PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Pricing

jefleisc
12-19-2006, 04:46 PM
My Serotta dealer is telling me that their are no discounts on Serotta frames. He says that MSRP is the price.

I thought MSRP was kinda' like automobile sticker price???

:crap:

Have all of you payed MSRP for your Serotta frame?

Should I find a new Serotta dealer?

Thanks.

Lanternrouge
12-19-2006, 04:52 PM
For the most part, the price on a frame on any frame is the price.

If you belong to a club sponsored by the shop, you may get a discount. Even so, I would not expect more than 10%. If you want a Serotta but don't want to pay full price, you can wait until one in stock is on sale or look in the classifieds on ebay until you find what you want.

jefleisc
12-19-2006, 04:53 PM
I don't mind paying full price as long as I'm not being taken advantage of.

dirtdigger88
12-19-2006, 04:55 PM
is it your first time at the shop-

are you just buying the frame or a whole bike-

are you a P.I.T.A- that always costs more- :p

my guess is the shop CAN move on the price- if they wanted to

Jason

Ozz
12-19-2006, 04:59 PM
I payed full price for my CSI frame, fork & custom paint, but the shop gave me a bit of break on the components.

jefleisc
12-19-2006, 05:02 PM
1. Yes, they come highly recommended.

2. Built-up bike.

3. I don't think so... :bike:

AgilisMerlin
12-19-2006, 05:02 PM
If you like the frame and the shop, pay the price and they will take care of you.

But it seems you have some trepidation.

Find another Serotta dealer and call them, and see what their quote on the model is. If they ask why, tell them your concerns and ask them their price.

Not rocket science. Keep it local. Shops are taking a beating lately :no:

Have fun with it. Buying a bike is supposed to be enjoyable. It is OK to be a shopper, cause' you always end up with what you really want.

AmerliN

Len J
12-19-2006, 05:04 PM
I payed full price for my CSI frame, fork & custom paint, but the shop gave me a bit of break on the components.

especially for a first time customer.

Len

dirtdigger88
12-19-2006, 05:04 PM
1. Yes, they come highly recommended.

2. Built-up bike.

3. I don't think so... :bike:

first time in a shop- yes you are paying MSRP-

keep going back- by you third or fourth bike maybe they will throw in a water bottle or something- no really- I would think the shop will work with you on some part of the deal-

asking for a discount is eating into the shops profits- you want your shop to be there next year and the year after-

buy the bike and enjoy-

Jason

AgilisMerlin
12-19-2006, 05:12 PM
forgot to add,

you might question the price,

but you will never question the Frame :banana:

AmerliN

Ti Designs
12-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Serotta's focus is on quality and fit, they don't play the discount price game. The set price on their frames allow shops to put a full effort into doing a good fitting and spending the time with the customer to get every detail right. I've done that with a number of Colnago customers only to have them purchase the bike somewhere else because it saved them a few bucks.

The bicycle industry was killing itself a few years back, everything was grey market and on-line sales were hurting full service shops. Shimano took the first steps in putting an end to that with their sales policy on components. Serotta is going along with that policy because it favors the dealers. Without the dealers, Serotta's stance on fit is dead in the water. The bike makers have figured out a way around Shimano's price fixing, as have the shops. Price an Ultegra equiped stock bike out - say a Madone or a Tarmac. The price of the frame plus the price of it's parts is far higher than the real price, but no price is attached to any one part, so it's all good. It works for the shop as well, because the loss of a few points on the sale of a whole bike is just fine.

Lastly, go ahead and compare Serotta's frames to other builder's frames - but make it a fair comparison. We sell other custom ti frames made by local builders, but they fall well short of the Legend. The same can be said for their carbon/titanium bikes and the Ottrott. Try to compare apples to apples (the fruit, not the computer company) and you'll see that Serotta offers one hell of a value.

wdlewis
12-19-2006, 05:26 PM
I paid full price for my Ottrott ST frame and I paid full price for my Lexus cars.

I got a great quality product from both companies.

I get absolutely stunning service from both dealers.

I would not trade the service or product quality for a discount. Any money saved would be spent and forgotten and I want the bike shop, Bicycle Link, to stay in business for a long time. I want Serotta to be there if needed.

There is truth in the saying that you get what you pay for.

zap
12-19-2006, 05:42 PM
snipped, cut, hacked........

I paid full price for my Ottrott ST frame and I paid full price for my Lexus cars.

:banana:

Ti Designs
12-19-2006, 05:43 PM

If you parked your brand new Lexus right in front of the shop, you got charged full price for the Serotta...

Just kidding. Like I said before, we don't discount Serotta frames, nor should any dealer. You do know how to ride in style - which model Lexus?

Smiley
12-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Additionally most Serotta full bike sales include the fit service . The operative word is MOST include this as part of the bike purchase.

BoulderGeek
12-19-2006, 06:01 PM
I come from the frugal (poor) perspective.

I always thought that a Serotta was out of my price range, something that the trustafarians and rich folk had. Bicycle Porsches.

I had many nice bike, which I spec'd and tweaked to get teh best price/performance that I could. I always cut corners (Dura Ace over Campy, aluminum over Ti, cheap Ti over custom, etc).

I bought my Serotta semi-new last summer, a demo bike with a few miles on it. The price was really attractive for a few dings and scratches.

Finally I come to my point: NOW I know what having a Serotta is all about! And, still, some would say that I don't, since I have stock (non custom) geometry.

The ride quality, the build quality, the gestalt is far better than the other race bikes I have ridden. I've never ridden a Colnago, Pinarello, Guerciotti, Litespeed, etc that had this feel, stability, solidity and smoothness.

Now, I would pay full MSRP for a Serotta.

But, I had to be shown. I had to learn to believe.

Smiley
12-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Drank the Kool Aid :) what flavor did it for you. From a guy in the tank for Serotta. Its pennies a mile extra for what you think your paying and you get many more smiles per mile in return :banana:

Ti Designs
12-19-2006, 06:18 PM
The ride quality, the build quality, the gestalt is far better than the other race bikes I have ridden. I've never ridden a Colnago, Pinarello, Guerciotti, Litespeed, etc that had this feel, stability, solidity and smoothness.

I told myself 20 years ago that when I could spell "Guerciotti" I would leave the bike industry - I'm a slow learner...

My Serotta IS the budget bike for me. I'm one of those people who never fit well on any stock bike, so I had Peter Mooney build my first (and second and third and...) custom frame. When I was all done racing I got myself an expensive custom carbon/ti bike. Two years later I was broke and so was my expensive frame, so it was time for the budget bike. I would have killed for a Fierte in custom geometry. As luck would have it, that's where the La Corsa came from. My Serotta cost 1/3rd less for the frame than what it replaced, and I feel it's a far better bike - that's value.

Dan Le foot
12-19-2006, 07:01 PM
It is my understanding that to be a Serotta dealer you have to agree not to discount the frames.
However, if you are building a bike at the LBS you may be able to negotiate a deal on the components. Much larger margins on that stuff.
Good luck.
Dan

MarleyMon
12-19-2006, 07:17 PM
on Fierte Steel bikes at my LBS in Indy. Today I saw three 2006 ($2400) and a couple of 2004 ($2K), all Ultegra. I'm interested in what any of you think of the all steel rear triangle v. the carbon seat stays on the Fierte.

weaponsgrade
12-19-2006, 07:18 PM
When I got my custom Serotta a few years ago the shop gave me a small discount because I didn't pay with a credit card. I also bought a full Chorus kit from them and they gave me a free upgrade to Record hubs. The "best" deal I saw on a new Serotta frame was when the shop was selling a Ti frameset $1000 (orig price. $1525). I think the frame had sat around for a while. At SF Veloswap, the Sierra/Kodak team had a sale on their Serotta team bikes. I think they were asking $3500 with Record.

jmc22
12-19-2006, 09:03 PM
I am not a dealer but have delt with my LBS both back in Nj and here in Co and it is my understanding that Serotta dealers are not permitted to sell frames for less then the MSRP unless they are older models that the shop has been sitting with... generally frames that have been sitting in a LBS showroom for say a year or have been a demo model can be sold at a discount so long as they receive prior approval from Serotta...Also Serotta will allow a dealer to sell for less the MSRP if they sponsor a team and they are using them as team frames...
Serotta is a lot like say Oakley in which the dealers agree not to discount their items, this is to prevent dealers from undermining each other...Typically a dealer will be warned on their 1st offence if they are found to be selling an item for less then MSRP, then lose their dealership rights if further occurrences arise..
Bottom line, expect to pay full-price unless you are a racer for a LBS, hook up with a close-out or demo frame from a LBS or from Serotta or buy one on E-bay...either way, they are well worth the price of admission

vaxn8r
12-20-2006, 01:12 AM
Finally I come to my point: NOW I know what having a Serotta is all about! And, still, some would say that I don't, since I have stock (non custom) geometry....

I would suggest that a stock frame brings out the true Serotta ride because they are not constrained to weird fit patterns. Feel lucky you/we can ride stock.

rePhil
12-20-2006, 06:29 AM
I think Serotta is wise to enforce a MSRP. A dealer can offer incentives in other areas to close the deal.
Knowing that everyone pays the same for a frame makes me feel a bit better.

At this point I know what numbers I need to get a good fit. I don't think a fit session would be of any benefit. The only Serotta in my future will be a stock geo used frame.

zap
12-20-2006, 11:09 AM
snipped

It is my understanding that to be a Serotta dealer you have to agree not to discount the frames.

I would find it very interesting if any such clause were to be found in a signed dealer agreement.

mavic1010
12-20-2006, 11:18 AM
If you are uncomfortable paying MSRP, shop around a bit. In the end, you are giving them YOUR money.

For some that like to pay MSRP for service, etc, that's great.

I have yet to pay MSRP for a car, bike, components etc...

I'm not the government. I don't subsidize bad business decisions.

csm
12-20-2006, 11:29 AM
how is paying msrp on bicycles akin to subsidizing bad business decisions?

mavic1010
12-20-2006, 11:43 AM
We are suggesting that we should help our LBS and not try to negotiate too much on price.

If a business owner needs to charge MSRP to sustain their business model when the market has obviously become even more competitive, then that's a bad business decision. Business owners need to be more strategic and understand market conditions to compete successfully.

SoCalSteve
12-20-2006, 11:47 AM
snipped

I would find it very interesting if any such clause were to be found in a signed dealer agreement.

I do believe it is against the law to "fair trade" an item....But, I am no lawyer (I just play one on TV)....But, there may be something "unwritten".

I know of at least one Serotta dealer that is more than willing to give me a nice discount on anything Serotta I want to buy.....So, I'm not sure how all this holds up...

Serpico
12-20-2006, 12:16 PM
I would suggest that a stock frame brings out the true Serotta ride because they are not constrained to weird fit patterns. Feel lucky you/we can ride stock.

+1

92degrees
12-20-2006, 12:30 PM
I know of at least one Serotta dealer that is more than willing to give me a nice discount on anything Serotta I want to buy.....So, I'm not sure how all this holds up...

That was my experience, and we live on opposite coasts.

xlbs
12-20-2006, 01:12 PM
I spent a few years, a few years ago, selling Serottas. MSRP is just that.

One of my competitors did some deep discounting on some Serotta products; his customers started coming to my store for service because his service was also deeply discounted. The end result was that I became the sole Serotta dealer in the area, but with happy customers. I didn't have to discount to get the business, and we all ended up doing well. When everyone works hard at fulfilling their end of the "deal", all benefit: win, win, win.

Discount shopping works some of the time, but when it comes to buying a premium product why not pay a regularized price that matches what others pay in order to get a great product? You really do get what you pay for; in the case of a well-fitted Serotta, I believe you get more than what you pay for!!

Just my 'umble opinion after serving about 20 years in the bicycle industry...

I

BURCH
12-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Unfortunately, I move around a lot and never get to know a shop really well. I bought my Serotta with no discount on the frame, but got 10% on components and shoes. It was my first time buying a bike from this dealer, but I had bought some minor stuff there earlier in the year.

With that being said, I can't see any reason why a shop would cut a break to someone on a frame (serotta or any custom frame) unless that someone were a great repeat customer that rides with the shop and buys there year after year. There are always exceptions though.

72gmc
12-20-2006, 02:04 PM

+2

This is why I asked the custom framebuilder I'm working with if he had any "stock" geometries to start with. When the day comes that I scratch my Serotta itch I will do my darndest to fit a stock size as well....

...and pay full price, probably. I don't equate a discount to something like a Serotta. It's a want, not a need. It's unique, so there's no comparison shopping. It's worth it to me, or it's not and I get something else.

CNY rider
12-20-2006, 02:13 PM
I think it makes sense to price shop on everyday, commodity items. I don't want to pay more for toothpaste than I have to, so I'm willing to go for a lower price at one store versus another, all things being equal. I don't see it that way with a one-off, hand crafted item like a custom bicycle. It is, by it's very nature, a luxury, and the money I am paying goes to support the artisans making it and the shop selling it. They're not some nameless, faceless commodity producer.