PDA

View Full Version : Miche Team compact crankset - thoughts?

Alan
08-27-2019, 12:34 PM
I need a new crankset that is compatible w Campy 10 speed and relatively affordable. I am thinking about a Miche Team Compact per the link below:

https://www.miche.it/en/prodotti/strada/guarniture/team-cpt.html

Any thoughts on this pro or con?

It is quite affordable from the UK so may be worth a try. My chainrings on my Campy crankset are shot and not worth getting new ones as the 2 chainrings are more than an entire crankset.

Thanks,

Alan

Mark McM
08-27-2019, 01:00 PM
I don't know anything about the Miche crankset, but as far as "compatible w Campy 10 speed", just about any recent crankset will do. Cranksets/chainring are fairly agnostic with regard to chains/derailleurs/number of sprockets, so a lot of mix-and-match is possibly (despite the company lines about only using matched components).

As far as replacement chainrings, standard 5 arm 110mm compact cranks are widely available at different price and quality levels, and are likely to be available for years to com. But hidden 5th arm cranks (like the Miche) may have some compatibility limitations, depending on how the chainrings attach to the back of the crankarm. In some cases (as for Campagnolo cranks), hidden 5th arm cranks must use chainrings of very specific thickness, so not all chainrings will be compatible). Unfortunately, the photos of the Miche crank don't really show how the chainrings attach to the back of the crankarm, so it can't be readily seen if there are any compatibility issues.

false_Aest
08-27-2019, 11:49 PM
Make sure you're diligent about the details.
I have a Miche track crank that requires a somewhat unique BB. I didn't know that until it was too late.

Same thing with their track hubs.

AngryScientist
08-28-2019, 06:29 AM
if you're looking budget, i'd skip the square taper miche and get a nice ultra torque centaur crankset. 124 bucks and uses a current BB standard and will match your other campy kit.

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-chains/campagnolo-centaur-11-speed-ultra-torque-chainset-black/11479830.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=USD&shippingcountry=US&variation=11479835&shoppingpid=TOP10_230318_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiKDC9bql5AIVzJyzCh2isw6VEAQYBCAB EgLVGvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Oxford_Guy
08-28-2019, 07:43 AM
if you're looking budget, i'd skip the square taper miche and get a nice ultra torque centaur crankset. 124 bucks and uses a current BB standard and will match your other campy kit.

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-chains/campagnolo-centaur-11-speed-ultra-torque-chainset-black/11479830.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=USD&shippingcountry=US&variation=11479835&shoppingpid=TOP10_230318_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiKDC9bql5AIVzJyzCh2isw6VEAQYBCAB EgLVGvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Although that's made for 11-speed, so front shifting may not be ideal.

There are plenty of new condition Campagnolo Veloce 10-speed cranksets still available, on eBay and elsewhere, are reasonable prices, which may be a better option

AngryScientist
08-28-2019, 07:44 AM

absolute non-issue.

oldpotatoe
08-28-2019, 08:57 AM

There are plenty of new condition Campagnolo Veloce 10-speed cranksets still available, on eBay and elsewhere, are reasonable prices, which may be a better option

The 11s cranks, any of them, work famously well with otherwise 10s(and 9s) systems.

I think the ‘uniqueness’ of Miche is ISO BB plus Campagnolo type lockring threads for their Pista hubs..it’s a nice crank but I agree, scads of Campagnolo UT and PowerTorque:eek: cranks out there. Great, not expensive stuff.

Mark McM
08-28-2019, 10:10 AM

Campagnolo 11spd cranks work great with 10spd derailleurs. I've got 3 of these setups, and I have no issues with them.

Sure, these will work great - until it comes time to replace the chainrings. Chainrings that work with Campy's lower level hidden 5th arm cranks are difficult to find, and may cost as much as the crankset itself (see above about thinner chainrings on these cranks).

acorn_user
08-28-2019, 04:19 PM
I've owned this crankset on a cross/gravel bike for several years. I was looking for a decent square taper compact and this was the best one I could find. I've been pretty pleased with, and I've not noticed any issues.

colker
08-28-2019, 04:30 PM

The centaur crankset weights 875 grs while the miche weighs 700grs. Unless the campgnolo BB weighs 75grs i see the Miche as the better deal. It seems the BB is a 107mm unit similar to shimano and a host of others which are even lighter and better sealed.
As someone pointed, the hidden bolt could be an issue but other than that it´s as serviceable and parts replaceable as it gets. Otoh the blackness is ugly.

Oxford_Guy
08-29-2019, 07:01 AM
The centaur crankset weights 875 grs while the miche weighs 700grs. Unless the campgnolo BB weighs 75grs i see the Miche as the better deal.

In that particular case, the Ultra Torque Campagnolo BB is already included as part of the Centaur crankset, or at least the bearings and two parts of the Ultra Torque axle, which are attached to the cranks - think the only things missing would be the bearing cups, which are very lightweight, and the UT axle bolt to join the two halves of the UT axle.

It seems the BB is a 107mm unit similar to shimano and a host of others which are even lighter and better sealed.
As someone pointed, the hidden bolt could be an issue but other than that it´s as serviceable and parts replaceable as it gets. Otoh the blackness is ugly.

I agree with you on the last part... BTW Centaur also comes in silver, as well as in black