PDA

View Full Version : More flexible and supple on the bike after a few days off?

MattTuck
08-26-2019, 09:15 AM
I notice that if I have a few days off the bike (let's say more than 3 or 4), when I do get on the bike, I feel much more flexible, my pedaling seems more fluid and it feels pretty good honestly.

Wondering if anyone else experiences this, and whether it is a sign that something is off with either my position or my pedaling mechanics.

wallymann
08-26-2019, 09:38 AM
i go the other way -- the more regularly i ride, the better i feel on the bike.

zap
08-26-2019, 09:41 AM
The more I ride the more flexible I am plus my lower back needs the miles to stay healthy.

dgauthier
08-26-2019, 11:26 AM
Rhetorical question: how old are you? Recovery takes longer as we age. Perhaps you need more than 3-4 days to fully recover.

denapista
08-26-2019, 12:35 PM
Now that I'm 41 going on 42, the more days I have off the better my body feels. In order for me to ride multiple days back to back in the hills, I'd need a massage and things pros get. I switch it up, like doing swimming when off of the bike. It helps with range of motion and flexibility.

I usually get all of my best times when I'm coming off a few days off of the bike.

cbbr
08-26-2019, 12:58 PM

That's me too. And I sleep way better.

MattTuck
08-26-2019, 01:13 PM
Rhetorical question: how old are you? Recovery takes longer as we age. Perhaps you need more than 3-4 days to fully recover.

I am 40. But... This is not a new phenomenon.

And, I don't think it is an issue with recovery (in the cardio sense) because it is not a case that I feel fresher. Usually takes a day or two of riding (after a break) to feel like I have some snap. It feels, oddly enough, like my range of motion is improved by the lay off. Like, my normal position or riding style is actually making me tighter. This seems counterintuitive, as some posts above confirm.

I am mostly talking about my legs and hips here.

Drmojo
08-26-2019, 01:44 PM
That's me too. And I sleep way better.

and I am 58
I need to pedal a piddly amount
every day
plus yoga stretching hot tub cold showers
etc etc
but rarely 2 hard efforts back to back
anymore
I do not have a masseuse on call...

berserk87
08-26-2019, 02:34 PM

I think that this depends on what kind of riding you are doing.

If I'm in the off season and just plain ol' riding for days on end, I'm feeling pretty good.

If I am training for an event and some of my rides consist of very hard workouts, then added days off are needed in order to regain some suppleness in my legs.

I did a short ride on Friday and ended up not being able to get out on Saturday. Did a ride yesterday evening and ended up being able to crush it, which surprised me. I think the light day on Friday and the day off on Saturday contributed to this.

zap
08-26-2019, 02:35 PM
edit

I am 40.

I can't believe that I'm typing this......time goes by quickly. C'est la vie.

YOU ARE YOUNG.

weiwentg
08-26-2019, 03:51 PM
I think that this depends on what kind of riding you are doing.

If I'm in the off season and just plain ol' riding for days on end, I'm feeling pretty good.

If I am training for an event and some of my rides consist of very hard workouts, then added days off are needed in order to regain some suppleness in my legs.

I did a short ride on Friday and ended up not being able to get out on Saturday. Did a ride yesterday evening and ended up being able to crush it, which surprised me. I think the light day on Friday and the day off on Saturday contributed to this.

Good point. When I'm starting the season, I need to be on the bike more as well. I don't really feel a lot better after a few days off. In season if I'm in shape, I can take a few days off and I'll either feel no different or I'll feel better.