PDA

View Full Version : Garmin life?

Mr. Pink
08-27-2019, 05:19 PM
My 810 seems to be dying. Battery runs down too fast. Did 35 miles today with a 15 minute break on auto pause, and it was down to 12% battery. Sunday it died at 30 miles doing navigation. It's maybe 7 years old, maybe 14,000 miles. Typical? Can't complain, it's been good, especially when they fixed the software.

Dave
08-27-2019, 05:23 PM
7 years is a very good life for a rechargeable battery. All you should need is a new battery. Do a google search on garmin 810 battery. You'll get places to buy one and videos showing how to replace the battery.

kramnnim
08-27-2019, 05:39 PM
They’re easy to change. May need some tiny torx screwdrivers.

zmalwo
08-27-2019, 06:49 PM
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xgarmin +810+battery.TRS0&_nkw=garmin+810+battery&_sacat=0

Good news is that the replacement batteries are insanely cheap.

mktng
08-27-2019, 07:14 PM
My 520 is pretty trash too for battery life. But batteries are cheap to buy, and relatively easy to replace. You should be able to replace with a more powerful battery too.

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

dem
08-27-2019, 08:05 PM
If you're happy with your existing Garmin, definitely replace the batteries. New Garmins are almost inevitably worse in some key, annoying way that will enrage you. (aka "garmin rage" - GRAGE)

GregL
08-27-2019, 08:18 PM
I replaced the battery in my Edge 705 last year when it wouldn’t hold a charge for more than a few hours. The replacement was very easy with a battery sourced from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/NewPower99-Replacement-Edge-705-Installation/dp/B005HBFBL0). The new battery lasts longer than the OEM original.

Greg

echappist
08-27-2019, 08:35 PM
Does anyone have good luck with sealing the unit after swapping the battery?

When I opened the case of my old Edge 500 to correct issues with buttons, I could never put it back together in a way to seal off moisture fully. That was quite annoying, and was one of the reason I traded up to an Edge 520.

What are people's experiences with the newer stuff? Any special precautions?

Mr. Pink
08-27-2019, 08:52 PM
Thanks all, I'll order a battery. But, I'm also going to turn down the screen brightness.

unterhausen
08-28-2019, 05:07 AM
If you're happy with your existing Garmin, definitely replace the batteries. New Garmins are almost inevitably worse in some key, annoying way that will enrage you. (aka "garmin rage" - GRAGE)

I have to say that my new 830 is a much nicer unit than my old 800 ever was. I rode 600km of the same course without a hitch. The 800 would have locked up with about 30km to go, even with the newest firmware. The 800 was really infuriating, because the promise was evident, but it never fully delivered. The 830 is really fast too, which is more important than I would have thought. I am pretty happy the battery saving feature where it goes to sleep between turns.

I also like the apps. Forget if you can run apps on an 810 though. The ride with gps app is really nice, I d/l a course when I only had my phone. And uploading to strava automatically is nice too. Now that trainerroad will push workouts to a garmin, that also seems like a great feature. It seems like there is an issue with iOs BT connectivity, and I'm sure they will never fix it properly, but there are workarounds. Fortunately for me, Android BT works without a hitch.

I think we can all thank Wahoo for making garmin get serious about these units.

mktng
08-28-2019, 06:29 AM
Does anyone have good luck with sealing the unit after swapping the battery?

When I opened the case of my old Edge 500 to correct issues with buttons, I could never put it back together in a way to seal off moisture fully. That was quite annoying, and was one of the reason I traded up to an Edge 520.

What are people's experiences with the newer stuff? Any special precautions?

you can buy the ifixit https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/iOpener/IF145-198?o=8 kit which contains the adhesive softener pouch thingy. that'll help get the bond back when youre reinstalling everything.

however. unless you completely replace the adhesive material. doubt it'll ever be as good as factory sealed.

kramnnim
08-28-2019, 09:26 AM
Pretty sure the 800/810 units have a non adhesive rubber gasket that seals the two halves together.