PDA

View Full Version : Advise for 35s tubeless tires (Bon Jon vs G-One Speed)

beta_hat
08-23-2019, 10:01 AM
I have narrowed two "big" tires for a Fall/Winter/Spring bike I am putting together (older Seven Mudhoney). I am thinking Bon Jon Pass Extralight or Schwalbe G-One Speed that are both 35s and can run tubeless.

Type of riding? I think this new project will be used for training during the fall-winter, will likely have fenders and since the roads get really crappy during the winter months, bigger tires are a must. I am also a sucker for plush, smooth riding tires. I do not think I will go off-pavement much, but there will be sections where that will be the case-- I would say probably 5-10% of the time.

May, but unlikely, do a CX ride or two if I can fit it in my schedule but I am mostly a roadie.

Does anyone have experience with both tires and can comment on their experience and opinion on one over the other? Appreciate any feedback!

AngryScientist
08-23-2019, 10:04 AM
the compass tires win hands down if you are almost 100% on the road.

they will not be much good at CX though, that's just not what they are for.

beta_hat
08-23-2019, 10:13 AM
the compass tires win hands down if you are almost 100% on the road.

they will not be much good at CX though, that's just not what they are for.

You are right about that! I don’t think G-One speed would even cut it for CX, I’m guessing.

ColonelJLloyd
08-23-2019, 10:14 AM
I've used the 30mm G-One Speed tubeless, but not a whole lot. No experience with the 35mm version. I've used the Bon Jon EL a whole lot. Both great tires. It's hard to imagine a tire that beats the BJP EL.

ryker
08-23-2019, 10:15 AM
I switched from Extralight Bon Jons to 35mm G-One speeds. Tubeless performance on G-Ones is objectively better than Bon Jons — it's not even close. On the subjective side I rate them about the same for ride comfort however I feel the G-Ones have a "stickier" connection to the ground (clean tarmac and basic gravel). No difference in speed that I could discern. Thousands of kilometres on both tires, compared on same bikes/wheels, etc. YMMV.

ColonelJLloyd
08-23-2019, 10:19 AM
I switched from Extralight Bon Jons to 35mm G-One speeds. Tubeless performance on G-Ones is objectively better than Bon Jons — it's not even close.

Hmm. Do tell. What is "tubeless performance".

My BJPs setup easy as could be and I've had not leaking, seepage or the like. In other words, by any objective measure they have done what they're supposed to do.

AngryScientist
08-23-2019, 10:27 AM
i think the first batch or so of tubeless compass tires had some issues setting up tubeless, but those have been remedied on the current iterations.

R3awak3n
08-23-2019, 10:47 AM
I agree with what everyone has said, neither prob good for CX if very muddy.

Also not CX tires but at least have some thread and always treat me right are Gravel Kings SKs. I think they have a 35mm version. Also they have a new MUD versior as well.

weiwentg
08-23-2019, 12:37 PM
I agree with what everyone has said, neither prob good for CX if very muddy.

Also not CX tires but at least have some thread and always treat me right are Gravel Kings SKs. I think they have a 35mm version. Also they have a new MUD versior as well.

The GravelKing SKs seem pretty OK on the road. I can confirm they've got a 35mm version since those are on my CX bike right now (for a gravel ride, not for CX).

NoMoreParagon
08-23-2019, 12:59 PM
I have narrowed two "big" tires for a Fall/Winter/Spring bike I am putting together (older Seven Mudhoney). I am thinking Bon Jon Pass Extralight or Schwalbe G-One Speed that are both 35s and can run tubeless.

Type of riding? I think this new project will be used for training during the fall-winter, will likely have fenders and since the roads get really crappy during the winter months, bigger tires are a must. I am also a sucker for plush, smooth riding tires. I do not think I will go off-pavement much, but there will be sections where that will be the case-- I would say probably 5-10% of the time.

May, but unlikely, do a CX ride or two if I can fit it in my schedule but I am mostly a roadie.

Does anyone have experience with both tires and can comment on their experience and opinion on one over the other? Appreciate any feedback!

I would stay away from Compass. I wanted to love em but only got bad experiences. Must have owned at least 5 pairs. They are unreasonable expensive, and they suffer from serious QC issues.

Tubeless sealant “breaths” through the sidewalls. Two tires had manufacturing defects evident in the carcass bumps.

Moreover the sidewalls on the extralite version are ridiculously delicate. I cant explain myself how can those extralite tires can be marketed as adventure all road tires. Do one normal gravel ride with normal rocks and there will be cuts.

The Panaracer were so much better for me. They are more resistant, cheaper , easier to set up tubeless.

I have been using the 35mm and 38mm slick tires and they are amazing. I can’t recommend them enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HTupolev
08-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Moreover the sidewalls on the extralite version are ridiculously delicate. I cant explain myself how can those extralite tires can be marketed as adventure all road tires. Do one normal gravel ride with normal rocks and there will be cuts.
Part of the reason is that RH recommends high width. Gravel needs to be quite rough for there to be significant abrasion up to the sidewalls on my Rat Trap Pass ELs, for instance. Bon Jons being only 35mm wide, I'd probably recommend against them for a bike that's going to see lots of chunky stuff.

sg8357
08-23-2019, 04:36 PM
The answer is C: Gravel King slick 35mm, TLC and available in color!

jtakeda
08-23-2019, 04:42 PM
I’m a compass fan but will admit, for rocky terrain they are not great.

I did one gravel ride on a nearly new set if Barlow Pass 38s and the next day the rear tire exploded on the sidewall.
No obvious cut, I was riding to pick up a soldering iron I lent out and hit a small bump and BOOM

For road—compass 100%

Pinned
08-26-2019, 10:12 AM
I wanted to throw out yet another suggestion - the Schwalbe G-One Allround. It's actually a bit lighter than the G-One Speed according to Schwalbe, but it also provides slightly deeper tread (using a similar / identical pattern). For wet conditions it's quite nice, and it does very well on dirt roads. I've been riding the 38mm version for a while and I'm surprised at how confident it is on the dirt, even on some single track and in wetter conditions it's been OK.

Worth the consideration. But also, the Gravelking is a tough option to beat for a 90% road commute given the price and quality.

MikeD
08-26-2019, 12:11 PM
I would stay away from Compass. I wanted to love em but only got bad experiences. Must have owned at least 5 pairs. They are unreasonable expensive, and they suffer from serious QC issues.

Tubeless sealant “breaths” through the sidewalls. Two tires had manufacturing defects evident in the carcass bumps.

The Panaracer were so much better for me. They are more resistant, cheaper , easier to set up tubeless.

I have been using the 35mm and 38mm slick tires and they are amazing. I can’t recommend them enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I'm using Hutchinson Overides now. More durable and better tubeless performance than Compass and probably Panaracer as well. My problems with Compass were sealant bleeding through the sidewalls, weak beads that permanently stretch, and a bubble in the tread.

beta_hat
10-02-2019, 12:29 PM
Went with Bon Jovis and they ride phenomenal. Will have to try to keep them clean but I know I will eventually stop caring after putting some serious milage.

adampaiva
10-02-2019, 01:10 PM
tire cleaner from Autozone will help keep you lookin' fresh

and that Seven definitely lookin' fresh

AngryScientist
10-02-2019, 01:18 PM
that is a lovely bike indeed.

personally, i prefer the look of dirty sidewalls, gives the bike a "well traveled" look.

how easily did they set up tubeless for ya?

beta_hat
10-02-2019, 03:38 PM
that is a lovely bike indeed.

how easily did they set up tubeless for ya?

Setup was relatively easy with the compressor at the shop. Seem to hold air well so far but haven't logged more than 12 miles on them.

ajax
10-19-2019, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=NoMoreParagon;2583968]I would stay away from Compass. I wanted to love em but only got bad experiences. Must have owned at least 5 pairs. They are unreasonable expensive, and they suffer from serious QC issues.

+1 I have had a very similar experience with Compass/Rene Hearse.

hairylegs
10-19-2019, 03:18 PM
I loved my schwalbe slicks (34?) when I was doing mixed on the same
Rims... now I’ve got a dedicated set for grave I run wtb riddlers

Mzilliox
11-11-2019, 10:03 AM
anyone try out these ritchey tires? I think they look cool, and are the right size for my needs, any experience out there?

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/alpine-jb-tire