PDA

View Full Version : Thru axle weirdness... or not

marciero
08-15-2019, 06:40 PM
Do you see anything strange here? I've had this bike about two years and just noticing this. Is this normal?

marciero
08-15-2019, 06:49 PM
Okay after staring at it I think I see what's going on. The bike is supposed to be convertible from TA to QR. The whitish holes are screw holes for screws that hold the outer plate/insert in. The outer plate is the retainer that holds the hex nut. It is this retainer that swaps out for QR/ I'm guessing the hex nut is eccentric to account for the retainer being eccentric, which is necessary to accommodate the two small screws. My issue is that there can only be one correct way to insert the hex nut that will align the axle properly. It is possible to insert it in six different orientations. I've been chasing creaking and this cant be good.
My guess is that I will want to rotate clockwise one more flat.

jbay
08-15-2019, 08:29 PM
I suspect it’s a variation on Syntace’s idea of eccentric inserts for their X12 system (https://bikerumor.com/2015/02/08/paragon-machine-works-launches-syntace-x12-thru-axle-dropouts-for-custom-framebuilders/), to allow wheels to be properly aligned if the thru-axle dropouts are a little off.

— John

marciero
08-15-2019, 08:50 PM
I suspect it’s a variation on Syntace’s idea of eccentric inserts for their X12 system (https://bikerumor.com/2015/02/08/paragon-machine-works-launches-syntace-x12-thru-axle-dropouts-for-custom-framebuilders/), to allow wheels to be properly aligned if the thru-axle dropouts are a little off.

— John

Ah...Okay so I should probably check the alignment of the wheel. This is not so straightforward since there is a flat bar/yoke on the DS side chainstay to give clearance, so asymmetrical. I'm not getting any disc brake rub... Maybe I just rotate until the creak goes away.

charliedid
08-15-2019, 09:33 PM
Clean your bike or no dessert for you mister...:p

pbarry
08-15-2019, 09:36 PM
Lube

commonguy001
08-16-2019, 07:37 AM
Lynskey’s design for TA has a bunch of different offset end nuts to get the wheel square in the frame.

I’m assuming it’s a Lynskey...

oldpotatoe
08-16-2019, 08:00 AM
Ah...Okay so I should probably check the alignment of the wheel. This is not so straightforward since there is a flat bar/yoke on the DS side chainstay to give clearance, so asymmetrical. I'm not getting any disc brake rub... Maybe I just rotate until the creak goes away.

Or note the orientation, take the assembly apart, clean and lube it and re-assemble..