PDA

View Full Version : Hydration Mixes and Headaches

pdonk
08-27-2019, 08:43 AM
With my early morning schedule of riding, and not having time to get a good meal in or time to drink before I ride, I have tried a few hydration mixes - nuun and skratch labs.

I have two issues with them - they both give me screaming headaches about 15 minutes after I start drinking them and they both cause me to noticeably sweat after nearly every sip. The sweat is noticeable by its salty taste and feel in my eyes as compared to when I sweat when riding with water only.

Wonder if others have any insight into the headaches.

oldpotatoe
08-27-2019, 09:26 AM
With my early morning schedule of riding, and not having time to get a good meal in or time to drink before I ride, I have tried a few hydration mixes - nuun and skratch labs.

I have two issues with them - they both give me screaming headaches about 15 minutes after I start drinking them and they both cause me to noticeably sweat after nearly every sip. The sweat is noticeable by its salty taste and feel in my eyes as compared to when I sweat when riding with water only.

Allergic to something in them? I don't drink red wine..'bottle of headache' to me..

OtayBW
08-27-2019, 09:26 AM
I don't know about headaches, but OSMO makes me want to vomit! :eek: :)

Blue Jays
08-27-2019, 09:33 AM
Perhaps try diluting it with even MORE water to see what happens?
I typically keep my food / calories / minerals / electrolytes / water independent.
For example, my bottles only contain water. Easier to track if things help.

norman
08-27-2019, 09:37 AM
I've found that if I slam a big glass of normal water immediately after getting up and then having the hydration mix (nuun in my case) 15m later or so that I don't get the headaches as much. My body will still crave another big serving of normal water after the nuun. It's like those things just allow me to drink more water rather than fully hydrating me.

clyde the point
08-27-2019, 09:40 AM
Vitalyte

yinzerniner
08-27-2019, 09:51 AM

I think the problem is that both of the products you listed are more for dehydration recovery rather than pre-ride fuel. The sodium levels on both of those is pretty high which could also cause the headaches. And saltier sweat during the ride means your body is probably trying to get rid of some of that excess sodium.

Also, the two above mixtures don't really have much carbohydrates to use as fuel, so your body is working basically working double - trying to convert stores into energy while also exerting energy with the workout. Gatorade and other sports drinks which some might hate hate, are pretty effective at delivering fuel since they have just enough simple carbs that are absorbed through rather than stored.

It sounds more like it's a fueling problem than a drink problem. You should be lightly loading up on easily digested fuel before your ride, like fruit, smoothies and oatmeal. In the time it takes you to kit up a bowl of instant oatmeal with honey, berries or bananas, or a smoothie in a blender, could easily be prepped and would benefit you far greater than some mixture.

AngryScientist
08-27-2019, 09:55 AM
how would you say your hydration level is aside from on the bike. it sounds to me like you're not well enough hydrated to me, that's what winds up giving me headaches.

i dont know how long or intense these morning rides you do are, but you may very well be better off drinking plain old water and chomping down a waffle or bar instead. unless you really need electrolyte replacement, water is probably what you need early in the day. worry about topping off electrolytes later.

benb
08-27-2019, 10:07 AM
Are you a coffee drinker (AKA caffeine dependent) and riding before caffeinating?

That'll cause a headache. Pretty annoying, I blame most of my headaches on that personally.

pdonk
08-27-2019, 10:36 AM
how would you say your hydration level is aside from on the bike. it sounds to me like you're not well enough hydrated to me, that's what winds up giving me headaches.

i dont know how long or intense these morning rides you do are, but you may very well be better off drinking plain old water and chomping down a waffle or bar instead. unless you really need electrolyte replacement, water is probably what you need early in the day. worry about topping off electrolytes later.

Hydration maybe a bit low, not a real drinker, even on the bike. The symptoms are only noticeable with the drinks.

In terms of rides - about 50k at a moderate pace at 5am, so eating before hand is difficult, especially since I am trying to sneak out without waking everyone up.

Are you a coffee drinker (AKA caffeine dependent) and riding before caffeinating?

That'll cause a headache. Pretty annoying, I blame most of my headaches on that personally.

Not a morning caffeine person, so it is not likely that.

I am leaning toward their being something in the drinks that weirdly effects me.

Thanks for input, wanted to see if others had similar experiences.

weiwentg
08-27-2019, 10:37 AM

Some Nuun and Skratch formulations have caffeine, but not all. The OP didn't say which he took. So this this a possibility.

Also, as already pointed out, most of their formulations are designed for use during the ride, after you've expended electrolytes. Maybe try just having water when you wake up, then using the mixes to refuel during the ride? And take a snack for the ride, perhaps. Note that Skratch has 20g simple carbs per scoop, and Nuun has maybe 4g carbs per tablet. I'm not a doctor, but too much sodium can cause dizziness and vomiting. I'm not sure that just the amount of sodium in one serving of those things would cause nausea, but who knows.

I'd second the option of diluting them further. Skratch's label says one scoop per 16oz bottle, 1.5 scoops for a 24oz bottle. I use one scoop per 24oz bottle. More would taste a bit strong.

Climb01742
08-27-2019, 10:51 AM
Skratch Labs has been my go-to drink mix (lemon-lime flavor) for years now and no headaches or other adverse reactions. An alternative you might try are these (they're capsules):

https://www.hammernutrition.com/endurolytes-extreme

Dave
08-27-2019, 12:13 PM
I've always used accelerade - only one scoop in a bottle. Works for me, but I always have coffee and a little something to eat before my early morning ride.

denapista
08-27-2019, 12:41 PM
Those Nuun tablets are loaded with 300+MG of sodium! They make me super nauseous, so I stopped taking them. If you're looking for pre ride energy, I've been having good results with Pro Bars. I eat (2) of them and I'm pretty good to go, maybe take Hammer Nutrition Salt pills when you start riding to retain your enery and nuun when you're dehydrated.

Those Nuun tablets are meant for when you're 1/2 way thru your ride and need to re-hydrate during your ride, not prior to the ride. You'll get headaches and other nasty symptoms if you have nothing in your system and you pump 600mg of sodium inside of you.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81agwxZyokL._SX355_.jpg

http://shop.theprobar.com/PB_Meal_3D_film_wholeberry_blast.png

benb
08-27-2019, 12:44 PM
Interesting.. I've been using Nuun for a long time.

It would never give me any issues at the beginning of the ride.

But I get headaches later on long rides. Beyond the 50-75 mile range if it's a hot day.

I can't seem to figure it out for years. I can never seem to figure out if I'm taking in too much electrolytes or too little.

As for Pro Bars they are fantastic for really long rides. But after eating lots of them on really long rides I really don't ever want to eat them in any scenario other than really long rides where they are really the best thing! Bonus in the boring parts of the ride you can occupy yourself trying to get sesame seeds out of your teeth as you ride along.

yinzerniner
08-27-2019, 12:50 PM
Those Nuun tablets are loaded with 300+MG of sodium! They make me super nauseous, so I stopped taking them. If you're looking for pre ride energy, I've been having good results with Pro Bars. I eat (2) of them and I'm pretty good to go, maybe take Hammer Nutrition Salt pills when you start riding to retain your enery and nuun when you're dehydrated.

Those Nuun tablets are meant for when you're 1/2 way thru your ride and need to re-hydrate during your ride, not prior to the ride. You'll get headaches and other nasty symptoms if you have nothing in your system and you pump 600mg of sodium inside of you.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81agwxZyokL._SX355_.jpg

http://shop.theprobar.com/PB_Meal_3D_film_wholeberry_blast.png

That's what I was trying to say in the prior post. Using a hydration-specific mix for fuel is a bad idea since they're completely different physiological processes going on.

My S.O. has very low blood pressure and has been advised by her doctors to add roughly a teaspoon of salt to everything she eats, and even she thinks has cut back on the NUUN tablets since they're just too high in sodium for her tastes.

If the OP doesn't want to wake the entire household up then a few honey stinger waffles and a banana before the ride should be the quick fuel of choice.

In this situation placing the blame for constant headaches on the hydration mix is like blaming a katana on the nicks you get while shaving with it.

zap
08-27-2019, 01:13 PM
edit

In terms of rides - about 50k at a moderate pace at 5am, so eating before hand is difficult,

Try plain water and eat breakfast (make pb sandwich night before) while riding.

pdonk
08-27-2019, 01:13 PM
I've tried skratch labs during late day rides and same effect, the nuun was a oen time thing.

Was mostly wondering what the cause of the headaches could be, will definitely try to eat more before teh ride /early in the ride and will try starting with water and transitioning to a drink after the first bottle is done.

In all the years I have been riding this is the first set of products I have tried that set me off liek this.

wildboar
08-27-2019, 01:38 PM
I've noticed i will get headaches from things sweetened with stevia, but I don't see that in the ingredients of your mixes.

benb
08-27-2019, 02:36 PM
I've noticed i will get headaches from things sweetened with stevia, but I don't see that in the ingredients of your mixes.

That's an interesting angle, these days it seems there's always a new sweetener coming out.

Andy sti
08-27-2019, 03:33 PM
I would question why you want to use electrolyte replacement on these rides. I don't see why plain water wouldn't work for you.

yinzerniner
08-27-2019, 03:55 PM
I would question why you want to use electrolyte replacement on these rides. I don't see why plain water wouldn't work for you.

Water, you mean like in the toilet?
https://i.imgur.com/X1S8V.jpg

verticaldoug
08-27-2019, 05:22 PM
I'd think a cup of coffee, and banana when you get up. And just water on the bike or just add 1/2 nuun tablet to water bottle at most. Everyone's different, but keeping down a solid food at moderate pace should not be an issue. All a sports drink does is rot your teeth.

If I put too much nuun in my water bottles, my sweat gets too heavy and everything turns white.

pdonk
08-27-2019, 06:53 PM

Historically have been a straight water drinker. Thinking I'll go back to straight water and a mid ride coke on hot days.

Was wondering if others had similar experiences or ideas why it happens.

Andy sti
08-27-2019, 10:46 PM
Historically have been a straight water drinker. Thinking I'll go back to straight water and a mid ride coke on hot days.

Can never go wrong with the mid ride Coke!

54ny77
08-28-2019, 12:06 AM
i vote sesame bagel (warm, but not toasted), cream cheese, slab of onion, capers, slice of tomato, and a heaping mound of smoked salmon cured with pastrami spices. plus a large black coffee. and a newspaper. with some good jazz going in the background.

perfect way to start the day.

screw the ride thing!

:bike: ;)

unterhausen
08-28-2019, 04:50 AM
I wouldn't go with an electrolyte for a 50km ride unless I was sweating heavily from the start and drinking a lot of water. If nothing else, electrolyte products have a lot of potassium, which can burn your stomach. The way I can tell I need electrolytes nowadays is if drinking water makes me feel nauseous. It's a very fine line for me, too much salt has very similar effects. I use vitalyte, but there really isn't much difference in the ingredients in any of these mixes as far as I can tell.

Seramount
08-28-2019, 07:35 AM
real food and water are your friends...skip the chem lab experiments.

pdonk
08-28-2019, 07:37 AM
Another reason I was trying the drinks on my regualr early morning rides was to prep for longer ride and to make sure no bad side effects.

When I tried nuun it was on a 120 k ride and I the trouble started at 80k. Figured scratch labs may be a good choice.

Like I said above, I am going to stick with water/coke and maybe a bag of chips mid ride going forward. Know none of them cause me issues.

pdmtong
08-28-2019, 10:52 PM
Hot tip:
1) fill bottle halfway then drop Nuun tablet in.
2) let it stop fizzing then fill bottle all the way.

this avoids the gas pressure build up if you drop a Nuun tab into a full bottle and close it.