or brewmasters have a commitment to lagers, and often have trained in Europe. Around here, Victory and Sly Fox are good examples.

Look for the brewery closest to you that either has a decoction kettle, or the brewer can explain, in detail, without referring to notes, why they don't need one.

In Virginia we have Devils Backbone brewery that makes what they call
Vienna Lager. It's pretty good IMHO. I bet you could get that in PA. They also sponsor cycling events too.

Gsinill
09-03-2019, 02:46 PM
Gordon Biersch Märzen is my favorite beer brewed in the US.

choke
09-03-2019, 02:55 PM
Helles, Dunkles, Pils, Weissbier that's it for me.No Kölsch? One of my local stores just started carrying Früh and I was very happy to see that, having spent a couple of years in Bonn.

goonster
09-03-2019, 03:31 PM
I believe STONE Brewing (San Diego) now has a brewery in Berlin.

Not any more. (https://www.stonebrewing.com/blog/venues/2019/farewell-stone-brewing-berlin#ageGatePassed)

In Virginia we have Devils Backbone brewery

I used to work in Elkton, have been there, and they are definitely one of the breweries with a strong commitment to lagers. They even have a decoction kettle!

No Kölsch?

It's a cheap dig, but I like to say there is a reason that Kölsch never caught on elsewhere in Germany.

zap
09-03-2019, 04:31 PM
edit

I think we are in less of a golden age than a baroque phase, and I'd like a little more consistency.

Agreed, more consistency. I had to return a few bad bottles. But what's cool is the local breweries always give me an extra just bottled and correct 6 pack as compensation. :banana:

Have yet to have Kolsch in Germany. Never spent enough time in the Koln area.

martl
09-03-2019, 06:09 PM
No Kölsch? One of my local stores just started carrying Früh and I was very happy to see that, having spent a couple of years in Bonn.

i rather like Kölsxh.

Gsinill
09-05-2019, 10:12 AM
Wife brought those home yesterday from her Costco run.
First year they carry HB as far as I remember.
They had Spaten as well, I will that pick up next time.

https://i.postimg.cc/qMpf2qJP/8-OK3imo1-T0y-T5-KHMo2-Hy-OQ.jpg

zap
09-05-2019, 10:36 AM
Spaten in Germany tastes great. Imported to the USA Spaten, not so much.

Gsinill
09-05-2019, 11:02 AM
Spaten in Germany tastes great. Imported to the USA Spaten, not so much.

The Okoberfest one? I actually like it.
Not going to compare German vs. US versions...

BobC
09-24-2019, 05:35 AM
So far my favorite thus far has been a surprise:
Shiner Octoberfest!

For the local SE VA folks, my favorite has been St George's (they are out of Williamsburg)

This week lots more selections should be coming out. At least I hope so.

martl
09-24-2019, 06:32 AM
tested for you on site: :D

The Löwenbräu is very nice this year and lacks the bitter note it had the last few years. Recommended!

martl
04-21-2020, 02:21 AM
The Munich Oktoberfest 2020 has officially been cancelled, the first time since WW2, as the mayor of Munich and the Prime Minister of Bavaria have announced today at a press conference.

Jeff N.
04-21-2020, 07:36 AM
Paulaner.

BobC
04-21-2020, 03:12 PM
The Munich Oktoberfest 2020 has officially been cancelled, the first time since WW2, as the mayor of Munich and the Prime Minister of Bavaria have announced today at a press conference.

The first REAL sign of the Apocalypse.

martl
04-21-2020, 03:16 PM
The first REAL sign of the Apocalypse.

for us Münchner, that's as close to it as it gets, yeah.