PDA

View Full Version : USCF racing unattached question

BobC
08-25-2019, 05:30 PM
The guys I ride with are having a "discussion" about racing unattached. One states that you have to race in a plain jersey if you are unattached. Another says that is the way it used to be, now it is kinda vague. I looked in the 2018 rule book it says (among some other confusing stuff):
1F3(c) Only registered clubs and teams may have clothing bearing commercial sponsorship in addition to the manufacturer’s logo and club name.

Anybody have a better handle on this?

Gummee
08-25-2019, 05:39 PM
I started my own 'bike brand' and haven't been hassled by the officials for racing my own kit.

Doesn't say anything other than the brand's name tho.

I'm not registered as a team/club, so I'm watching this one with interest

M

Hellgate
08-25-2019, 07:18 PM
It's USAC these days, but whatever. I've yet to see anyone called out over. Kinda like the old white sock rule.

Tandem Rider
08-25-2019, 07:20 PM
Technically, as the rule states, you have to use kit without sponsor's markings. Reality is smalltime races usually won't care. Bigger races probably will ask you to change your kit, turn it inside out, or tape over. These are not absolutes, just what I have observed over the years.

David Tollefson
08-26-2019, 08:23 AM
There's an old racing joke about "Team Duct Tape"...

redir
08-26-2019, 08:25 AM
Just get a cheap white jersey and wear that.

GregL
08-26-2019, 08:47 AM
The other applicable USA Cycling rule on this subject is 1J5(e): Club Jerseys. In my experience as an official, I wasn't too concerned about jerseys, especially in the lower categories. As long as the jerseys couldn't cause any confusion that could unfairly affect the race, I would just quietly inform the rider about the rule without making a big deal of it. For example, a rider in the P-1-2 field at a cyclocross race was wearing the skinsuit of his former team. Since no one else in the field was representing his former team, I tactfully reminded him of the rule after the race.

If the jersey could potentially affect the race outcome, then I would be more direct in my approach. For example, if someone was no longer on a team (yet continued to wear the team jersey) and other team members were in the race, it could cause confusion with team tactics. That would require a jersey change to race.

Greg

redir
08-26-2019, 10:44 AM
Wearing a skin suit inside out, now that would be a site to see :D

bigbill
08-26-2019, 11:37 AM
I've been a GDI for almost a decade. I've got some solid color Craft jerseys. I've got a PI long sleeve skin suit for time trials but no one wants to see that. I've seen cat 4/5 races with guys in full pro team kits. No one cared. Show up in a pro kit for a P/1/2, you had better be a team rider.

BobC
08-26-2019, 03:25 PM
Technically, as the rule states, you have to use kit without sponsor's markings. Reality is smalltime races usually won't care. Bigger races probably will ask you to change your kit, turn it inside out, or tape over. These are not absolutes, just what I have observed over the years.

Yes, that seems pretty much the consensus. However, what about kits w/o sponsors? Crux of the argument is whether several riders could ride "as a team" wearing the same unsponsored kit. I wanted to refute it, but the rules seem vague (but the older rules were far more clear about it -- which then begs the question why was it changed?).

tctyres
08-26-2019, 03:52 PM
Locally in NYC, only if you are in a club points race do you need to wear team kit. The rest of the time you can wear non-logo'ed kit of any type and color.

Pro team kits are not OK, but I haven't seen anyone flagged for this.

Mark McM
08-26-2019, 04:24 PM
However, what about kits w/o sponsors? Crux of the argument is whether several riders could ride "as a team" wearing the same unsponsored kit.

What you are describing is a group of unattached, independent racers, who happen to be working together for a common goal - which isn't really a team in the broader sense. Rules about team clothing don't really apply.

saab2000
08-26-2019, 04:50 PM
I did USCF racing from the mid-1980s into the mid-1990s. It seems to have virtually disappeared from the planet.

I would imagine the last thing USAC can do is abide by absurd rules, even if I hate high socks. Having rules 98% of people think is stupid will only drive the last few dozen bike racers away from the dying sport.

All that said, I still miss the adrenaline of a P/1/2 race and speed of it all screaming around corners and either trying to hang on for dear life and suddenly getting a rush of energy and trying a flyer. It was both the greatest thrill of my life and the most humbling and disappointing part of my life. Being in front 150 feet from the finish is a thrill. Getting caught by the screaming field with 75 feet to go is soul crushing! :bike:

Anyway, back to the OP - if you're unattached ride with a plain jersey with only the manufacturer's logo and minimal branding. It's much, much classier. Don't wear a team jersey or any kind of championship jersey unless you are the rightful wearer of those jerseys.

In other words, if you're not the world champion, don't wear the rainbow jersey. :rolleyes:

bigbill
08-26-2019, 05:08 PM
Anyway, back to the OP - if you're unattached ride with a plain jersey with only the manufacturer's logo and minimal branding. It's much, much classier. Don't wear a team jersey or any kind of championship jersey unless you are the rightful wearer of those jerseys.

In other words, if you're not the world champion, don't wear the rainbow jersey. :rolleyes:

A decade or more ago in VA Beach, a guy showed up for a 4/5 crit wearing the full Acqua Sapone zebra stripe kit complete with World Champion bands on the sleeves. He had the team replica bike too along with team water bottles. He hung in the front 20-30 riders until the last lap when it sped back up. Got shelled off the back. After the race he was riding around the course trying to find his team water bottles that he had jettisoned, like a pro.

Gummee
08-26-2019, 05:09 PM
I did USCF racing from the mid-1980s into the mid-1990s. It seems to have virtually disappeared from the planet.

I would imagine the last thing USAC can do is abide by absurd rules, even if I hate high socks. Having rules 98% of people think is stupid will only drive the last few dozen bike racers away from the dying sport.

All that said, I still miss the adrenaline of a P/1/2 race and speed of it all screaming around corners and either trying to hang on for dear life and suddenly getting a rush of energy and trying a flyer. It was both the greatest thrill of my life and the most humbling and disappointing part of my life. Being in front 150 feet from the finish is a thrill. Getting caught by the screaming field with 75 feet to go is soul crushing! :bike:

NOW ya did it! You went and started a religious argument

M

BobC
08-26-2019, 06:31 PM
A decade or more ago in VA Beach, a guy showed up for a 4/5 crit wearing the full Acqua Sapone zebra stripe kit complete with World Champion bands on the sleeves. He had the team replica bike too along with team water bottles. He hung in the front 20-30 riders until the last lap when it sped back up. Got shelled off the back. After the race he was riding around the course trying to find his team water bottles that he had jettisoned, like a pro.

Which crit was this? I totally missed this one.

Tandem Rider
08-26-2019, 10:22 PM
Yes, that seems pretty much the consensus. However, what about kits w/o sponsors? Crux of the argument is whether several riders could ride "as a team" wearing the same unsponsored kit. I wanted to refute it, but the rules seem vague (but the older rules were far more clear about it -- which then begs the question why was it changed?).

By USAC rules, a team is registered as a team and must wear the same kits. If you aren't registered as a team, then you aren't a team. You happen to be wearing the same commercially available unlogo'd kits. You happen to be working together as a team for mutual benefit. No rules against that, I have sometimes worked with riders on other teams and we WERE wearing different team kits, no rules against that either.

You are worrying too much, just put on non-team kits and go racing. Just don't forget to have fun.:)

Louis
08-26-2019, 10:33 PM
I'm pretty sure someone out there makes a "Cutters" jersey.

redir
08-27-2019, 08:31 AM

LOL yeah a lot of people were still riding the Lance train back then.

pasadena
08-27-2019, 09:32 AM
It's weekend fun.
Lower cats should be able to wear whatever they want, except when it would affect the race (as another mentioned).

If someone wants to wear pro team kit, let them. No one is going to confuse the real Team Sky in a cat5 race.

It should just be fun for everyone, no matter what they wear.

The objectionable kits are
worn, see-through bottoms. No one should be allowed to wear that.

BobC
08-27-2019, 03:08 PM
It's weekend fun.

It is most definitely not. Bike racers take their race crap wayyyy too seriously.

Just listen to them race post mortem. You would think it was a UCI event.

That's just a tiny part of the problem with road racing today.

saab2000
08-27-2019, 03:13 PM
It is most definitely not. Bike racers take their race crap wayyyy too seriously.

Just listen to them race post mortem. You would think it was a UCI event.

That's just a tiny part of the problem with road racing today.

That's not just today. It's always been that way. Roadies (and I'm one) are way too high strung and self-centered and take themselves far too seriously. Not sure why, but it is that way and always has been.

It's a totally, and better, vibe on non-road events. Far less attitude and far more inclusion. It's not hard to see why gravel events and other adventure riding has taken off. It's more fun for everyone.

redir
08-27-2019, 03:50 PM
I think it depends on what part of the country you are from. I started out as a cyclocross racer some 20 years ago. At that time cycling was a very niche sport of course as always but cyclocross was almost unheard of. Then I got into road racing and it was the first time someone ever yelled at me angrily in competition, I was like, yo... dude?

Then cross just took off and now it seems road races are dropping left and right. But for the most part here in the mid Atlantic it's been good fun amateur competition with little drama at the road races. I think it's even better now that cycling is less of a fad.

carpediemracing
08-28-2019, 09:36 PM

Sometimes it works the other way. In CT we didn't see a lot of pros, not like you do out west and such. We did have some illustrious visitors, like one day when a fully kitted up rider showed up at a local group ride. I mistook him for a rabid Rabobank fan as he had all the gear. Ends up it was all real: http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2007/10/story-egos-on-road.html

Another was when Lance (when he was king) was in the area. A group ride (Cheshire?) saw a rider in the rainbow jersey. The group chased him to reprimand him for wearing the sacred colors. When they rolled up someone said something like, "Who do you think you are, Lance Armstrong?" And Lance Armstrong turned and looked at him. The next group ride had a ton of riders but no Lance sightings.

Another was Phil Anderson showing up at a Gimbels ride. The next day, as lore has it, a metric ton of riders showed up to see if he'd return. He did not.

Rolling around SoCal just before Tour of CA was interesting. I was at a light when I saw a little guy rolling by. He turned to look at me and I realized it was Bettini. Saw a few other pros also, but he was the one that I least expected to see.

The one time I was in Europe for a bit, we saw a Tulip rider appear (http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2010/02/story-experiencing-belgian-kermesses.html) from between two cars while we were looking at a map. I realized immediately it was Adri Van Der Poel so we both set chase. He had rolled out with someone on a moped and was motor pacing. I decided to sit up to take a picture (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TbmplkIYLx8/S3opOZgC2WI/AAAAAAAACrY/PfAkOnzWC4Q/s1600/IMG_0012.jpg), my friend kept going.

carpediemracing
08-28-2019, 09:39 PM
My favorite kit for unattached riders was a great looking "Unattached" kit. It had "Unattached" all over the kit. See the "UR" kit in the picture below.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7CUh3A6LULU/UbdwBj6GGFI/AAAAAAAAFGU/4L32yWMMtJQ/s800/20130608_Nutmeg-UnattachedKit.jpg