PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tubulars.....

jhcakilmer
12-18-2006, 11:43 PM
I have a buddy that is building a set of carbon wheels......nimble fly rims, and is looking for tires to compliment the ride. I've read quite and I'm leaning towards Veloflex, but I was wondering what make and model you've tried, and recommend, Thanks!

LOTUS
12-19-2006, 12:29 AM
I'm very happy with my dugast silks and dugast sp for my trianing/long distance rides.

ergott
12-19-2006, 04:44 AM
veloflex and nimble fly rims, good combo!

sspielman
12-19-2006, 06:23 AM
Veloflex is the king of tubulars....end of rant....

Hardlyrob
12-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Veloflex Carbon

Conti sprinters are nice too and pretty bullteproof, but I don't think the ride is as nice as veloflex.

terrytnt
12-19-2006, 08:54 AM
Veloflex period

Veloflex Carbon and Criterium are basically the same tire, slightly different tread design, black-wall (carbon) gum coloring (Criterium). Either will mate well with the Nimble Fly!

djg
12-19-2006, 09:04 AM
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that I really like the veloflex tires.

Like everyone else.

I've used the criterium model (excellent) and the roubaix (also excellent, but maybe not quite what you want in this context).

dirtdigger88
12-19-2006, 09:24 AM
I see djg mentioned the Roubaix model-

anyone else tried these

Jason

jhcakilmer
12-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Can you expand on what other tubis that you tried, and why Veloflex seems to be the favorite? Thanks

bostondrunk
12-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Conti Competitions. Best out there, and cheaper than Veloflex.

IMHO BRO CHEERS ATMO 'GETS IT'

Too Tall
12-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Dewd! Welcome to the church of tubular tyres. Parish members have tried them all and these are the popular favs. I use Veloflex crits on my fly wheelset and stick with that for racing...it is an perfect fit and a d@mn supple tyre. Sprinters are for general training, commuting and spring training crits. in these here parts! Conti. Competitions are fine tyres infact I've switched to them for commuting because they are so durable but the ride is not in the same league as Veloflex. I've tried any number of other nice rides like gommitalia and vittorix cx but keep coming back to the two mentioned.

Hey! Congrats. on the Nimbles, these are some of the finest carbon rims $$ can buy.

BigDaddySmooth
12-19-2006, 07:49 PM
I like Vittoria Rally and Conti Giro. They ride way better than Veloflex. NOT!

Veloflex all the way! I've never had any tubular where the front and rear need the same number of strokes to pump them up equally than w/ Veloflex. I think the QA on these pups is excellent.

flydhest
12-19-2006, 09:37 PM
TooTall,
I've just got a set of Conti Competitions, as well and have commuted on them for the past two days. They're pretty good, no?

Funny you and I should have the same tyres, though . . .

Too Tall
12-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Funny like as in clowns that confuse you and than you feel like scratching your arm until it bleeds or funny haha like we need more troops in Iraq funny? Clarify? OH, F.Y.I. nice tyres yo :)

Rover-Rich
12-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Hey TT, did you ever try those Challenge Paris-Roubaix tubulars they sell at Yellow Jersey? How do they ride?

mike p
12-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Conti Competitions. Best out there, and cheaper than Veloflex.

IMHO BRO CHEERS ATMO 'GETS IT'

I agree with the drunk, conti's both comp's and sprinters. Decent price and performance.

Mike

H.Frank Beshear
12-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey TT, did you ever try those Challenge Paris-Roubaix tubulars they sell at Yellow Jersey? How do they ride?

He did, I did, stay away, btw vittoria will have the pave available in 27 this year :banana: I've got a few thousand miles on the 24's wonderful tires. Worth the extra pm for details on the challenge's. Frank

Too Tall
12-23-2006, 06:22 AM
RR. yes, I burned thru three of them and they ride like buttah HOWEVER they are not well made and fairly delicate. This is not to steer you clear just with a warning to use them in good conditions and don't glue them agressively...thin light coats of glue for these puppies. Talk to Frank, he has a line on some new FAT tubulars arriving and they look great. He gave me a shout and said one is a Conti. in 27mm(?) which am sure will be one heck of a great tyre as all the better conti. tyres are.

H.Frank Beshear
12-23-2006, 08:07 AM
Hers a link to the Contis (http://conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20gp4000tub.shtml) It's the UK site but they are going to imported here. My lbs has them on order from Highway2. Bikemine is supposed to be getting the Vittoria (http://www.vittoria.com/index3.asp?pagina=http%3A//www.vittoria.com/prodotto.asp%3Fid%3D2&lingua=en) pave's in 27 this year. I've used the 24's for a couple years and they have been a very good tire plus the green matches the decals on the Kirk :D I'll report back when I actually have them in hand. Have a safe and enjoyable holiday. Frank

Big Dan
12-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Just finished my second ride on a pair of Continental Sprinters Gatorskin.
At 8 bars they ride hard like regular Sprinters, but were rounder and easier to mount.
Let's see how long they last.... :)

PBWrench
12-23-2006, 10:13 AM
No props recorded here for Tufos. I've had good luck with various models and have a pair on my Nimble Flys at the moment. Veloflex also rock.

Rover-Rich
12-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks Frank and TT for the info. Frank I have a set of the Paves on Ambrosio rims, very awesome, but the green doesn't "go" with my red Kirk. I checked the link for the Conti's and they look good, let me know when you try them out.

TT if the Challenge's are delicate then they are probably not well for my area, thanks for the heads up. Oh TT if you see Donnie this Holiday, tell him Lana and I say "Hi!". I think my wife lost his address to send a card.

Very Happy Holidays to all!

RR