PDA

View Full Version : OT: fine watches

Avispa
12-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Well, we've talked about wines, beer, guns, women on the furm, etc.

Let's talk about watches. These nice pieces of jewelry that we so admire...

I once had a very old Omega that my grand father used. He did not take good care of it and it is now, not good.

Personally, I have strated to collect Omegas, not that I have too many; watches are pricey like Serottas. I like the Seamasters, with the exception of the models they have cannibalized like the classic "James Bond" one. The original looks good, but the current models look as if they have been made for children.

I've heard that many other brands like Breitling are just no good... But this is not my personal opinion. I am a novice watch connosieur.

Tell us about your watches.

ergott
12-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Mine takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

atmo
12-20-2006, 09:14 AM
atmo

Xyzzy
12-20-2006, 09:17 AM
I don't even own a watch, but someday...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=18555&stc=1

Kevan
12-20-2006, 09:19 AM
always neutral.

Grant McLean
12-20-2006, 09:20 AM

Sandy
12-20-2006, 09:25 AM
always neutral.

I didn't even know that you could tell time. :)

Father Time

Kevan
12-20-2006, 09:28 AM
I didn't even know that you could tell time. :)

Father Time

why don't cha?

dbrk
12-20-2006, 09:29 AM
"Fine" watches evoke many of the same responses and feelings as "fine" bicycles. Why do I think that?

Is a fine watch one that tells the most accurate time and is the best bargain for the money? Do we leave the cost out as a matter of Who Cares? (Most discussions of money and bicycles or even watches end up with political or even matters of personal disdain, envy, the usual human issues regarding have/less/more/value/better spent/charity imperatives/green, you name it, etc. Most watch sites simply will not allow the conversation to turn to costs, prices, or money at all. Bless them, I say, because it's just not going to end well.) Does a watch have to "perform" (tell the time, etc. accurately) to be "better"?

NO mechanical watch is as accurate as a carbon fiber...errr...quartz watch. The prices of these "less-performing" mechanical watches are greater by significant factors. The "performance" of a bicycle, however, is less a feature of the machine (we're talkin' closer apples to apples, say steel to carbon) than of the rider while the watch "works" or not. All of these things strike me as obvious.

I would rather have a mechanical watch than a quartz. I would rather give up the performance "advantages" of Ergo/STI for the elegance and simplicity of down tube shifters and, yes, friction. I would rather have a watch I enjoy owning more and tells reasonable stories about time than one that is more accurate. If I ever need to be _that_ accurate in timing or _that_ performance oriented on a bicycle, then I don't really want to be wherever "there" is. For me, form and function need not be separated and I prefer the form of certain bicycles over their putative function advantages. I also think that everyone should love their own preferences and, obviously, respect those of others: difference is good! diversity is not conformity nor does it require agreement! ymmv!

That said, I like Panerai for my everyday watch and Breguet for a dress watch. I really like Dornbleuth and, if I were wealthy, I'd like an A. Lange and Sohne 1815 or even a Dufour. Are these watches really "worth" their price? Only you can decide. Our pal Catulle knows a lot about the watch industry, the way some folks here know about the bicycle industry and not all of it is pretty, for _sure_. Is there a lot of rip off? Of course! Folks spend their money as they like and like what they like. I like it when everyone shares what they like 'cause I like to see what others prefer. Cyclers could learn a lot from the watch lovers about civility, just as the watch lovers could be a little more willing to talk openly about cost, value, and preferences.

dbrk

Avispa
12-20-2006, 09:30 AM
atmo

Bro, not a watch with the arrow head logo? C'mon!

Grant McLean
12-20-2006, 09:33 AM
NO mechanical watch is as accurate as a carbon fiber...errr...quartz watch. The prices of these "less-performing" mechanical watches are greater by significant factors. The "performance" of a bicycle, however, is less a feature of the machine (we're talkin' closer apples to apples, say steel to carbon) than of the rider while the watch "works" or not. All of these things strike me as obvious.

I would rather have a mechanical watch than a quartz. I would rather give up the performance "advantages" of Ergo/STI for the elegance and simplicity of down tube shifters and, yes, friction. I would rather have a watch I enjoy owning more and tells reasonable stories about time than one that is more accurate. If I ever need to be _that_ accurate in timing or _that_ performance oriented on a bicycle, then I don't really want to be wherever "there" is. For me, form and function need not be separated and I prefer the form of certain bicycles over their putative function advantages.

dbrk

just a guess... you don't buy your watches based on how much they weigh?

:)

g

Avispa
12-20-2006, 09:36 AM
....Most watch sites simply will not allow the conversation to turn to costs, prices, or money at all. Bless them, I say, because it's just not going to end well.)....

I wish we did the same here on the forum, don't you?

....Our pal Catulle knows a lot about the watch industry, the way some folks here know about the bicycle industry...

Catulle, your turn bro!

Thanks for the words DBRK

Matt Barkley
12-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Great post DBRK. I really don't want to be "there" either. There needs to be art - and passion with the skill (of the craftsmem as well as the user.) :beer: - Matt (not wearing a watch, but sadly carrying the cell phone as timekeeper)

DRZRM
12-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Well said DBRK, I'm a fan of mechanical watches, my current favorite is attached. I agree with Avisa about Omegas, but I'm drawn towards the Speedmasters instead of Seamasters (though I do like the new Planet Ocean Chronograph).

DBRK I always wanted to like those Panarais more, but something does not quite do it for me, I'm more of a IWC, Sinn, Omega guy.

djg
12-20-2006, 10:01 AM
There's fine and there's fine.

I have the following, which are all fine in their way as far as I'm concerned (even though none of them, including the manufacture watch, is a collector's item or horlogical masterpiece): (1) Girard-Perregaux automatic chronometer in steel, with a gold bezzle, on a croc band--it's really more a dressy doctor's watch than a true dress watch, but I use it as a dress watch and, occasionally, for the office or this or that; (2) Omega Seamaster in stainless, with a stainless bracelet--this is my everyday watch and oft-times sport watch; (3) a Nike Oregon quartz thing with a rubber band for more sporty sport watching still (I didn't need it, but I kinda like it and Costco had them pretty cheap).

Erik.Lazdins
12-20-2006, 10:05 AM
When I got my first watch as a seven year old at Christmas, I liked to hear it tick.
The sound of ticking never got old, and my appreciation for the skill required to build a watch grew.
Not that a quartz watch is cheating, its just a choice I don't make.
I'm lucky to have 3 automatic watches and would most likely have a few more if I didn't share this passion with bikes.

92degrees
12-20-2006, 10:07 AM
KISS. ATMO

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/1837549/0/nouser_1837/T0_-1_1837549.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1837549)

PanTerra
12-20-2006, 10:41 AM
http://www.futurefarmers.com/survey/images/watch/cloth230.jpg

Ozz
12-20-2006, 11:04 AM

My Dad has an A. Lange & Sohne pocket watch (gold, engraved face, quarter-repeater) that his uncle gave him...it's probably from the 1930's. I have not seen it for awhile as it's locked away in a safe deposit box.

Very cool watches...nice they got the factory back up & running after the wall came down.

I have to make do with a Tag...my wife has a Concord.. ;)

catulle
12-20-2006, 11:19 AM
I agree 100% with Dr. D's comments (excepting that I know a lot about anything at all). I would say, though, that the extraordinary surplus of money in certain parts of the world has prostituted somewhat the watch houses. That is, now days, many people in many places worldwide are willing to pay any amount of money for just about anything they deem worthy (Art, jewelry, homes, cars, yachts, watches...); therefore, Swiss watch manufacturers, like many others, are rushing to reap from the bonanza. As a result, the market is saturated with sub-standard products being sold at extraordinary prices.

Patek Philippe, for instance, some four or five years ago moved to an immense new installation just outside of Geneva in order to increase its production from some fifteen thousand watches a year to close to fifty thousand presently. I had three of their best seller annual calendar (Ref. 5035), all bought new from the authorized dealer in Washington, DC, and all three were defective. Of course, with typical Patek Philippe arrogance, they would not return my money nor provide me with a new watch. The first watch spent almost a year going back and forth from the US to Geneva and was never fixed properly. The dealer had to give me a new watch from his own stock, and that watch never worked properly either. The third 5035 couldn't keep proper time either and I sold it (I sold it to a gray market dealer who perfectly knew that the watch could not keep time because I told him.) I can relate stories like this until I'd put you to sleep. Actually, when I visited the Patek Philippe factory, my tour guide who was the head watchmaker trainer, an Oriental guy, was candid and honest enough to tell me that indeed the 315 movement on the annual calendar was giving them a great deal of problems.

Actually, while visiting parts manufacturers like Golay and others throughout the Jura, the consensus was that the one manufacturer sticking to the most rigorous standards in terms of parts specs and manufacturing procedures was Rolex. Of course, snobs look down upon Rolex because they issue almost a million watches a year, and because they don't cost an arm and a leg.

A great deal of the allure of mechanical watches rests in the complications because they are indeed fantastic works of micromechanics. And there are some wonderful complicated watches being made. But they are few and far between. The manufacturers are too busy churning out expensive watches in order to rush them to the hands of so many people who don't know what to do with so much money. I notice that the trend now is two tourbillons instead of just one, that's something that I find patently absurd.

In few words, not all that glitters is gold. The tradition of the talented watchmaker craftsman sitting by his window while Holstein cows graze in the snow remains in certain places but now under the corporate whip of Richemont (who made their money selling cigarettes), or Mr. Hayek (a financier.) There are a few lone rangers doing great work. However, if you tell a dyed-in-the-wool watchmaker that you payed forty thousand dollars for one of Dufour's Simplicities, he'll laugh you right out of his bench. I think Philippe is a great guy, you'll like him better if you like to drink wine and shoot the bull, and his work is wonderful, but we are talking about a simple hand-wound watch with three hands.

I've made a little money buying and selling watches but I no longer do so. I keep a few watches (including some Patek Philippe) that have some meaning for me because they've shared important segments of my life, but that's all. I guess you better not know how hot-dogs are made.

Climb01742
12-20-2006, 11:27 AM
the mrs gave me a rolex explorer II for my birthday. and my other "fine" watch is a panerai. both are very simple, and i hope, understated.

terry b
12-20-2006, 11:31 AM
This one is by far my favorite. I wear it whenever I travel and of course it gets a regular day once a week in the general rotation.

I also own an Omega Seamaster Chrono, an Omega Dynamic, a couple of Tag SeLs, two Baume et Mercier Capelands, a 1950s rose gold Baume et Mercier chrono, a Fortis PVD Fleigerchronograph and a Revue Thommen Airspeed. I like watches about as much as I like bikes.

On the short list - Blancpain, Breguet, a Carerra and a Choppard Mille. One of these days....

YO!!!
12-20-2006, 11:34 AM
I have a 100+ year old Vacheron Constantin pocketwatch.
Still keeps great time. I start each morning by winding it...
very sensual.

Catulle's view of the "high-end" watch business is spot on.
BTW...Dufour knows how to keep things tickin'.

TriJim
12-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Breitling for Bentley as shown and an Aerospace for more casual wear.

CarbonCycles
12-20-2006, 12:56 PM

SoCalSteve
12-20-2006, 01:04 PM
I've owned a few high end watches and either they were in the shop more than on my wrist or I wore them only on special occasions and couldnt see justifying the expense to keep them around....

I also own a Rolex SS Submariner. Ive owned it since 1999 and its never been off my wrist (unless to shower, sleep and a couple other things). I paid around $3,000.00 for it. They now go for over $5,000.00.

I think Catulle is right on in his perceptions of the high end watch industry.

Steve

chuckred
12-20-2006, 01:07 PM
I have an old gold Movado that was my grandfather's. Had it refurbished, looks like new, beautiful.

I also have an Omega Speedmaster - about 7 years old... fogged up on a ride a couple of weeks ago. Took it into Omega for repair - they wanted $850 to service the chronograph, replace the hands, dials and crystal. I ended up doing the chrono only - to the tune of $450. Ouch!

Fine watches are nice, but you got to recognize them as an inferior product (they don't keep better time, they don't weigh less, they don't do anything better than a quartz) that is a pure vanity purchase. At least with steel vs. carbon vs. ti you can argue the merits of one vs. the other.

JonnyComeLately
12-20-2006, 01:15 PM
I've heard that many other brands like Breitling are just no good.

What's the matter with Breitling? No good in terms of what?

catulle
12-20-2006, 01:29 PM
I like the Explorer II for traveling holidays. The 24hr hand comes, errr, handy (?). Oh well, the 24hr hand is practical. I also like the Explorer II with white dial because all other Rolex sport watches (excepting the Daytona) have black dials. My daughter loves the Daytona even though it is quite large for her (fashion notwithstanding).

Climb01742
12-20-2006, 01:36 PM
my explorer II has the white face. silver body/band and white face seemed like the "quietest" rolex. purely a personal thing but some rolexes seem, uh, er, well, a bit loud.

PanTerra
12-20-2006, 01:40 PM
I like the Explorer II for traveling holidays. The 24hr hand comes, errr, handy (?). Oh well, the 24hr hand is practical. I also like the Explorer II with white dial because all other Rolex sport watches (excepting the Daytona) have black dials. My daughter loves the Daytona even though it is quite large for her (fashion notwithstanding).

Why are your windows fogging up?

CarbonCycles
12-20-2006, 01:43 PM
I still can't get over how fast the prices of daytonas are going up every few months...I should have picked one up last year with hindsight!

FxdGrMind
12-20-2006, 01:45 PM
I can't wear a nice watch....

Mine's a Stainless Timex (stainless band)

Takes a liking and keeps on Ticking! A little scratched... ok maybe more than a little. But it keeps good time and that's all I care about.

Nice watches though. I just can't see myself owning one, just to ding up.

Cheers

catulle
Why are your windows fogging up?

Because I live in the tropics and the room has air-conditioning while outside is hot and humid. I meant to say something else about Scarlett taking a nap or something but I don't want to get thrown out of the forum. :no:

dauwhe
What would be the Fierte of the mechanical watch world? Or even the Kogswell?

Dave, gettin' a little tired of Casio plastic...

catulle
12-20-2006, 01:47 PM
I can't wear a nice watch....

Mine's a Stainless Timex (stainless band)

Takes a liking and keeps on Ticking! A little scratched... ok maybe more than a little. But it keeps good time and that's all I care about.

Nice watches though. I just can't see myself owning one, just to ding up.

Cheers

You're smart and your mental health is in great shape, atmo.

Jeff N.
12-20-2006, 01:48 PM
The Omega Seamaster Professional Chronometer, in titanium and rose gold, is still the best looking watch out there, IMO. jeff N.

Erik.Lazdins
12-20-2006, 01:48 PM
I still can't get over how fast the prices of daytonas are going up every few months...I should have picked one up last year with hindsight!

The Daytona has been in scarce supply since I started looking at them in the early 1990's. The stainless version the most scarce of all albeit the most elegant in my opinion.

gt6267a
12-20-2006, 01:58 PM
atmo

i bought a black swatch with white face this summer while in switzerland. it is very simple and nice. i get compliments from time to time, punn intended, and people are shocked when i reveal that its a swatch.

one thing i have noticed about many of the highend brands is the weight/size. my friend's iwc is large and heavy. the swatch is super light and i love that. i am sure there are fine watch makers making thin and light watches. which ones?

catulle
12-20-2006, 02:07 PM
i bought a black swatch with white face this summer while in switzerland. it is very simple and nice. i get compliments from time to time, punn intended, and people are shocked when i reveal that its a swatch.

one thing i have noticed about many of the highend brands is the weight/size. my friend's iwc is large and heavy. the swatch is super light and i love that. i am sure there are fine watch makers making thin and light watches. which ones?

There was a time when super thin movements were a complication of sorts. That is, the main houses would struggle to make nice thin watches. To this day the big boys (Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, Jaeger leCoultre...) offer ultra-thin references. However, today fashion dictates that watches must be huge and ugly as hell; so the big boys (and the little ones) make many of those too.

billrick
12-20-2006, 02:35 PM
I also like the Explorer II with white dial because all other Rolex sport watches (excepting the Daytona) have black dials.

I knew I liked you, Catulle! I agree 100%. That is the exact watch that is on my wrist right now.

(And thanks for the very informative post.)

:)

gt6267a
12-20-2006, 02:37 PM
There was a time when super thin movements were a complication of sorts. That is, the main houses would struggle to make nice thin watches. To this day the big boys (Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, Jaeger leCoultre...) offer ultra-thin references. However, today fashion dictates that watches must be huge and ugly as hell; so the big boys (and the little ones) make many of those too.

i 100% agree with the section in bold. two qualities that are important to me are thin and light. are there any standouts in the under $3k range? there is some talk in the family of a watch gift so i am researching. thanks, keith.

Xyzzy
12-20-2006, 02:46 PM
i 100% agree with the section in bold. two qualities that are important to me are thin and light. are there any standouts in the under $3k range? there is some talk in the family of a watch gift so i am researching. thanks, keith.
Possibly a Minerva Pythagore? I haven't priced watches in a couple years but they used to be in my range so that is pretty inexpensive. That was about when L&S 1815s were around $8k, for reference.

http://www.timezone.com/library/tzints/tzints0006

Frustration
12-20-2006, 02:47 PM
I was just given an Oris skeleton Williams F-1 Auto day date as a gift. The store it came from is an extremely knowledgable place and the man was pretty quick to say that although Oris costs are far lower, he prefers them to OMEGA...

I have two IWC, an ingenieur Chrono that's been bomb proof and a GST Automatic Alarm. Both also gifts.

Honestly, unlike bike stuff, I wouldn't spend this kind of money on something that simply tells the time. But I really like all three, and the Oris is a well made bargain (everything's relative...) based on quality of movement / complication.

catulle
12-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Possibly a Minerva Pythagore? I haven't priced watches in a couple years but they used to be in my range so that is pretty inexpensive. That was about when L&S 1815s were around $8k, for reference.

I have two of those in 34mm. However, the Frei family sold the company some four years ago and those watches are no longer made (the Pythagore, I mean). You might find one in "pre-owned" condition, and it should go for $1200 to $2000. No, I'm not selling mine. :no:

whippettanker
12-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Note sure.

But this is the Seiko of bicycles...

http://kogswell.com/images/CPR.jpg
Kogswell P/R

saab2000
12-20-2006, 03:15 PM
I own a Breitling B1. It has been incredibly, improbably accurate over the 6 years or so I have owned it. It was a gift from the former Mrs. Saab2000. It needs a new band.

I like it because of its source (Switzerland) and because it was a gift from my wife.

I also like it because it is durable, reliable, accurate, has a GMT/Zulu time function (which is actually useful, not just a gimmick) and looks good.

I never thought I would own such a thing but consider myself fortunate to be able to.

Except for a possible Timex Ironman, I will likely never own another non-Swiss watch. They are the standard of the world AFAIAC.

dauwhe
12-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Not sure.

But this is the Seiko of bicycles...

http://kogswell.com/images/CPR.jpg

Now that is a fantastic bike!!! My favorite P/R so far, by far!

Dave

whippettanker
12-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Now that is a fantastic bike!!! My favorite P/R so far, by far!

Dave

Ed does nice work.

So does Seiko.

jckid
12-20-2006, 03:44 PM
This is my watch--a Movado SE. It's not as "fine" as some of the other watches mentioned here, but it's my favorite.

d_douglas
12-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Much to say, but too little time.

First off, I wear a $40 Timex. Ya gotta love the cheap and tough.
(some people would say that describes me too, I guess)

Secondly, I love watches and have 'expensive tastes'. I also know a bit about watches.

Thirdly, I live in Geneva, the watch making capital of the world.

Fourthly, I know a watch designer (who just quit as he was disillusioned with the industry and design in general) and he offered his opinions on this very topic.

Fifthly (ha ha) my riding tends to be out in the periphery of Geneva where many of the larger scale watch makers are located. These companies have some serious dough, if you can judge then by their offices. As an architect, there are some pretty fancy and high end facilities lodged out there in the countryside. Of note: Rolex's admin headquarters is close to my house, but their manu facilities are in an outlying area and they are in a freakin' massive and scary black toned glass menagerie. Think Darth Vader, or the scariest, meanest looking highrise building in Manhattan and make it 8 stories tall rather than 60 stories. Ugly.

The guy that I know designs automatic and quartz timepieces, but said that the vast majority of movements are generic (ie., commonly manufactured and used widely throughout the industry) He said that brands that make him happy include Patek Philippe, Breguet, Jaeger le Coultre, Roger Dubuis and FP Journe.

Bear in mind that he was very cynical and skeptical of the industry, rather bumming me out because, like bikes, I love to discuss the aesthetic and technical detailing that goes into many of these masterpieces. Brands like Rolex, Omega, Tag Heuer, Panerai, etc., elicited little more than a sniff (between cigarettes, as we were drowning in smoke in a restaurant!)

Nevertheless, it was interesting because be pointed out the ability of a few manufacturers to continually impress and innovate. He particularly like the modern work of JLC and marvels at PP because of their history (the Patek Philippe museum is ASTONISHING here and he would stop there for inspiration when stuck for ideas) and for full out technical wizardry, FP Journe was the master, but at a huge price.

What do I make of it? I thought he needed to leave because he was/is so miserable. I appreciated his expertise (he is late 30's, so not too much experience, but....) and his opinions, but I don't think that Omega or Tag makes junk. My wife owns an Omega and its a nice watch.

As for me, three factors prevail:

1 I am recovering from graduate school, so expensive watches are a no go.

2 I am not into buying just any watch because it says 'made in Switzerland' (like buying a horrible wuality Italian bike - there are countless many)

and

3 All discretionary cash expenses go towards my true material love: bikes. Since I have to choose at this point in my life, I would much rather spend $5000 on a bike than a watch. Therefore, I love my Timex.

d_douglas
12-20-2006, 03:53 PM
By the way, I have a weakness for the minimalism of the Swatch. So elegant. Say what you will, but the formal qualities are near perfect for what it is.

Good taste, IMO, Richard.

saab2000
12-20-2006, 03:56 PM
2 I am not into buying just any watch because it says 'made in Switzerland' (like buying a horrible wuality Italian bike - there are countless many)

I also have had long and interesting periods on Switzerland, and being something old fashioned, I dig the Swiss watches. Yes, most of the movements are generic. But they are also good.

If the mentioned watches ellicited no praise from your friend, which watches do?

rePhil
12-20-2006, 04:26 PM
I remember reading, but not sure where that watch sales are fading with each generation. The cell phone is taking it's place.

Personally in a prior occupation I really needed and depended on a
time / watch. I started with a Seiko Sports and ended up with a Timex. It was accurate, light and robust and $20
I still have it but it's been years since I have worn or needed a watch.

Lincoln
12-20-2006, 05:10 PM

Dave, gettin' a little tired of Casio plastic...

Dave,

Seiko mechanicals are very nice, though the low end watches tend to have pretty horrible bracelets. A few other "value" brands would be Hamilton and Oris. I'm wearing a Mark II Quad 10 (http://www.mkiiwatches.com/WSWrapper.jsp?mypage=cg01.htm) right now, I've had it for about a year and I really like it.

I have a bunch of older Omegas that I need to sell off because I just don't wear them enough.

d_douglas
12-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Adrien mentioned names like Patek Philippe, Jaeger le Coultre, Roger Dubuis, Breguet and FP Journe as being trailblazers.

All are very expensive watches, sadly. For the record, he did not work for one of them (no surprises there, I suppose) He worked on the high end Raymond Weil watch series. He said it ws interesting to have to meet a pricepoint, but soul destroying as well, because he new it was window dressing to a standard movement (analogous to designing an Audi A8 with a Volks Golf engine)

I laugh as I write that, because I would love a Golf - we don't even own a car at the moment, so who am I to analogize!!

There is a great used watch shop not too far from me that has a rotating display of exquisite used watches. I think that the owner has an international buyers list and when one comes in at the right price, it never sees the light of the display case, unfortunately.

FYI he is a bit of a design 'whore' - he used to design for Volkswagen and Diahatsu and when he found out that I was a biek fanatic, he told me he bought an ealry OCLV MTB because it was so vanguard at the time. Kind of cool, I suppose (can you tell that I love Treks?)

A.L.Breguet
12-20-2006, 06:01 PM
mmmm

A.L.Breguet
12-20-2006, 06:10 PM
v

catulle
12-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Many years ago when I used to work in the field of advertising, once I spent three months in Brazil producing some TV commercials. I was working with Jaime Masjardin and George Jonas, both very famous and talented producers. Jonas had produced the Kodak commercials that appeared in one of the Olympic Games, the ones that were held in L.A., I think. The commercials were all about colors. A swimmer in blue, a runner in yellow or something and so on. Jaime was a popular producer of Brazilian soap-operas.

The point is that George Jonas collected wall clocks and he had dozens of them on the walls of his office. And all going tic-toc, tic-toc... It was hard to pay attention to business when in that office. Anyway, most of George's clocks were clocks made in the USA which on the lower part of the dial had printed United States of South America. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer but evidently it was a company located on the pre-civil war South. Actually, I think the company was located in North Carolina.

It'd be great if someone could come up with the name of the company...!

palincss
12-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Anyway, most of George's clocks were clocks made in the USA which on the lower part of the dial had printed United States of South America. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer but evidently it was a company located on the pre-civil war South. Actually, I think the company was located in North Carolina.

Are you sure?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The United States of South America is a political term and a state proposed by Simón Bolivar that was meant to include all the territories liberated by him and his friend José de San Martín. The term has recently resurged as the result of South American integration, such as Mercosur and CAN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_South_America

atmo
12-20-2006, 06:40 PM

Billy Bob's House of Clocks atmo.

gt6267a
12-20-2006, 06:43 PM

are there other thin / light watches to consider under 3k? maybe to help the suggestions, i prefer a white face to black or silver. simple is good. date is good. moons and stars are bad. as a reference, i kind of like the face of the bell and ross vintage 123.

Kevin
12-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Baume Mercier and Cartier.

Kevin

Xyzzy
12-20-2006, 06:57 PM
While mechanical watches are my favorite, there are some really neat quartz watches.

Very interesting article:

http://people.timezone.com/msandler/Articles/CarlosFinalParadigm/FinalParadigm.html

sailorboy
12-20-2006, 07:30 PM
I have always been a fan of the swiss and german mechanicals myself. Although since coming to Japan I have gained a much greater depth of knowledge regarding the quality and performance of the big Japanese brands like seiko and citizen. Particularly the special stuff that is made for their domestic market like Grand Seiko, and citizen Exceed. My current dream watch which replaced a Jagaer Lecoultre on the wish list is a grand seiko spring drive. I WILL have one before I leave here.

If anyone wants to help realize that dream by buying my lightly used 2 year-old quartz grand seiko, let me know! In addition to being unique from any Seiko you will find in the US, they claim accuracy of +/- 10 secs. per year. A solid, good looking piece.

rePhil
12-20-2006, 07:30 PM
One thing my watches have to withstand is the ability to be dunked in saltwater. I can't see doing that to many of the watches shown here. Are they pretty boys or can they take it?

manet
12-20-2006, 08:00 PM

tao of toc

atmo
12-20-2006, 08:37 PM
tao of toc

tick.
me off.

A.L.Breguet
12-21-2006, 04:49 AM
One thing my watches have to withstand is the ability to be dunked in saltwater. I can't see doing that to many of the watches shown here. Are they pretty boys or can they take it?

Rolex Submariner.

A.L.Breguet
12-21-2006, 05:36 AM
Rolex Submariner.
Oh, yeah, Rolex Explorer I also.

catulle
12-21-2006, 06:30 AM
Are you sure?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The United States of South America is a political term and a state proposed by Simón Bolivar that was meant to include all the territories liberated by him and his friend José de San Martín. The term has recently resurged as the result of South American integration, such as Mercosur and CAN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_South_America

Yes, I'm sure. I'm also aware of Chavez' alter-ego's aspirations...

Xyzzy
12-21-2006, 07:00 AM
A Sea Dweller would be fun. Even though I'm not really into Rolexes, I've always wanted one of these rare beauties:

http://bjsonline.com/watches/articles/0012_1.shtml

deechee
12-21-2006, 07:58 AM
The point is that George Jonas collected wall clocks and he had dozens of them on the walls of his office. And all going tic-toc, tic-toc... It was hard to pay attention to business when in that office.

Ahaha. I kind of miss that tic-toc sound... My parents had an old wall clock in the kitchen that we had for the longest time (until it really died) but it would drive me crazy some nights because I could hear it from my bedroom.

I love watches too, but a)I have a small wrist so most of the watches you guys have mentioned look ridiculous on me, b)I'm rough with my stuff. I drop, bang, trip them. Not to mention my cat likes stealing things so I wouldn't be surprised if he starts trying to run away with my watches.

Yes, its cheap, its a casio, but are those casios that get a radio signal to set their time more accurate than quartz? :) I got one for my bday last year? Its a bit bulky but its pretty funky. My everyday watch? My 30$ timex my gf bought for me shortly after we met.

Anybody know of any "modern" pocket watches that can take a beating? I know a local guy who is watchsmith and I love going to his repair shop but he only has really old pocket watches he tells me I'd probably break within a few days... If you're ever in Montreal and need any repairs/parts you should look him up - Nicolas watch repair. No relation to me, but he's a one man shop and probably up the alley of most of you.

Erik.Lazdins
12-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Not to mention my cat likes stealing things so I wouldn't be surprised if he starts trying to run away with my watches.

Our cat, Groucho, has stolen 2 pendants from my wife including one I got for her years back. Since we did not witness the cat burglary we did not have him summarily arrested, charged, convicted, incarcerated, and deported to Sardinia. He still lives with us and acts as if nothing were wrong.
I suppose that makes us enablers?

drift over... I like watches

puy_de_dome
12-21-2006, 09:02 AM
and the coolest thing - it has my name and my profession on it :)

catulle
12-21-2006, 09:03 AM

Hey, Bubba, you better go back to tending to the lovely Deb, atmo.

atmo
12-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Hey, Bubba, you better go back to tending to the lovely Deb, atmo.
the lovely deb aka
Master of Complications

catulle
12-21-2006, 09:13 AM
the lovely deb aka
Master of Complications

Hey, you better be nice or I'll send my other sister to take care of your coconut. My little sister drove her bike to Provo already, iirc...

mikemets
12-23-2006, 05:43 PM
I've been looking for a nice watch for some time, and am considering this one, any thoughts:

Tony Edwards
12-23-2006, 06:48 PM
I have many mechanical watches, which I love, though none of them are really "fine watches," a term I reserve for the JLCs and APs of the world. I have the following, more or less in descending order of value. All are automatic unless otherwise specified:

- Sinn 656 flieger watch

- '50s Tudor Oyster handwound dress watch

- Hamilton (Valjoux 7750-powered) chronograph

- Seiko 6309-7040 diver, handbuilt by Russell Benson of Hands of Time from parts from several other watches, with a NOS Seiko movement and HOT sapphire crystal - read about the watch at http://www.seiko-divers.info/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1110841892

- Bill Yao-modified Seiko SKX007 diver with Yao Omega Ploprof-homage hands and dial, sapphire crystal, aluminum chapter ring, and GMT bezel, on Seiko President bracelet

- Bill Yao-modified Seiko SKX007 diver with Yao Omega SM300-homage hands and dial and sapphire crystal, on oyster bracelet

- Seiko SBDA001 "Black Samurai" Prospex ti diver

- Christopher Ward Malvern dress watch

- Ollech & Wajs 2801 handwound flieger watch

- Seiko SKX779 "Black Monster" diver

- Seiko SKX781 "Orange Monster" diver

- Orsa mil-Sub homage diver

- Weird Seiko S-Wave TV-shaped watch (I think it's a reissue of an old Seiko 5)

- 50's Seiko Self-Dater dress watch

Whether they're "fine watches" or not, I think Seikos are the best value in mechanical watches on the market. My first mechanical, which really inspired my hobby, was my SKX779, and there is simply no better value on the market in a mechanical diver's watch. These things have massive presence, a high-quality mechanical movement, a beautifully-crafted case, and among the nicest bracelets and smoothest-turning bezels of any watch under $1,500, all for around $150. I get many more compliments on my SKX781 than any of my other watches - it's definitely not subtle, but it's beastly in a way many people (including me) find charming.

Tony Edwards
12-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Along these lines, a friend just gave me a subscription to Revolution Magazine. It is only available at Border's and Barnes and Noble as far as I know, and it is watch porn at a level I have never seen before. I am embarrassed to admit how worked-up I got reviewing their text and photo essay on the JLC Reverso Grand Complication a Tryptique, which really is a mind-boggling engineering feat - it makes a Ferrari Enzo look like an Alfa Romeo Graduate.

The first U.S. issue costs $14.95 and seems like a very fair value at that price - it is a large-format magazine, much like a coffee-table book, with 340 thick pages of beautiful photos (largely in ads, but also in original content), and some very respectable writing. It's somewhat lifestyle-oriented, but nevertheless a very high-quality publication. Like many English magazines, the production values are at a far higher level than any American magazine. It's definitely at least worth a look. My friend bought me a 3-year subscription - I only hope the magazine stays in business that long.

Changster
12-23-2006, 10:56 PM

I was very much interested in this watch when I was shopping for a mechanical watch. My decision was to go with the Patek Phillipe 3919 in WG with the display back which was only available in the Asian market. Both watches are beautifully made just like a custom bike. The 1815 is such a gorgeous watch it's so tempting. The Dulfour is a watch to be had but for a price about twice the 3919 or 1815.

Xyzzy
12-24-2006, 12:58 AM
I love that particular 1815 because it is so understated yet elegent. I love the symetrical face (Never warmed to the Lange One here.) and the silver case color is not "in your face" or pretentious. The fire blued dial color just completes it. If a watch has to have gadgets or tries to get your attention it is messing up, IMO. A watch should be discreet. You can't buy class, you know.

The very first thing I do when I meet someone is evaluate their watch. You can tell a whole bunch about a person buy their watch. Or their lack of one. Anyone who wears a Lange is cool in my book. I've never met anyone with a Lange that wasn't an enthusiast. (That said, I've only met 3 people with them.)

Too bad I have Lange taste on a Timex budget. I'd rather have nothing than do something half-assed.

;)

A.L.Breguet
12-24-2006, 05:03 AM
Along these lines, a friend just gave me a subscription to Revolution Magazine. It is only available at Border's and Barnes and Noble as far as I know, and it is watch porn at a level I have never seen before. I am embarrassed to admit how worked-up I got reviewing their text and photo essay on the JLC Reverso Grand Complication a Tryptique, which really is a mind-boggling engineering feat - it makes a Ferrari Enzo look like an Alfa Romeo Graduate.

The first U.S. issue costs $14.95 and seems like a very fair value at that price - it is a large-format magazine, much like a coffee-table book, with 340 thick pages of beautiful photos (largely in ads, but also in original content), and some very respectable writing. It's somewhat lifestyle-oriented, but nevertheless a very high-quality publication. Like many English magazines, the production values are at a far higher level than any American magazine. It's definitely at least worth a look. My friend bought me a 3-year subscription - I only hope the magazine stays in business that long.
Yeah, cool mag, and a good website. I met the guys from the NY office a few months back when they came to do a story on my place of employment. They seem to have the right passion. You're right though, I too hope the mag can sustain. It's much more like the high quality Japanese language watch mags. Much better than the majority of the other watch mags available in the US.

Xyzzy
12-24-2006, 10:12 AM
...JLC Reverso Grand Complication a Tryptique, which really is a mind-boggling engineering feat - it makes a Ferrari Enzo look like an Alfa Romeo Graduate...Hmm. Mention Ferrari and watches and this is what I think of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3NVJ4pEFuY

Lincoln
12-24-2006, 11:21 AM
I've been looking for a nice watch for some time, and am considering this one, any thoughts:

That's one of my favorites. I don't think you could go wrong with it!

Larry8
12-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Seiko Black Monster, Exellent Value can be worn daily without guilt~140USD
Serotta got most of my play money this year already!!!

mikemets
12-25-2006, 07:56 PM

This is the rear case, think I'm smitten

hybridbellbaske
12-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Hey Mikemets,

I have a Spitfire Chrono with a black face on my wrist right now. I love it and it seems pretty tough for daily wear, although I don't wear it while riding. I may be wrong but it seems to me that the millions of little vibrations you get through the handlebars might not be the best thing for any mechanical watch.

I would really like to get an IWC with a white face- just for something different...

Saxon
12-27-2006, 02:42 PM
The Sinn U Series watches are made to have extreme salt water resistance. I have one and it's a great watch.
http://harrytan.sg/watches/SINN-U1/

vaxn8r
12-27-2006, 05:20 PM
The Sinn U Series watches are made to have extreme salt water resistance. I have one and it's a great watch.
http://harrytan.sg/watches/SINN-U1/
That looks like a great watch. Sinn is underrated ATMO.

92degrees
12-27-2006, 06:07 PM
I was on the waiting list for a U1 and then passed. Sort of kick myself but didn't really have the money at the time.

rePhil
12-27-2006, 07:13 PM
A gift from my wife many years ago. It served me for many years before finally succumbing to one too many saltwater dunks .It was heavy and despite all my efforts it would not stay in place on my wrist

rePhil
12-27-2006, 07:22 PM
This has been sitting in my drawer for years. It still has the correct time. It was $19.95 It stayed put on my wrist. It was lightweight. It's my go-to watch. Heck, it's the only one I have that works. It's been years since I have needed to wear it.

mikemets
12-28-2006, 05:48 PM
can anyone recommend a watch forum?

92degrees
12-28-2006, 05:51 PM

Depends on the kind of watches. What do you want to read about?

mikemets
12-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Depends on the kind of watches. What do you want to read about?

I've been having fun 'shopping' for a new watch, and would like to ask some very specific questions. Nice, automatic, watches like:

IWC
A. Lange & Sohne
Jaeger-LeCoultre

Thanks

Xyzzy
12-28-2006, 06:16 PM
http://www.timezone.com/

92degrees
12-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Timezone is good. Watch-U-Seek is pretty good:
http://www.watchuseek.com/site/forums.htm

There's an IWC forum here that I'm not familiar with:
http://www.watchnetwork.com/forums/index.html

DRZRM
12-28-2006, 06:27 PM
timezone.com is a pretty good forum, the folks in the brand specific forums are quite knowledgable, though they can lack objectivity when talking about their favorite brand (the people on the Omega page think Omegas are better than Rolexes, just the opposite is true on the Rolex page)...that said, with all of us on the Serotta forum you probably have a sense of what I mean already.

In response to the question which watch represents the Kogswell watches, I'd say the Sinns are close, sturdy, well made tool watches, and they look good too. I have a Sinn 142 which I really like.

I also like the Dornbluth and Son watches, which are totally handmade in Germany. Quite a simple movement, but very elegant. I tried one on in Amsterdam last summer and I was really blown away, that said, their waiting list is not quite as long as a Sachs or a Vanilla, but it will be quite a wait.

I'll attach a pic below, they kind of remind me of the A. Lange & Sohne, but they are available under $4K (don't flame me too bad, I know it is a totally different level of watch, I just think they look pretty nice up close).

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/drzrm/DornBlueth99-1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/drzrm/DornBlueth99.jpg

mikemets
12-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks guys!

DRZRM - I'll look into the Dornbluth and Son watches...that has a lot of what I'm looking for, simple movement, uncluttered dial, and a see through rear case :D

92degrees
12-28-2006, 06:48 PM
That kind of reminds me of the Limes Klassics:
http://www.watchbuys.com/Master/LM-022.htm

bozman
12-28-2006, 06:59 PM
I have two.

A Rolex Submariner that I have had for almost seven years (an anniversary gift from my wife) and a Polar AXN 300.

The Submariner keeps good time, looks great, stands up to any incidental beating, and has a "bling" factor that is not too overdone.

The Polar AXN looks good, keeps good time, has a fairly accurate altimeter, and is a good HRM overall. It goes where the Rolex does not--long rides, long runs, and snowboarding.

I have been very happy with both.

mikemets
12-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys!

DRZRM - I'll look into the Dornbluth and Son watches...that has a lot of what I'm looking for, simple movement, uncluttered dial, and a see through rear case :D

Love the Dornbluth and Sohn, but like the 99.0 better than the 99.1 pictured above...very similar, and the 99.0 is like $2K less :D

Great reading here:
http://www.watchbuys.com/Master/DB-001.htm

Thanks again...I inquired about the wait, the father and son team make only 8 or so watches a month

DRZRM
12-28-2006, 07:44 PM
Cool, let us know if you actually get it. Even when I tried one on in a watch shop in Europe you could not buy the watch and walk out with it, they kept a few in stock for people to try on, and then you added your name to the list. I think the difference between the pricing is more like $500 bucks between the 99.0 and the 99.1, and I like them equally, I just think that dress watches benifit from the white/silver dial. That said, all of my watches are chronographs with black dials, so I can understand why you'd like the black face (I think the layout of the second hand is a bit different as well).

Here is the whole Dornblueth page at WatchBuys if anyone wants a bit more info.

http://watchbuys.com/Dornblueth.htm

For what it is worth, these things almost never come up for sale used at timezone.com salescorner, and when they do, they sell at or above retail. I might have seem something like two of these come up for sale all year. I don't think many of us collect watches for profit any more than we do bikes, but the limited availability of these seems so bolster their resale value.

Good luck.

Zach

catulle
12-28-2006, 08:28 PM

Imho, The Purist is a much better (honest) forum than TimeZone. Dr. Mao, The Purist's owner, is a true aficionado and watch lover, and keeps the forum just for fun and open discussions.

TimeZone, on the other hand, is 100% commercial and exists for the sake of selling advertising. Thus, discussions are strictly monitored and restricted to singing praises of the brands. As a matter of fact, if you check the Patek Philippe forum, you will find a moderator who consistently humiliates and insults the participants to that forum. What I find totally perplexing is that these guys should be mature and rich enough to own Patek Philippe watches, yet Massena, the moderator, treats them like clowns and idiots and they seem to like it. Massena reminds me of those Nazi trasvestites one sees in some movies.

I'd rather spend my money on bicycles. It is healthier than just about anything else.

mikemets
12-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks again Zach.

You can get all of their models, 99.0 thru 99.4 in a variety of finishes including case and dial colors.
Here's their website:
http://www.dornblueth.com/

This is the difference between the 99.0 and 99.1

"The Dornblueth & Sohn Calibre 99.1 is a modification to Dirk's original design, the 99.0, and features an expanded size and placement of the sub seconds display. This may seem to be a small achievement, but in fact it is quite an engineering feat. Dirk together with a long time family friend who is also a watchmaker created a cantilevered second pinion with friction spring that is indirectly driven below the train through an intermediate gear."

This is very cool:
http://www.timezone.com/library/tzints/tzints631925903176093750

mikemets
12-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Cool, let us know if you actually get it. Even when I tried one on in a watch shop in Europe you could not buy the watch and walk out with it, they kept a few in stock for people to try on, and then you added your name to the list. I think the difference between the pricing is more like $500 bucks between the 99.0 and the 99.1, and I like them equally, I just think that dress watches benifit from the white/silver dial. That said, all of my watches are chronographs with black dials, so I can understand why you'd like the black face (I think the layout of the second hand is a bit different as well).

For what it is worth, these things almost never come up for sale used at timezone.com salescorner, and when they do, they sell at or above retail. I might have seem something like two of these come up for sale all year. I don't think many of us collect watches for profit any more than we do bikes, but the limited availability of these seems so bolster their resale value.

Good luck.

Zach

I'm also interested in the black face to make it a bit less dressy...I'm looking for an everyday watch.

FlaRider
12-28-2006, 09:00 PM
MikeMets-- I just purchased a Dornbluth - a caliber 99.1 with white dial, black numerals and blued hands. The watch is very understated and fuctional - definitely not as highly finished or polished as an IWC Portugueser, for instance. However, it was its functionality that attracted me to the watch...well, that and its beautifully finished movement, which is really quite magnificently adorned with rose gold plating.

I wear my Dorntbluth as a weekend watch. It goes well with jeans and other casual attire. For dressier occasions, I prefer my Patek or Vacheron. I think the Dornbluth is a good value for the price, although Patek, Vacheron, Lange, etc. are really in another league in terms of finishing.

I bought my Dornbluth through Watchbuys a few weeks ago. I think they had two in stock at the time I made my purchase. I wasn't aware that the watch was _that_ difficult to find.

Let me know if you have any questions.

DavidK
12-29-2006, 05:39 AM
After destroying cheap watches and expensive watches, I've since adjusted my tastes toward anything that may be near indestructible.

The result, I've owned this Sinn (http://www.sinnstore.com/) watch for over a year now and I've still not been able to scratch it or damage it:
http://www.sinnstore.com/img/relojes/303-LA-Index-amp.jpg

There's just no point getting a watch too fine when you're likely to ski badly in it, get into brawls in bars, and generally walk into things or fall down stairs when drunk. A lesson that was expensive to learn.

DRZRM
12-29-2006, 08:34 AM
David, sounds like you are living the life of a late 70s-early 80s Burt Renolds character. Which of those examples was the expensive lesson, or was it all four? :beer:

Nice watch!!

mikemets
12-29-2006, 04:25 PM

Good luck.

Zach

Question about the size:

I see that its listed as a 42mm, is that huge? My current watch is a 37mm, and today I tried on a IWC Spitfire that was 39mm...felt a little big to me, but not too bad.

Maybe I'm just not used to a 'big' watch, is 42 'big'?

FlaRider
12-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Question about the size:

I see that its listed as a 42mm, is that huge? My current watch is a 37mm, and today I tried on a IWC Spitfire that was 39mm...felt a little big to me, but not too bad.

Yes, a 42mm watch, though not the largest currently available by any means, is considered "big" when measured against traditional standards - ie, standards where a fine dress watch such as a Patek would have a case circumference of 34mm. The Dorthbluth actually "wears" bigger than a "regular" 42mm watch due to the case construction and the size of the lugs; it is also thicker than your average watch. That said, even though I have small wrists, the Dornbluth doesn't look out of place on me, at least based on my tastes. As you can see, it's largely (or should I say completely?) a matter of personal taste and what feels comfortable on your wrist.

Cheers.

DRZRM
12-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Not huge, but big. The same size as a Omega Speedmaster.

stevep
12-30-2006, 06:51 AM
im waiting for the swatches to go on sale...
so much money for a freakin watch!
in the meantime if i wanna know what time it it i email catulle... who gets back to me within an hour or 2
close enough

Lincoln
12-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Question about the size:

In todays world I would call it medium to medium large. You need to try it on to see. Some look and wear bigger than others. Also what may seem biggish at first will feel normal after a bit.

sevencyclist
01-02-2007, 07:49 PM
After destroying cheap watches and expensive watches, I've since adjusted my tastes toward anything that may be near indestructible.

The result, I've owned this Sinn (http://www.sinnstore.com/) watch for over a year now and I've still not been able to scratch it or damage it:
http://www.sinnstore.com/img/relojes/303-LA-Index-amp.jpg

There's just no point getting a watch too fine when you're likely to ski badly in it, get into brawls in bars, and generally walk into things or fall down stairs when drunk. A lesson that was expensive to learn.

How does the mechanical mechanism of Sinn hold up to the rigor of mountain biking?

I have not found a mechanical watch that holds up to the shocking motion of holding onto handlebar of mountain bike, so I have resorted to a Suunto Advizor. However, I would love to find a mechanical watch that could take that type of trauma. Any suggestions?

DRZRM
01-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Well, not for nuthin', but the Omega Speedmaster Pro passed a sick barrage of tests (which many other reputable brands-including Rolex-failed) to be the watch that went to the moon in the late 60s, and was retested later (in the 80s?) and won again. Given the heat, g-force, and rattle tests they submitted that watch to, I can't imagine it would have any difficulty on any mountain bike ride.

It is hand wound, not automatic, but they are bombproof. Now I have an Omega Speedy (the automatic Broad Arrow) and I don't ride in it, not because it would not hold up, but because I'd be heartbroken if I took a slider on it. The Sinn 142 has also been in space (on the Shuttle with a German astronaut, I forgot his name, probably the first automatic watch in space, though there is some argument). Their mechanics are beefy, its a great tool watch.

People play golf in these watches, ride in them, race cars (lots of vibrations) if you don't mind scuffing them up, I think they are up to the task.

Xyzzy
01-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Edit: I was wrong.

http://www.classicwristwatch.com/Watches%20In%20Space.htm

Hurling Frootmi
01-03-2007, 02:13 PM
The Omega's are very nice. I'm more of a vintage guy and have always wanted a 1960's pie faced Omega Seamaster.

Today I'm wearing a vintage Elgin DeLuxe. Manual wind from the 50's or 60's. Old self winding watches have a certain charm like riding a great steel bike.

atmo
01-04-2007, 08:01 AM
FYI atmo -
RGM Watch Co. will be on "John Ratzenberger's Made in America" Jan 9th on the Travel Channel.

R.Murphy
01-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Hello,

I started RGM watch company in the early 90's, we only make high quality mechanical watches in very low numbers. Check out our website at www.rgmwatches.com . We also repair and restore many types of mechanical watches.

A few years ago We became the main sponsor for Richard Sachs Cyclocross team and have had a blast working with Richard.

I also own a website for watches collectors and enthusiast www.equationoftime.com Give it a look.

Best Regards,
R. Murphy

http://www.rgmwatches.com/w_RGM_222S_001.jpg

catulle
01-04-2007, 10:53 AM
It is great to see you posting here, Roland. Welcome...!!

For the ones that haven't heard of RGM and have or like mechanical watches, be advised that Roland's work is extraordinary. His watches as well as his service (repair, restoration, custom watches, et al) is absolutely first rate. I'll post pictures of a vintage Minerva chronograph wrist-watch he restored for me when I get home.

Louis
01-04-2007, 01:31 PM
So what's the Shimano 105 of automatic movements?

Louis

92degrees
01-04-2007, 02:08 PM

Louis

Seiko divers.

Lincoln
01-04-2007, 02:37 PM

Louis

Seiko 7S26

Twizz, thanks for the heads-up on the show.

atmo
01-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Seiko 7S26

Twizz, thanks for the heads-up on the show.
please watch it atmo.

Bill Bove
01-04-2007, 04:39 PM
please watch it atmo.
:D

goonster
01-04-2007, 04:51 PM
RGM Watch Co. will be on "John Ratzenberger's Made in America" Jan 9th on the Travel Channel.

I'll watch that.

Looks like RGM is just down the road from where I work (Marietta).

Since I'm saving for PBP, my budget can't handle MSRP. Do they have a dumpster I can dive through? :D

Bill Bove
01-04-2007, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=goonster]
, my budget can't handle MSRP.

How does that work? Buy an RGM watch and get a free Sachs bike or buy a Sachs and get the matching watch? Nice red face and red alligator band...whenever you look at it it says "time to ride".

Oh, buy a Sachs frame and you get a coupon for 15 cents off a pack of Twizzlers :crap:

manet
01-04-2007, 05:19 PM

Louis

6am every morning after the second cup of coffee

atmo
01-04-2007, 05:27 PM
6am every morning after the second cup of coffee
outrageousness atmo -

atmo
01-06-2007, 11:58 AM
FYI atmo -

hiccup atmo.