PDA

View Full Version : Best Practices for Heavy Sweaters?

BRad704
08-22-2019, 08:43 AM
So this doesn't affect me personally, but I have 2 friends whom I 'wrench' for... and they both are very very heavy sweaters... And they both end up with the same problems about 3x per year. corroded cables and stuck front derailleurs.

I know the first thing they both need to do is clean their own bikes WAY more often... like after every ride. But they just dont.

So is there any preventative best practice(s) to help keep things from salting-up for them?

My first and only idea is to methodically use grease on the FD pivots, so any sweat doesn't have a chance to get into the pivots. Think that would even help?

How do you deal with preventing component issues from sweat/salt/buildup?

Pic just for fun... because Cross is Coming!
https://i.imgur.com/sF8htOT.jpg

papa bless
08-22-2019, 09:00 AM
I have the same problem. I sweat a lot, and my sweat is loaded with salt. I usually use a cheap rear brake because my sweat tends to drip off my body and land there, corroding any bare metal. Your friends need to at least just rinse their bikes off. A good rinsing does wonders to get the salt off.

charliedid
08-22-2019, 09:04 AM
Fire them.

simonov
08-22-2019, 09:10 AM
Same problem here. I just wipe my bikes down with a wet rag after every ride and if it was particularly sweaty or rainy, I'll quickly hose it down. Full washing is reserved for weekends or when I have extra time and the bike really needs it. But the wipe down takes about 3 minutes, if that, and does wonders to prevent the buildup.

Also, change bar tape often. A lot of crap builds up around the shifters.

CDollarsign
08-22-2019, 09:29 AM
I sweat gallons. Best practice is wiping down the bike and a good wash atleast once a month. I lube all my pivot points and chain after the wash. I have never dealt with a seized FD or corroded cables...

mt2u77
08-22-2019, 09:47 AM
IMO, a wipe down does nothing for the small pivots and crevices around a FD or brake. A wipe down helps keep it looking nice, but a rinse helps keep it working nice.

For light rinsing, I bought a cheap a garden sprayer (the pump up kind used for applying lawn chemicals) that I keep filled with a very dilute soap solution. Pull into the garage, pump-pump-pump, and a few squirts around the seat tube, FD, BB, and brake. Done.

FlashUNC
08-22-2019, 09:49 AM
The solution is washing their bike. It isn't hard.

simonov
08-22-2019, 09:50 AM
Well, it does something for me and my heavy sweating (and the humid city I live in on the ocean). The rag is wet and I push it into and onto all the parts on the bike. It's not a substitute for washing, but it helps with the buildup between real washings.

BRad704
08-22-2019, 10:01 AM
IMO, a wipe down does nothing for the small pivots and crevices around a FD or brake. A wipe down helps keep it looking nice, but a rinse helps keep it working nice.

For light rinsing, I bought a cheap a garden sprayer (the pump up kind used for applying lawn chemicals) that I keep filled with a very dilute soap solution. Pull into the garage, pump-pump-pump, and a few squirts around the seat tube, FD, BB, and brake. Done.

This is a good idea. Maybe even keeping clean water in the sprayer, and a bottle of orange Simple Green beside it. Quick spritz of SG and a rinse with the sprayer. Sounds like an easy interim solution between full washings.

azrider
08-22-2019, 10:39 AM
wait........people don't clean their bikes after every ride ??

https://media2.giphy.com/media/CDJo4EgHwbaPS/200w.webp?cid=790b761156739dd43b884386b0c34e84ed7c 767908fec1bd&rid=200w.webp

BRad704
08-22-2019, 10:45 AM
wait........people don't clean their bikes after every ride ??

https://media2.giphy.com/media/CDJo4EgHwbaPS/200w.webp?cid=790b761156739dd43b884386b0c34e84ed7c 767908fec1bd&rid=200w.webp

It blows my mind too... they call every now and then like 'hey I think I need new cables, it's really hard to shift"... and it's pretty clear that I was the last one to wash, lube or even look at anything below their seat and bars.

azrider
08-22-2019, 11:10 AM
It blows my mind too... they call every now and then like 'hey I think I need new cables, it's really hard to shift"... and it's pretty clear that I was the last one to wash, lube or even look at anything below their seat and bars.

tsk tsk........

I've made it super convenient to come home and spray the bike down and leave it on patio to dry while I go inside and change and by time I come back out it's dry enough to put in the garage.

that little step adds approx 97 seconds to my routine

bigbill
08-22-2019, 11:15 AM
Titanium. My trainer bike is a Serotta Fierte Ti, I removed the rear brake and cable so I don't corrode them. I wipe around the bb (UT) every few weeks.

Main mileage and travel bike, Lynskey Helix.

Anytime I've had a frame refinished, I've had the builder/painter replace the top tube cable guides with stainless version so if the paint chips or sweat gets down in the guide, it's fine.

Garro built my gravel bike with stainless braze-ons.

But yeah, wipe your bike after a ride.

ghammer
08-22-2019, 11:17 AM
heavy sweater here too, always been. Wear long finger summer gloves not to gunk the bars. wipe a damp cloth on top tube after rides. if overly sweaty, hose the bike quickly after the ride. takes zero effort and time, and prevents destruction.

Tony
08-22-2019, 11:28 AM
So this doesn't affect me personally, but I have 2 friends whom I 'wrench' for... and they both are very very heavy sweaters... And they both end up with the same problems about 3x per year. corroded cables and stuck front derailleurs.

I know the first thing they both need to do is clean their own bikes WAY more often... like after every ride. But they just dont.

So is there any preventative best practice(s) to help keep things from salting-up for them?

My first and only idea is to methodically use grease on the FD pivots, so any sweat doesn't have a chance to get into the pivots. Think that would even help?

How do you deal with preventing component issues from sweat/salt/buildup?

Sounds like these friends don't do much upkeep, including washing (if needed). I think really all you can do is use a good waterproof grease, fd pivots and maybe even coating cables inside housing with light waterproof grease.

Veloo
08-22-2019, 12:48 PM
Ohhhh, you're referring to perspiration....

BRad704
08-22-2019, 02:20 PM
Ohhhh, you're referring to perspiration....

Reminds me of a joke. We're all adults here right? Right. Ok.

"I got a really heavy sweater for my birthday. I was hoping for a moaner or a screamer, but this is better than nothing"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

weisan
08-22-2019, 03:17 PM

First of all, how is it that you care more about their bikes than they do?

Something is wrong with this picture. :p

Personally, I sprayed WD40.

berserk87
08-22-2019, 05:11 PM
Add me to the list of folks who thought this thread was about cardigans and other cold weather casual clothing.

doomridesout
08-22-2019, 05:13 PM
Cedar chest.

gasman
08-22-2019, 05:37 PM
Woolite

Peter P.
08-22-2019, 07:32 PM
Just hose the bike down after a sweaty ride. I'd skip the time consuming wet rag wiping. Maybe do that once a week.

If a hose isn't always conveniently hooked up to the spigot, buy a 2 gallon sprayer and use that. Just spray the bike down, bounce it a couple times, and let it dry.

godfrey1112000
08-22-2019, 08:52 PM
ohhhh, you're referring to perspiration....

+1

572cv
08-22-2019, 09:02 PM
Solo makes a great sprayer. They have a model that holds about 2-3 gallons, develops great pressure and an adjustable spray pattern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ronsonic
08-22-2019, 09:16 PM

My drivetrain is clean. THat and the moving suspension bits on the mountain bike. The other stuff when it gets kinda groaty enough for me to notice.

Blue Jays
08-22-2019, 09:28 PM
Rheem is apparently going to be offering a HotWave sprayer unit to attach to a regular garden spigot.
It will reportedly raise water temperature up to 110* F. for typical household chores.

Seems like it might be a good accessory for cycling enthusiasts:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/rheemlabs-introduces-hotwave-the-multipurpose-hose-sprayer-that-never-runs-out-of-hot-water-300890581.html

oldpotatoe
08-23-2019, 06:38 AM
Wash in woolite, cold water, lay flat on towel to dry..

:)

cbbr
08-23-2019, 07:14 AM
Ride in the rain. We only have 2 conditions for most of the year - hot and 100% humidity and rain. Normally you get both in the same afternoon. Leave when it's sunny and come back in a torrential downpour - the bike is clean and you are nice and cooled down.