PDA

View Full Version : Tired of the heat and humidity

fiamme red
08-21-2019, 12:39 PM
15 miles into my ride this past Sunday, at 8:30 a.m., the bill of my cycling cap (which was flipped down to shield my eyes from the sun) was dripping as if it waereraining. The humidity has just been awful this summer around NYC.

At least this weekend looks better.

smokersteve
08-21-2019, 12:42 PM
I’ll take heat over cold any day of the week!

rwsaunders
08-21-2019, 12:49 PM
Sweat is another weakness leaving the body...

bigbill
08-21-2019, 01:14 PM
It was 103 degrees with 6% humidity here yesterday. Right now it's 99 and 5%. Later in the day you have to remember not to rub your eyes, all the dried salt on your face makes them burn.

GOTHBROOKS
08-21-2019, 01:15 PM
time for a zwift campout

azrider
08-21-2019, 01:37 PM
This thread gets a big eye roll from me

Sigh....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190821/b163acd38712c2c89a7eff9112f9c4f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiamme red
08-21-2019, 01:38 PM

Sigh....But you don't have humidity.

Ken Robb
08-21-2019, 01:41 PM
Sunny 71F in La Jolla. A few miles inland and it's 90+.

azrider
08-21-2019, 01:47 PM
But you don't have humidity.

au contraire mon frere

during Monsoon season (June-Sept) it can sometimes get just as bad if it doesn't actually rain..........this year has been really bad with monsoons "threatening" to rain but non has actually happened yet.....it's gross outside

But having grown up in the midwest (St. Louis then Chicago), I know what you mean comparatively speaking

zzy
08-21-2019, 01:49 PM
eh this summer hasn't even been that bad in the city and the muggy weather is over this weekend

Elefantino
08-21-2019, 01:53 PM
This (https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/climate-environment/climate-change-america/) was not hopeful.

Big Dan
08-21-2019, 01:54 PM
We are at 62% humidity and low 90's today in S Fla.
Ready for a cold front.

:help:

Dead Man
08-21-2019, 02:16 PM
oregon didnt even get a summer this year

notsew
08-21-2019, 02:19 PM
oregon didnt even get a summer this year

Word, same with up here. I've been hot like once. It's raining and 64 right now.

Tickdoc
08-21-2019, 02:20 PM
15 miles into my ride this past Sunday, at 8:30 a.m., the bill of my cycling cap (which was flipped down to shield my eyes from the sun) was dripping as if it waereraining. The humidity has just been awful this summer around NYC.

He He He....heat index here was 111 yesterday. I haven't ridden without a bill of a hat dripping....make that streaming....from sweat in months.

Matthew
08-21-2019, 02:21 PM
Give it a few months. You'll be wishing for sweat. I will be here in Michigan anyway. Ugh, I hate winter.

rcnute
08-21-2019, 02:23 PM

I was an hour south of Phoenix a month ago. It was 110. I call BS on that "dry heat" bit!

Ryan

GregL
08-21-2019, 02:26 PM
After a rough May-June, summer has been pretty good in CNY. Looking forward to 35 miles on the tandem this evening with the local cycling club.

CNY rider
08-21-2019, 02:42 PM
After a rough May-June, summer has been pretty good in CNY. Looking forward to 35 miles on the tandem this evening with the local cycling club.

We have friends and relatives down in NYC and surrounding areas.
Their summer has been very different from ours.
It's always cooler up here but the difference in temp and humidity has been particularly noticeable this year.
Not only is their baseline normal temp higher but they have been well above normal, whereas upstate has been at or just below normal much of this summer.
Glad we don't live down there!

makoti
08-21-2019, 02:45 PM
It was 103 degrees with 6% humidity here yesterday. Right now it's 99 and 5%. Later in the day you have to remember not to rub your eyes, all the dried salt on your face makes them burn.

6%. Wow. Is there even a dew point?
In DC, it's been 70+ humidity, dew point 73. Just awful.

makoti
08-21-2019, 02:49 PM

Sigh....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are our "feels like" temps, while wrapped in a wet blanket.

Spaghetti Legs
08-21-2019, 02:49 PM
It has been pretty much dank and disgusting since mid May here in Virginia. I grew up in eastern NC and pretty much every day this whole summer has been like the worst of the August days when I was a kid, i.e. humid and 90 degrees.

I do have a bailout option, though, in that I can go up to the Blue Ridge Parkway to ride. Usually about 10 degrees cooler, but still some suffering involved.

Dave
08-21-2019, 02:51 PM
Here in northern Colorado, it's already a tad chilly at 7 a.m. I've seen as low as 56. But 3 hours later it may be over 80, which is hot to me. Humidity is extremely low.

pdonk
08-21-2019, 02:55 PM
Toronto the only City where people complain about humidity in the summer and wind chill in the winter in over 200 languages.

I avoided most of this summer's humidity by riding really early in the morning.

The worst feeling is at the end of the work day, having been in AC all day and walking into the soup.

bigbill
08-21-2019, 03:03 PM
I hate to get in a whizzing contest here, but has anyone other than me in this group done deployments to the Persian Gulf in the summer? It's not a dry heat, it'll be 120 degrees with high humidity. I was doing it on aircraft carriers and at the main feed pumps for the boilers, it was usually 160 degrees. The guy operating the pumps would stand under a vent duct blowing 120 degree air as much as possible before venturing out into the 160. We'd reduce the length of watches from 5 hours to 3 because of heat stress. If I was out in the engineroom, I'd drink a gallon of water every three hours and still lose weight.

The worst part was showering. We turned off the water heaters in the bathrooms. The potable water tanks were in the bottom of the ship and the seawater temperatures were 105+ degrees so the cold water was hot tub temperature. There just wasn't a way to cool off.

weiwentg
08-21-2019, 03:10 PM

It still is over 100 degrees.

bikeridah
08-21-2019, 03:14 PM
Are people allowed to ride bikes on aircraft carrier decks?

I hate to get in a whizzing contest here, but has anyone other than me in this group done deployments to the Persian Gulf in the summer? It's not a dry heat, it'll be 120 degrees with high humidity. I was doing it on aircraft carriers and at the main feed pumps for the boilers, it was usually 160 degrees. The guy operating the pumps would stand under a vent duct blowing 120 degree air as much as possible before venturing out into the 160. We'd reduce the length of watches from 5 hours to 3 because of heat stress. If I was out in the engineroom, I'd drink a gallon of water every three hours and still lose weight.

The worst part was showering. We turned off the water heaters in the bathrooms. The potable water tanks were in the bottom of the ship and the seawater temperatures were 105+ degrees so the cold water was hot tub temperature. There just wasn't a way to cool off.

Ken Robb
08-21-2019, 03:25 PM

A/C in your berthing area?

Mikej
08-21-2019, 03:30 PM
Humidity means NOTHING - dew point, now that's the m-fer -

zap
08-21-2019, 03:35 PM
Can't complain.

End of yesterday's ride it was 90f with humidity around 60%.

BdaGhisallo
08-21-2019, 03:51 PM
Humidity means NOTHING - dew point, now that's the m-fer -

Relative humidity and dew point are two sides of the same coin.

redir
08-21-2019, 03:52 PM
HEre in Virginia it's been feeling more like New Mexico. I think yesterday was the first time it rained in 3 weeks. I don't care for the humidity either but we don't live in a desert too and so it was nice to get rain.

BdaGhisallo
08-21-2019, 03:52 PM
I Just came home to Bermuda after spending the last two weeks in Manhattan. The increased humdity here at home is crippling!

cmg
08-21-2019, 03:54 PM
Oh, look it's not 100...........yet and there's a chance of rain. Typical to SA. enjoy.

bigbill
08-21-2019, 04:16 PM
A/C in your berthing area?

Some areas better than others. My stateroom would be in the mid 80's. The coolest place was in enlisted berthing where my divisions slept. If my room was too hot, I'd sleep on a couch in the crews lounge. On deployment I usually slept 3-4 hours a day, so 20 or so hours a day I was not in A/C.

Gsinill
08-21-2019, 04:18 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/F1tVpZS0/Untitled.png

(maybe with the exception of some elevated areas in the Smoky Mountains)

BobO
08-21-2019, 04:57 PM

Sigh....

Just remember last year when it was over 115*. :p

azrider
08-21-2019, 05:33 PM
Just remember last year when it was over 115*. :p

we had 116 up here last week......we've determined that Halloween is the new official time for when the oven turns off..........:(

R3awak3n
08-21-2019, 05:34 PM
soon yall be complaining about the cold. Its summer and this summer has not even been that bad.

BobO
08-21-2019, 05:45 PM
we had 116 up here last week......we've determined that Halloween is the new official time for when the oven turns off..........:(

We did have a really nice May and June this year.

Down here we are a few degrees cooler, and my home near Oro Valley hasn't been over 102 yet. The only part that's bugged me so far is the lack of monsoon to cool down the nights. Oh well, I have solar, A/C is cranked down. :p

Seramount
08-21-2019, 05:51 PM
I like summer, I don't mind riding when it's hot.

will take 100F over 40F any time. cold sucks...

think we've had over a month in triple digits, with another week to go...then it's gonna get brisk and drop down to mid- to low-90s.

brrrr....

choke
08-21-2019, 05:54 PM
I hate to get in a whizzing contest here, but has anyone other than me in this group done deployments to the Persian Gulf in the summer?I was there but in the spring so it was tolerable.

Hands down the worst place I've ever been was Okinawa. My first book of stamps and my first box of envelopes (the old school type you had to lick) glued themselves together in my wall locker. I also found mold growing on my spit shined boots. Once it got really hot we had to PT at 0500 because it would be black flag conditions by around 0730.

blantonator
08-21-2019, 06:10 PM
Come to Seattle, it hasnt gotten over 88° this summer and humidity under 50%

weisan
08-21-2019, 06:12 PM
Tired of the heat and humidity

Sorry pal, ain't nuthin' you or I can do about it.

hokoman
08-21-2019, 06:22 PM

fiamme red - I thought you were from Minnesota based on your mall location!

Oh, and to keep it on topic, I have been super lazy and haven't ridden in the last 3 weeks. Been falling asleep early, I think it is weather related.

Dead Man
08-21-2019, 06:30 PM
just sittin here with long sleeves and pants on, sipping hot chococoffee, listening to the rain fall outside my sittin-chair window, throw thrown over my socked feet... disassembled sailboat all over my wet driveway (can't epoxy keels in the rain), all kinda bikes leaning against stuff all over the place, climbing gear stuffed up in a corner.. cooped up a million miles away from anything with an insane 24 year old girlfriend crying about how i don't love her because i get pissed when she belittles me for my occasional erectile dysfunction

after all we've been through, this is the summer the gods send us...? lulz. what a bunch of dicks. somebody shoot a nuke over here, please

msriddle
08-21-2019, 06:31 PM
Come and try Ft Worth, TX. Hell, Texas anywhere. I’ve been living/riding here for 10 years, prior to that South FL. No comparison, TX makes SFL seem like a walk in the park.
You ride as soon as the sun comes up or you don’t ride.
We’ll cool off around Halloween. Jan & Feb are awesome in knickers and arm warmers.

azrider
08-21-2019, 06:32 PM
just sittin here with long sleeves and pants on, sipping hot chococoffee, listening to the rain fall outside my sittin-chair window, throw thrown over my socked feet... disassembled sailboat all over my wet driveway (can't epoxy keels in the rain), all kinda bikes leaning against stuff all over the place, climbing gear stuffed up in a corner.. cooped up a million miles away from anything with an insane 24 year old girlfriend crying about how i don't love her because i get pissed when she belittles me for my occasional erectile dysfunction

after all we've been through, this is the summer the gods send us...? lulz. what a bunch of dicks. somebody shoot a nuke over here, please

dude you are a dick.......but just because you're in long sleeves ;)

Hellgate
08-21-2019, 07:11 PM
Come and try Ft Worth, TX. Hell, Texas anywhere. I’ve been living/riding here for 10 years, prior to that South FL. No comparison, TX makes SFL seem like a walk in the park.

We’ll cool off around Halloween. Jan & Feb are awesome in knickers and arm warmers.25 years in Austin after growing up in Colorado. I hate Texas in August and September...

On a typical 3 hour tempo ride I come back 4.5 lbs lighter.

ColonelJLloyd
08-21-2019, 08:44 PM
time for a zwift campout

:hello:

steelbikerider
08-21-2019, 09:10 PM
I've enjoyed the last 2 days riding after work. Temps have dropped to around 90 with a dew point of 75 south of Houston, it almost seems cool. Much better than last week's 95+ and feels like 108

charliedid
08-21-2019, 09:25 PM
time for a zwift campout

This is funny

mod6
08-21-2019, 09:44 PM
I'm ready for winter as I love skiing probably more then riding. The heat and humidity we had on long Island this morning is a reminder why I could never live down south.

zap
08-22-2019, 08:43 AM
I'm ready for winter as I love skiing probably more then riding. The heat and humidity we had on long Island this morning is a reminder why I could never live down south.

I grew up in Canada and competed in XC & Biathlon. Loved it......especially crispy cold sunny -35C day's........selecting the right wax was supper easy.

When I moved to Washington, D.C. my first summer was hell. Then I got used to it. Moved to NC 3 years ago......summers are about the same as D.C.

What's great about heat and humidity is that with all the sweat covering arms and legs, if you go down you slide better on the pavement.

Kirk007
08-22-2019, 01:13 PM
Haven't read the whole thread so maybe someone else already mentioned but there was a recent article projecting heat and humidity changes over the next 10-30 years or so and comparing existing cities weather to the existing weather in other cities. Most moved way, way south, things like NYC being more like Mississippe etc. Just sayin'

Red Tornado
08-22-2019, 01:24 PM
We’ll cool off around Halloween. Jan & Feb are awesome in knickers and arm warmers.
Yes

25 years in Austin after growing up in Colorado. I hate Texas in August and September...

On a typical 3 hour tempo ride I come back 4.5 lbs lighter.

...and yes. However, I usually don't make it that long this time of year.

I'm smack dab in the middle between you guys (Waco area).

MerckxMad
08-22-2019, 07:35 PM
I’m with the OP. This summer has sucked on Long Island. The average highs haven’t been below 80 for months and the humidity seems to peek with highs in the 90s. I’m getting old and cranky. I’m looking past hurricane season and to the fall.

Likes2ridefar
08-22-2019, 07:42 PM
It was 115f during my bike commute home yesterday and accuweather said it was extreme UV with a real feel of 120f...

IMO felt hotter today though it was only 112F.

zambenini
08-22-2019, 07:46 PM
This is saddle sore season in the humidity here; things are extra swampy. Last year, summer went all the way through hurricane season, Oct. temps in the 90s sometimes. It was rough.

Today it was hot and humid and we had a great, strong line of summer t-storms come through ... I was getting out of class and planning on a MTB ride, but it was raining cats and dogs. I got a hunch and went to a trail on the west side of town right where the line had passed on the radar ... ish. Turned out it had cooled off with the front like everywhere but it hadn't had any rain! a few spits of rain while I was getting dressed at my van and one low rumble of thunder... after that, green grass and high tides.

Huge score. Trail was empty too. Catch as catch can. I'm ready for autumn leaves on the ground and cool air.

AngryScientist
08-22-2019, 07:50 PM
Thought this was an interesting article i read yesterday on topic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/08/climate-warms-cool-summer-evenings-are-first-go/596431/

be careful out there everyone in the heat. i got wacked harder than i thought i would a few weeks ago and it was ugly. check on your neighbors too, and watch out for each other.

fiamme red
08-22-2019, 07:58 PM
Thought this was an interesting article i read yesterday on topic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/08/climate-warms-cool-summer-evenings-are-first-go/596431/The nights have not given any relief lately in NYC. I'm not sure if that's a "heat island" effect (https://www.epa.gov/heat-islands) specific to the city.

Last night I woke up at 3 a.m. It was 80° and very humid. I don't own an air conditioner and get by with electric fans, and I was pretty miserable until I fell asleep again an hour later.

Ronsonic
08-22-2019, 09:12 PM

Sigh....

I'm in Florida, not as hot as it is there, but we're running so close to 100% humidity you'd have to be inside a cloud to get wetter.

Poured water over my head and back last ride.

It made me wetter but not cooler.

Caballero
08-22-2019, 10:06 PM
It’s been brutal here in Japan the last couple month. Today’s down to 31 with 86% humidity.
Sweat out all those toxins :banana:

bikinchris
08-22-2019, 11:02 PM

And when you are freezing your rear off in Dallas, south Florida still has to deal with heat, humidity and mosquitos.
Houston is hotter and more humid than Dallas year round too.

zmalwo
08-22-2019, 11:56 PM
I’ll take heat over cold any day of the week!

Me personally it would be dry heat -> cold -> humid heat.

Ken Robb
08-23-2019, 12:08 AM
Thanks for all the weather reports. When I get fed up with our crummy traffic I sometimes forget to be thankful for our weather. Really.:)

cbbr
08-23-2019, 07:19 AM
I would welcome back the 95f/90% humidity right now after a week of rain every day...

Cicli
08-23-2019, 07:27 AM
Well, its 76 here now. 5:30 am.
It will get to 98. I would rather have the summer heat than the winters I had in northern Iowa.
When we were house shopping. The family drove from Iowa to Chicago. It was -20 and windy in Iowa. Jumped on a plane at O’Hare and landed in Tucson. It was 72 5 hours away by plane. The wife bought a house with a mountain view and pool on the first visit. Done with the cold winters. In with the hot dry summers and no snow. I dont think I will miss it.

cbbr
08-23-2019, 01:03 PM
I have spent a lot of time in and around PHX - your mid 70's with the very low humidity is fantastic. Adding 90% humidity sucks.

Ken Robb
08-23-2019, 01:16 PM
I have spent a lot of time in and around PHX - your mid 70's with the very low humidity is fantastic. Adding 90% humidity sucks.

I have read that all the golf courses and lawns installed in Phoenix over the years have led to the increase in days that are both hot and humid compared to 50 years ago. That could be true.

Gsinill
08-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Well, its 76 here now. 5:30 am.
It will get to 98. I would rather have the summer heat than the winters I had in northern Iowa.
When we were house shopping. The family drove from Iowa to Chicago. It was -20 and windy in Iowa. Jumped on a plane at O’Hare and landed in Tucson. It was 72 5 hours away by plane. The wife bought a house with a mountain view and pool on the first visit. Done with the cold winters. In with the hot dry summers and no snow. I dont think I will miss it.

I take a 100 degrees in PHX over a "normal" 85 degree summer day in Chicago anytime.
As someone said before, dry heat over cold over heat and humidity.
I have to say thought that this summer has been awesome, especially since the polar vortex must have killed off the entire mosquito population :)

makoti
08-23-2019, 02:11 PM
I have read that all the golf courses and lawns installed in Phoenix over the years have led to the increase in days that are both hot and humid compared to 50 years ago. That could be true.

I had read that, as well. The desert was never meant to have golf courses.

Ozz
08-23-2019, 03:10 PM
Come to Seattle, it hasnt gotten over 88° this summer and humidity under 50%

Shhhhhh!!!!

Surfdog98
08-23-2019, 03:36 PM
Florida here as well, so August / September are the worst. I recently started riding early mornings ie 5am and have noticed a huge difference on long-ish rides as far as comfort and heart rate.
5-7am quite comfortable and riding "base" miles my HR is in 120-130 bpm range. 7-8am starts to feel warm, but HR is still in the range I am looking for. 8-9am it's feeling much warmer, and if I keep up the same pace, my HR starts to climb significantly. By 9am I'm looking forward to completing my ride, and if I've kept the same pace/effort, then my HR might be 150 bpm.
So, 20-30 bpm higher, mainly due to the hot/humid conditions....cardiac drift, big time.

cbbr
08-23-2019, 06:00 PM

That would be a true climate change issue for me.

I had read that, as well. The desert was never meant to have golf courses.

Amen.

Ronsonic
08-23-2019, 09:36 PM
Florida here as well, so August / September are the worst. I recently started riding early mornings ie 5am and have noticed a huge difference on long-ish rides as far as comfort and heart rate.
5-7am quite comfortable and riding "base" miles my HR is in 120-130 bpm range. 7-8am starts to feel warm, but HR is still in the range I am looking for. 8-9am it's feeling much warmer, and if I keep up the same pace, my HR starts to climb significantly. By 9am I'm looking forward to completing my ride, and if I've kept the same pace/effort, then my HR might be 150 bpm.
So, 20-30 bpm higher, mainly due to the hot/humid conditions....cardiac drift, big time.

Dig it. Tried doing intervals a couple weeks ago and the HR just never recovered. Yuck.

Gotta start getting out earlier like you are.