PDA

View Full Version : Never mind

scottcw2
08-23-2019, 10:52 AM

rinconryder
08-23-2019, 11:09 AM
I have had a Tesla model S for almost two years now. I’ve never loved a car but I love this car. The coolest thing to me is the lack of maintenance and moving parts that can break yet the sheer acceleration and urgency that car can have when you put your foot on the pedal.

I once had a moots compact with Di2 on it. I sold it and wish I had not. I think that is the closest bike I have owned to the Tesla experience. The toughness and smoothness of ti, incredibly balanced geometry and the shifting perfection and lack of maintenance with Di2.

45K10
08-23-2019, 11:23 AM
Second on getting a Moots. Every Moots I have ever ridden even the ones that didn't fit me felt great.

I'm glad you like your Tesla but I'm really looking forward to trying out a Rivian. It seems pretty thought out so I hope it meets my expectations.

Lionel
08-23-2019, 11:25 AM
I think the bike equivalent of a Tesla is an electric bike.

People who love Teslas are not car guys. Describing a Model3 as "engaging" makes my point on that.

R3awak3n
08-23-2019, 11:45 AM

People who love Teslas are not car guys. Describing a Model3 as "engaging" makes my point on that.

I have to say, although I really enjoyed driving a tesla - hey its cool - its not what I consider a road connected car, its the opposite from that. Its space ship, screens everywhere, controlling your every move, ect. Sure the car is fast, in a straight line.

I just drove my moms old VW Polo (smaller than golf, cheaper than golf, no bells and whistles) and it blew my mind how awesome that car was when it comes to really feel connected to the road, everything you did you got feedback.

yinzerniner
08-23-2019, 11:55 AM

Kind of harsh, but somewhat similar to my own opinions on the driving experience of the Tesla.

But it really depends on what your value in terms of "driving experience." I've drive every model of Tesla with the exception of the X (debilitating falconphobia, natch) and all have impressed with regards to their outright speed, cornering grip and steering accuracy but they've all lacked the tangible connection of the best car's I've ever driven. In other words (and this is just FOR ME, not for anyone else) whenever I drove a Tesla I felt like I was telling the car what to do as opposed to actually physically MAKING the car react. When I turned the steering wheel it matched the effort and line I expected, but I never felt like I was making the car move that way. When hitting the "gas" pedal it never felt like my foot was opening up the throttle and increasing the input of power, but rather that I was just pushing a button that turned something up.

Also to note, the teslas never gave me any road input and/or feedback trough the wheel or the chassis. When the road condition changed I could never feel it though a slight vibration change in the steering or chassis, and when cornering for dry vs wet roads I could never feel the difference in grip or weight distribution.

For the OP it seems like this is the exact opposite reaction to his own experiences with a Tesla. But for something where you have the most direct connection to a bike that anticipates and reacts telepathically, a perfectly fitting track and/or crit bike would probably be the answer.

mhespenheide
08-23-2019, 01:11 PM
No comment on the Tesla. I haven't driven one.

Bike-wise, though, I've owned two bikes that fit your description of being engaged and connected to the road, with the bike being an eager partner: a Cervelo R3 and a LeMond Ti "Victoire". I haven't had the extensive experience across a broad variety of bikes and brands that others on the board have, but those two were like the metaphorical equivalents of puppies or your friend from college egging you on: "come on, let's play, we got this..."

But really, this sounds like a question about handling and therefore weight distribution and therefore fit, so everyone's going to have a slightly different answer.

nmrt
08-23-2019, 01:38 PM
+1
Drove a Model S. Superb neck snapping acceleration. But engaging? Connected to the road? Road feel? Nope, Nope and Nope. If I were to get a Tesla it would not be because I want a "driver's" car. I'd say the equivalent of a Tesla is a an electric Huffy! ;)

Tickdoc
08-23-2019, 03:17 PM
I would submit that one of the newer specialized models with the dampeners on the stem and seatpost. I rented one a while back (forget the model) and never felt so disconnected to the road. What I found odd was how the stem soaks the bumps upwards. Maybe it was a smoother ride? I couldn’t wait to get back to one of my old school bikes with rim brakes and a more connected feel.

I haven’t driven any Tesla models, but I would suggest trying a pre mid 2000’s bmw if you want to feel connected.

scottcw2
08-23-2019, 03:27 PM

yinzerniner
08-23-2019, 03:45 PM
Rather than tell me that I am not really connected to the road when driving my Tesla, maybe answer the question posed.

I'm pretty confident in how I experience my car, thanks.

The problem it that people are questioning your opinion because it runs counter to what they've themselves experienced (myself included). As such, it's tough to deliver a helpful opinion when there's no shared understanding.

And that's totally OK. For you the advanced engineering of the Tesla makes you feel more connected to the road and the driving experience. For others, the advances detract from their connection.

If technological advancement in the service of ultimate performance is the end-all be-all then maybe something like the Turbo Creo SL would match your style.

But when you start off with:
I recently purchased a Tesla Model 3, my first new car in 15 years. I'm not a big car guy, but this car has impressed.

That seems to indicate that some driving in other vehicles is necessary to further your knowledge base, experience and preferences.

"Taste is made of a thousand distastes" and all that good jazz.

zetroc
08-23-2019, 03:54 PM
Alfa 4C or bust. Talk about connected to the road. But the bike equivalent is, as stated previously, any ebike.

Burnette
08-23-2019, 04:31 PM

This pretty much sims it up. A bicycle comparable to a Tesla would indeed be an ebike that was high priced, had questionable build quality and it would be the opposite of what an enthusiast would purchase.

scottcw2
08-23-2019, 04:32 PM

FlashUNC
08-23-2019, 05:01 PM
A bike of marginal build quality from a builder with an iffy reputation and provides banal riding characteristics while leading with the marketing based on technology?

Cervelo S5.

https://cdn.shoplightspeed.com/shops/614837/files/14504961/cervelo-cycles-2019-cervelo-s5-disc-ultegra-r8020.jpg

AngryScientist
08-23-2019, 05:18 PM
A bike of marginal build quality from a builder with an iffy reputation and provides banal riding characteristics while leading with the marketing based on technology?

Cervelo S5.

https://cdn.shoplightspeed.com/shops/614837/files/14504961/cervelo-cycles-2019-cervelo-s5-disc-ultegra-r8020.jpg

A+ analysis!

jtbadge
08-23-2019, 05:19 PM
Flash, savage as ever

Burnette
08-23-2019, 05:26 PM

Cervelo S5.

On point here.

And that bike is beautiful until you get to that head tube/handlebar junction. C'mon Cervelo! Fix it!

Bruce K
08-23-2019, 05:37 PM
And it looks like we’re done

BK