PDA

View Full Version : La Vuelta (Spoilers!)

Elefantino
08-24-2019, 02:05 PM
Someone was watering their garden, which put water on the road, which caused several crashes, including the favorites.

What an opening TTT.

oldpotatoe
08-25-2019, 06:36 AM
Someone was watering their garden, which put water on the road, which caused several crashes, including the favorites.

What an opening TTT.

NBC gold, guys(really good, BTW)..didn't know where the water came from..really stacked Jumbo/Lotto..Great coverage..gift giving at the end a little over the top(Tissot watches YO!!)..the beer part was funny..gotta keep the sponsors happy..Kinda reminds me of the 70s Paris-Roubaix where they shove a bottle of Perrier in the guys hand when all he wants to do is sit down..

Elefantino
08-25-2019, 08:08 AM
This morning it was confirmed that the water came from ... washing fish at a seafood restaurant.

oldpotatoe
08-25-2019, 11:10 AM
More AMBAR beer..what a hoot..one little sip and then into that green trash can..

rain dogs
08-25-2019, 12:05 PM
credit where credit is due.... Quintana looked pretty savvy with that win and almost enough to take Red.

He often looks like he lacks any punch or "spirit" but he played today pretty perfectly, especially on a day that likely had Valverde penciled in.

Elefantino
08-25-2019, 12:07 PM
credit where credit is due.... Quintana looked pretty savvy with that win and almost enough to take Red.

He often looks like he lacks any punch or "spirit" but he played today pretty perfectly, especially on a day that likely had Valverde penciled in.
It looked like a Valverde stage until the 20k mark.

Strong rides by Roglic, Uran and, surprisingly, Aru. Too bad the former and latter lost time in the fishwater crash yesterday.

Elefantino
08-29-2019, 10:22 AM
Holy crap. What a day today.

Tejay crashed badly with 23k to go and finished the race, apparently, but is not certain to start tomorrow.

RKW
08-29-2019, 10:26 AM
Holy crap. What a day today.

Tejay crashed badly with 23k to go and finished the race, apparently, but is not certain to start tomorrow.

Sigh. Tejay being Tejay...

Shame, but the smartest thing EF could do is dump him. He's consistently proven to make bad decisions. If you rewatch the coverage, it doesn't show the crash, but before he went around the bend (and out of camera coverage), he was in a tuck and looking to rotate off the front, for what its worth.

Elefantino
08-29-2019, 10:56 AM
At one time he had million-dollar legs and a ten-cent head.

Now he just has the ten-cent head.

FlashUNC
08-29-2019, 11:26 AM
At one time he had million-dollar legs and a ten-cent head.

Now he just has the ten-cent head.

I'm reminded of the Secret Pro column discussing e-racing where he mentioned if it was all just a wattage contest, Joe Dombrowski and Teejay would take on all comers, but racing's a bit more complicated than that.

Elefantino
08-30-2019, 07:54 AM
Tejay started but abandoned early on in the stage. Broken middle finger on his right hand, other injuries.

ultraman6970
08-30-2019, 08:10 AM
Havent follow the vuelta this year, it looks like will be changing red everyday eh?

Looks like nairo is vanishing again eh?

Elefantino
08-30-2019, 08:36 AM
Movistar announced this morning that Valverde is the team's GC leader.

Valverde is 5 seconds behind Quintana on GC right now.

So long, Nairo, have fun at Arkea-Samsic.

572cv
08-30-2019, 08:52 AM
Tejay started but abandoned early on in the stage. Broken middle finger on his right hand, other injuries.

Sending out 'Born Under a Bad Sign' by Albert King, to TeJay. Also well wishes for the recovery and a change of fortune: no more crashes.

torolu
08-30-2019, 09:14 AM
I had Tejay in the TdF fantasy league I do. Granted, he was a 7th-round pick or something. But even that pick was wasted. Sigh.

FlashUNC
08-30-2019, 09:20 AM
Movistar announced this morning that Valverde is the team's GC leader.

Valverde is 5 seconds behind Quintana on GC right now.

So long, Nairo, have fun at Arkea-Samsic.

Way Movistar's year has gone Nairo's going to end up winning the thing in the most awkward way possible for the team.

jlwdm
08-30-2019, 09:40 AM
Not enough GC contenders to be of any interest to me. I will probably watch the replays of the bigger mountain stages.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
08-30-2019, 10:23 AM
WOW!! Another huge shout for the Old Farts!!

What a finish!!

Elefantino
08-30-2019, 10:28 AM
WOW!! Another huge shout for the Old Farts!!

What a finish!!
And Nairo actually worked for him. He will be able to eat at the team table tonight.

trener1
08-30-2019, 05:25 PM
as much as everyone like to dump on both Movistar as a team and Nairo as a rider, they executed perfect team tactics today and Nairo looked super strong.

As far as the long game, In my opinion it's a 2 horse race between Lopez and Rglic and at the moment it is VERY hard to pick between them, they both look really good, and both have strong teams.
And them I am going to pick Nairo to round out the podium.

Elefantino
09-04-2019, 08:37 AM
This (almost) just in:

"Police in Catalonia seized a haul of marijuana after helicopter footage of the Vuelta a España revealed rooftop plantations of the drug being grown in the town of Igualada."

Hilarious (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/04/helicopter-rooftop-marijuana-plants-vuelta-spain-catalonia-race).

RKW
09-04-2019, 08:50 AM
as much as everyone like to dump on both Movistar as a team and Nairo as a rider, they executed perfect team tactics today and Nairo looked super strong.

As far as the long game, In my opinion it's a 2 horse race between Lopez and Rglic and at the moment it is VERY hard to pick between them, they both look really good, and both have strong teams.
And them I am going to pick Nairo to round out the podium.

Absent any exogenous factors influencing things, if Roglic loses at this point, his entire team should be fired.

deechee
09-04-2019, 10:32 AM
what a nail biter today

denapista
09-04-2019, 10:34 AM
Roglic has a pretty strong team to usher him into a Vuelta win.
I'm just bummed that a single TT ride can determine a winner of a GT.

Elefantino
09-04-2019, 10:53 AM
In Indurain's five wins, he won 8 of 10 TTs. And one he lost was a pure climber's TT.

Jaybee
09-04-2019, 11:21 AM

Roglic crushed everyone in the TT to move into red, but he is also not getting crushed in the mountains by all the tiny Colombians and Spaniards. Both are equally important to his lead.

prototoast
09-04-2019, 12:58 PM

This is pretty much how things looked after the time trial at the Giro earlier this year. Roglic finished third in GC.

RKW
09-04-2019, 02:10 PM
Lawson put in a hell of a ride the past two days...perhaps trying to audition for a better deal outside of EF.

denapista
09-04-2019, 03:07 PM
Roglic crushed everyone in the TT to move into red, but he is also not getting crushed in the mountains by all the tiny Colombians and Spaniards. Both are equally important to his lead.

What I was alluding too, is the lack of strong teams that attack and try to get into the break and make marginal gains. I know it's the Vuelta and end of the season, but I can never understand how everyone just sits in and then looks for minimal gains the last 3k. Movistar could have done way more damage to Roglic, as they had 3 guys in the front of the race in a break where he finished with them. I mean... You had (3) guys on your team to soften him up before the TT. I know.. Easier said than done, but still... You had Valverde, Quintana and Solare and Roglic isolated.. That shows the lack of cohesiveness with Movistar.

Jaybee
09-04-2019, 04:24 PM
What I was alluding too, is the lack of strong teams that attack and try to get into the break and make marginal gains. I know it's the Vuelta and end of the season, but I can never understand how everyone just sits in and then looks for minimal gains the last 3k. Movistar could have done way more damage to Roglic, as they had 3 guys in the front of the race in a break where he finished with them. I mean... You had (3) guys on your team to soften him up before the TT. I know.. Easier said than done, but still... You had Valverde, Quintana and Solare and Roglic isolated.. That shows the lack of cohesiveness with Movistar.

Yup - Movistar gonna Movistar. I feel you on how conservative most of these guys (Maybe Lopez aside - he might still be in 2nd if he hadn't crashed on the gravel) are, and how little strategy there seems to be to try and isolate a rider like Roglic.

There are many climbs left, it's the Vuelta so they are steep and steeper, and there are still 4 summit finishes left, including Los Machucos which finishes at a ridiculous 25%. A diesel like Roglic could easily get gapped on these types of finishes, though his extremely stacked team makes it a little less likely. I think it's going to be extremely close between Roglic and MA Lopez - no one has been able to respond to this point when Lopez attacks on climbs.

jlwdm
09-04-2019, 08:47 PM

The Vuelta is not just climbs - like the Giro and Tour. TT is part of the race and everyone needs to prepare for it.

Like others have said the problem for the climbers is that they are not gaining time in the mountains. Not a super strong field of climbers either.

The TDF has really cut back on TTs. I like to see a long race of truth. The first TDF time trial in 1934 was 90km. Stephen Roche won an 87km TT when he won the Tour in 1987.

I will never forget seeing Indurain fly by LA in Lance's first Tour I think. He just flew by. He was an unbelievable time trial rider and a good enough climber to win the Tour over and over again.

Jeff

Veloo
09-04-2019, 08:59 PM
Just saw on the news. Too freakin funny!

This (almost) just in:

"Police in Catalonia seized a haul of marijuana after helicopter footage of the Vuelta a España revealed rooftop plantations of the drug being grown in the town of Igualada."

Hilarious (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/04/helicopter-rooftop-marijuana-plants-vuelta-spain-catalonia-race).

trener1
09-05-2019, 04:00 PM
I dont think that some of you are giving Roglic enough credit as a climber, it's not like they are smoking him on the climbs and then he is making them back in the TT, even before the TT he was in second place by like 6 seconds or something, so he was already ahead of both Lopez and Valverde and only down on Qunitana by like 6 seconds.
So he can climb and even outclimb the best "climbers" and them dust them in the TT, what is wrong with that?.

jlwdm
09-05-2019, 04:02 PM
I dont think that some of you are giving Roglic enough credit as a climber, it's not like they are smoking him on the climbs and then he is making them back in the TT, even before the TT he was in second place by like 6 seconds or something, so he was already ahead of both Lopez and Valverde and only down on Qunitana by like 6 seconds.
So he can climb and even outclimb the best "climbers" and them dust them in the TT, what is wrong with that?.

Nothing wrong with that. At this point he is better than everyone else. And probably will be better at the end of three weeks.

Jeff

mhespenheide
09-05-2019, 04:23 PM

And let's not forget that if Lotto-Jumbo hadn't crashed on the stage 1 TTT, Roglic would have probably another 30-40 seconds in hand, at which point he would have had a lead going into to the ITT. Yes, crashes are a(n unfortunate) part of racing, but those 30-40 seconds lost on stage one weren't due to weakness or lack of fitness. During the first week, Roglic was keeping up with the climbers on the climbs. The real question at this point is whether he gets tired in the third week and subsequently becomes more vulnerable.

nalax
09-06-2019, 10:27 AM
This looks brutal (from cyclingnews)

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/qfPL26Lw9WogSUBXZZHQQF.jpeg

Jaybee
09-06-2019, 11:56 AM

Well, I guess we won't be making that mistake any more. What a bad ass.

denapista
09-06-2019, 12:13 PM
I just think Roglic has flown under the media/fan radar, but if you research his performances, you'll see he's been right up there with the top of the GC riders. He's won some races and was even on the TDF podium until Froome overtook him in a TT race for 3rd on podium.

Maybe this is his coming out GC party.

After today, I think people are going to be racing for the rest of the podium places.

kramnnim
09-06-2019, 12:32 PM
Astana did a great job working for Slovenia today.

Jaybee
09-06-2019, 12:43 PM
I just think Roglic has flown under the media/fan radar, but if you research his performances, you'll see he's been right up there with the top of the GC riders. He's won some races and was even on the TDF podium until Froome overtook him in a TT race for 3rd on podium.

After today, I think people are going to be racing for the rest of the podium places.

This might be based solely on the third week of this year's Giro, but I always had the impression that he wasn't quite ready for prime time - he would manage to have one or two bad days in the 3rd week of a GT and end up somewhere 3rd-6th. He is owning this Vuelta so far though. I fully expected him to give 20-30 seconds back today on those crazy ramps.

mhespenheide
09-06-2019, 12:45 PM

"Coming out party"? In the sense of Grand Tours, maybe, but I'd have to argue that he did that in the Giro before fading to 3rd place in the third week. In terms of GC, don't forget that in the spring, he won the UAE Tour, Tirreno-Adriatico, and the Tour de Romandie (along with the points jersey beyond the overall).

denapista
09-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Correct, this could be a coming out in the form of GT races..
We all know these guys are measured by GT wins.

Jaybee
09-06-2019, 12:56 PM
So next year, correct me if I'm wrong, Jumbo-Visma will have Roglic, Dumoulin, and Kruisjuik? And Ineos will have Bernal, Thomas, Carapaz and Froome? Who am I forgetting?

MattTuck
09-06-2019, 01:10 PM
The Vuelta is not just climbs - like the Giro and Tour. TT is part of the race and everyone needs to prepare for it.

Like others have said the problem for the climbers is that they are not gaining time in the mountains. Not a super strong field of climbers either.

The TDF has really cut back on TTs. I like to see a long race of truth. The first TDF time trial in 1934 was 90km. Stephen Roche won an 87km TT when he won the Tour in 1987.

I will never forget seeing Indurain fly by LA in Lance's first Tour I think. He just flew by. He was an unbelievable time trial rider and a good enough climber to win the Tour over and over again.

Jeff

Those were the good old days. They used to have mountain stage time trials. Just go out and ride up and down the mountains on your own. The tour today is so sliced and sanitized today. Wouldn't be a bad thing to see some longer TTs, IMO.

mhespenheide
09-06-2019, 01:45 PM

Stepping aside from the Vuelta for a moment, can we briefly acknowledge the Tour of California? It's not taken seriously (and it probably deserves some of that criticism), but in the last five years, the winner of the ToC has gone on to:

2014: Wiggins --> set the Hour Record, multiple World/Olympic titles
2015: Sagan --> multiple World Titles, multiple monuments, multiple points jerseys in the TdF
2016: Alaphilippe --> multiple classics, Milan-San Remo
2017: George Bennet --> no further wins, but still up-and-coming; a serious lieutenant in the mountains in recent grand tours
2018: Bernal --> win the TdF
2019: Pogacar --> two mountain stage wins and gunning for the podium in the Vuelta

Mattre
09-08-2019, 11:08 AM
What a ride by Sepp Kuss today. There's some GC potential there.

Why didn't Jumbo bring this group to the TdF riding for Roglic?

Jaybee
09-08-2019, 11:30 AM
What a ride by Sepp Kuss today. There's some GC potential there.

Why didn't Jumbo bring this group to the TdF riding for Roglic?

This is a good question. Seems like they wanted to take a real stab at green with Groenewegen, wanted to give WvA his first GT experience, wanted to give Kruijswijk one more chance to be the guy, and Roglic was always planned for a Giro/Vuelta season instead of Giro/Tour or Tour/Vuelta. Beyond not having their best guy in France, they also seemed to suffer from a mix of competing priorities.

jlwdm
09-08-2019, 11:36 AM
Roglic said he was pretty tired after the Giro. He was the favorite and came in third.

Jeff

Buzz
09-08-2019, 02:33 PM
I’ve really enjoyed following the Vuelta the last couple of years. Lots of beautiful scenery and good quality bike racing action with all the climbs.

Sepp Kuss has been fun to watch and is obviously on a very hot team these days.

http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube3/?title=Winner%27s+Interview+from+Stage+15&dashboard=vuelta-a-espana&id=v7SWCkuqWEw&yr=2019

Reminds me of a young Hampsten in his mannerisms and attitude.

Elefantino
09-08-2019, 02:43 PM
He earned this today!

Clean39T
09-08-2019, 04:16 PM
Loved watching Sepp at the Tour of Utah a couple years ago. It's great to see him win. Seems like a kid who just loves riding his bike.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Clean39T
09-09-2019, 04:38 PM
Another great stage today, but what stood out for me is that Brambilla is riding a Trek Domane on these climbing stages..... Marginal gains of smoothing out the rough Spanish roads? I guess if you can build it all up to be under the weight limit, why not?

jlwdm
09-09-2019, 08:05 PM
Another great stage today, but what stood out for me is that Brambilla is riding a Trek Domane on these climbing stages..... Marginal gains of smoothing out the rough Spanish roads? I guess if you can build it all up to be under the weight limit, why not?

That would be to be just over the weight minimum; or higher.

Jeff

Elefantino
09-10-2019, 07:23 AM

When we were at the Vuelta what struck me was how smooth the roads were. Spain spends a lot of money on infrastructure, and not just on the roads for the Vuelta.

oldpotatoe
09-10-2019, 09:21 AM
Sat down at 'puter' looking for next stage..rest day!! interesting that it comes mid last week..but the Vuelta people always want to do something different. 2 stages coming up will determine the overall..Valverde?? I think this rest day can only help the tired old guy:)

ultraman6970
09-10-2019, 09:32 AM
The best of valverse is that he is constant... he will do the same ever, no bad days, no good days but always the same and im almost sure they are waiting for a bad from the top guys, if a bad day comes Valverde should win this thing.

denapista
09-10-2019, 10:36 AM
When we were at the Vuelta what struck me was how smooth the roads were. Spain spends a lot of money on infrastructure, and not just on the roads for the Vuelta.

The architecture influence and engineering of that country is amazing. When I watch those shows about "Amazing homes", most of them are in Spain.. Those roads are buttery smooth too..

RAD RACE did a tour group race/ride from southern Spain to Barcelona. The roads looked amazing!

I've been wanting to do this route/trip since 2015. Hopefully next year on a bike for travel, so that I can load up on the tour.

https://vimeo.com/159193735

Clean39T
09-10-2019, 10:51 AM

Really? A lot of the steep goat-track climbs I've seen have been filled with potholes, broken concrete, and even intentionally rough concrete on some of the steeper pitches... I don't doubt there are nice roads, but the last few stages have not been on pristine tarmac from start to finish.

trener1
09-10-2019, 11:51 AM
From what I heard on those crazy steep small roads they intentionally make the road a bit rough to help with traction, no idea if it's true or not....

Elefantino
09-10-2019, 01:19 PM
Really? A lot of the steep goat-track climbs I've seen have been filled with potholes, broken concrete, and even intentionally rough concrete on some of the steeper pitches... I don't doubt there are nice roads, but the last few stages have not been on pristine tarmac from start to finish.
Of course there are some of those. The finale of the Bola del Mundo climb in Navacerrada is on a steep goat track that looks like it's been pockmarked by shotgun fire. And the Angliru has dirt. But in general, the roads that they spend the most time on are really nice!

Jaybee
09-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Having driven on some similar concrete with added texture roads in central Mexico, let me say that the texture is nice. It’s unnerving when your vehicle is still sliding downhill despite full application of the brake.

denapista
09-10-2019, 04:12 PM
Years ago after the infamous Angeles Forest fires, Caltrans repaved highway 2. I remember climbing up to Clear Creek after work, and hitting 50mph on the descent without pedaling. It was butter smooth. I then saw them ripping that smooth pavement up for the current chip seal gravel style road. I stopped and asked the CHP why it was happening. He stated there were numerous cars going off of the road after the smooth pavement was laid down. Cars simply couldn't stop on the smooth stuff. BUMMER!

fiamme red
09-11-2019, 09:00 PM
Today's stage took the Ruban Jaune, at 50.63 km/hr over 219.6 km: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruban_Jaune.

Buzz
09-11-2019, 09:12 PM
Ruban Jaune. That is some really obscure knowledge. Learn something new everyday here.

beeatnik
09-12-2019, 12:24 AM
The ultimate Strava KOM.

El Chaba
09-12-2019, 06:40 AM
Yesterday's stage is yet another reason why the Vuelta is consistently the best stage race of the year. Take what should be a relatively flat sprinter's stage and add a little wind and voila! As fast as the stage was, the entirety of the Vuelta has been fast....and Movistar was playing chess as their GC opponents were left playing checkers....

denapista
09-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Movistar is in a position to win considering they have 2 wildcards to possibly win. I would keep trying to stick either guy in a break, and using their team to soften up the peloton. It drives me wild to see team think they'll be able to gain 2min deficit in the last 3k of a race.

Yesterday showed you how you bring back time. You get in the break!

jlwdm
09-12-2019, 11:36 AM
I don't think the top riders are that concerned about Quintana. I am guessing he will lose time on Saturday.

I don't think Movistar has a chance of winning unless there was a bad crash.

Jeff

prototoast
09-12-2019, 11:45 AM

Jeff

Agreed. There's always so much talk about Movistar's tactics, but depth and tactics can't make up for strength. Valverde is consistent and very strong, but has never been in the highest tier of GC riders. Quintana used to be the best climber in the world who would struggle in time trials, but for the past few years, he's been a solid climber, but not the best, and his time trial hasn't gotten any better.

Roglic has clearly been stronger than anyone on Movistar so far, and all the tactics in the world won't help if you can't climb faster.

denapista
09-12-2019, 12:00 PM
Agreed. There's always so much talk about Movistar's tactics, but depth and tactics can't make up for strength. Valverde is consistent and very strong, but has never been in the highest tier of GC riders. Quintana used to be the best climber in the world who would struggle in time trials, but for the past few years, he's been a solid climber, but not the best, and his time trial hasn't gotten any better.

Roglic has clearly been stronger than anyone on Movistar so far, and all the tactics in the world won't help if you can't climb faster.

100% agree.. I've yet to see someone make up 2min in a race to win, unless there was a crash and the front field kept the foot on the gas. This race was perfect for Roglic, and Jumbo and he agreed to skip the Tour and target this race.

Jaybee
09-12-2019, 12:05 PM
I don't think the top riders are that concerned about Quintana. I am guessing he will lose time on Saturday.

Jeff

If Jumbo was actually worried about Quintana, they would have pulled back another minute or so in the wind yesterday.

trener1
09-12-2019, 01:14 PM
I would have disagree, Jumbo pulled as hard as they could, in fact with 40k to go the were all blown out of the front group, and Roglic was left isolated, VERY lucky for him Lopez also missed the move and Astana had their whole team pulling very hard for the last hour + of the race, if not for that Quintana would have taken the jersey.

denapista
09-12-2019, 01:27 PM
That seems to be what the commentators are saying... Astana basically saved the day because Lopez was in that group. Astana was saving his podium place and no way Movistar was going to get on the front of that with a potential red jersey in grasp. I wish that would have happened to make an interesting last few stages. Change the Quintana narrative.

Clean39T
09-12-2019, 01:34 PM
Happy to see EF get the win today :beer:

denapista
09-12-2019, 01:41 PM
Other GC were dropped, including Tadej Pogačar (UAE-Team Emirates), Nairo Quintana (Team Movistar), and Carl Fredrik Hagen (Lotto-Soudal).

Roglic crossed the line 1:01 ahead of Quintana and Pogačar, reshuffling the battle for the overall. Quintana fell to third place overall and Pogačar fell to fifth.

kramnnim
09-12-2019, 02:24 PM
I really hope Superman and Pogi can push Movistar off the podium...

ultraman6970
09-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Looks like the guy is not having a bad day eh...!

oldpotatoe
09-13-2019, 08:04 AM
I really hope Superman and Pogi can push Movistar off the podium...

HA..'maybe' Quintana but not Valverde..2 days left..tomorrow we'll see but I think he has the second step sewn up.

GregL
09-13-2019, 09:13 AM
Crosswinds, rain, crashes, and echelons. Today's stage is proving to be challenging...

Greg

nalax
09-13-2019, 09:40 AM
If 2nd or 3rd GC crashes, will they wait for him?

denapista
09-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Drama today!

trener1
09-13-2019, 12:35 PM
Not the good kind

Clean39T
09-13-2019, 03:31 PM
Peak Movistar.

kramnnim
09-13-2019, 04:15 PM
Now I really hope Movistar gets bumped

kramnnim
09-14-2019, 11:30 AM
Well, at least Quintana is off the podium now. :banana:

weisan
09-14-2019, 11:34 AM
This kid is something else I am tellin' you...

jlwdm
09-14-2019, 12:23 PM
Spectacular ride for the podium spot.

Jeff

mhespenheide
09-14-2019, 12:39 PM
That shows some serious panache for a 20-year old. Exciting times for racing, with all the new and young faces this year.

mhespenheide
09-14-2019, 12:40 PM
And the award for the most-overused phrase of the Vuelta: "full gas".

kramnnim
09-14-2019, 03:36 PM
And the award for the most-overused phrase of the Vuelta: "full gas".

Have to ride full gas to get the bonifications.

Clean39T
09-14-2019, 03:41 PM
Now I really hope Movistar gets bumpedPrayers answered.....mostly.

Elefantino
09-15-2019, 01:41 PM
The podium. A great race.

Clean39T
09-15-2019, 02:03 PM
The podium. A great race.

It really was a great race from this fan's perspective. The roads, the action, the drama - it had everything. I'm all-in on wanting to visit Spain and do some riding around this time next year...

And I hope all who went down will be back up soon. The EF gang. Tony Martin. Et. Al.

merckxman
09-15-2019, 02:34 PM
It was a real eye opener how beautiful and diverse Spain is. Terrific racing too.

Buzz
09-15-2019, 03:04 PM
Another Vuelta fan here. The last couple of years have been fun to watch. Lots of action, drama and wonderful scenery.

ultraman6970
09-15-2019, 03:52 PM
Never thought roglic was going to be able to stand such ammount of climbing. He climbs ok but against all of the other guys?

Great for him, valverde as usual right there and for his age the guys is just superman, you cant deny that.

And Nairo, well... IMO Nairo has the same problem all the colmbian riders have. 2 or 3 years on top and then downhill from there. There is anotehr option tho.... they told him not to race. Who knows.

jlwdm
09-15-2019, 07:58 PM
The stage 1 team time trial put Pogacar and Roglic behind Movistar and Astana.

Astana: won the TTT

Movistar: 16 seconds back

Jumbo Visma: 40 seconds back because of a crash due to the water on the road in one corner which also cost them Kruijswijk. With Tony Martin on the team they should have had a great time trial. Kruisjwijk might have been the biggest challenger to Roglic depending on team tactics.

UAE: 1:07 back of Astana and 51 seconds back of Movistar.

Makes it even more impressive what Roglic and Pogacar did.

Jeff

mhespenheide
09-15-2019, 09:39 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this year's Vuelta, and Roglic is clearly a deserving winner. No reservations there.

But part of me wonders, idly, what the race might have been like if Carapaz, Dumoulin, and GThomas had lined up to start... (Just fun speculation for more fireworks, not taking anything away from Roglic.)

oldpotatoe
09-16-2019, 06:19 AM
and...for big dan..5 out of the top ten..sponsored by Campagnolo..FORZA!!

:)

Big Dan
09-16-2019, 07:35 AM
and...for big dan..5 out of the top ten..sponsored by Campagnolo..FORZA!!

:)

You are so sad man.
What a joke you are.

oldpotatoe
09-16-2019, 07:55 AM
You are so sad man.
What a joke you are are.

:):)'hare' 'hare'..teehee...

Big Dan
09-16-2019, 07:59 AM
:):)'are' 'are'..teehee...

That's all you got?
Get some help old man.

oldpotatoe
09-16-2019, 08:01 AM
That's all you got?
Get some help old man.

sure thingy sonny...:)

Elefantino
09-16-2019, 08:26 AM
I don't recall seeing a lot of Shimano tattoos.

:bike:

oldpotatoe
09-16-2019, 08:39 AM
I don't recall seeing a lot of Shimano tattoos.

:bike:

Doing a search for bike tattoos..some really keen and interesting ones..The first is a shimano hub, I think. Couldn't find a sram tattoo...:)

Elefantino
09-16-2019, 11:10 AM
Found one...

http://nextluxury.com/wp-content/uploads/hunting-and-fishing-pole-tattoos-for-men-on-ribs.jpg

oldpotatoe
09-16-2019, 12:25 PM
Found one...

http://nextluxury.com/wp-content/uploads/hunting-and-fishing-pole-tattoos-for-men-on-ribs.jpg

Ouch, on the ribs, bet that hurt. Nicely done tho...thought I saw some tattoos on Roglic...might have been a Campagnolo tattoo, not sure tho..
DOH!