PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Giving a bike to my future son-in-law

Elefantino
08-30-2019, 04:42 PM
I have a crisis of conscience. My future son-in-law and my daughter have agreed that if she takes golf lessons (which she has), he will start riding. She has a Ridley and loves the road. He is almost my height; a couple of inches shorter.

I have choices but I'm unsure. I could give him:

a) My Serotta Legend in blue and yellow colorway (the colors of the school where he's pursuing his doctorate), with gold Shamals
b) My recently built Fuji SL, which weighs in at 15.6 pounds, with Oval carbons
c) My 89 Bianchi Giro, restomodded with modern Campy and Open Pro/Chorus
d) My Look 585, which actually fits him perfectly but is, well, a Look 585, currently wearing AC 350s.

The Corsa Extra and Serotta Fierte IT are off-limits. I love my future son-in-law but those will only change hands in the will.

I don't know what to do about this first-world problem.

:confused::confused::confused:

bigbill
08-30-2019, 04:47 PM
Two days ago my son told me he had borrowed a bike and tried out for the cycling team at Annapolis and made it. I have 5 road bikes but he's 3" shorter than me and knows nothing about maintaining a bike, he's just freakishly strong aerobically. The only frame I could build up to fit him is the "wall art", a 1993 US Team True Temper GT (Nobilette). So, no to that. Lynskey has a good sale going on. He'll probably get something light and shiny.

jtakeda
08-30-2019, 04:58 PM
I don’t think you should give him one of your bikes. What if they don’t fit or he doesn’t like it and then then gesture is too kind because he knows it’s your personal bike and then he begrudgingly keeps it and now you’re out a bike and he’s too embarrassed to tell you it’s not a good fit....

(Run on sentence is for effect)

jtbadge
08-30-2019, 04:59 PM
I don’t think you should give him one of your bikes. What if they don’t fit or he doesn’t like it and then then gesture is too kind because he knows it’s your personal bike and then he begrudgingly keeps it and now you’re out a bike and he’s too embarrassed to tell you it’s not a good fit....

+1. I'd find a frame (or complete bike) that would actually fit properly and give it a good build and tune up.

joosttx
08-30-2019, 05:14 PM
I would buy him a nice new bike instead of a hand-me-down.

yinzerniner
08-30-2019, 05:22 PM

100% on this. Maybe a Canyon, as they're running a pretty decent sale right now and they can be returned no questions asked.

Or from a local store which has a return policy similar to that. I know REI's doing a big sale right now with decent Cannondales available.

weaponsgrade
08-30-2019, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't introduce someone to new to riding on a pure road bike with its skinny tires, twitchy handling, narrow bars, and bar/saddle drop. I made that mistake once and the bike hasn't been ridden in years. I'd either get him something new or find something on CL to fix up. Maybe one of those worthless rim-brake CX things, set it up with 32s, and a riser bar.

Ralph
08-30-2019, 05:32 PM
IMHO it's not reasonable to expect him to have same feelings of appreciation of one of your bikes like you do. Or maintain it to your standards. So potential for hard feelings, or disappointment on your part. I have learned not to give my kids anything of mine I'm even slightly attached to. They won't have same feeling for it.

So if me.....I would take him to a bike shop, and let him pick out a new bike...and I would pay for it. Then it's his....and he can ride it and maintain it any way he wants. You are not emotionally involved in the bike.

FlashUNC
08-30-2019, 05:41 PM
Two days ago my son told me he had borrowed a bike and tried out for the cycling team at Annapolis and made it. I have 5 road bikes but he's 3" shorter than me and knows nothing about maintaining a bike, he's just freakishly strong aerobically. The only frame I could build up to fit him is the "wall art", a 1993 US Team True Temper GT (Nobilette). So, no to that. Lynskey has a good sale going on. He'll probably get something light and shiny.

Raced against quite a few of the Naval Academy guys back in my ACCC days. Strong dudes and good sports all around. Didn't much like the time I started singing Anchors Aweigh while I was in a break with two of them, but had to get into their heads somehow rather than just let them ride away with things.

100% this. Go do it together and it'll be something he's more invested in.

Tickdoc
08-30-2019, 05:43 PM

*not too nice, tho. ;)

kiwisimon
08-30-2019, 05:52 PM
New bike from an LBS and let them take are of it. Then as a 10 yr anniversary present if he is still riding look at your stable again.

jtakeda
08-30-2019, 06:04 PM
To add to my comments above, If my girlfriends dad decided to be so kind as to give me one of his bikes I’d be on his only bike, a recumbent, and I’d feel guilty if I rode my Dave Kirk instead

Matthew
08-30-2019, 06:07 PM
I'll be the jerk. I wouldn't give him anything. He obviously doesn't want to ride if he has to start by coercion. She does this, I'll do that. Especially your nice bikes. Nope. If he wants to ride he can buy his own damn bike.

makoti
08-30-2019, 06:13 PM
I'll be the jerk. I wouldn't give him anything. He obviously doesn't want to ride if he has to start by coercion. She does this, I'll do that. Especially your nice bikes. Nope. If he wants to ride he can buy his own damn bike.

Yep. I'd go help you pick one out & give advice, if you want it, but she did her part, you do yours.

Unless he's drooled over one of those (unlikely, since he doesn't ride, so most likely a bike is a bike to him), I wouldn't part with one.

joosttx
08-30-2019, 06:13 PM
*not too nice, tho. ;)

You are right. I think others have explained the potential feelings he could have better than I.

peanutgallery
08-30-2019, 06:39 PM
Just get him an aluminum Diverge

If he's not dyed in the wool roadie, why make him suffer on a treasure that he has no idea about what it is...all while dodging cars? It's like gifting someone a 10 year old Nordica Doberman ski/boot combo and then wondering why the hate to ski. Plus, the road is a special breed...what if rail trails, parks and dirt roads are more his speed? Easy sell for a couple time a month rider. All about doing family stuff, right. Easier if it's fun, I keep a cheap one around to get people involved if they want to check it out.

For a K or less, quality aluminum frame, relexed/forgiving geo, carbon fork, wider tires/rims. Cable disc, so you can doctor up the drivetrain from the parts bin if you want. If you rope him into a road thing every now and again, slap on a 700x25 tire. If it sticks, cross that bridge

Go the full experience, no canyons or motobecanes. Take him to a good shop and get him on the correct bike and a proper fit. Shoes, lid, pedal situation, shorts etc, etc. Turnabout is fair play, your daughter probably went thru the same process for golf equipment, lessons and outfits

Make sure he has fun, buy him a beer afterwards

weisan
08-30-2019, 07:17 PM
what happens when your daughter loses her interest in golf?

mhespenheide
08-30-2019, 08:44 PM
d) My Look 585, which actually fits him perfectly but is, well, a Look 585, currently wearing AC 350s.

No, no, no. The 585 is off the table unless it stays in the Paceline family. :no:

;)

soulspinner
08-31-2019, 05:52 AM
I have a crisis of conscience. My future son-in-law and my daughter have agreed that if she takes golf lessons (which she has), he will start riding. She has a Ridley and loves the road. He is almost my height; a couple of inches shorter.

I have choices but I'm unsure. I could give him:

a) My Serotta Legend in blue and yellow colorway (the colors of the school where he's pursuing his doctorate), with gold Shamals
b) My recently built Fuji SL, which weighs in at 15.6 pounds, with Oval carbons
c) My 89 Bianchi Giro, restomodded with modern Campy and Open Pro/Chorus

The Corsa Extra and Serotta Fierte IT are off-limits. I love my future son-in-law but those will only change hands in the will.

I don't know what to do about this first-world problem.

:confused::confused::confused:

Give him the Look and tell him if he stops riding its back at your house.

soulspinner
08-31-2019, 05:53 AM
No, no, no. The 585 is off the table unless it stays in the Paceline family. :no:

;)

now now....family first;)

Nomadmax
08-31-2019, 05:57 AM

I'm with him ^

At BEST, I'd point him to a CL bike that fits or can be made to fit. That way when it's hanging upside down in the garage you aren't out a nice bike.

Veloo
08-31-2019, 06:05 AM

+1 more.

I don't think anyone is a jerk for thinking this.
As a PL'er I think you're just orders of magnitude more excited about the idea than your son-in-law is.

I'd only offer to help him shop for a bike. When he starts registering with Strava, then Zwift, buys shoes/ pedals and moves into some race fit kits then you can start considering spending your money on a better ride for him.

oldpotatoe
08-31-2019, 08:12 AM
I have a crisis of conscience. My future son-in-law and my daughter have agreed that if she takes golf lessons (which she has), he will start riding.

Who paid for the golf lessons? Does he have to get one of your bikes? Will your daughter get some of your wife's(or whomever) golf clubs?

I say, let him do the leg-work..get a decent bike fit and thence get a bike..

tv_vt
08-31-2019, 08:22 AM
And what happens if the bike you gave him gets stolen...?

New/used bike of his own is way to go. Sounds like your daughter knows a thing or two about bikes. Make sure he ends up with something she'd be OK staring at while riding with him! She could probably help him find something that could work. A cool used steel frame with modern components might be a good entry vehicle to the sport.

Elefantino
08-31-2019, 08:52 AM
Tough crowd. Tough crowd.

My daughter has gotten one of his mom's (really nice) set of golf clubs. Giving him one of my bikes was her idea and he's enthusiastic about it.

TBH, he really wants the Legend, which with a shorter stem fits him fine. (I'm 6-4 1/2; he's 6-3). He has ridden it several times (with flats, although he now has a pair of Birk carbon road shoes) when I've swapped the stem and enjoys it.

Regardless, it's a good problem to have!

SoCalSteve
08-31-2019, 08:57 AM

My daughter has gotten one of his mom's (really nice) set of golf clubs. Giving him one of my bikes was her idea and he's enthusiastic about it.

TBH, he really wants the Legend, which with a shorter stem fits him fine. (I'm 6-4 1/2; he's 6-3). He has ridden it several times (with flats, although he now has a pair of Birk carbon road shoes) when I've swapped the stem and enjoys it.

I know of a Serotta Ottrott with ETap that would fit him quite nicely.

Just sayin’

bjf
08-31-2019, 09:52 AM

In this case, I'd say give him the Legend. I have a couple, and love them, but they are not impossible to replace. Plus if he likes it, the chances of success are better.

Mzilliox
08-31-2019, 09:59 AM
one of the top 2, the serotta or the fuji. if you give it away you can always get it back if its never being used. i love the idea and its cool you are in a place to do this for your daughter and son in law.

you are family, if you cant be honest with family... nm

stien
08-31-2019, 11:07 AM
Give him the Look and tell him if he stops riding its back at your house.

This is very key.

93KgBike
08-31-2019, 11:09 AM
I'll admit that my first impulse after reading the original post was to make a mental draft of a very dirty Rodney Dangerfield/Mantan Moreland style joke...

But my father-in-law has been amazing, so I really relate to your impulse...

My advice is, give him the Legend; you and his mother are passing a torch - the two of you are giving them a piece of history, you are giving him a slice of the personal vitality that you've drawn from life. A Serotta embodies the personal, physical, vital relationship we form with sport and its tools.

The other bikes do as well, and are excellent in their own right, but as the old Serotta tag line for the Legend went, it is simply the best.

And if he doesn't ride it, or ride it enough, leave it alone and don't forget he's going to help give you grandchildren.

Polyglot
08-31-2019, 11:21 AM
I offered a 1937 Bianchi roadster that has been in my wife's family since new to my daughter for her SO, with the proviso that she had to explain the personal ties to the bike. She was super happy to get the offer because she felt that he had therefore received the paternal seal of approval for her boyfriend but said that it would be lost on him and it would be better to go with a CL bike.

Elefantino
08-31-2019, 01:28 PM
and don't forget he's going to help give you grandchildren.
:banana::banana::banana:

gasman
08-31-2019, 02:12 PM
I'd give him whatever bike you feel you could part with and accept he may end up riding it minimally or never.

I gave my son an old Cannondale killer V mtn bike that I converted to a commuter with slicks. I think he has ridden it maybe a dozen times in the last several years so it sits in his garage. I miss the bike but it's his to do with what he wants so it's all good.

homagesilkhope
08-31-2019, 03:27 PM
I offered a 1937 Bianchi roadster that has been in my wife's family since new to my daughter for her SO, with the proviso that she had to explain the personal ties to the bike. She was super happy to get the offer because she felt that he had therefore received the paternal seal of approval for her boyfriend but said that it would be lost on him and it would be better to go with a CL bike.

Smart girl!

mtechnica
08-31-2019, 03:59 PM
Buy his ass a $400 Allez from Craigslist, he’s not going to appreciate one of your good bikes.

robertbb
08-31-2019, 04:53 PM
Geez, wish I had a guy like you as a father in law.

My girlfriend's father's a toxic, malignant, pathological, grandiose narcissist currently being sued in the supreme court...... for fraud.

weisan
08-31-2019, 05:19 PM
My girlfriend's father's a toxic, malignant, pathological, grandiose narcissist currently being sued in the supreme court...... for fraud.

Does he ever take to tweeting?

Just trying to narrow it down a bit.

Ken Robb
08-31-2019, 06:02 PM
Can you let him ride all your bikes and maybe choose one to borrow to see if he wants to continue riding? That way he wouldn't feel too much pressure to continue if he hates riding.

joosttx
08-31-2019, 06:06 PM

dude, that is impressive. not all narcissists get an audience with the supreme court. he must be loving it.

vqdriver
08-31-2019, 08:39 PM
This
Buy him a new bike from the lbs commensurate with his interest/ability level

cmbicycles
08-31-2019, 08:54 PM
Does he ever take to tweeting?

Just trying to narrow it down a bit.Nice. ;)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Nomadmax
09-01-2019, 05:17 AM
Who paid for the golf lessons? Does he have to get one of your bikes? Will your daughter get some of your wife's(or whomever) golf clubs?

I say, let him do the leg-work..get a decent bike fit and thence get a bike..

You said "leg-work" :)

oldpotatoe
09-01-2019, 11:19 AM

Are you Rob Mechanic?:eek:

54ny77
09-01-2019, 11:51 AM
I take it that means he's not going to gift you a custom Vanilla with etap. :banana:

And as others said, it take a particular individual (as you described) to land at the big show.

doomridesout
09-01-2019, 05:14 PM
What's the case name? These things have to have some unique case facts to wind up all the way up at SCOTUS.

It's almost like a brush with a celebrity...