PDA

View Full Version : Casual SPD shoes

Geeheeb
08-26-2019, 03:03 PM
Looking for 2-bolt casual spd shoes. I have worn Chrome shoes, but it looks like they are not making the clipless ones anymore. No leather is a plus.

Has anyone tried the Quac Pham shoes? Any other suggestions?

cribbit
08-26-2019, 03:08 PM
I have access to basic wholesale (QBP) and the last few times I've bought shoes I've found louis garneau to be pretty decent quality on their cheaper stuff. Would not have had a wide selection to consider from and retail prices may differ.

Veloo
08-26-2019, 03:09 PM
I have the Giro Grynd.
The strap keeps the laces out of the chain. Good summer shoe cuz of the mesh.
Wide enough for me too.
Sole is comfy enough to walk in and stiff enough that you never feel mushy on the pedals.

jadedaid
08-26-2019, 03:48 PM
Interesting to see Chrome discontinue their clipless shoes. From what I recall they had a pretty high failure rate and Chrome wasn't all that happy with handling the returns.

Geeheeb
08-26-2019, 09:06 PM
Interesting to see Chrome discontinue their clipless shoes. From what I recall they had a pretty high failure rate and Chrome wasn't all that happy with handling the returns.

I had three pairs. Two of them lasted a really long time only one failed fast.

bward1028
08-26-2019, 09:25 PM
i've been looking at DZR shoes to replace my aging chrome shoes.

scoobydrew
08-26-2019, 10:45 PM
i've been looking at DZR shoes to replace my aging chrome shoes.

I'm satisfied with my pair of DZR Minna + Time ATAC combo.

chris7ed
08-27-2019, 06:42 AM
I have a new MTB shoe from Shimano that's considered a trail shoe. The trail shoe has a good bit of flex compared to the XC shoe that I replaced.

thermalattorney
08-27-2019, 11:38 AM
Another vote for DZRs. Been using them for the last 6 years and have owned the Minna, Marco and Dice.

I'd recommend the Dice. The suede on the Minna doesn't age well and the Marco is way too hot. If they have a downside, it's that the plastic shank usually cracks after 12-18mo of regular use, well before the shoes themselves look too worn.

One thing to note, they run a bit large. I typically wear a 45.5 in Giro and Shimano shoes but the 45 fits perfectly.

p nut
08-27-2019, 12:12 PM
I wear Giro Rumble VR

http://cyclingabout.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Giro-Rumble-VR-Cycling-Casual-Shoe-1000x665.jpg

dbh
08-27-2019, 01:01 PM
I've had a pair of low cut Chrome spd shoes for 7 plus years. They've held up phenomenally well as a regular commuter shoe. The sole is thick enough that when I'm peddling, I forget that I'm not in an actual cycling shoe. I wanted to try something with a slightly higher cut, so picked up a pair of DZRs. Very poor build quality. The soles were softer than the Chromes for sure, so riding in mountain pedals quickly gave me hot spots. The canvas sides started separating from the rubber soles after a few months.

Mercury1989
01-28-2021, 07:29 AM
I also really like DZR shoes, very high quality in my opinion and look stylishly. I have been going for several years in such places and I have not had any problems. Btw, my wife recently decided to start playing tennis and she asked me to help her choose sneakers for this, and I only know about sneakers for bicycles and had to spend a lot of time choosing the right ones. It turns out that in this segment of sports there is quite a large selection of shoes. I was very helped by various reviews on shoes for women (https://tennisshoesdeals.com/best-arch-support-tennis-shoes-for-women/) so that my wife and I could finally decide on a choice. Our choice fell on Mizuno wave horizon 3 and according to my wife, they were much more convenient to play, than her usual shoes.