PDA

View Full Version : The New Rules!

BikeNY
08-21-2019, 12:14 PM
I'll just leave this here with no comment for now:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2400691/rules-for-cyclists?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=facebookpost&fbclid=IwAR02jOD2bixOeZr8qTnyf5paxKu2f0ipauv1RL1Ng K_SdsrPT2u_8Vkpf6I

oldpotatoe
08-21-2019, 12:45 PM
I'll just leave this here with no comment for now:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2400691/rules-for-cyclists?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=facebookpost&fbclid=IwAR02jOD2bixOeZr8qTnyf5paxKu2f0ipauv1RL1Ng K_SdsrPT2u_8Vkpf6I

popcorn out, feet up....:)

bicycletricycle
08-21-2019, 12:50 PM
I don't understand why you need to wear a helmet on a group ride.

mjb266
08-21-2019, 12:52 PM
I dig it...sounds like a guy who's ridden a few miles, and had time to think about what's truly important.

denapista
08-21-2019, 12:53 PM
What's the consensus on "Always waving at other cyclists"?

I once saw a funny sticker in SF "Just because we both ride bikes that doesn't make us friends.”.

mjb266
08-21-2019, 12:54 PM
I don't understand why you need to wear a helmet on a group ride.

Other people don't want to feel responsible for your TBI when they inadvertently crash you. They aren't 100% responsible, but it alleviates worries they will have to scrape your twitching corpse off the tarmac.

Dead Man
08-21-2019, 01:00 PM
Other people don't want to feel responsible for your TBI when they inadvertently crash you. They aren't 100% responsible, but it alleviates worries they will have to scrape your twitching corpse off the tarmac.

nah- other people don't want their anxieties devalued by someone who doesn't share them. it's uncomfortably pride-threatening.

beeatnik
08-21-2019, 01:10 PM
It's two things. Culture and Liability. If dudes expect you to wear a helmet, wear a helmet. It's not like there are any rules against wearing jorts or tank tops. Wear and ride what you want, but wear a helmet. As for liability, municipalities who deploy costly resources when responding to crashes on group rides expect all participants to use all the necessary safety equipment, ie, helmets.

bicycletricycle
08-21-2019, 01:12 PM

I think this is probably the best argument. I just don't agree with it. I have to wear something because of your emotional fragility?

donevwil
08-21-2019, 01:13 PM
Even triathletes? No way!

bicycletricycle
08-21-2019, 01:17 PM
Even triathletes? No way!

Shock horror, I even wave to people on skateboards and rollerblades, I even wave to people in cars

FlashUNC
08-21-2019, 01:20 PM
I think this is probably the best argument. I just don't agree with it. I have to wear something because of your emotional fragility?

Little of that, a lot of some folks would rather not watch someone die in the street on a group ride due to a preventable TBI.

Therapy and prescription drugs are hella expensive.

GOTHBROOKS
08-21-2019, 01:35 PM
uh oh, cookie man said “butthurt”.

Matthew
08-21-2019, 02:25 PM
If you don't wear a helmet and you go down that's on you. Everyone knows the inherent risks of riding, especially in group rides. It's a matter of when, not if.

vqdriver
08-21-2019, 02:26 PM
music was annoying. list starts at 1:05 if you want, but here's the break down:

1 - have fun
2 - wear what you want
3 - nothing on your bike/body has to match
4 - gran fondo something......
5 - pedestrians > cyclists > cars - obey traffic laws
6 - wave
7 - helmets on group rides, otherwise you do you
8 - strava - don't get butthurt
9 - don't litter
10 - don't have to ride if you don't wanna
11 - don't be a jerk

kohagen
08-21-2019, 02:37 PM
I love this video.

weiwentg
08-21-2019, 02:45 PM

There's a genuine concern over legal liability if you show up helmetless to an organized group ride, even a loosely organized one. You might be a staunch libertarian and decline to sue the group, but not everyone is quite that staunch.

In his original formulation (https://philthethrill.net/the-new-rules-of-cycling-aka-philuminati/) on his website, Phil was a bit more nuanced about this:

Rule #7: If you’re not into helmets that’s your decision, but do respect the policies of who you’re riding with. We don’t helmet shame (adult) strangers we see without them, but don’t show up on the group ride like that if that’s not how everyone else does it.

In this version, if you're in a group ride where helmets are optional, that's fine. I don't know how many groups there are that do this. Probably no or very few teams. I suspect people riding with friends.

jtbadge
08-21-2019, 02:47 PM
If a group requests/requires riders to wear helmets, and you are so anti-helmet that you're going to raise a stink about it, why do you even want to ride with them?

Mattre
08-21-2019, 02:55 PM
What's the consensus on "Always waving at other cyclists"?

I once saw a funny sticker in SF "Just because we both ride bikes that doesn't make us friends.”.

There's a cycling trail here where if you waved at every cyclist you would never have both hands on the bars. But if I'm on a less traveled road I definitely like to wave.

William
08-21-2019, 03:04 PM
There's a cycling trail here where if you waved at every cyclist you would never have both hands on the bars. But if I'm on a less traveled road I definitely like to wave.

Just nod your head and yell YO!!! :)

W.

beeatnik
08-21-2019, 03:23 PM
If a group requests/requires riders to wear helmets, and you are so anti-helmet that you're going to raise a stink about it, why do you even want to ride with them?

Serio

bicycletricycle
08-21-2019, 03:47 PM
Nobody wants to see the list of things I don't want to see on the street :)

Little of that, a lot of some folks would rather not watch someone die in the street on a group ride due to a preventable TBI.

Therapy and prescription drugs are hella expensive.

denapista
08-21-2019, 03:48 PM

For the gram...

bicycletricycle
08-21-2019, 03:49 PM
The legal liability issue is a real nightmare right now. enforcing a helmet rule will nor save you. I am paranoid to even invite friends on a ride for this reason. Not because i am afraid of them sueing me but their insurance company.

There's a genuine concern over legal liability if you show up helmetless to an organized group ride, even a loosely organized one. You might be a staunch libertarian and decline to sue the group, but not everyone is quite that staunch.

In his original formulation (https://philthethrill.net/the-new-rules-of-cycling-aka-philuminati/) on his website, Phil was a bit more nuanced about this:

In this version, if you're in a group ride where helmets are optional, that's fine. I don't know how many groups there are that do this. Probably no or very few teams. I suspect people riding with friends.

redir
08-21-2019, 04:04 PM
That's pretty funny.

I don't wear a helmet normally but I always do on group rides where everyone else is simply to not be a dbag. It's as simple as that. And when every single story about a cyclist crashing in the news the very first thing they say is he was or was not wearing a helmet you know that goes all the way up to the courts and would ruing the group ride.

93KgBike
08-21-2019, 05:57 PM
The local club's insurance policy is sobering - it requires helmets and lights to participate.

I have been wearing a hunter orange smith overtake for 6 years or so, and on days like today I really wonder if it's helpful.

I didn't wear one in the 70's, 80's or most of the 90's.

Tho' I also remember my head burning up under a cap.

GOTHBROOKS
08-21-2019, 06:04 PM
its such a weird look to be in full kit and no helmet. like, youre already pretty much all the way there. why dont you go all the way?

beeatnik
08-21-2019, 06:11 PM
its such a weird look to be in full kit and no helmet. like, youre already pretty much all the way there. why dont you go all the way?

MM knows what's up. No helmet means no kit.

https://live.staticflickr.com/968/41062183355_a830c8d24f_h.jpg[

joosttx
08-21-2019, 06:12 PM
MM knows what's up. No helmet means no kit.

https://live.staticflickr.com/968/41062183355_a830c8d24f_h.jpg[

no diet...

earlfoss
08-21-2019, 06:12 PM
IDGAF about anyone's rules

beeatnik
08-21-2019, 06:18 PM
No helmet, no kit. This guy knows what's up.

beeatnik
08-21-2019, 06:20 PM
Helmet and no kit. These guys know what's up.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4212/35656328652_c190a5d9a5_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/4212/35656326662_b732d8135e_h.jpg

beeatnik
08-21-2019, 06:27 PM
No helmet with kit. Ok for foto shootz!

https://live.staticflickr.com/2926/33597876490_b8c4e38fbe_b.jpg

jtbadge
08-21-2019, 06:54 PM
Can one of the “new rules” be to stop body shaming?

WNC rider
08-21-2019, 06:55 PM
this was posted on youtube over 3 months ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnhYPZUpe5c

Hellgate
08-21-2019, 07:01 PM
Even triathletes? No way!I flip them off when they don't wave back.

Gummee
08-21-2019, 07:14 PM
IDGAF about anyone's rulesYou really should obey Rule #5 and Rule #9 AFA the rest? Meh.

I don't wear gloves when I'm riding solo because I'm pretty sure I'm not going to crash myself out. Group rides? Races? Different story. I wear full finger gloves when I'm riding with more than just a buddy.

If I'm riding down to the shop, or to grab something from the store, I may not wear a helmet. 'Going riding?' Always.

Same with moto gear. If I'm riding for errands, I'll wear MOTTGATT (skipping dedicated riding pants for Draggin or other jeans) I'll deal with road rash. 'Going riding?'
ATTGATT to include some flavor of riding pants.

...but those are my preferences. You do you.

M

warren128
08-21-2019, 07:32 PM
The waving one is news to me. When did that become a thing? I usually just say "hi", etc., with both my hands on the bars... :)

When I had Corvettes, I used to wave at other Vettes. One day, I saw a very nice Mustang while driving in my Vette so I decided to give it a wave. I got a the "finger" in return. Jerk. :bike::rolleyes:

mudman
08-21-2019, 07:47 PM
Helmets for group are a necessity. The liability for shops that host rides is huge. Two local shops won’t host anymore because of insurance riders being $$.

beeatnik
08-21-2019, 07:55 PM
no diet...

That's a mean thing to say about tractor tires.

josephr
08-21-2019, 08:40 PM

I don't think its emotional fragility when you've literally had to help three fellow cyclists into an ambulance...two ended up with concussions --- one's helmet served double duty by protecting her from another rider's rear wheel's glancing blow.

charliedid
08-21-2019, 09:14 PM
I just wave at dogs being walked by their people.

Ronsonic
08-21-2019, 09:22 PM

Around here we do that thing where you extend your fingers out, together horizontally.

Can go with a nod.

dmurphey
08-21-2019, 09:33 PM
Rules??
Will we stand for mix and match kit?
Will we fail to Harden TFU?
Will we quit riding in the crappy weather to be PC?
I say No,
Stand up for Rule #9
Stand up for black bottoms or full on kit.
There are standards for the western world to uphold.
Or just ride your bike and be nice, What-ever.

BTW, I have not seen IDGAF before , that is funny.

ergott
08-21-2019, 09:34 PM
music was annoying. list starts at 1:05 if you want, but here's the break down:

1 - have fun
2 - wear what you want
3 - nothing on your bike/body has to match
4 - gran fondo something......
5 - pedestrians > cyclists > cars - obey traffic laws
6 - wave
7 - helmets on group rides, otherwise you do you
8 - strava - don't get butthurt
9 - don't litter
10 - don't have to ride if you don't wanna
11 - don't be a jerk

Thank you. I couldn't get past the music.

charliedid
08-21-2019, 09:35 PM
No helmet, no kit. This guy knows what's up.

I bet that guy crushes it.

steelbikerider
08-21-2019, 09:41 PM
A friend of mine always waves. When another cyclist wouldn't back after repeated attepts, my buddy pulled a Phil and took away his KOM's.

beeatnik
08-22-2019, 12:05 AM
I bet that guy crushes it.

Plastic bags at the ankles are aero!

kiwisimon
08-22-2019, 03:13 AM

it does make us both prey or vulnerable people. Safety in numbers, so if you can be part of a community why not spend 1/2 a calorie on some security?

I live where cyclists are few and far between so when we see others we wave or nod. It's kind of like karma if you mechanical and want someone to ask if you're okay (which I always do).

Drmojo
08-22-2019, 04:40 AM
it does make us both prey or vulnerable people. Safety in numbers, so if you can be part of a community why not spend 1/2 a calorie on some security?

I live where cyclists are few and far between so when we see others we wave or nod. It's kind of like karma if you mechanical and want someone to ask if you're okay (which I always do).

Agree 100%
I read the rules weeks ago
I am full blood Philuminati
I wave at everyone
Cyclists
Trikes
Unicycles
Peds
Joggers
Riding across the US we played a game:
wave at pick-up drivers
No wave back: zero points
One finger lift from steering wheel: one point
Two fingers two points
And so on.
It relieved the tedium of 3400 miles
and of course town line, county line state line
sprints
State lines were worth more of course

oldpotatoe
08-22-2019, 05:55 AM
It's two things. Culture and Liability. If dudes expect you to wear a helmet, wear a helmet. It's not like there are any rules against wearing jorts or tank tops. Wear and ride what you want, but wear a helmet. As for liability, municipalities who deploy costly resources when responding to crashes on group rides HOPE all participants use all the necessary safety equipment, ie, helmets.

FIFY-Copy to motorcycle riders..if there isn't a mandatory motorcycle helmet law in your state..

I don't ride in groups, but I wore a helmet when I did..some real knuckleheads sometimes show up..BUT remember..a helmet 'may help, never hurt'..but not a panacea..

BUT C'mon, don't make this into a helmet thread!!

oldpotatoe
08-22-2019, 06:03 AM
I just wave at dogs being walked by their people.

HA!! Mee too..I say a quiet 'arf' when I pass a person with a dog..the dog's sometimes say 'arf' in return.:)

Waving..nope..What bugs me YUGELY is when somebody passes w/o saying anything on their strava KOM attempt..DON'T want to be their lifelong friend but want to know they are there so if I have to dodge a praire dog(lots out right now), I don't take us both down..YO!!

fignon's barber
08-22-2019, 06:37 AM
The legal liability issue is a real nightmare right now. enforcing a helmet rule will nor save you. I am paranoid to even invite friends on a ride for this reason. Not because i am afraid of them sueing me but their insurance company.

This. A couple months ago, I got clipped above the eyebrow playing hockey. Just one stitch. About a month later, I get a very formal letter from United Health (my insurance) asking me to document the incident and if anyone else was at fault. I actually collided with a team mate while circling thru the neutral zone at high speed. Two weeks after the letter, I got a phone call probing me to see if the other player could be held liable. Insurance companies are getting very aggressive in this regard.

stien
08-22-2019, 06:38 AM
I can completely understand an adult not wanting to helmet up for the MUP, (I've seen way more crashes there than on the road, low speed, a given) but if you're with your kid, set a good example and protect your noggin.

\rant

charliedid
08-22-2019, 08:27 AM
HA!! Mee too..I say a quiet 'arf' when I pass a person with a dog..the dog's sometimes say 'arf' in return.:)

Waving..nope..What bugs me YUGELY is when somebody passes w/o saying anything on their strava KOM attempt..DON'T want to be their lifelong friend but want to know they are there so if I have to dodge a praire dog(lots out right now), I don't take us both down..YO!!

Ditto

I'm more of a WOOF guy. Sometimes I wanna bark....not at the dogs :p